Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lehigh Canal Historical Markers

Markers commemorating the history of the Lehigh Canal, which ran along the Lehigh River from Mauch Chunk (now Jim Thorpe) to Easton, Pennsylvania. The canal remnants are now part of the Delaware & Lehigh National Heritage Corridor.
 
Lambertville Outlet Lock Marker image, Touch for more information
By Russell Galen, December 24, 2016
Lambertville Outlet Lock Marker
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Lambertville — Lambertville Outlet Lock
The outlet lock at this location was built to allow canal boats to pass between the Delaware & Raritan Canal and Pennsylvania's Delaware Canal. Canal boats loaded with coal from the Lehigh Valley would come down the Lehigh Canal to Easton, . . . — Map (db m100644) HM
New Jersey (Warren County), Phillipsburg — Morris Canal Bridge No. 2
This bridge marks the western limit of Morris Canal property acquired by the state under agreement, November 29th 1922. The canal was chartered December 31st 1824, and opened for business in 1831. Two miles west of this point, at the Delaware River, . . . — Map (db m30505) HM
New Jersey (Warren County), Phillipsburg — Stites - Thomas StoreCirca 1849
First built as a grain sale and transfer station from the Morris to Lehigh Canal. Horse drawn trailers were driven into the store for grain loading. The grain was then put on canal boats and transported up the Lehigh. In the 1870's it was used as a . . . — Map (db m30515) HM
Pennsylvania (Bucks County), Bristol — Life Along the CanalDelaware Canal State Park
“We used to trade a lot along the canal, people who had vegetables and things, we’d give them coal and they’d give us cabbages, tomatoes and things like that. Then there were lock tenders whose wives made good bread. We’d give them coal for . . . — Map (db m62626) HM
Pennsylvania (Carbon County), Jim Thorpe — Dams Made the Lehigh Canal1829-1951
"It should be borne in mind that in timber dams it is the weight of the stone ballast that keeps the structure in place, and not the bulk and combination of the timbers." Edwin F. Smith, Dam Building in Navigable and Other Streams . . . — Map (db m138500) HM
Pennsylvania (Carbon County), Jim Thorpe — Railroad Intersection
"Built in 1850, the (inclined) planes were 1,200 feet long and 430 feet high. As a loaded car descended on one plane. it would draw an empty car up the other plane." John Koehler, Railroad Historian, Weatherly You are . . . — Map (db m114632) HM
Pennsylvania (Carbon County), Jim Thorpe — The Self Made ManView his Life from his Home — 1805 - 1879 —
First Marker: The Self Made Man "...there is no distinction to which any young man may not aspier, and with energy, diligence, intelligence, and virtue, obtain." From Asa Packer's 1867 biography "The Rich Men of the World and How . . . — Map (db m32270) HM
Pennsylvania (Carbon County), Lehighton — Lehighton's Been Workin' on the Railroad!

"The first workers' whistle [at Packerton Yard] sounded at 5 a.m. as a wakeup call while the second at 7 a.m. was the signal for the men to start work." Thomas D. Eckhart The History of Carbon County, v. . . . — Map (db m116344) HM

Pennsylvania (Carbon County), Summit Hill — Backtrack TrestleRenaissance Historic Site
At the corner of Pine and Ludlow, an important part of the Switchback Gravity Railroad was completed around 1844. Upon returning from Mauch Chunk, empty mine cars began their Summit Hill descent east of town at the Mount Jefferson Plane. Passing . . . — Map (db m128304) HM
Pennsylvania (Carbon County), Summit Hill — Switchback Railroad
A gravity railroad was built along this mountain in 1827 to carry coal from the mines near Summit Hill to the Lehigh Canal at Mauch Chunk. A back-track and two planes were added in 1844 for the return trip by gravity. Railroad crossed the highway . . . — Map (db m125636) HM
Pennsylvania (Carbon County), Weatherly — Lehigh Gorge State Park
Welcome to Lehigh Gorge State Park. This 4,548-acre park stretches 32 miles along the Lehigh River from the Francis E. Walter Dam in the north to Jim Thorpe in the south. Carved by the power of the Lehigh River, the park's deep gorge, steep . . . — Map (db m114645) HM
Pennsylvania (Carbon County), Weissport — Exploring the CorridorWeissport Lehigh Canal Park — 1828 -1932 —
Welcome to the Delaware and Lehigh National and State Heritage Corridor, a collection of people, places and events that helped shape our great nation. Come journey through five Pennsylvania counties bursting with heritage and brimming with outdoor . . . — Map (db m114644) HM
Pennsylvania (Carbon County), Weissport — The Hub in its HeydayWeissport Lehigh Canal — 1829-1942 —
As long as the Lehigh Canal prospered, so did Weissport. When the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company located its primary boatyard here, it transformed both sides of the Canal into a bustling manufacturing complex.

Look around…imagine a planning . . . — Map (db m133884) HM

Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Alburtis — Lock Ridge Furnace
From charcoal to “stone coal” During the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, the Lehigh Valley, with its wealth of trees for charcoal fuel and substantial sources of ore, attracted many enterprising iron facilities to . . . — Map (db m85224) HM
Pennsylvania (Lehigh County), Slatington — Lehigh Valley Railroad Station1862 -1969
Entrepreneur Asa Parker founded the Lehigh Valley Railroad (LVRR) in 1853 to more efficiently transport anthracite coal to market. A freight and passenger station was constructed on this site in 1862. The LVRR Slatedale Branch opened in 1870 for the . . . — Map (db m85695) HM
Pennsylvania (Luzerne County), White Haven — Thank Josiah White
"Whitehaven is situated at the head of the Lehigh Navigation, and some eight or ten miles above the commencement of the coal formation. Its trade is therefore confined to the running of lumber; and this, judging from the number of sawmills in the . . . — Map (db m114617) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — 18 — The Flow Of Goods & MoneyBethlehem At The Crossroads

How did a small city in the Lehigh Valley become home to one of America's largest steel producers? In the early decades of the company, Bethlehem's location near major cities, raw materials, and transportation routes positioned it for . . . — Map (db m113926) HM

Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Easton — Easton & Nearby Heritage Attractions1829 - 1932

Easton is situated at the confluence of the Lehigh and Delaware Rivers. Founded in the early 1750s, it became an important river community and transportation junction. Opened by 1834, the Lehigh, Morris, and Delaware Canal systems carried . . . — Map (db m109572) HM

Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Easton — Lehigh Canal
This canal's 47 miles from Mauch Chunk to Easton were constructed 1827-1829. Here the Lehigh Canal connected with the Delaware Canal to Philadelphia, and with the Morris Canal to New York. Vital to the transport of anthracite coal and to the rise of . . . — Map (db m29601) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Raubsville — Life Along The Canal1831-1932 — Delaware Canal —
Canallers You became a captain as young as sixteen by showing “The Company” what you could do. You demonstrate how to “snub” (slow down and brake for lock operations), keep accurate cargo records (pay based on number of . . . — Map (db m86113) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Walnutport — Floating From Mine to MarketThe Lehigh Canal — 1829-1942 —
The Lehigh Navigation, built by the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company, was used to transport anthracite coal from mines in north eastern Pennsylvania to New York, Easton, Philadelphia, and beyond. Workers dug much of the canal by hand, constructing . . . — Map (db m85561) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Walnutport — Lehigh Canal
Completed in 1829 under the guidance of entrepreneur Josiah White, this 46 mile canal was constructed in only two years. Operated by the Lehigh Coal and Navigation Company, this hand dug canal contained 52 locks and 8 dams. Canal boats transported . . . — Map (db m85529) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Walnutport — Pennsylvania House Slate Exchange Hotel
The Pennsylvania House and Slate Exchange Hotels provided lodging for railroad passengers and travelers on the Lehigh Canal. Phaon Bittner and Daniel Muse constructed the Pennsylvania House in 1868. After purchasing Muse’s interests, Bittner ran the . . . — Map (db m85519) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Walnutport — Walnutport
Incorporated as a borough in 1909, Walnutport was originally a part of Lehigh Township. The area’s first settlers were from Germany, Switzerland, Ireland and Scotland. Walnutport was established as a boat repair center along the Lehigh Canal. The . . . — Map (db m85517) HM

24 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement