Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Wharton County Texas Historical Markers

 
Ansgar Evangelical Lutheran Church and Cemetery Marker image, Touch for more information
By Brian Anderson, July 21, 2018
Ansgar Evangelical Lutheran Church and Cemetery Marker
Texas (Wharton County), Danevang — 172 — Ansgar Evangelical Lutheran Church and Cemetery
The Danish Folk Society obtained a land option from the Texas Land and Cattle Company and helped 93 Danish families from the midwest establish the Danevang Cooperative Settlement here in the early 1890s. The settlers, strong adherents of the . . . — Map (db m120615) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Danevang — 1163 — Danevang — ("Danish Meadow")
The first successful Danish community in Texas. Established in 1894 on a portion of 25,000 acres secured through option by Danish Folk Society from Texas Land and Cattle Company. Most immigrants came first to the northern United States, where . . . — Map (db m120613) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Danevang — 12805 — Danevang Community Hall — (Danevang Forsamlingshus)
The Danish community of Danevang (Danish Field) was founded in 1894, at the height of Danish emigration to the United States. The Dansk Folkesamfund (Danish Folk Society), organized in the Midwest in 1887 to preserve Danish culture, language . . . — Map (db m120614) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Danevang — Danevang Lutheran Church — "A Community Church for Those Near and Far."
The church building before you was erected at Camp Hulen at Palacios, Texas at the beginning of the nineteen-forties when the nation was preparing for war. As part of a huge construction effort, which transformed a tent camp into an anti-aircraft . . . — Map (db m120611) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Danevang — Danevang Pioneer Monument
Front: Danevang 1894 - 1976 This monument was erected in honor of all the pioneers who settled Danevang. They met adversity and hardship with Christian fellowship, cooperation and hard work. They achieved their goal of a Danish community . . . — Map (db m122158) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Eagle Lake — 18196 — Frazarville
Near this site once stood the community of Frazarville, founded in 1857 by Dr. Isaac James Frazar and his father, Col. James Watson Frazar. A locust infestation and Comanche raids forced them to move from Cibolo Creek in Bexar County to this site, . . . — Map (db m96298) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Eagle Lake — 12787 — Joseph and Rachel Rabb Newman
Joseph (c. 1787-1831) and Rachel Rabb (1790-1872) Newman were married in 1806 in Ohio. Following Joseph's service in the War of 1812 in Illinois, they lived in Arkansas Territory on the Red River before moving into Texas in 1820. In 1823, they left . . . — Map (db m96300) HM
Texas (Wharton County), El Campo — 1410 — El Campo
Begun as a camp on the New York, Texas, and Mexican Railroad in 1882, El Campo initially was known as Prairie Switch and served as a supply and shipping center for area ranchers. By the 1890s the town had grown to include a post office, homes, . . . — Map (db m96319) HM
Texas (Wharton County), El Campo — 1408 — El Campo Library Building
The El Campo Library Association began the city's first library in 1902. A public library opened at the downtown fire station in 1927. After a branch of the Wharton County Library was established in El Campo in 1939, this facility was completed in . . . — Map (db m96318) HM
Texas (Wharton County), El Campo — 1795 — First National Bank of El Campo
The First National Bank of El Campo traces its history to the Koch and Poole Mercantile Company. In 1890 El Campo was an exciting new railroad town. Customers left their money in the Koch and Poole safe for protection, and soon the store assumed the . . . — Map (db m33213) HM
Texas (Wharton County), El Campo — Prairie Switch
El Campo was known as "Prairie Switch" when it was established in 1881 as a siding and shipping point on the New York, Texas and Mexican Railroad, where cattlemen rounded up their herds for shipping. It was also a station for construction gangs . . . — Map (db m32550) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Hungerford — 2662 — J. D. Hudgins Ranch
Joel Hudgins (1800-1873) of North Carolina came to the Republic of Texas in 1839 and settled in the Hungerford area. He married Rachel Ann Northington McKenzie (d. 1903) in 1847. He was elected county commissioner in 1854. After Joel's death, . . . — Map (db m124418) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Hungerford — 3588 — New York, Texas & Mexican Railroad and The Community of Hungerford
Attracted by the State of Texas' offer of free land to railroad developers, a charter for the New York, Texas & Mexican Railroad was secured in 1880. Its major investor, John W. Mackay, made his fortune in the Nevada silver mines. His . . . — Map (db m125417) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Hungerford — 4873 — Site of Post West Bernard Station — (3.5 Mi. NW)
In the summer of 1837 Post West Bernard Station was established as an ordnance depot of the army of The Republic of Texas. Its location on the West Bernard River was strategic in protecting Houston, then capital of Texas, from possible invasion by . . . — Map (db m124425) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Hungerford — 4875 — Site of Quinan Community — (¼ Mi. W)
The village of Quinan was established about 1872 on the Wharton-Richmond road. It was named for Judge George E. Quinan (1819-1893), who lived south of here on Peach Creek. A native of Ireland, Quinan served in the Texas Senate and on the state Court . . . — Map (db m124422) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Wharton — 894 — City of Wharton
The town of Wharton was founded as the seat of Wharton County in April 1846. Land for a courthouse, named Monterey Square, was given from the land grant of William Kincheloe, one of Stephen F. Austin's "Old Three Hundred" colonists who settled in . . . — Map (db m120594) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Wharton — 2880 — Judge George E. Quinan — (1819-1893)
A native of Dublin, Ireland, George E. Quinan came to Texas in the 1830s. By the mid-1840s he had moved to Wharton and set up a law office near this site. He was elected district attorney in 1845. Quinan and his wife Mary Anne established a home on . . . — Map (db m120600) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Wharton — 4631 — Security Bank and Trust Company
The Security Bank and Trust Company traces its history to the Wharton National Bank. The second banking institution to open in the city, the Wharton National Bank was organized in 1902, and closed in 1915. Following reorganization, the bank reopened . . . — Map (db m120599) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Wharton — 12293 — Site of Plaza Hotel and Plaza Theater
Built on Wharton's Courthouse Square, the Plaza Hotel began circa 1904 as a two-story brick structure with a large dining room on the first floor and 20 rooms to let. Owned and operated by R. B. Huston and his wife Lula Merriwether Huston, the Plaza . . . — Map (db m120601) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Wharton — 4895 — Site of the Home of Robert McAlpin Williamson
Born in Georgia in 1806 Editor "The Texas Gazette" and "The Mexican Citizen," pioneer Texas newspapers Active in the Revolution Member of the Supreme Court of the Republic, 1836-1839 Member of Texas Legislature 1846-1849 Died . . . — Map (db m120597) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Wharton — 4917 — Site of World War II Prisoner of War Camp
Included in a land grant awarded in 1824 to Martin Allen, one of Stephen F. Austin's "Old Three Hundred" colonists, this property has had a long and varied history. In the 1840s Allen's heirs sold most of his land to Albert Clinton Horton, Wharton . . . — Map (db m96304) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Wharton — 5775 — Wharton County
Wharton County Created April 3, 1846 From Matagorda, Jackson and Colorado Counties, Organized same year Named for William H. Wharton 1806-1839 Texas minister to the United States 1836-1837, and his brother John A. Wharton . . . — Map (db m120596) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Wharton — Wharton County Confederate Memorial
Front: "Lest We Forget" 1861-1865 Dedicated to the Confederate veterans of Wharton County by the J.E.B. Stuart Chapter Daughters of Confederacy Commanders of Buchel Camp Col. I.N. Dennis Capt. G.C. Duncan R.M. Brown . . . — Map (db m122254) WM
Texas (Wharton County), Wharton — 14041 — Wharton County Courthouse
The Texas legislature created Wharton County in 1846, incorporating part of Stephen F. Austin's original land grant from Mexico. The William Kincheloe family donated land on the east bank of the Colorado River for a courthouse square, and the home . . . — Map (db m120593) HM

24 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.