Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Duluth, Minnesota Historical Markers

 
Albert Woolson Statue and Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., October 10, 2014
Albert Woolson Statue and Marker
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Albert Woolson
Born February 11, 1847 Watertown, N.Y. Died August 2, 1956 Duluth, Mn. Battery C 1st Minnesota Heavy Artillery The Last Union Survivor — Map (db m79050) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Boat House and Pier
Hesperia, the name given to the Congdon's yacht, was a family name. Registered as a yacht in Lloyd's Register of American Yachts, 1911, the Hesperia was constructed of wood with a raised deck design. The boat was powered by an internal . . . — Map (db m26552) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Canal
Very early Duluth felt that future growth would depend on having suitable harbor and dockage. Winter storms wrecked breakwater and docks built outside Minnesota Point. St. Louis Bay offered a protected harbor, but access required a canal be dug . . . — Map (db m2913) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Capstan
Deck capstans were used on sailing ships centuries ago to handle anchor lines on the heaviest of the ship's tackle. This cast iron geared capstan was recovered from the sunken schooner Samuel P. Ely at Two Harbors, Minnesota, where the ship sunk . . . — Map (db m79002) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Clayton Jackson McGhie Memorial
An event has happened, upon which it is difficult to speak and impossible to remain silent. Elias Clayton Elmer Jackson Isaac McGhie On June 15, 1920, following the alleged rape of a young woman, Duluth police locked up a . . . — Map (db m46978) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — SL-DUT-002 — Clifton–French River
Clifton, first townsite surveyed in the United States section of the North Shore, was platted west of the mouth of the French River in 1855. The river was known to early explorers as Riviere des Francais. Rumors of nearby copper deposits resulted . . . — Map (db m43766) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Daniel De Gresolon, Sieur Du Lhut
The near-by canal marks the site of Little Portage on Minnesota Point crossed on June 27, 1679 by Daniel De Gresolon, Sieur Du Lhut, a gentleman of the Royal Guard of Louis XIV on his way to explore the Upper Mississippi. — Map (db m2876) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Dedicated to Davis Helberg
In recognition of his non-tiring commitment to the maritime community and service as Duluth Seaway Port Authority executive director for 24 years, 1979-2003. A native of and lifelong resident of Northern Minnesota, Davis began his career as a . . . — Map (db m5584) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Determined Mariner Artist: Richard Salews / Medium: bronze / 1992
Artist Richard Salews shows us a Great Lakes mariner steering his Mackinaw boat on a broad reach perhaps in the late 1800s. The 30-50 foot Mackinaws were used extensively on the lakes before steam and internal-combustion engines appeared. . . . — Map (db m78875) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Duluth Japanese Peace Bell Garden
In 2005, a group of citizens from Duluth and Ohara (now Isumi City), Japan proposed to honor the Sister Cities relationships between our two cities by creating an authentic environment for the Peace Bell placed in Duluth's Enger Park in 1994. . . . — Map (db m78732) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Duluth Union Depot
Completed in 1892 Designed by R.S. Peabody & J.G. Stearns Boston Listed in the National Register of Historic Places 1971 St. Louis County Historical Society ———————— St. Louis . . . — Map (db m79051) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Duluth–Superior Harbor
Duluth-Superior harbor is the westernmost terminus of the St. Lawrence Seaway and the world's most inland seaport. Harbor commerce began when Daniel Greysolon Sieur Du Luht portaged across Minnesota Point in 1679 where the Duluth Aerial Lift Bridge . . . — Map (db m4827) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Edgar A. Culbertson BM1
This plaque is dedicated by the people of Duluth to the memory of a fellow citizen, Coast Guard Boatswains Mate First Class, Edgar A. Culbertson, who on the night of April 30, 1967 gave his life attempting to rescue three teen-age brothers stranded . . . — Map (db m2758) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Enger Observation Tower
To the memory of Bert J. Enger 1864 – 1931 Native of Norway Citizen of Duluth From Common Laborer to Merchant Prince, he demonstrated in his own life that America is a land of opportunity for the immigrant, and that her . . . — Map (db m4807) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Float Copper
This piece of float copper was dredged from the Keweenaw Waterway, Michigan, by the hydraulic dredge "New Jersey"; on May 27, 1932, while working under contract with the United States Engineers Office, Duluth. It was presented to the office by . . . — Map (db m78985) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — SL-DUL-242 — Fond du Lac
Fond du Lac was incorporated in 1857 and became a part of the City of Duluth in 1895. This is the site of a major Chippewa Indian settlement from the sixteenth through the nineteenth centuries and is situated on the early canoe route along the St. . . . — Map (db m43723) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Fond du Lac – Minnesota
Site of Ojibway Village from earliest known period Daniel Greysolon, Sieur du Luth was here in 1679 Astor's American Fur Company established a trading post on this spot about 1817 First Ojibway Treaty in Minnesota made here in 1826 . . . — Map (db m43725) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Glensheen, A Family Legacy
Campus Heritage Marker University of Minnesota Duluth Glensheen, A Family Legacy Glensheen estate was built between 1905 and 1908 for attorney Chester Adgate Congdon, his wife Clara Bannister Congdon and their . . . — Map (db m6603) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Illumination History of the Aerial Lift Bridge
The first lighting was on November 20, 1970, made possible through the contributions of Duluth school children, citizens, business people and visitors. The present dramatic lighting, first seen on July 4, 1987, is made possible through a . . . — Map (db m2883) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Japanese Peace Bell Garden
This garden celebrates Duluth's sister city relationship with Ohara Isumi-City, Japan. THE PEACE BELL During World War II, the Japanese government instructed villages to donate metal to be melted down for ammunition. Ohara Isumi-City . . . — Map (db m78731) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Jay Cooke
Perhaps no individual in the history of Duluth had such a dramatic influence on the port's infant development than Jay Cooke, a Philadelphia financier. Cooke's reign at the Head-of-the-Lakes was brief, but all-encompassing for commercial . . . — Map (db m6379) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Leif Erikson
Leif Erikson Discoverer of America 1000 A. D. sponsored and erected by the Norwegian American League of Duluth, Minnesota and Popular Subscription presented to the City of Duluth, Minnesota August 25, 1956. Designed . . . — Map (db m6323) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Lewis G. Castle
Honoring Lewis G. Castle in recognition of his part as a volunteer leader in gaining the seaway and as the administer of the St. Lawrence Seaway Development Corporation. The seaway, completed in 1959, represented decades of dreams, . . . — Map (db m2910) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — McDougall Patent Anchor 1891
Unique apparatus invented by Duluth's Captain Alexander McDougall for use on his whaleback ships. About fifty appear to have been produced at the American Steelbarge Company Shipyard in Superior. This one was recovered in 1977 from the wreck of . . . — Map (db m79003) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Minnesota's Oldest Concrete Pavement
The streets of this Duluth neighborhood are the first concrete pavements constructed in Minnesota. They were built of portland cement concrete in 1909 and 1910 and ushered in the era of modern roads and streets in the state. A distinctive feature of . . . — Map (db m44081) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Modern Ship Anchor
This Navy-style stockless anchor is the type used on all modern ships and, at 3 tons, it is typical of those carried on 8-10,000 ton freighters. A usual rule of thumb provides that a vessel's anchor chain should be three times the depth of the . . . — Map (db m79001) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Modern Ship Propeller
This propeller wheel is typical of those used to drive Lakes freighters. It measures 14 feet 5 inches in diameter and weighs over 11 tons; being made of a special bronze alloy, its value exceeds 10,000 dollars. The propeller was removed from the . . . — Map (db m78977) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Northwoods Sailors
Department of the Navy United States of America — Navy Operational Support Center Duluth, Minnesota May all who pass this memorial recognize the brave men and women who have served in the United States Navy. This memorial stands . . . — Map (db m5818) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Ohara Peace Bell
The following is a translation of the text found on the bell. This bell, The Japan-US Friendship Peace Bell, is a close replica of the bell displayed in Ohara Park in the town of Ohara, Chiba Japan. It was cast in commemoration of the Sister . . . — Map (db m78734) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Oneota
Originally the area below was called Oneota, one of several early towns which survived to form modern Duluth. Oneota was the site of the first sawmill in the region, built in 1855 at the present site of the iron ore docks. Among the early . . . — Map (db m78736) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Priley Fountain / Duluth Civic Center
Priley Fountain In grateful recognition to Joseph C. Priley for his unselfish and dedicated efforts to beautify Duluth July 26, 1970 Duluth Civic Center has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by . . . — Map (db m49827) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Rice's Point
Rice's Point separates Duluth-Superior's outer from it's inner harbor, and is a focal point of Duluth's industrial activity. Many of the city's bridges can be seen, among them the Aerial Lift Bridge to the left, the John A. Blatnik Bridge straight . . . — Map (db m4965) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Rotary Club of Duluth 100th Anniversary
Rotary International The first Rotary Club was formed in Chicago in 1905 by a young attorney named Paul Harris who desired to discuss areas of common concern with other local business executives. They quickly decided to contribute . . . — Map (db m78749) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — The History of the Duluth Rose Garden Rose Tips from the Lake Superior Rose Society
The Duluth Rose Society in Leif Erikson Park initially began as a joint effort between the City and the Duluth Rose Society. First envisioned by Mrs. Ausma Klints, the community garden was created with the help of Mrs. Virginia Sellwood and Mrs. . . . — Map (db m79505) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — The Skyline Parkway
As you face Lake Superior, you will find that the eastern access to the Skyline Parkway, a 30-mile drive along the rim of the hills overlooking Duluth and Lake Superior, begins here to your right on the left bank of the Lester River. As you proceed . . . — Map (db m44599) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — Trotman Folding Stock Anchor 1892
Conventional ship's anchor used from about 1870 to 1910, from the Whaleback steamer Thomas Wilson, sunk a half mile outside Duluth Piers. Recovered in 1973 by the U.S.C.G. Cutter Woodrush with divers Elmer Engman, Dave Anderson, Dan Goman and Paul . . . — Map (db m21027) HM
Minnesota (Saint Louis County), Duluth — United States Merchant Marine / U.S. Navy Armed Guard
The United States Merchant Marine In recognition of those who serve their country in war and peace time to those 250,000 who served in world war II to those 670 who were taken prisoner to those 6,700 plus who gave their lives . . . — Map (db m5433) HM

37 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement