Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Dutchess County New York Historical Markers

292 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 92
 
Amenia Marker image, Touch for more information
By Steve Stoessel, August 17, 2019
Amenia Marker
New York (Dutchess County), Amenia — Amenia
Named from the Latin "amoena," "pleasant to the eye," by Dr. Thomas Young, early settler, who also named Vermont — Map (db m138008) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Amenia — Amenia Veterans Memorial
To the men and women of the Town of Amenia who from the Revolution to the World War served in the armed forces of their country in the time of need, the People of Amenia have erected this memorial and dedicated this park as a . . . — Map (db m144423) WM
New York (Dutchess County), Amenia — Dutchess County
Dutchess County Ceated in 1683 and named for the Dutchess of York. The “t” in original name is still used — Map (db m144290) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Amenia — Troutbeck
Troutbeck Former home of Myron B. Benton, poet-naturalist, friend of John Burroughs, Emerson and Thoreau — Map (db m144291) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Annandale-on-Hudson — Former New York State Champion Tree
. . . — Map (db m35495) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Beacon — Beacon War Memorial
Beacon War Memorial This Monument is Dedicated to Those Heroes Whose Names Shall Forever Hold a Place of Honor. It is Through Their Courage and Sacrifice That We Remain Free. ★   ★   ★   ★ W.W. I Bump, John J. · . . . — Map (db m144308) WM
New York (Dutchess County), Beacon — Bicentennial Washington
In Honor Of The Bicentennial of the Death of George Washington Who Visited the Nearby Madam Brett Homestead During The American Revolution Erected 1999 By Members and Friends of Melzingah Chapter, NSDAR [ rear plaque ] . . . — Map (db m52600) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Beacon — Burial Site
Burial site of William Few, Jr. 1748 – 1828 Signer of U.S. Constitution for the State of Georgia – 1787 Reinterred in Augusta, Georgia – October 1973 — Map (db m44515) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Beacon — Carmen Ramputi Marine Corps League
Carmen Ramputi Det 861 Marine Corps League — Map (db m144310) WM
New York (Dutchess County), Beacon — City of Beacon
Incorporated May 15, 1913 consolidation of Matteawan and Fishkill Landing Villages. — Map (db m44508) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Beacon — City of Beacon Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the men of Beacon who gave their lives in war that generations yet unborn might walk in the ways of peace and understanding with the peoples of all nations Erected by Beacon Post 203 May 30, 1947 God and Country City of . . . — Map (db m144309) WM
New York (Dutchess County), Beacon — Emergency Responders Clock
City of Beacon Emergency Responders This clock is dedicated to the City of Beacon to recognize and honor the men and women of Beacon’s fire, police, and EMS personnel – past, present and future It is further dedicated in recognition of . . . — Map (db m144535) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Beacon — Fishkill Landing
One of the oldest landings along Hudson River. During Rev. supplies for troops in Newburg & N.J. from New England brought across River. — Map (db m44507) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Beacon — Home of Madam Catharyna Brett
1709 The Home of Madam Catharyna Brett Born in the City of New York,1687 - died in this house, 1764 Wife of Roger Brett and daughter of Francis Rombout co-patentee with Gulian Verplanck of Rombout Precinct, comprising 85,000 acres of land . . . — Map (db m144531) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Beacon — Howland Center
Howland Center Has Been Placed On The National Register Of Historic Places By The United States Department Of The Interior 1872 — Map (db m52599) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Beacon — J. Robert Cramer

In memory of Firefighter J. Robert Cramer An active member of Lewis Tompkins Co. and the City of Beacon Fire Department who lost his life in the line of duty at the 144-146 Main Street Fire on January 29, 1955

A . . . — Map (db m124849) HM

New York (Dutchess County), Beacon — Lewis Tompkins Hose Company

Originally constructed for the

Lewis Tompkins Hose Company 1890

The restoration of this firehouse is dedicated to the officers and members, past and present, who have selflessly volunteered their time and energy . . . — Map (db m124889) HM

New York (Dutchess County), Beacon — 268 — Margaret Fuller

First woman reporter for New York Tribune wrote "Woman in the Ninteenth Century" at Van Vliet House Fishkill Landing, Fall 1844 — Map (db m124895) HM

New York (Dutchess County), Beacon — Matteawan Train Station — City of Beacon Greenway Trail —
Matteawan Train Station Built in 1869 by the Dutchess and Columbia R.R. Co. running from Dutchess Jct. to Hopewell Jct., Millbrook, etc… — Map (db m144533) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Beacon — Roll of Honor
Roll of Honor Dedicated to the Members of Willard H. Mase Hook and Ladder Company Who served in the Armed Forces of our country during World War II Alyea, William · Bopp, Harold · Bopp, Henry · Burch, Arthur · D’Aprile, Cornelius · . . . — Map (db m144446) WM
New York (Dutchess County), Beacon — Ron & Ronnie Sauers Bridge
Whereas, when Ron and Ronnie Sauers arrived in Beacon in the mid-1980's, Main Street buildings were boarded up with plywood and covered in graffiti, but Ron and Ronnie saw an opportunity to revitalize Beacon; and Whereas, Ron and Ronnie Sauers . . . — Map (db m144536) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Beacon — Spanish Pentecostal Church / Rothery File Factory — City of Beacon Greenway Trail —
Spanish Pentecostal Church Built in 1869 as 1st Methodist church on the former site of St. Anna’s Episcopal Church. Rothery File Factory Built in 1835, the company made the first wood files in America starting in 1828 at a . . . — Map (db m144534) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Beacon — Welcome to Beacon

Named for the signal fires lit by Washington's troops atop our mountain during the American Revolution, Beacon is a city with a rich history dating back 400 years to when Henry Hudson's Half Moon anchored here in this beautiful bay. . . . — Map (db m124897) HM

New York (Dutchess County), Beacon — Welcome to Beacon
Named for the signal fires lit by Washington's troops atop our mountain during the American Revolution, Beacon is a city with a rich history dating back 400 years to when Henry Hudson's Half Moon anchored here in this beautiful bay. Beacon has . . . — Map (db m144529) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Beacon — Welcome to Beacon
Named for the signal fires lit by Washington's troops atop our mountain during the American Revolution, Beacon is a city with a rich history dating back 400 years to when Henry Hudson's Half Moon anchored here in this beautiful bay. Beacon has . . . — Map (db m144532) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Beacon — William Few
In this tomb rests the remains of William Few Born June 18, 1748 – Died July 16, 1828 Lieut. Colonel, Georgia Militia during the American Revolution, 1776-1779. Member, Continental Congress, 1780-1788 Signed Federal Constitution, 1787 . . . — Map (db m44562) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Beekman — 1754 Homesite
1754 Homesite Of Col. James Vanderburgh 5 th Regiment D. C. Militia Friend and Host of Gen. George Washington, Visitor Here During the Revolution — Map (db m24881) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Beekman — Burying Ground
Burying Ground Vanderburgh Family Col. James Vanderburgh 5th Regiment D. C. Militia In Revolutionary War Born 1729. Died 1794. — Map (db m24879) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Beekman — The Mill House
Along the Old Upper Road The Mill House The Mill House built in 1749 by Robert Livingston, leased to Bartholomew Noxon in 1753 to Isaac Dennis in 1781, later owned by FDR Jr. — Map (db m24883) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Beekman — The Old Upper Road
Along the Old Upper Road The Old Upper Road In Washington’s diary it is documented the number of times he traveled this route & his visits to Col. Vanderburgh’s home on the Upper Road , which also served as a munitions depot. . . . — Map (db m24882) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Clinton Corners — Bloom’s Mill
Bloom's Mill (c. 1750) Revolutionary soldiers camped here in 1777 before the Battle of Washington Hollow — Map (db m140619) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Clinton Corners — Bloomvale
On the National Register of Historic Places Bloomvale Early Industrial Center, Named for Isaac Bloom (1748-1803), Judge, Miller, Patriot, Politician — Map (db m140618) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Dover Plains — Dover Stone Church
A cavern, with a waterfall refuge of Sassacus, Pequot chief, fleeing from rout of his tribe at New Loudon, Conn. afterward killed by Mohawks. — Map (db m137968) HM
New York (Dutchess County), East Fishkill — First Settler
Aaron Van Vlack. First settler of Gayhead. Built stone house here c. 1741. His son Tunis built dam and grist mill here in 1768. — Map (db m89071) HM
New York (Dutchess County), East Fishkill — Home of Capt. George Brinckerhoff
Home of Capt. George Brinckerhoff. — • — On march to Connecticut in 1776 General Washington spent the night here. — • — The Indian grindstone was found on this farm. Erected by Melzingah Chapter, D.A.R. and the State of New . . . — Map (db m89079) HM
New York (Dutchess County), East Fishkill — Storm – Adriance - Brinckerhoff
House built 1759 Home of Thomas Storm Speaker of NY Assembly Captain George Brinckerhoff Site of Washington’s address — Map (db m89076) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Fishkill — American Revolution Bicentennial MemorialFishkill Encampment
[ American Revolution Bicentennial Memorial Marker : ] 1776 ★   ★ 1976 To all the brave souls who passed through, served, and died here at the site of the Northern Department Supply Depot, Fishkill, New York. 1776 – 1783 . . . — Map (db m44534) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Fishkill — Battery
On this hill, during the American Revolution, was a battery for the defense of “The Gorge of the Mountains”, Fishkill Clove. — Map (db m44453) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Fishkill — Continental Army CrossroadsWashington-Rochambeau Revolutionary Route National Historic Trail
During the Revolutionary War, the Van Wyck Homestead served as headquarters for the Fishkill Supply Depot, a supply center for Washington’s Continental Army. At this bustling “city” of industry, hammers clanged, and smoke rose from many . . . — Map (db m88752) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Fishkill — Daniel Nimham
Chief Sachem of the Wappinger Indians Born in Dutchess County was killed in engagement at Cortland’s Ridge N.Y. August 31, 1778 defending the American Cause. — Map (db m46212) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Fishkill — Dutch Church
Reformed Church of Fishkill, Organized 1716, built 1725 Occupied 1776 by New York Provincial Congress, also prison during Revolution. — Map (db m44486) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Fishkill — Enoch Crosby
American spy, taken with recruits for British Army, confined here after mock trial by Committee of Safety was allowed to escape. — Map (db m44488) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Fishkill — First Academy
in county 1765 – 1790. Located on this hill. Conducted by Rev. Isaac Rysdyck. Used for military hospital in 1777. — Map (db m44496) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Fishkill — Fishkill Tea Party
Site of Fishkill Tea Party Aug. 26, 1776, 100 women forced Abram Brinckeroff storekeeper, to sell them tea at lawful price of six shillings per pound. — Map (db m44490) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Fishkill — Great Indian Warrior Trading Path
The most heavily traveled road in Colonial America passed through here, linking areas from the Great Lakes to Augusta, Ga. Laid on ancient animal and Native American Trading/Warrior Paths. Indian treaties among the Governors of NY, PA, & VA and the . . . — Map (db m44473) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Fishkill — Hendrick Kip
Home of Hendrick Kip Built 1753. Fishkill headquarters of Baron von Steuben about 1777. Gen. Washington and Count Pulaski visited here. State Education Department   1935Map (db m88760) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Fishkill — Maj. Genl. Marquis de Lafayette
In honor of Maj. Gen’l. the Marquis de Lafayette who was ill many weeks in the Brinckerhoff House adjoining during the American Revolution --------------- This stone given by Lafayette Post No 140 Dept of N.Y. G.A.R. to Melzingah Chapter D.A.R. May . . . — Map (db m44519) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Fishkill — Mount Gulian
Verplanck House, ca. 1740, burned 1931. Revolutionary War headquarters of General Von Steuben, 1783. Birthplace of Society of the Cincinnati 1783. — Map (db m37628) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Fishkill — Mount Gulian
Built about 1730 by Gulian Ver Planck, whose ancestors and Francis Rombout purchased the adjacent land from the Wappinger Indians in 1685. Headquarters of Baron Von Steuben. The society of the Cincinnati was instituted here May 1783. — Map (db m119583) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Fishkill — Revolutionary War Dead1776 - 1783
. . . — Map (db m44516) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Fishkill — 263 — Site of Zion Pilgrim M.E. Church
Served Baxtertown community 1848-1930s. Evidence suggests station on Underground Railroad — Map (db m133069) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Fishkill — Star Mills
Built by Abram Brinckerhoff. Burned 1777. Rebuilt by order of Gen. Washington while his soldiers encamped at Fishkill. Later demolished. — Map (db m44493) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Fishkill — The Path to VictoryWashington-Rochambeau Revolutionary Route National Historic Trail
In 1781, the American and French allies combined their armies at a pivotal turning point in the Revolutionary War. Under the command of General George Washington and French General Jean-Baptiste Donatien de Vimeur, comte de Rochambeau, the armies . . . — Map (db m88758) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Fishkill — Three Batteries
On the hills back of this stone stood three batteries guarding this pass 1776 – 1783 --------------- Melzingah Chapter Daughters American Revolution 1902 — Map (db m44450) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Fishkill — Trinity Church
Organized by Rev. Samuel Seabury 1756, built 1760. Provincial Congress met here Sept. 1776. Used as hospital during Revolution. — Map (db m44504) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Fishkill — Van Wyck Homestead1732
Supply depot for Continental Army in Rev. War. Used as officers Headquarters 1776 - 1783 — Map (db m44469) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Fishkill — Van Wyck Homestead Museum
From 1776-1783, this house was the center of the Fishkill Supply Depot, which also included barracks for 2,000 men. General Israel Putnam occasionally headquartered here. Revolutionary War Heritage Trail — Map (db m44476) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Fishkill — Veterans of the Fishkill Supply Depot
In memory of those who served in the Continental Army, while at the Fishkill Supply Depot. Near here lie buried Revolutionary War heroes, patriots who were among the first to fight for our freedom. On behalf of these valiant soldiers, we dedicate . . . — Map (db m88762) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Fishkill — Washington’s Sword
Now in Smithsonian Institution Washington, D.C. was made near here by John Baily, a Cutler from New York and Fishkill. — Map (db m44483) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Gallatin — Gallatin-Milan Town Line
Dividing Gallatin, Columbia County, Organized 1803, From Milan, Dutchess County, Organized 1818 — Map (db m149148) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Gallatin — Livingston Manor — Historic New York —
Historic New York Livingston Manor In 1686 Governor Dongari confirmed the grant of a manor OK 160,000 acres of land along the Hudson River to Robert Livingston (1654-1728). Livingston as lord of the manor exercised extensive powers over land . . . — Map (db m144665) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Gallatin — Mannessah Home
Site of Mannessah Home Prince Quack Mannessah of the Mohican Shacomeco clan was the last known Indian resident of Gallatin — Map (db m144641) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Gallatin — Town and County Line
Town and County Line Gallatin, Columbia County. Pine Plains, Dutchess County. Galatin organized 1803. Pine Plains organized 1823. — Map (db m144651) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Germantown — Clermont
Built 1730, on Livingston Manor. Home of Chancellor Livingston, one of the five drafters of the Declaration of Independence. — Map (db m149637) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Holmes — Holmes Methodist Church
Founded 1766 Holmes Methodist Church Originally, Reynoldsville Methodist Church Dedicated September 15, 1853 — Map (db m15826) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hopewell Junction — 1820 Schoolhouse
1820 Schoolhouse Eight grades were taught in this one room school ca. 1820 until 1956. It was moved here from Upper Hopewell in 2003 East Fishkill Historical Society — Map (db m126737) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hopewell Junction — 1845 Carriage Barn
1845 Carriage Barn Donated and moved here in 1985 by IBM East Fishkill. Originally from the Theodorus Van Wyck Farm where John Jay Stayed during the Revolution. East Fishkill Historical Society — Map (db m126735) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hopewell Junction — Brinckerhoff – Van Voorhees House
Brinckerhoff – Van Voorhees House built 1738 General Washington was a frequent guest during the War for Independence — Map (db m89068) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hopewell Junction — Gen. Swartwout Home
Former home of Brig. Gen. Jacobus Swartwout Revolutionary soldier and patriot who died here Feb. 16, 1827 — Map (db m89069) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hopewell Junction — Griffin’s Tavern
This house owned by Col. Jacob Griffin during the Revolution was known as “Griffin’s Tavern” or “The Rendez-vous” The Committee of Observation for Rombout Precinct held famous meeting here Aug. 15, 1775 Frequented by . . . — Map (db m89084) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hopewell Junction — Hopewell Hamlet
Formerly Adriance Post Office. Isaac Adriance a settler about 1740, after whom post office was originally named. — Map (db m89086) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hopewell Junction — Reformed Church
Church Society of Hopewell organized by 19 members in 1757. The original church built 1764. Present structure started 1833. 225th Anniversary, 1982Map (db m89088) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hopewell Junction — Schoolhouse Bell Tower
Schoolhouse Bell Tower Great thanks and appreciation to the Sons and Daughters of Italy, Joe DiMaggio Lodge #2248 for their donation of the Fishkill Plains Union Church bell cast in Troy, New York, 1881, that now hangs in our schoolhouse bell . . . — Map (db m126736) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hopewell Junction — Van Wyck Family
came to Dutchess County from Long Island in 1733. Buried their dead in this vault during 19th century, monuments bear 36 names. — Map (db m89074) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hyde Park — Firefighter Paul TegtmeierEngine Company 4 — September 11, 2001 —
Firefighter Paul Tegtmeier Engine Company 4 September 11, 2001 Box 8087 2 WTC On the morning of September 11, Firefighter Tegtmeier was detailed to Engine 26 for the day tour. He arrived at their quarters just as they were being dispatched to 2 . . . — Map (db m146991) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hyde Park — Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library
The building in front of you is the nation’s first presidential library. FDR was deeply involved in every facet of the library’s development. He envisioned the library as a place where the public could examine the evidence of his Presidency and . . . — Map (db m83109) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hyde Park — Home by the Hudson
All that is within me cries to go back to my home by the Hudson River. - Franklin D. Roosevelt, 1944 It was only when passing through the gates at the end of this road that FDR felt truly at home. Roosevelt loved Springwood’s forests and . . . — Map (db m83113) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hyde Park — Hyde Park RR Station
Hyde Park RR Station Has Been Placed On The National Register Of Historic Places By The United States Department of the Interior Built 1914 — Map (db m83177) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hyde Park — Hyde Park Train Station
Welcome to the Hyde Park Train Station. For more than a century, passenger trains traveling on the New York Central Railroad's New York City to Albany line stopped at this station. The first station on this site was completed in 1851. President . . . — Map (db m146968) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hyde Park — Hyde Park Vietnam War Monument
Honor Roll Of Those Who Served In The Viet Nam War From Town of Hyde Park ------------------------------------ Those Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice Cardinal, David C. • Koob, John P. • Minnard, Earl • Trani, Frederick E. Jr. . . . — Map (db m83299) WM
New York (Dutchess County), Hyde Park — Hyde Park World War I Monument
Honor Roll The Following Men From The Township of Hyde Park Have Answered the Call of Their Country Serving in the Military Or Naval Forces in the War Declared by Congress on April 6, 1917 Harry E. Asher • Allen W. Barner • William A. . . . — Map (db m83297) WM
New York (Dutchess County), Hyde Park — Hyde Park World War II Korean War Monument
Honor Roll Of Those Who Served In World War II and Korean Conflict From Town of Hyde Park ----------------------------------- Those Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice Brannon, Edward • Bircher, Thomas • Chase, Russell S. • Collins, Raymond • . . . — Map (db m83631) WM
New York (Dutchess County), Hyde Park — 148 — New Guinea Community Site
New Guinea Community Site has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2018 by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m146986) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hyde Park — Preserving a President’s ViewHome of Franklin D. Roosevelt Nat’l Hist Pk
James Roosevelt purchased a house on 110 acres alongside the Hudson River in 1867. Both he and his son, FDR, cherished the vista from the south lawn, which provided the backdrop for many family, community, and political events. Eventually, this . . . — Map (db m93637) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hyde Park — Reformed DutchChurch of Hyde Park
Reformed Dutch Church of Hyde Park Established 1789 as the Stoutenburgh Religious Society. Oldest continuous Congregation in Hyde Park. William C. Pomeroy Foundation 2015 — Map (db m83232) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hyde Park — Reformed Dutch Church Hyde Park
Reformed Dutch Church Hyde Park, New York Has Been Placed On The National Register Of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Organized 1789   Built 1824 — Map (db m83234) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hyde Park — Site of James K. Paulding House
Site of James K. Paulding House, 1841 – 1860 Paulding was a distinguished author, collaborated with Washington Irving, was Sec’y of Navy under Van Buren — Map (db m83236) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hyde Park — Springwood
The house before you today is dramatically different from the farmhouse FDR’s father purchased in 1867. Over the years, the home reflected the changing circumstances in FDR’s life. In good times, he expanded the house to meet the needs of his . . . — Map (db m83110) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hyde Park — St. James Church
St. James Church Erected 1844. Attended By Franklin D. Roosevelt, 32nd President of the United States, and his Family. State Education Department 1935 — Map (db m83235) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hyde Park — Stoutenburgh House
Built 1745-65 by William Stoutenburgh, son of Jacobus Stoutenburgh, first colonial settler of Hyde Park — Map (db m132619) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hyde Park — The heart of Franklin Roosevelt
Franklin Delano Roosevelt (FDR) centered his life on Springwood, the family estate. Whether starting married life with his new bride Eleanor, launching his political career, or recovering from the effects of polio, he always returned here. . . . — Map (db m83111) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hyde Park — The World Mourns
I felt like the moon, the stars, and all the planets had fallen on me. - President Harry S. Truman, Roosevelt’s successor. I’m walking south on Michigan Boulevard and I can’t stop crying. Everybody’s crying. - Studs Terkel, writer. . . . — Map (db m83112) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Hyde Park — Those Who Served
Those Who Served Korea Ralph Herrmann, Jr. • Neal W. Horton • Ernest W. Frank, Jr. • Robert D. Holtzman • Clarence B. Devens, Sr. • Ronald L. O’Rourke • Donald E. Veith, Sr. • George W. Berryann • James B. Cruger • Gerard F. Kilmer • Lawrence D. . . . — Map (db m83632) WM
New York (Dutchess County), Hyde Park — World War II
East Park Observation Post. Aircraft warning service. Civilian airplane spotters on 24 hour watch 1942-1943. Site was on east side of Violet Ave. — Map (db m132623) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Lagrangeville — Historic Freedom Plains Church
. . . — Map (db m37639) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Milan — Colonial Inn
Colonial Inn Built about 1773 Stage Inn, Doctor's Office, Hotel, Store, Post Office of Jackson Corners — Map (db m144659) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Milan — Lafayette House
Lafayette House Named in 1824 Famous relay station between the east and the Hudson. Overnight stop for post riders before the railroad era. — Map (db m144667) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Milan — Nobletown Road
Nobletown Road Running from Post Road In Livingston, through Gallatin, Ancram, State Line, Nobletown, to Barrington, N.H. In use before 1798 — Map (db m144658) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Milbrook — Community Band Shell
In Grateful Acknowledgement For the Community Effort Put Forth by The Millbrook Lions In the Construction of the Community Band Shell Dedicated June 14, 1987 Village of Millbrook Board of Trustees — Map (db m140180) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — 7 — “Aren’t We Dressed Up Fine?”
“Aren’t We Dressed Up Fine?” The Dutchess and Columbia Railroad Company built this corner building as its head- quarters in 1870. Later, its offices were moved to Dutchess Junction, near Beacon. From 1889 - 1891 the building was . . . — Map (db m140040) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — 15 — “Downstreet”The Museum in the Streets
“Downstreet” The intersection at this stoplight has been an important crossroads for generations, known colloquially to villagers as "downstreet." J.B. McQuaig, an Irish immigrant, ran the general store pictured here for much of the . . . — Map (db m140119) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — 25 — “Gandy Dancers”The Museum in the Streets
“Gandy Dancers” Railroad maintenance was a constant necessity. Skilled workers and day laborers were hired to grade the land, build trestles, lay and realign the tracks, and keep things in good repair. Nicknamed "gandy dancers," . . . — Map (db m140230) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — 9 — “Perfect Service and Perfect Food”The Museum in the Streets
“Perfect Service and Perfect Food” There have been three prefabricated diners at this location since Charlie Simonson brought the first one to Millbrook from Westchester County in 1929. Acquired in 1931 by Carmine Nardone, it was . . . — Map (db m140043) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — 10 — “Rough Stonework a Specialty”The Museum in the Streets
“Rough Stonework a Specialty” Rocks abound throughout the region in fields, streams, and forest glens. They were incorporated into structures and stone walls that line roadways and delineate old pastureland. In the hands of skilled . . . — Map (db m140114) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — 4 — “Up to Date in Every Respect”The Museum in the Streets
“Up to Date in Every Respect” That was the boast of Sheldon's Pharmacy, across from the railroad station. It had a popular soda fountain, carried souvenirs, published and sold local postcard views like this one, and attracted . . . — Map (db m140037) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — 2 — A Tribute and a GiftThe Museum in the Streets
A Tribute and a Gift The Descendants of Isaac and Hannah Thorn(e) have been part of this community since the 1740s, when much of the area was settled by the Society of Friends (Quakers). Isaac's great grandson, Jonathan Thorne (1801-84), was a . . . — Map (db m139984) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — 18 — A Wing and a PrayerThe Museum in the Streets
A Wing and a Prayer Grace Episcopal Church (1901) anchors the upper end of Millbrook's Franklin Avenue. Stucco, stone, turrets, and towers combine in homage to the English Arts and Crafts movement. The interior, though somewhat altered, still . . . — Map (db m140175) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — 17 — A World of InformationThe Museum in the Streets
A World of Information On November 11, 1901, thirteen prominent citizens discussed the need for a local library. Two weeks later, a constitution was adopted, charter members and a board of trustees were elected, and the Millbrook Free Library . . . — Map (db m140174) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — 5 — All Aboard!
All Aboard! Rail service had been debated for years before George Hunter Brown and his partners finally succeeded in bringing it to the area in 1869, after the Civil War. The new station and village evolving around it were named after Brown's . . . — Map (db m140038) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — 22 — Athletics and CommunityThe Museum in the Streets
Athletics and Community Built in 1914 as the local YMCA, the building in front of you was dedicated 6 "the physical and moral improvement of the youth of Millbrook." Designed by the noted New York City architect James Ware, the structure housed . . . — Map (db m140184) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — 21 — Blown AwayThe Museum in the Streets
Blown Away The Millbrook Gas and Electric Company (1894-1920), founded by Charles Dieterich, pioneered the use of acetylene in America and provided street lights at 300 village locations. Unfortunately, the gas proved to be highly volatile, and . . . — Map (db m140182) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — 26 — Founding FamiliesThe Museum in the Streets
Founding Families Considered the oldest residence In the village, this house (1750) was known for generations as the Haight family homestead. Owned by Philip Hart, an early entrepreneur, it was purchased in 1795 by Ebenezer Mott, then sold to . . . — Map (db m140231) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — 13 — From Primary School to Town HallThe Museum in the Streets
From Primary School to Town Hall Built as a primary school in 1913, this red-brick building housed kindergarten and grades 1-3 in four rooms for more than 50 years. Generations of children learned their ABCs here and fondly recall their . . . — Map (db m140117) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — 8 — In Stock and For SaleThe Museum in the Streets
In Stock and For Sale Hardware and farm equipment have been sold here since the 1870s. Plows, spring wagons, buggies, garden barrows, and tools are all listed in James Reardon's 1895 newspaper ad. Practical plumbing, steam and hot-water . . . — Map (db m140041) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — 12 — Irish and Italian ImmigrantsThe Museum in the Streets
Irish and Italian Immigrants Alden Place used to be called "Hogan's Alley" after a news- paper comic strip, begun in 1895, about immigrant children using odd slang. The Irish were the first to settle on Alden Place, having moved to Millbrook to . . . — Map (db m140116) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — Jacob Willetts   Deborah Willetts
Jacob Willetts Deborah Willetts Widely Known Educators Lived here in early 19th Century State Education Department 1935 — Map (db m139342) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — 24 — Life’s Little PleasuresThe Museum in the Streets
Life’s Little Pleasures Nuncia Galuppo Petrone's specialty shop carried a wide assortment of Italian groceries she offered both imported foods and homemade dolci (sweets). Olive oil was featured both for table and medicinal use. The circa 1905 . . . — Map (db m140229) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — Meeting House
Meeting House Built in 1780 by the Nine Partners Meeting of the Society of Friends State Education Department 1955 — Map (db m139341) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — Millbrook Bicentennial
1776   1976 Town of Washington Village of Millbrook Celebrate the Bicentennial 200 Years of Freedom Erected by the Bicentennial Commission Ernest A. Ciferri, Chairman William L. Still, Co-Chairman Robert J. Rogers, Co-Chairman . . . — Map (db m139867) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — Millbrook Veterans Memorial
In Memoriam All Men and Women of The Millbrook Area Who have Paid the Supreme Sacrifice In All Past Wars . . . Particular Remembrance Korea 1950 – 1953 Charles Johnson   Richard Strothers John Wing Died in Service – . . . — Map (db m139865) WM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — Millbrook Veterans Monument
1941   1945 Dedicated to the Veterans of the Town of Washington Who Served in Our Country’s Defense and to the Imperishable Memory of Those Who Died Adams, Stirling S. · Alexander, John M. · Alexander, William F. · Anderson, Alexander L. · . . . — Map (db m139542) WM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — Millbrook, New YorkThe Museum in the Streets
Welcome to Millbrook in 1697, when this area was thickly forested and unexplored, nine men formed a partnership and were granted a royal charter to a huge tract of land that stretched from the Hudson River to what would become the Connecticut . . . — Map (db m139866) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — Nine Partners School
Nine Partners School On this site, 1796-1863, Influential in Education Famous for its teachers And pupils State Education Department 1935 — Map (db m139340) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — 11 — Old FirehouseThe Museum in the Streets
Old Firehouse A series of fires prompted 30 men to form the Millbrook Fire Company No. 1 in 1908 to protect local property and lives. In 1909, they purchased this corner lot from Oakleigh Thorne and constructed the building a year later for . . . — Map (db m140115) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — 1 — St. Joseph’s ChurchThe Museum in the Streets
St. Joseph's Church Before St. Joseph's Church was completed in 1872, local Catholics had been served by priests who rode out either from Poughkeepsie or Amenia to conduct Mass in an inter-denominational hall. St. Joseph's became an . . . — Map (db m139983) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — 16 — Strike Up the Band!The Museum in the Streets
Strike Up the Band! Millbrook has always loved a parade, whether to celebrate a victory or holiday. Shown here in the large photo is the Armistice parade of 1918, marking the end of the "War to End All Wars." Red Cross workers marched down . . . — Map (db m140173) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — 20 — Tents and TogasThe Museum in the Streets
Tents and Togas Latin used to be an integral part of the high-school curriculum so much so that in 1920-21, three of the eleven faculty members taught the language. Summer school (shown here) was voluntary, not remedial, and popular classes in . . . — Map (db m140178) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — 14 — The Great Fire of 1916The Museum in the Streets
The Great Fire of 1916 In December 1916, the headline in the local newspaper ran “$100,000 Fire Sweeps Business Section of Village.” An entire block had been destroyed. Despite a well-organized bucket brigade, the fire department, . . . — Map (db m140118) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — 19 — The School That Launched a VillageThe Museum in the Streets
The School That Launched a Village Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Thorne Memorial Building (also known as Millbrook Memorial School) was built in 1894 by the four surviving children of Jonathan and Lydia Thorne to honor . . . — Map (db m140177) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — To Honor All Those Who Served
To Honor All Those Who Served — Map (db m141505) WM
New York (Dutchess County), Millbrook — Tribute Garden
This Garden was created by The Millbrook Garden Club and planted with Trees, Shrubs and Flowers native to Our Country. It is Dedicated as a Tribute and Memorial to the Soldiers and Sailors who went from the Township of . . . — Map (db m139541) WM
New York (Dutchess County), Millerton — Iron Mine PondTaconic State Park
People have mined iron in the Taconic region since the late 1700s. The first iron furnace with a steam-powered bellows was built on this site in 1847. Caleb Maltby purchased the mine in 1861 and the Maltby Iron Company produced a high grade of iron . . . — Map (db m138098) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millerton — Irondale Cemetery
Irondale, Millerton, Town of North East. Old Stone 1818. — Map (db m135709) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millerton — 428 — Irondale School
One room schoolhouse ca. 1850-1930. Stood here until 2013 when moved to Village of Millerton for Visitors' Center. — Map (db m132682) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millerton — 428 — Irondale School
One room schoolhouse ca. 1850-1930. Stood here until 2013 when moved to Village of Millerton for visitors' center. — Map (db m135711) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millerton — Rudd Pond
Major Bezaleel Rudd, 1751-1846, cleared land and erected home on this site. Served in the Revolution. — Map (db m138071) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millerton — Spencer's CornersNorth East Post Office
May 1, 1773, first Baptist covenant meeting in North East held at home of Rev. Simon Dakin, near here. — Map (db m138074) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millerton — Town of North East War Memorial
Dedicated in honor and in memory of the valiant men and women of the Town of North East who served in our nation's conflicts. — Map (db m135829) WM
New York (Dutchess County), North East — North East Center Burying Ground
Early stone marked 1801 — Map (db m137993) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pawling — Akin Hall
Built and dedicated in 1881 by A. J. Akin. Used by Christ Church since 1895. Moved to former site of Mizzentop Hotel by Lowell Thomas 1936. — Map (db m25020) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pawling — Applachian Trail
The Applachian Trail a footpath from Georgia to Maine, since 1922 Maintained by volunteers, crosses Rt.22 near here. — Map (db m144323) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pawling — Cole’s Mill
Founded 1842 by Emery Cole Ruins 870 ft. west Produced flour, feed & grain Wagonmaking shop added run by son, Albert S. Cole — Map (db m24976) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pawling — Dutchess County
Created in 1683 and named for the Dutchess of York. The “T” in original name is still used. — Map (db m88575) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pawling — Fredericksburg 1778
From September 20 to November 28, 1778 George Washington, his generals and army of 13,000 were located in or around Fredericksburg, with the John Kane house serving as headquarters. From here emanated George Washington’s strategy of . . . — Map (db m24555) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pawling — Grange Hall
Pawling Grange founded 1897. Hall built by Grange members in 1946 as meeting place and community center. Sold to Town of Pawling in 1962. — Map (db m24658) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pawling — In memory of General George Washington
In memory of General George Washington Commander in Chief of Continental Army Fredericksburg Sept. 19 – Nov. 27, 1778 Made possible through the efforts of Senator Vincent L. Leibell The Historical Society of . . . — Map (db m24556) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pawling — John Kane House
General Washington’s hdqtrs at Fredericksburg (Pawling) Sept. – Nov. 1778 – Kane was a prosperous landowner, early supervisor and a Tory. — Map (db m24522) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pawling — John L. Worden
Commander of the Monitor, against the Confederate Ram, Merrimac. Hampton Roads, Mar. 9, 1862; Rear Admiral, U.S.N. is buried here. — Map (db m63935) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pawling — Lakeside Park
Dutcher House Recreation Area. Included 1/2m trotting track. Home of Harlem Valley Agricultural Fair 1887-91 WWII USAAF Center — Map (db m52012) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pawling — Living Memorial
These trees were planted as a Living Memorial to Thomas E. Dewey Governor of the State of New York 1943 – 1955 and his wife Frances Hutt Dewey Faithful member of the congregation of Christ Church on Quaker Hill . . . — Map (db m25018) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pawling — Memorial Trees
Dedicated May 4, 1945 to honor Town of Pawling men who gave their lives in the service of their country during World War II. Marker donated Am. Legion Aux. — Map (db m24653) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pawling — Methodist Church
First church built in 1809 South Road; second church in 1854 on Main Street. This church erected in 1864. Additions in 1928 and 1960. — Map (db m24888) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pawling — Mizzen Top Hotel
Was located on this site from 1880 – 1933. The building was three stories high, faced the west with two hundred feet frontage. It was opened during the summer seasons and accommodated 250 guests. Porches bordered three sides. The spacious . . . — Map (db m25016) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pawling — Murrow Park
Originally the Burr Farm, Murrow Park was purchased by the Pawling Lions Club from Mr. & Mrs. Howard Burr and Miss Altana Burr. The Lions Club purchased the property for recreation and enjoyment by the residents of Pawling in 1965. — Map (db m24977) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pawling — Oblong Meeting House
Oblong Meeting House Of the Society of Friends Erected in 1742 south of this road Present building erected in 1764 First effective action against slavery taken here in 1767 Occupied as hospital January 1779 By Revolutionary . . . — Map (db m25026) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pawling — Pawling School 1907
Dr. Frederick L. Gamage founded the school to prepare boys for college The name was changed to Trinity – Pawling in 1947 — Map (db m24656) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pawling — Pawling Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to The Memory of Those Who Paid for Our Freedom With Their Lives World War II 1941 – 1945 Ira Baker • George N. Burr • John Stark Colman • Harold Davis • Walter C. Fischer • John Holladay • Leon O’Dell • Edward J. . . . — Map (db m24654) WM
New York (Dutchess County), Pawling — Pawling World War I and Civil War Memorial
[ West Side ] Roll of Honor To Honor the Pawling Men Who Served in the World War This Tablet is Erected By The Inhabitants of the Town 1917 – 1919 Akin, Albert John • Alfredson, David • Anderson, Edward . . . — Map (db m24655) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pawling — Purgatory Hill
Purgatory Hill Named by the Continental Army encamped here fall of 1778. Site of great barbecue celebrating anniversary of Burgoyne’s defeat – Saratoga — Map (db m24979) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pawling — The Eastern BorderHistoric New York
Mahican and Wappinger Indians once inhabited the area between the Taconic Mountains and the Hudson Valley. Dutch settlers first occupied the river front, so that later comers settled in these highlands. Palatine Germans came from the ill-fated tar . . . — Map (db m144321) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pawling — The First Oblong Friends Meeting House
The First Oblong Friends Meeting House was erected on this site in 1742. It was used as a place of worship until 1764. West of the site was the Friends burial ground. During the fall and winter of 1778 the present meeting house was a hospital . . . — Map (db m25028) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pawling — The Great Barbecue
A section of the Continental Army of the Revolutionary War was stationed on the western slopes of Quaker Hill from September 16, to November 28, 1778. The Great Barbecue Occurred on the hillside across this road. October 17, 1778 It . . . — Map (db m24521) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pawling — The Great Barbecue
A section of the Continental Army of the Revolutionary War was stationed on the western slopes of Quaker Hill from September 16, to November 28, 1778. The Great Barbecue Barbecue Occurred on the hillside across this road. October 17, . . . — Map (db m24551) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pawling — The Oblong
This marker denotes the western boundary of Connecticut under an agreement reached in 1683 between Governor Thomas Dongan of New York and Governor Robert Treat of Connecticut. Later the Treaty of Dover signed on May 14, 1731 moved the western . . . — Map (db m24980) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — 353 — Attlebury School
Attlebury School District #12 Built ca. 1911 After Original Building Destroyed by Fire in 1909. Closed 1945. Acquired by Stanford Hist. Soc. 2014. — Map (db m140611) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Attlebury School House
Attlebury School House has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2016 by the United States Department of the Interior William G. Pomeroy Foundation 2016 Attlebury School The one room schoolhouse on this . . . — Map (db m140614) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Brush House
Made from oak logs hewn square, 1773 or 4; a log blockhouse. Siding put on over original house in 1881. — Map (db m135708) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Carman Mill
Carman Mill A mill stood here as early as 1784. Processing timber, wool, apples and grain with water power. Struck by lightning & burned in 1936. — Map (db m144591) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Dr. H.C. Wilber
Erected to the memory of Dr. H.C. Wilber who practiced medicine in Pine Pains from 1807 to 1818 ( left plaque ) Erected to honor Dr. Walter W. Wicks who practiced medicine in Pine Pains from 1928 - 1983 ( right . . . — Map (db m144632) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Dutchess-Columbia County Line
Dutchess-Columbia County Line Dutchess County oganized 1803 Columbia County oganized 1823 — Map (db m144647) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Grinding Works
Site of Grinding Works Founded by Col. Silas Harris about 1832. — Map (db m144588) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Harris Scythe Works
Site of Harris Scythe Works. Founded by John Harris about 1765. operations ceased 1864. — Map (db m135792) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Hubbell Spring
Hubbell Spring Named for Mr Hubbell who built cabin nearby about 1760. Watering trough here since that date. — Map (db m144644) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — In Memory
In Memory Of James E. Clifford And In Honor Of Those Who Served In The Armed Forces Of The United States — Map (db m145536) WM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Isaac Huntting Homestead
Isaac Huntting Homestead Built 1774. In Huntting Family about 1904. — Map (db m144587) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Mount Ross
Mount Ross Named for Captain Thomas Ross, who was called "Baron Ross" Died August, 1762 — Map (db m144653) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Old Moravian Church
Site of Old Moravian Church Built in 1743 of bark. Mentioned in 1840 at dedication of Union Bethel Church — Map (db m144586) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Old Pine Trees
Site of Old Pine Trees under pine trees chiefs of a Mohican Indian tribe were buried. Pine Plains named for these trees on plains. — Map (db m144628) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Old Tavern
Site of Old Tavern Log House Tavern in 1798, Dr. Asahel Haskins, Prop. Hotel Built 1804 by F. & E. Dibblee. G. Ketterer Owner Enlarged Hotel 1872 & 1882. — Map (db m140608) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Old Turnpike
Old Turnpike Rhinebeck – Salisbury Turnpike. Legislative act passed April 2, 1802. — Map (db m144629) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Pine Plains
Organized 1823. Named to commemorate pine trees that grew on the plains. Part of Northeast 1788. Part of Little Nine Partners 1706. — Map (db m135793) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Pine Plains Northeast Line
Pine Plains organized 1823. Northeast formed 1788 and included Milan and Pine Plains. Milan taken off in 1818 — Map (db m137996) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Pine Plains Northeast Line
Pine Plains Northeast Line Pine Plains organized 1823. Northeast Formed 1788 and included Milan and Pine Plains. Milan taken off in 1818. — Map (db m144589) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Pine Plains-Stanford Line
Pine Plains-Stanford Line Pine Plains organized 1823. Part of Northeast 1788 and Little Nine Partners 1706. Stanford organized 1793. Part of Washington 1788 and Great Nine Partners 1697 — Map (db m144592) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Red Church
Site of Red Church. Built by German Reformers 1772 on Pulver farm, torn down 1826, known as the Old Red Church. — Map (db m135706) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Roll of Honor
Roll of Honor Pine Plains, New York Spanish American War Fred Bostwick · Fred Knickerbocker World War I Henry Dathrick · Webster Bathrick · Smith Bielby · Clyde S. Bouton · Russ R. Bouton · Frank Brandt · George H. Cahill · . . . — Map (db m144594) WM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Roll of Honor
Roll of Honor Pine Plains, New York Korean Conflict Elinor Adams · Francis Baldwin · Joseph Bartolomeo · Richard Bartolomeo · Frank Bossolini · John N. Boyles · Faye Brusie · Robert Cahill · William Cahill · Walter Clinch · Robert Couse, Sr. · . . . — Map (db m144595) WM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Seymour Smith Academy
Site of Seymour Smith Academy Opened 1879: leased 1896, as Union Free School. Rev. A. Mattice, A.M. only principal. 1002 graduates. — Map (db m144631) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Town and County Line
Town and County Line Gallatin, Columbia County. Pine Plains, Dutchess County. Galatin organized 1803. Pine Plains organized 1823. — Map (db m144635) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Town and County Line
Town and County Line Gallatin, Columbia County. Pine Plains, Dutchess County. Galatin organized 1803. Pine Plains organized 1823. — Map (db m144655) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Union Library
Union Library of Pine Plains Organized 1798. Ebenezer Baldwin first librarian. First public library in Town of North East — Map (db m144593) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pleasant Valley — Pleasant Valley Veterans War Memorial
Pleasant Valley Veterans War Memorial “All Gave Some Some Gave All” In Honor and Tribute to the Brave Men and Women of Our Town Who Proudly and Honorably Served to Preserve Freedom and Democracy April 6, 1917 . . . — Map (db m144427) WM
New York (Dutchess County), Poughkeepsie — 5th Ward Honor Roll
To Honor Those Men And Women Of The Fifth Ward Who So Valiantly Served Their Country In World War II Dedicated Sept. 3, 1946 Adams, W. • Adriance, H. F. • Ahrens, H. S. • Aide, H. • Allen, C. • Allers, E. J. • Allers, J. F. • Allers, R. . . . — Map (db m37736) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Poughkeepsie — Back on Track
In 1992, Walkway Over the Hudson was established to preserve the Poughkeepsie-Highland Railroad Bridge, transform it into a linear park and trailway and provide long-term stewardship. With public and private support, the bridge-to-park . . . — Map (db m142779) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Poughkeepsie — Bennett Gate
Bennett Gate In memory of Sidonie Bennett, a Holocaust survivor and Hungarian immigrant whose dream of a Vassar education for her daughter was realized here. Given, with gratitude, by Dr. Georgette Bennett '67 and her family . . . — Map (db m37641) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Poughkeepsie — Built to Last
Conceived in the 1860s, the Poughkeepsie-Highland Railroad Bridge created the only Hudson River crossing between New York City and Albany. Political and financial difficulties prevented the project from getting underway for several years. In 1886, . . . — Map (db m142777) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Poughkeepsie — Catskill Mountains400 Years of History
Formed over 300 million years ago, the Catskill Mountains have more than 35 peaks over 3,500 feet, cover 6,000+ square miles, and provide 90% of New York City's water supply. The Catskills have been a tourist destination and a haven for artists for . . . — Map (db m145008) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Poughkeepsie — City DowntownA Notable Industrial and Civic Center — Greater Walkway Experience —
As "Queen City of the Hudson River Valley," Poughkeepsie has been a beehive of activity since settlers first established riverfront industries here in the early 1700s. Geography helped fuel the transformation from town to city. The Fall Kill Creek . . . — Map (db m141937) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Poughkeepsie — Constitution Ratification Site
The People of the State of New York By Their Convention Assembled in a Former Court House Which Stood On This Ground Ratified The Constitution of the United States of America July 26, A.D. 1788 Erected in 1904 By the . . . — Map (db m37734) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Poughkeepsie — Cristoforo ColomboDiscoverer of America — 1492 —

Dedicated by the members of the Casa Italiana, to this great Italian Navigator, on the 500th Anniversary of his discovery of America

October 12, 1992

[Roll of Donors] — Map (db m130566) HM


292 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 92
Paid Advertisement
May. 27, 2020