Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Scranton, Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
"Old Main" Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., July 13, 2019
"Old Main" Marker
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — "Old Main" — University of Scranton Centennial
On Wyoming Avenue south of Mulberry Street, on the right when traveling south.

On this site on August 12, 1888, Bishop William O'Hara laid the cornerstone for "Old Main," the original building for St. Thomas College, now the University of Scranton, northeastern Pennsylvania's oldest four-year college. Presently located on . . . — Map (db m136640) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — 1865 Inspection Pit
Near Mechanic Street, on the right when traveling east.
Steamtown's historic roundhouse complex consists of the above - and below - ground remains of a series of roundhouses and turntables built by the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad between 1865 and 1937. In advance of the new exhibit . . . — Map (db m19837) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — 1902 Anthracite Coal Strike
On Adams Avenue 0.1 miles north of Spruce Street, on the left when traveling north.
In May 1902, 150,000 mineworkers struck for six months for union recognition, higher wages, shorter hours, and other demands. The Anthracite Coal Strike Commission, set up by President Theodore Roosevelt, held hearings at the Lackawanna County . . . — Map (db m67827) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — 1902 Roundhouse Office
Near Mechanic Street, on the right when traveling east.
Across the tracks, adjacent to the back of the new exhibit building, is the historic 1902 roundhouse office - headquarters of the roundhouse foreman. Built in 1902, the roundhouse office is one of the oldest surviving buildings in the Delaware, . . . — Map (db m19899) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — 1902 Roundhouse Section
Near Mechanic Street, on the right when traveling east.
The Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad built its second roundhouse in this location in 1902. When first constructed, this building was part of a forty-six-stall roundhouse. After an extensive modernization program in 1937, only the three . . . — Map (db m19893) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — 1902/1937 Inspection Pit
Near Mechanic Street, on the right when traveling east.
Stalls inside the 1902/1937 roundhouse had below-grade work pits. These shallow brick and concrete-lined pits ran down the center of each stall and extended from the front to the rear walls of the roundhouse. Upon a locomotive's arrival at the . . . — Map (db m19835) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — 1902/1937 Roundhouse
Near Mechanic Street, on the right when traveling east.
The roundhouse was and is the heart of the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western (DL&W) yards. Here, mechanics perform daily maintenance on steam locomotives - routine inspections, light repairs, and boiler washes. Hissing steam, pounding hammers, and the . . . — Map (db m19833) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — 2 LT Carol Ann Drazba, RN — Army of the United States of America — December 11, 1943 - February 18, 1966 —
On Franklin Street at Mulberry Street (U.S. 11), on the right when traveling north on Franklin Street.

2 LT Carol Ann Drazba, RN, US Army 51st Field Hospital - 3rd Field Hospital, Saigon 68th Medical Group - 44th Medical Bde

2 LT Carol Ann Drazba, RN, a Dumore native, answered her country's call to minister to the sick, wounded and dying . . . — Map (db m116456) HM WM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — 200th Anniversary of the U.S. Constitution
On Mulberry Street east of Arthur Avenue, on the left when traveling east.

Presented to City of Scranton, Lackawanna County on the 200th Anniversary of the U.S. Constitution 1787-1987 — Map (db m116769) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — A 13,000 lb. Black Diamond

This solid chunk of pure anthracite coal would heat a single family home for a year. The Jeddo-Highland Coal Company pulled this from the Mammoth Vein at their Ebervale Site in Hazleton, Pa.

This 6½ ton block was . . . — Map (db m139071) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — A Tribute to Anthracite Coal Miners

This monument is dedicated to the thousands of anthracite coal miners whose labor under inhuman working conditions served as an inspiration to people of the United States and to the world. The heroic contribution of the miners is unparalleled . . . — Map (db m105655) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Abraham Lincoln — 1809 - 1865
On Washington Avenue at Mulberry Street (Pennsylvania Route 307), on the left when traveling south on Washington Avenue.

Beloved savior of the Union Presented on his bicentennial February 12, 2009 — Map (db m113451) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Avondale Mine Disaster
On Washburn Street at Morris Avenue, on the left when traveling west on Washburn Street.

Here in the Washburn Cemetery lie the remains of 61 of the 110 victims of the September 6, 1869, Avondale Mine disaster in Plymouth Township, Luzerne County. The miners, most of whom were of Welsh descent, were interred on September 9, . . . — Map (db m99116) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Avondale Mine Disaster Victims

On September 6, 1869, the mine shaft at the Avondale Mine near Plymouth, PA caught fire. 108 men and boys lost their lives when their only chance of escape was blocked. Two rescuers also perished. Avondale stands as the most deadly . . . — Map (db m139417) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Benjamin Franklin Firefighter Memorial — No One is a Stranger in the Eyes of a Firefighter
On Mulberry Street (Pennsylvania Route 307) east of Washington Avenue, on the right when traveling east.

This memorial is in honor of all firefighters.

It was in Philadelphia, Pa that Benjamin Franklin organized the first fire department in Dec. 1736, known as "The Bucket Brigade". ————————————— In memory of the members of the . . . — Map (db m114464) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Brooks Model Coal Mine
Brooks mine was never a commercial operation, but large deposits of coal do exist inside. The 150 foot long mine was built as a model in 1902 by Reese Brooks when coal was king in the heating world. It is an example of how Scranton became the . . . — Map (db m112816) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Bullard Company #2
On Mechanic Street, on the left when traveling east.
This oil-burning steam engine was designed to be operated by a single engineer-fireman and was among the smallest standard-gauge locomotives ever built. Locomotive #2 operated up and down the railroad sidings and loading tracks outside the Bullard . . . — Map (db m19907) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Canadian National Railways #47
On Mechanic Street, on the left when traveling east.
In 1914, the Grand Trunk Railway of Canada purchased six 4-6-4T locomotives from the Montreal Locomotive Works, a division of the American Locomotive Company. This Baltic tank locomotive carried coal and water in a coal bin and water tank built into . . . — Map (db m19903) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Capoose
On Providence Road at Diamond Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Providence Road.
On the nearby flat was located an Indian village under the chief, Capoose. It was settled by Munsee following their removal from the upper Delaware valley after 1743. — Map (db m46463) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Casting Iron
Near Cedar Avenue at Mattes Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
The blast furnace was the heart of any iron-making establishment. Lined with heat-resistant brick, known as refractory, the stack was filled from the top with alternating layers of iron ore, anthracite and limestone. As the raw materials worked . . . — Map (db m10574) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Catherine Manley Coffey

Dedicated to Catherine Manley '86 Coffey 1964-2002

"To love another person is to see the face of God." Les Miserables ———————————— Catherine "Cate" Manley . . . — Map (db m128163) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — City of Scranton
Near Cedar Avenue at Mattes Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Scranton grew from a village into a city through the success of the ironworks, coal mines, and railroads. The Scrantons built a company store and hotel to attract potential workers and customers to the city. More businesses followed. The city's . . . — Map (db m10552) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Claremont & Concord Snow Plow #60
Near Mechanic Street, on the right when traveling east.
Coupled in front of the locomotive, this type of wedge-shaped plow simply pushed snow to the side. Because of their reliance on a locomotive's momentum, plows were often operated at high speeds - a practice fraught with danger. Nonetheless, snow . . . — Map (db m19908) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — CNJ #5 Steam Derrick — Idler Gondola #9208
Near Mechanic Street, on the right when traveling east.
This steam-powered wrecking crane was part of a small fleet of cars designed solely to maintain the railway - to remove wrecks and to lay, replace, and resurface the track. The Central Railroad of New Jersey #5 steam derrick was built in 1918 and . . . — Map (db m19840) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — CNJ Railroad — Lackawanna River Heritage Trail
On Broadway Street at 3rd Avenue, on the left when traveling west on Broadway Street.

Roaring Brook, the largest tributary to the Lackawanna River, passes through Nay Aug Park and enters the Lackawanna River near Schmidt Park.

Nay Aug is an Indian word that means Roaring Brook. — Map (db m116737) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — CNJ Railroad — Lackawanna River Heritage Trail
On Broadway Street at 3rd Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Broadway Street.

A neighborhood and a small roundhouse once stood where Schmidt Park is now located, but were not rebuilt after flooding in 1955. — Map (db m116740) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Coal Miners’ and Laborers’ Strike
On Lackawanna Avenue at South Washington Avenue on Lackawanna Avenue.
A riot occurred here on August 1, 1877, in which armed citizens fired upon strikers, killing four. Many were injured, including Scranton’s mayor. As in numerous US cities, this labor unrest was a result of the US depression of 1873 and a nationwide . . . — Map (db m67774) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Colliery Locomotive, 1919

This impressive steam locomotive was used at the Powderly Colliery during the golden era of the anthracite coal industry. Weighing 24 tons, the locomotive was manufactured in 1919 by Vulcan Iron Works in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania for the . . . — Map (db m105650) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Colonel Frank J. Duffy Memorial Park — Dedicated May 30th 1940
On Harrison Avenue north of Moosic Street (Pennsylvania Route 307), on the right when traveling north.

Erected by Rabiega-Gorgol Post No. 3451 Veterans of Foreign Wars and Anthracite Post No. 4 National Association of Regulars Scranton, Penn'a.

as a memorial to those who have entered into a more . . . — Map (db m126375) WM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad Shops
On Cedar Avenue at Mattes Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Cedar Avenue.
In 1907 William Truesdale, president of the DL&W, hired architect Frank J. Niles of New Jersey to replace the original locomotive shops. Niles designed four new structures: A five story pattern shop, a foundry, a blacksmith shop, and a locomotive . . . — Map (db m10593) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — DL&W Coal Hoppers
Near Mechanic Street, on the right when traveling east.
Hopper cars like these carried the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad's heaviest and most profitable freight - anthracite coal. With increases in coal production came the need to increase hauling capacity. In the decades before 1900, the DL&W . . . — Map (db m19910) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — E.J. Lavino & Company #3
Near Mechanic Street, on the right when traveling east.
The American Locomotive Company built this 0-6-0T saddle tank industrial switch locomotive in 1927. E.J. Lavino and Company put the #3 to work at its Sheridan, Pennsylvania, yards. E.J. Lavino and Company operated a ferro-manganese blast furnace in . . . — Map (db m19817) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Education — Lackawanna River Heritage Trail
On Broadway Street at 3rd Avenue, on the left when traveling west on Broadway Street.

Lackawanna College This institution has provided Pennsylvania's students with business, associate, and vocational degrees for more than a century. Today, the college is located at the renovated historic building that was originally . . . — Map (db m116742) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — First Electric Cars
On Adams Avenue at Spruce Street, on the left when traveling north on Adams Avenue.
The first street car system in the U.S. built entirely for operation by electric power was at Scranton. It began operation on Nov. 30, 1886. The initial run was between central Scranton and Green Ridge section. — Map (db m67819) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — First Rite Aid Corporation Drugstore
On Spruce Street at Washington Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Spruce Street.

This plaque commemorates the opening of the first Rite Aid Corporation drugstore on September 12, 1962 in Scranton, Pennsylvania. Alexander Grass, founder of the Company which now has grown to over 1,300 drugstores, is a native of . . . — Map (db m101507) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — General Casimir Pulaski — 1748 • 1779
On Adams Avenue at Linden Street, on the left when traveling north on Adams Avenue.

American Revolutionary war hero, who distinguished himself on General George Washington's staff in the Battle of Brandywine, commissioned Brigadier General. Fought at Germantown and other battles in the winter of 1777-78 for American . . . — Map (db m101500) HM WM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — General Thaddeus Kosciuszko — Born Feb. 4, 1746 • Died Oct. 15, 1817
On Spruce Street at Lee Court, on the right when traveling west on Spruce Street.

American Revolutionary War Hero. Lover of Freedom. Son of Poland. The first foreign officer to come to the aid of the American cause. Recruited by the Continental Congress for his military brilliance and engineering skill to fight for American . . . — Map (db m100698) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — George H. Catlin Memorial House — The Lackawanna Historical Society
On Monroe Avenue north of Ridge Row, on the right when traveling north.

The Lackawanna Historical Society was founded in 1886, eight years after Lackawanna County was incorporated. In early years the organization was known as the Lackawanna Institute of History and Science. Its collections were kept in the . . . — Map (db m99998) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Grand Army of the Republic Memorial
On Linden Street at Penn Avenue, on the left when traveling east on Linden Street.

Dedicated to our comrades who fought, bled, suffered and died on land and sea, on battle fields and in prison pens, for their country's honor.

1861 - 1865

Lieut. Ezra S. Griffin Post 139, Dept. of Penn., G.A.R.

Lieut. Ezra S. . . . — Map (db m116414) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Grand Trunk Western #6039
On Mechanic Street, on the left when traveling east.
In 1925, the Grand Trunk Western Railway purchased five 4-8-2 Mountain locomotives, numbered 6037 through 6041, from the Baldwin Locomotive Works. These coal-burning locomotives had cylinder-shaped Vanderbilt tenders and enclosed all-weather cabs. . . . — Map (db m19900) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Home of Debra Records — Est. 1958
On Linden Street at Penn Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Linden Street.

Irman Music Publishing Co. BMI

50's Record Company Where 50's Music Began Doowopville — Map (db m116402) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Houlihan - McLean Center — Immanuel Baptist Church
On Jefferson Avenue (U.S. 11) at Mulberry Street, on the right when traveling north on Jefferson Avenue.

Through the generous remembrance of a member of the Board of Trustees and the Class of 1973, Gerard P. Joyce, his wife, Linda, and his family, this historic place, formerly the Immanuel Baptist Church, is gratefully dedicated to Professors . . . — Map (db m101600) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Illinois Central #790
On Mechanic Street, on the right when traveling east.
This 2-8-0 Consolidation was built in 1903 by the American Locomotive Company and sold to the Illinois Central Railroad in 1904. For many years, this engine saw hard service on the Illinois Central, hauling freight trains through Tennessee. In . . . — Map (db m19897) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — In Remembrance of the Holocaust — 1933 • 1945 — "Lest We Forget" —
On Jefferson Avenue east of Olive Street, on the left when traveling east.

[Title is text] — Map (db m103081) WM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Inigo Becomes St. Ignatius - 1491-1556 — μετσχvoισχ - metanoia - transformation

Teach me to serve you as you deserve; to give and not count the cost; Lord, teach me to be generous, to fight and not heed the wounds; to toil and not to seek for rest; to labor and not to ask for reward save that of knowing that I . . . — Map (db m128191) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Jacob and the Angel — By Arlene Love

And there was one that wrestled with him until daybreak.... He said, "Let me go, for day is breaking." But Jacob answered, "I will not let you go unless you bless me." He then asked, "What is your name?" "Jacob".... He said, "Your name . . . — Map (db m128193) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Jerry Tomasetti — Father - Friend - Pugulist
On Mulberry Street east of Arthur Avenue, on the left when traveling east.
. . . — Map (db m116772) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — John Mitchell — 1870 - 1919 — Champion of Labor • Defender of Human Rights —
On Adams Avenue north of Spruce Street, on the left when traveling north.

So far as discontent is expressed in constructive movements for human betterment it is healthy and to be encouraged

I wish to see the interests and ideals of Labor and Capital fairly reconciled not by surrender but by mutual . . . — Map (db m101502) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Lackawanna County
On Spruce Street at North Washington Street, on the right when traveling west on Spruce Street.
Formed August 13, 1878 from Luzerne County, it was Pennsylvania's 67th and last county created. The name is an Indian word meaning "stream that forks." Scranton, the county seat, was made a city, 1866. It became the anthracite coal mining capital of . . . — Map (db m31950) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Lackawanna Iron
On Cedar Avenue at Mattes Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Cedar Avenue.
Iron was forged in Slocum Hollow by 1797. Nearby are remains of Lackawanna Iron Co. works begun 1840 by Scranton and associates. Iron rails for the Erie R.R. were made here, 1847. Steel-making begun in 1875. Closed in 1902. — Map (db m10531) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Lackawanna River Watershed History

1700's (Native Americans & Early Settlers) — This area was once home to the Monsey Indians, a branch of the Delaware Indians. After William Penn bought land along the Delaware River from the Delaware Indians, the Monseys relocated . . . — Map (db m135869) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Long Island Railroad #193 Rotary Snow Plow
Near Mechanic Street, on the right when traveling east.
This rotary snow plow (built in 1898) worked the Long Island Railroad for sixty-nine years, until its retirement in 1967. The Long Island #193 was a Canadian-invented plow designed to reduce the cost of snow removal. Much like a modern snowblower, . . . — Map (db m19909) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Making Steel
On Cedar Avenue at Mattes Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Cedar Avenue.
In 1875, the Lackawanna Iron & Coal Company installed Bessemer Converters in order to convert their pig iron into steel. The steel works was located across Cedar Avenue where the General Dynamics plant now stands. The Bessemer process involved . . . — Map (db m10537) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Martyrs' Grove

What does it mean to be a Jesuit today? To commit yourself under the standard of the Cross to the crucial struggle of our time, the struggle for faith and the struggle for justice which that same faith demands. G. C. 32

Juan Ramσs . . . — Map (db m128196) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Masonic Temple and Scottish Rite Cathedral
On Washington Avenue south of Vine Street, on the left when traveling south.

This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m104176) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Medal of Honor — Patrick DeLacy and John C. Delaney
On North Washington Avenue.
Center panel Medal of Honor first issued during the Civil War just over 1500 such medals were issued in that war. Recipients included these two soldiers from Lackawanna County. “That pain may cease, he yields his flesh to pain” . . . — Map (db m89206) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Medal of Honor — Gino J. Merli and Joseph R. Sarnoski
On North Washington Avenue.
Center panel Medal of Honor, the highest decoration for gallantry in action while serving in the United States Armed Forces. This medal was awarded to these two recipients from Lackawanna County for action during World War . . . — Map (db m89207) WM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Mellon Bank Building — Built 1890 • Restored 1979
On Spruce Street at Wyoming Avenue, on the left when traveling west on Spruce Street.

On the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m101508) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Miners and Laborers Memorial
On Providence Road at Diamond Avenue on Providence Road.
This monument is erected to honor the memory of the countless thousands of miners and laborers who toiled in the near-by coal mines of Park Place and Bull's Head. Their courage at work and their devotion to their families have left a proud legacy . . . — Map (db m113214) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Munsee Indian Village
On Providence Road 0.2 miles north of Olive Street.
This stone marks the site of a former Indian village, occupied after 1743 by a band of Munsee, under Chief Capoose. About 150 feet east of this spot stood a famous apple tree, under which the Indians held their councils. This tree was designated as . . . — Map (db m67829) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — New Haven Trap Rock Company #43
Near Mechanic Street, on the right when traveling east.
The Vulcan Iron Works built engine #43, an industrial saddle tank 0-4-0T switcher, in 1919. The engine was purchased by C.W. Blakeslee and Sons out of New Haven, Connecticut, for work at their New Haven Trap Rock Company quarry. At the quarry, . . . — Map (db m19806) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Ninth Ward World War II Honor Roll — Scranton Pa. — 1941 - 1945 —
On Jefferson Avenue at Olive Street, on the right when traveling south on Jefferson Avenue.

Killed in Action

Raymond J. Armbruster • Oliver Brown John Edmund Burns • Edward Collins Manuel O. Golnick • Gilbert W. Harper Leon Kaplan • Henry I. Levy John E. McCormick • Richard Ortlieb Jerome Piven • Thomas F. Rawson . . . — Map (db m105065) WM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Norwood & St. Lawrence #210

American Locomotive Company's Cooke Works built #210 in 1923 for the Norwood & St. Lawrence Railroad. Throughout its active career, #210 pulled mixed trains (freight cars with baggage and passenger cars on the rear) across northern New York . . . — Map (db m105796) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Oil House
Near Mechanic Street, on the left when traveling east.
During the steam era, railroads across the United States constructed oil houses to safely store the flammable oils and greases used in railroad operations and maintenance. The DL&W built this reinforced concrete and steel oil house in 1912 in . . . — Map (db m19780) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Oil House — Steamtown National Historic Site
On Mechanic Street.
To run smoothly, machinery requires lubrication—and the steam locomotive was no exception. Before a locomotive could leave the yard, dozens of its moving parts had to be greased and its oil cups filled to the brim. While the fireman tended the . . . — Map (db m89258) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Oil House Foundation
On Mechanic Street, on the left when traveling east.
The brick border on the plaza area in front of you marks the location of the underground foundation and cellar of an oil house built about 1870. This oil house is the earliest known oil storage and distribution facility at the Delaware, Lackawanna . . . — Map (db m19777) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Pearl Harbor Memorial
On Washington Avenue south of Linden Street, on the left when traveling south.

Honoring those Lackawanna County Citizens who served at Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941, "The Day of Infamy."

Dedicated on the 75th anniversary, Dec. 7, 2016

Joseph Skovira • John Aloysious Alicki Michael Burke • Frank Deluccie . . . — Map (db m100402) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Pennsylvania Boxcars
Near Mechanic Street, on the right when traveling east.
Boxcars were the backbone of the railroads' non-bulk freight business. During a journey, a freight car was often coupled and uncoupled to several different trains. As a result, one company's freight cars might be found on a dozen different lines. . . . — Map (db m19819) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Piazza dell' Arte
On Spruce Street at Adams Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Spruce Street.

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. Pablo Picasso

Lackawanna County recognizes that arts and culture contribute greatly to the vitality of a community. The Piazza dell' Arte proudly salutes the . . . — Map (db m101530) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Pine Brook War Memorial
On Capouse Avenue at Ash Street, on the left when traveling north on Capouse Avenue.

Dedicated to those who served in all wars — Map (db m113435) WM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Rahway Valley #15
On Mechanic Street, on the left when traveling east.
Baldwin Locomotive Works delivered this engine, a 2-8-0 Consolidation-type locomotive, to the Oneida & Western Railroad in 1916. In 1937, after twenty-one years of grueling Tennessee mountain service, the Oneida & Western Railroad sold it to the . . . — Map (db m19902) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Reading #2124
On Mechanic Street, on the left when traveling east.
Originally built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works during the mid 1920s as a 2-8-0, the Reading Company rebuilt #2124 among thirty other engines, as a 4-8-4 Northern in January 1947. Reading Northerns were heavy-duty freight locomotives assigned most . . . — Map (db m19901) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Rev. Jacob M. Koehler — (1860-1932)
On North Washington Avenue 0 miles north of Electric Street, on the right when traveling north.
Founder in 1882 of the institute that became the Scranton State School for the Deaf. An ordained minister who was deaf, he was concerned for this state's uneducated deaf children and was a leading advocate of compulsory education of the deaf. . . . — Map (db m67847) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Rev. William Bishop
On North Main Avenue at Price Street, on the left when traveling north on North Main Avenue.
Baptist clergyman and first ordained minister in Scranton, built a combined log church and house near here in 1795. There he preached and held services. He was born in England, 1749, and died in Scott Township in 1816. — Map (db m46428) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Right Reverend William O'Hara, D.D. — In Memory Of

First Bishop of Scranton. Born in Ireland April 14, 1816. Ordained Priest in Rome Dec. 21, 1842. Consecrated Bishop in Philadelphia July 12, 1868. Died in Scranton, Feb. 3, 1899. His body awaits the Resurrection in the crypt of . . . — Map (db m99112) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Robert Patrick Casey — (1932-2000)
On North Washington Avenue at Woodlawn Street, on the right when traveling south on North Washington Avenue.
Pennsylvania public official and lifelong Scranton resident, Casey served as State Senator, 1962-66; First Vice President of Pa. Constitutional Convention, 1967-68; Auditor General, 1969-77; and Governor, 1987-95. As governor he pioneered the . . . — Map (db m67902) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Rock Loader

This machine was used to load a car with rock from a rock tunnel. A pulley was attached to the freshly blasted rock face and a rope passed from one of the drum hoists on the loader, over the pulley and attached to the back of the . . . — Map (db m139069) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Rolling and Puddling
Near Cedar Avenue at Mattes Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
The Scrantons initially intended to make and market pig iron alone. However, they soon decided to produce a smaller, finished product. In 1844, nail-making machinery was installed and a puddling mill constructed approximately one thousand yards . . . — Map (db m10575) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Scranton
On South Main Avenue at Rundle Avenue, on the right when traveling north on South Main Avenue.
Ebenezer Slocum built his built his first house, and made the first iron here prior to 1800. Its founding, naming, and growth as a city were due to George W. Scranton and associates. Leader in iron and steel for 60 years after its founding, 1840. — Map (db m67717) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Scranton - The Electric City
On Linden Street east of Washington Avenue, on the left when traveling east.

As early as 1910, there was an electric sign atop this building that could be seen after dark from many vantage points throughout the City of Scranton. In early photos it reads "Watch Scranton Grow". Later the message was changed to "Scranton - . . . — Map (db m101477) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Scranton Central High School
On Vine Street west of Adams Avenue, on the right when traveling west.

"This building was the site of Scranton Central High School from 1896 to 1991" — Map (db m104175) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Scranton Iron Furnaces
On Cedar Avenue at Mattes Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Cedar Avenue.
(Left Panel): Scranton was founded as an ironmaking community. In the late 1830's, the natural resources of the Lackawanna Valley attracted William Henry, the Scrantons, the Platts, and their associates. Nearby they found coal, waterpower, . . . — Map (db m10535) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Scranton Iron Furnaces Historic Site — Lackawanna River Heritage Trail
On Broadway Street at 3rd Avenue, on the left when traveling west on Broadway Street.

Four anthracite-fueled blast furnaces from the 1850s still stand, reminders of iron and steel production in the valley.

The historic Scranton Iron Furnaces in the south end of the city represent the early iron industry in the . . . — Map (db m116741) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Scranton Preparatory School — 50th Jubilee
On Wyoming Avenue south of Mulberry Street, on the right when traveling south.

The Scranton Preparatory School, founded in 1944 by the Society of Jesus two years after the Jesuits assumed control of the University of Scranton, operated for its first seventeen years in a building on the south-west corner of Wyoming Avenue . . . — Map (db m136638) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Scranton Preparatory School Seal
On Wyoming Avenue at Ash Street, on the right when traveling north on Wyoming Avenue.

This stone rendition of the seal of Scranton Preparatory School was positioned above the main entrance of the original school building at Wyoming Avenue and Mulberry Street.

When Prep moved to its present location in 1963, this seal was . . . — Map (db m105793) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Scranton's History Mule

1830 - 1860 - Dunmore & Waverly, 2 stops along eastern route of Underground Railroad

1886 - First commercially successful, continuously running electric trolley system in U.S. was Scranton Suburban Railway

1890 - [S]cranton . . . — Map (db m139066) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Scranton's Iron Furnace
On Cedar Avenue at Mattes Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Cedar Avenue.
Beginnings In August of 1840 William Henry, Seldon and George Scranton, and Stanford Grant noted abundant outcroppings of coal and iron ore while prospecting in the Nay Aug Ravine. The wealth of raw material prompted them to purchase 503 acres . . . — Map (db m10603) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Settlement
Near Cedar Avenue at Mattes Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
In the 1830's, the Lackawanna Valley was largely wilderness. Here at Slocum Hollow there were five dwellings, a saw and grist mill, a school, a cooper's shop, and a hotel. To house the ironworkers and their families, the Lackawanna Iron and Coal . . . — Map (db m10551) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — St. Thomas College "Old Main" Cornerstone

The original cornerstone laid by Bishop William G. O'Hara in 1888 marking the foundation of St. Thomas College which became the University of Scranton in 1938 ——————————— . . . — Map (db m128156) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Steamtown — National Historic Site
On Mechanic Street.
Working on the railroad was rarely romantic or glamorous. Mostly it was hard work—grimy, noisy, greasy, and occasionally dangerous. Today, mechanics still labor to repair and maintain steam locomotives and rolling stock at this site, with . . . — Map (db m89256) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Steamtown National Historic Site
Near Lacawanna Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
(1) Locomotive Erecting Shop (1909) - where heavy maintenance was done on locomotives. More than 70 locomotives were built here. The facility included a foundry, blacksmith shop, machine shop, and a laboratory. (2) Office and Storage Building . . . — Map (db m19905) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Supplying the Blast
Near Cedar Avenue at Mattes Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
By 1850, the application of steam power to the manufacture of goods was well established. Not only did the steam engine produce sufficient amounts of relatively stable power, but it freed industry from location along waterways. Two double connected . . . — Map (db m10571) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Tank Car
Near Mechanic Street, on the left when traveling east.
More than a century ago, railroads developed special cars to carry liquids - usually crude oil and petroleum products - without separate containers or packaging. Since many liquids required special linings, most tank cars were owned by individual . . . — Map (db m19778) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Terence V. Powderly
On North Main Avenue just south of Schlager Street, on the right when traveling north.
Noted labor leader. Born Jan 22, 1849, in Carbondale. Grand Master Workman of the Knights of Labor, 1879-93. Scranton’s Mayor, 1878-84. Later Federal immigration official. Died in 1924. His home was near here. — Map (db m46429) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — The “Pioneer”
Near Nay Aug Road 0.1 miles east of Arthur Street.
This gravity railroad car, used on the Pennsylvania Coal Company Railroad, was presented by the company to the City of Scranton, Sept. 3, 1909. The car was used on the line from Hawley to Pittston from 1850 to 1884. — Map (db m32166) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — The Battleship Maine Memorial
On Mulberry Street east of Arthur Avenue, on the left when traveling east.

This ten inch shell and bronze port cover recovered from the wreck of The Battleship Maine after having been submerged fourteen years in the waters of Havana harbor are here mounted as a memorial to the brave officers . . . — Map (db m116763) HM WM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — The Bivouac of the Dead

The muffled drum's sad roll has beat the soldier's last tattoo; No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few. On fame's eternal camping-ground their silent tents are spread, and glory guards with solemn round, the . . . — Map (db m99113) WM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — The Blast Furnaces
On Cedar Avenue at Mattes Avenue, on the right when traveling north on Cedar Avenue.
These four stone stacks, built between 1841 and 1854, are the remnants of the Lackawanna Iron and Coal Company blast furnaces. The area in front was the casting floor. The molten iron was run into sand channels formed in the floor which served as . . . — Map (db m10592) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — The Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad Company
On Jefferson Avenue at Spruce Street (U.S. 11), on the right when traveling south on Jefferson Avenue.
1851 - 1951 Commemorating the 100th Anniversary of The Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad Company Here in Scranton, Pennsylvania was conceived and brought to successful completion the first segment of what is now the Delaware, Lackawanna, . . . — Map (db m10606) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — The Electric City — Lackawanna River Heritage Trail
On Olive Street 0.1 miles east of Providence Road, on the right when traveling east.

From Scranton's earliest days, people were drawn to the valley's waters and the riches of the landscape.

First, a gristmill on Roaring Brook in the late 1700s and later iron ore fueled the city's settlement. When the Scranton . . . — Map (db m133095) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — The Everhart Museum
On Mulberry Street east of Arthur Avenue, on the left when traveling east.

Founded in 1908, The Everhart Museum of Natural History, Science and Art was erected to house the collections of Dr. Isaiah Fawkes Everhart, an amateur ornithologist, skilled taxidermist and avid naturalist who assembled one of the finest . . . — Map (db m116744) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — The Freedom Tree
On Mulberry Street east of Arthur Avenue, on the left when traveling east.

With the vision of universal freedom for all mankind this tree is dedicated to Capt. Wesley Ratzel and all Prisoners of War and Missing in Action 1973 — Map (db m116770) WM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — The Harrison Avenue Bridge
On Harrison Avenue north of Moosic Street (Pennsylvania Route 307), on the right when traveling north.

Designed by prominent engineer A. Burton Cohen, the Harrison Avenue Bridge was constructed between July 1921 and September 1922 by the Anthracite Bridge Company of Scranton. Residents from South and East Scranton overcame economic and . . . — Map (db m126361) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — The Honorable George W. Bush

The Forty-Third President of the United States, Visited the University of Scranton on 16 January 2003 to greet the people of Northeastern Pennsylvania and to address the nation. — Map (db m128164) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — The Lackawanna Valley
Near Cedar Avenue at Mattes Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
The Lackawanna Valley seemed to have all the advantages for an ironworks - raw materials, waterpower, and topography. "This is a marvelous place. Only two years ago it was a wilderness... But the eye of speculation and improvement was on it, and a . . . — Map (db m10550) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — The Loading and Supply Dock

Supplies for the mine are stored at the loading dock and brought into the mine when needed in empty coal cars.

1. A thrower for switching the tracks, and spare track 2. Compressed air hoses 3. Chain for a Coal Conveyer or Miner's Jalopy . . . — Map (db m105664) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — The Tripp House
On North Main Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
Isaac Tripp, Scranton’s first settler, built a house here in 1771. His son, Isaac II, began the present building – the oldest in Lackawanna County – about 1778. Both men represented this region in Connecticut’s Assembly. Isaac III . . . — Map (db m46462) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Turntable
Near Mechanic Street, on the right when traveling east.
The hub of the roadhouse complex was the turntable. From here, tracks radiated like spokes into each roundhouse stall. Engines returning to the roundhouse for maintenance rolled through a narrow two-track passage onto the turntable. An operator . . . — Map (db m19781) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Union Pacific #4012
On Mechanic Street, on the left when traveling east.
Locomotive #4012 is a 4-8-8-4 Big Boy. The Big Boys were the longest and among the largest and most powerful steam locomotives in the world. Even with their great size, the Big Boys were capable of reaching speeds in excess of eighty miles per . . . — Map (db m19898) HM
Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Veterans Memorial

Dedicated to all veterans who served their country — Map (db m99114) WM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Veterans Memorial — God and Country
On Railroad Avenue at Emmett Street, on the right when traveling north on Railroad Avenue.

In honor and memory of those who served so gallantly

[Dedicated] May 30, 1977 — Map (db m138201) WM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Vietnam Veterans Memorial

Dedicated to all Vietnam Veterans who fought and died during an unpopular war, God will be with them always because they came, they fought, they died, but they did not run. — Map (db m116766) WM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — Vietnam War Memorial
On Washington Avenue south of Linden Street, on the left when traveling south.

In memory of all Lackawanna County military personnel who made the supreme sacrifice while serving in the Vietnam War.

Gerard Coyle • Frederick Krupa Thomas Francis Heffernan • Thomas William Malloy Theodore Mostowski • Anthony . . . — Map (db m100409) WM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — William McKinley
On Washington Avenue south of Linden Street, on the right when traveling south.

Twice President of the United States of America 1897-1901 Born Jan·29·1843-Died Sept·14·1901 ——————— Erected by the McKinley Memorial Association of Lackawanna County . . . — Map (db m125617) HM

Pennsylvania (Lackawanna County), Scranton — William W. Scranton — (1917 - 2013)
On Monroe Avenue north of Ridge Row, on the right when traveling north.

Governor of Pennsylvania (1963-67). His term emphasized industrial revitalization, highway construction, welfare and educational reforms, and natural resource conservation. A Scranton native, he was a WWII pilot, UN ambassador, US Congressman, . . . — Map (db m99994) HM


115 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement