Many pioneers from Alamo and surrounding towns have been buried here since the 1850s. Alamo Cemetery is part of the Alamo-Lafayette Cemetery District. We dedicate this plaque in the 125th year of the first recorded burial January 1856. — — Map (db m94013) HM
Fages, Commandante at Monterey, vainly looked for a way across San Francisco Bay. With Juan Crespi, Franciscan missionary, 14 soldiers, a muleteer and an Indian servant, he trekked along Carquinez Strait, thence eastward nearly to Antioch. Turning . . . — — Map (db m91703) HM
This property, site of the first building constructed in 1858, was owned by pioneer Daniel Inman (1827-1908) for whom Danville was named.
The property was purchased by James E. Close (1848-1904), who operated a blacksmith shop, in 1875. In 1907 . . . — — Map (db m93670) HM
The first schoolhouse in the area was built south of Danville in 1858. In 1867, a new grammar school was built on this Front Street site. This building served until being razed in 1896 and replaced by the one-room schoolhouse pictured. It was . . . — — Map (db m93672) HM
The Danville Hotel, originally the Railroad Hotel, was built in 1891 when the Southern Pacific Railroad came to Danville. It was at the corner of Railroad Avenue and Short Street and faced west. It was owned and operated by Mr. and Mrs. Edward . . . — — Map (db m93673) HM
The 19.7 mile San Ramon Branch Line of the Southern Pacific Railroad was built through here in 1891. Original Danville station plat consisted of 8.65 acres.
Railroad service was terminated in 1978. The right-of-way was converted soon after to the . . . — — Map (db m93668) HM
In August of 1910 the San Ramon Valley Union High School District was formed. For the first six years high school classes were held in Danville at two different locations, with two teachers and thirty students.
In 1916 ten acres were purchased at . . . — — Map (db m94020) HM
This one room school house was built by the Tassajara School District in 1889 and served the entire area until 1946 at which time the district was merged with the Danville Union School District. The black walnut trees were planted and cared for by . . . — — Map (db m94021) HM
The Danville Grange was a farmers' association and the hub of the community in the late 1800's and early 1900's. The Grange was instrumental in bringing many improvements to the valley over the years, such as San Ramon Valley High School, a public . . . — — Map (db m93671) HM
In 1919, Congress established the national charter for the American Legion to honor veterans of the Great War. Contra Costa administered a California bond issued to build veteran's memorial halls in each town with an American Legion Post. . . . — — Map (db m93675) HM WM