Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Woodbridge, Virginia Historical Markers

 
“Leesylvania” Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, September 24, 2006
“Leesylvania” Marker
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — “Leesylvania”
This historically important property was part of a land grant dating back to 1658 and was the site of “Leesylvania,” the home of Henry Lee II (1729–1789). The Neabsco Iron Foundry, which was located nearby, furnished “pig . . . — Map (db m773) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — “Let There Be Lights”
This Monument is a testimony to the vision of PWSI President Ed Foster-Simeon’s “Let There Be Lights” campaign. On July 26, 2001, PWSI solidified Ed’s vision by dedicating these lights, bringing PWSI out of the darkness and into the . . . — Map (db m2496) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — “Pleasureland of the East”
In the late 1950s a large scale gambling resort was planned for Freestone Point. The original scheme boasted a luxury hotel, a golf course and country club, marinas, white sand beaches, swimming pools, tennis, and amusement park and more. Much of . . . — Map (db m98122) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — 9/11 Liberty Memorial
This memorial is dedicated to the greater Prince William area residents and all those who died as a result of the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001. The shape of the reflecting pool and plaza recall the 184 lives lost at the . . . — Map (db m3221) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Annoying the EnemyStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
(Panel 1) After occupying Alexandria for five days, the British withdrew down the Potomac River in early September 1814. To “annoy or destroy” the British ships, Americans established two gun batteries on opposite shores, about . . . — Map (db m98103) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Bacon Race ChurchConfederate Occupation
Confederate Col. Wade Hampton’s South Carolina Legion appropriated Bacon Race Church as a field hospital in mid-August 1861 and named the site “Camp Griffin” for Hampton’s subordinate, Lt. Col. James B. Griffin. The unit broke camp on . . . — Map (db m16050) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Bacon Race Church and Cemetery
The first of three churches, variously known as Occoquan Meeting House, Bacon Race Church, and Oak Grove Church, was built on this site c. 1774. Led by Elder David Thomas, it was Prince William County’s first Baptist Church. These churches were Old . . . — Map (db m3249) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Bel Air Plantation
This land was part of a 2960-acre tract granted to Henry Walker in 1677 which he called “Walker Town.” Major Charles Ewell (c. 1713–1747) acquired 800 acres in 1739 and built “Bel Air” in 1740. The house is believed to . . . — Map (db m2798) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Belmont Bay ~ End of the Water
Occoquan Creek flows in front of you. Occoquan is an American Indian word meaning at the end of the water. The Dogue Indians may have named this creek. They lived in the area for centuries before European exploration and were part of the . . . — Map (db m5928) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Cabin Branch Pyrite Mine
Located in Prince William Forest Park, the Pyrite Mine trail leads you to a peaceful, open expanse above the banks of the Quantico Creek. From 1889 to 1920 the area was busy with the sights, sounds and smells of mining. The Cabin Branch Pyrite Mine . . . — Map (db m5331) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Confederate Winter CampsFighting Boredom and Disease
After the Confederate victory at Ball’s Bluff in October 1861, the Union and Confederate armies settled into winter camps between Washington and Richmond. Confederate forces withdrew from Fairfax County to Prince William County and defended a line . . . — Map (db m16053) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — 4 — Early Land Patents
In 1653, Thomas Burbage obtained 3,000 acres between the Occoquan and Neabsco Creek. Burbage’s Neck later passed to Martin Scarlet (d.1695), pioneer settler and sometime Burgess. George Mason II gained 534 acres of Occoquan River frontage including . . . — Map (db m2336) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — 7 — Events Along Neabsco Creek
Nearby are the sites of a fort ordered built in 1679, and of the oldest tomb found in the county, that of Rose Peters—1690. Iron mining was begun here as early as 1784. Remains of a colonial furnace, foundry, and mill have been discovered. . . . — Map (db m771) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Z-144 — Fairfax County / Prince William County
Fairfax County Area 417 Square Miles Formed in 1742 from Prince William and Loudoun, and named for Lord Fairfax, proprietor of the Northern Neck. Mount Vernon, George Washington’s home, is in this county. Prince William County . . . — Map (db m2335) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Freedom High School Sundial Memorial
In memory of the citizens of Prince William County and other Americans who lost their lives on September 11, 2001 — Map (db m4888) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Freedom Park
Dedicated July 4, 1991 To those from our community that have defended our Country's freedom with honor and distinction — Map (db m3220) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Glascock Cemetery (Oak Hill)
Here are interred members of the Glascock family of “Oak Hill.” Burr Glascock (1812–1896) brought his family here from Fauquier County in 1851. In 1870, he became the first County Supervisor from Occoquan District. His son William . . . — Map (db m779) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Howison Homestead
Howison Homestead Stephen Howison I 1736 – 1815 Stephen Howison III 1776 – 1862 “The Graves of the dead who rest from their labors.” Donated by the Howison Family 1991             The Home of my . . . — Map (db m2478) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Howison Homestead
Stephen Howison (1736–1815) whose family was from Cramond, Scotland, and Mary Brooke (1739–1808) whose family was from England, were married in 1757. They came to Prince William County from Maryland between 1763 and 1769 and homesteaded . . . — Map (db m108676) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Iron Pulley Wheel
This artifact was found buried here. It likely served to help pull boats and or nets from the river as part of the fishing activity that occurred here for over 100 years. — Map (db m98123) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Lee’s Woods Historic TrailLeesylvania State Park
Trail Details Leesylvania State Park lies on a small peninsula on the Potomac, rich with American history. This moderate hike loops through fascinating historical ground, including the Fairfax and Lee family homesteads. The easy-to-follow . . . — Map (db m98124) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Leesylvania
Located along the Potomac River between Nebasco and Powells creeks and extending inland to include lands west of U.S. Route 1, this vast tract was patented in 1658 by Gervais Dodson. Henry Lee II (1729-1787) inherited the acreage upon his father’s . . . — Map (db m75919) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — JQ-1 — Leesylvania State Park
This 508-acre park was donated to the Commonwealth in 1978 by Daniel K. Ludwig and was opened on June 17, 1989. The park, whose name means “Lee’s Woods,” is the ancestral home of the famous Lee family of Virginia. The land, which was . . . — Map (db m2155) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — 32 — Military Operations
Preparatory to the Battle of Yorktown (c. 1781) General Washington ordered a troop road cut through this area to move American and French forces via the ford on the Occoquan River at Wolf Run Shoals. The road was again used during the Civil War for . . . — Map (db m3264) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Mill Wheel
This mill wheel was donated by Jesse Baldwin and Lewis Wilkins to Leesylvania State Park. It was originally found in Neabsco Creek west of the Interstate 95 bridge. It most likely came from the Taylor Family Foundry and Mill operations (1730-1830) . . . — Map (db m98126) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — 21 — Minnieville
Nearby is Bel Air Plantation (c. 1740), burial site of Parson Mason Locke Weems, first biographer of George Washington. French and American troops moved through this community on their way to Yorktown in 1781. Northern dairymen developed large farms . . . — Map (db m774) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — E-58 — Neabsco Iron Works
Situated along the nearby Neabsco Creek, the Neabsco Iron Works began operation by 1737. Directed by John Tayloe of Richmond County and succeeding family members, the ironworks evolved into a multifaceted antebellum industrial plantation, which . . . — Map (db m2154) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — New School Baptist Church
On this site slaves gathered between 1861-1865. They built a brush arbor church, worshipped God and became a faithful congregation. On December 5, 1881, Rev. John L. Bell and four other church leaders purchased one acre of this land for eleven . . . — Map (db m5637) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Oak Grove - Bacon Race Church
This was the first Baptist Church established in Prince William County, circa 1774. It was led by Elder David Thomas. This was the first of three churches at this site. The last church built in, 1836, stood until it collapsed on Christmas Eve, . . . — Map (db m3245) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — E-59 — Occoquan
Captain John Smith explored this region in 1608. The town of Occoquan began with the opening of a tobacco warehouse on the shore of the Occoquan River in 1734. Occoquan grew as the focus of the commercial and manufacturing activities of John . . . — Map (db m2337) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — 25 — Old Bethel High School
On this site once stood the first high school in eastern Prince William County. The original two-story wood frame building was built in 1914. Lightning struck and destroyed the school on June 12, 1927. It was rebuilt as a two-room brick elementary . . . — Map (db m777) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — 24 — Old Telegraph Road
Just to the east is the original route of an ancient trail used to lay the first telegraph wire from Washington to New Orleans in 1847. During the Civil War it became a strategic military objective. It was first used by Confederate forces supporting . . . — Map (db m2242) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Pollution Solution
These two bioretention cells, completed by volunteers in June 2005, are designed to filter run-off from the parking lot, thereby decreasing the pollution entering the Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay. The drawing below shows how a bioretention cell . . . — Map (db m98104)
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — 6 — Potomac Path
To the east is the only preserved segment of the Potomac Path, the earliest north-south route in northern Virginia. Following an ancient Indian trail, the road, later known as the King's Highway, assumed great importance for overland travel between . . . — Map (db m2164) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Revolutionary Soldiers Spence and William Grayson
Upper left marker: Revolutionary Soldier Spence Grayson 1734-1798 Upper right marker: Revolutionary Soldier William Grayson 1736-1790 — Map (db m86952) WM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Rippon Lodge ~ Latrobe's View
Benjamin Latrobe Benjamin Henry Latrobe (1764-1820) moved to Virginia from England in 1796. He is best known for his work on the United States Capitol. In 1803, President Thomas Jefferson summoned him to Washington to complete the building, . . . — Map (db m5644) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Rippon Lodge ~ Neabsco Creek
Latrobe’s Visit Architect Benjamin Henry Latrobe (1764 – 1820) was Thomas Blackburn’s friend. Latrobe visited Rippon Lodge in July, 1796. He described his stay in his journals and drew the property. On July 11, Latrobe stood on . . . — Map (db m5642) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Roll of Honor
WORLD WAR I Hugh Corum • William Nickens • Harry Hatcher • Omer Smith • Champ L. Jones • Maurice Beavers • Eugene Ross • G. O. Lynch • John C. Blight • John Berry • Floyd Whetzel • William Saffer • Perry Herring • McKinley Dodd • Fewell Athey . . . — Map (db m3234) WM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Russell House and Store
This 19th century two-story flagstone-covered Russell House represents a type of local architecture predominant in rural northern Virginia from the mid-19th century to the 1960s. The house, its barn, granary and other outbuildings made up one of the . . . — Map (db m776) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Seasonal Encampments
Seasonal Encampments for river fishing were set up at this place the Native Americans called Yosocomico, meaning “within the enclosure”. These temporary villages were situated on the shoreline at good fishing spots that the Indians . . . — Map (db m98101) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Selecman’s (Snyder’s) Ford
Near here on the Occoquan River was Selecman’s Ford, a rocky, narrow river crossing used by both sides during the Civil War. The 17th Pennsylvania Cavalry with 100 men of the 6th Pennsylvania Cavalry crossed this ford on December 19, 1862 to defend . . . — Map (db m37956) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Spence and William Grayson
. . . — Map (db m86969) WM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Swimming in BountyCaptain John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail
(panel 1) Swimming in Bounty When John Smith and his crew reached the Potomac River in July 1608, they were amazed by the abundance of fish, having seen “neither better fish, more plenty, nor more variety” anywhere. . . . — Map (db m98121) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — 28 — The Chinn Family
Near this site lived six generations of the Chinn family, one of Prince William County’s early African-American families. The family traces its heritage to Nancy, a slave born in 1794 on the William Roe farm in Fauquier County. William Roe’s nephew, . . . — Map (db m860) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — The First Courthouse of Prince William County
One hundred and fifty yards east of this spot stood the first courthouse of Prince William County organized in 1731. This monument erected by the Bicentennial Committee of Prince William County, September 25, 1931, was presented to the people of the . . . — Map (db m2339) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — The Freestone Fisheries
The Freestone Fisheries played an important role in Leesylvania’s past. Their successful operation, given the plentiful numbers of fish in the Potomac, provided a significant income to the successive proprietors of the Leesylvania estate. The Lee . . . — Map (db m14167) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — The King's Highway ~ Preserving History
A Road to Rippon Lodge Rippon Lodge Historic Site on Blackburn road has a long association with The King’s Highway. A segment of the road cut directly through the property when the Blackburn family lived there during the 18th century. The . . . — Map (db m5975) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — The King's Highway ~ The Potomac Path
The King’s Highway was the first north-south route through Virginia. The road began in Boston and ended in Williamsburg. It may have followed one or more trails that American Indians used before European colonization. The route was first . . . — Map (db m5959) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — The Nation's RiverBelmont Bay
The Potomac River, often referred to as the "Nation's River", has been significant in the Country's history. Colonists traveled on the river and shipped tobacco, timber and grains from its ports. The Potomac River is still a vital resource. . . . — Map (db m116774) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — The Old Potomac Path
The Old Potomac Path Originally an Indian Trail and traversed by early settlers, it later became the first coach and post road between Northern and Southern Colonies, and was called The King’s Highway General Washington often stopped . . . — Map (db m2491) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — War in the ChesapeakeStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812
(Panel 1) During the War of 1812 the young United States was embroiled in conflict with Great Britain. From 1812 to 1815 Americans fought to protect their rights and economic independence. They faced superior enemy forces on the . . . — Map (db m81266) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — Washington ~ Rochambeau Wagon Route
In September 1781, General George Washington directed the repair and clearing of roads leading to and from Wolf Run Shoals, the main ford of the Occoquan River, located seven miles upstream from the main ferry at Colchester. Prince William and . . . — Map (db m40209) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — 29 — Washington’s First Journey to the Frontier
On March 11, 1748, George Washington and George William Fairfax crossed the Occoquan above the falls near here – Washington to enter the service of Lord Fairfax, and Lord Fairfax to meet his constituents in Frederick County. They traveled by . . . — Map (db m2331) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — 5 — William Grayson’s Grave
William Grayson, lawyer, member of the Continental Congress, Constitutional Convention and U.S. Senate, is buried nearby on property formerly part of “Belle Air,” the family plantation. In 1774, Grayson organized Prince William County’s . . . — Map (db m770) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Woodbridge — World Trade Center Monument
On September 11, 2001 terrorists attacked our nation by crashing planes into the Pentagon, a field in Pennsylvania, and the World Trade Center. These four pieces of steel came from the remains of the World Trade Center and are arranged to represent . . . — Map (db m108675) HM WM

55 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement