Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Elkhart, Indiana Historical Markers

 
Ambrose G. Bierce Marker image, Touch for more information
By Dave Zollinger, July 6, 2010
Ambrose G. Bierce Marker
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — 20.1998.2 — Ambrose G. Bierce
Born in Ohio 1842; family moved to Kosciusko County, Indiana 1846. Bierce lived and worked in Elkhart 1860-1861. Union officer wounded in Civil War. Moved to California 1866; became nationally prominent as journalist, short story writer, and critic. . . . — Map (db m44852) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Bucklen Opera House — 1884 - 1986 — Elkhart, Heritage of the City With a Heart —
Bucklen Opera House 1884 - 1986 Main and Harrison Streets Commissioned by: Herbert E. Bucklen Architect: Unknown General Contractor: Unknown The Bucklen Opera House, built in 1884 on the northwest corner of Main and Harrison . . . — Map (db m64642) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — 20.2006.1 — C.G. Conn Company
Side One: Charles Gerard Conn began the musical instrument industry in Elkhart; city has been called the Band Industry Capital of the World. By 1874 producing rubber mouthpiece; was granted patent 1875; began producing musical . . . — Map (db m30747) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — 20.2009.1 — Charles Gordone
Born in Ohio, 1925, Gordone grew up in Elkhart and graduated from Elkhart High School in 1944. In the 1950s, he moved to New York City where he worked as an actor, director, and playwright. During the 1960s, he acted in the award-winning . . . — Map (db m32734) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Development of Diagnostic Test Strips — Elkhart, Indiana - 1956
A Miles Laboratories research team led by Alfred and Helen Free developed the first diagnostic test strip, Clinistix(R), for detecting glucose in urine. Reagent-impregnated strips changed color based on the concentration of glucose. This . . . — Map (db m64643) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — 20.2007.2 — Dr. Franklin L. Miles
Side one: Born circa 1845 in Ohio. Graduated from Rush Medical College 1874. Moved medical practice from Chicago to Elkhart 1875. Began The Dr. Miles Medical Company 1885 to sell Dr. Miles' Nervine, Restorative Nerve and Liver pills, and . . . — Map (db m44877) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — 20.2006.2 — E. Hill Turnock
(Side one): Added many buildings to the architectural significance of Elkhart, Goshen, and Nappanee. Born mid-1850s in England; his family moved to Elkhart early 1870s. In mid-1880s he moved to Chicago; worked until 1890 with architect . . . — Map (db m32728) HM
Indiana (Elkhart county), Elkhart — Elkhart Carnegie Public Library — 1903 - 1963 — Elkhart, Heritage of the City With a Heart —
Elkhart Carnegie Public Library 1903-1963 Second and High Streets Local Financial Supporters: A.H. Beardsley, G.B. Pratt, Sr. And the City of Elkhart Head Librarian: Katherine Sage In February 1901, backed by a promise from . . . — Map (db m75445) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Elkhart Civil War Monument
(Front (West) Panel) Erected A.D. 1909, by the Ex-Soldiers and Sailors Association Elkhart Indiana To the memory of our departed heroes of the Union Army. Their services to a grateful country were gallant and self sacrificing. May . . . — Map (db m76220) WM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Elkhart County Revolutionary Soldiers Memorial
Erected by The William Tuffs Chapter National Society Daughters of the American Revolution In Honor of the Revolutionary Soldiers Buried in Elkhart County William Tuffs • Walter Denny • John Proctor • Jacob Leer • John R. . . . — Map (db m75444) WM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Elkhart High School — 1910 - 1972 — Elkhart, Heritage of the City With a Heart —
Elkhart High School was designed and built to match the existing Central School Building (bottom photo), creating a unified pair of buildings covering the whole block of High St. between Second and Third Streets. Central School became a . . . — Map (db m75446) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Elkhart River Old Indian Trail
The old Indian trail which followed the Elkhart River, turned here to the northwest, and connected the “Miamis Fort” with “Fort St. Joseph”. From the time of the French and Indian War in 1755 to 1763, up to the . . . — Map (db m76258) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Elkhart River Wharves
East from this point, along the "Elkheart" River were located the wharves where produce and merchandise to and from the village of "Elkheart", 1835 to 1851, was carried by Keel and Steamboat. — Map (db m61185) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Havilah Beardsley — 1795 – 1856
In Honor of Havilah Beardsley. 1795 – 1856 First physician of this township who purchased Section five of the Indians in 1829, and in 1832 laid out the original plat of Elkhart. Built the first saw mill in 1831; the first flour . . . — Map (db m73147) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Island Park
Island Park was given to the City of Elkhart in the Year 1887 by James Rufus Beardsley It has been passed down through early Indian legions that the form of this island resembled an elk's heart - it is very probable, that from this source . . . — Map (db m69774) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Lou Criger
This memorial is dedicated to the life of Lou Criger Born in Elkhart, Ind., Feb. 6, 1872 to Charles J. and Lovina Stutsman Criger, the city's first major leaguer was known as one of the best catchers of his day and caught most of Cy Young's . . . — Map (db m67096) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Main St. Memorial Bridge
Main St. Memorial Bridge 1917   • Dedicated •   1918 To the Sons of Elkhart County Who Died in the World War Fravel Edward Alleman • Charles O. Anderson • Eugene J. Badina • John H. Berkey • Fred Leroy Bloom • Merrill Charles Bloss • . . . — Map (db m73150) WM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Ruthmere — 1908
Erected by Albert R. Beardsley Placed on the National Register of Historic Places November 28, 1978 by the United States Department of the Interior in cooperation with the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Division of Historic . . . — Map (db m76259) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Silas Baldwin Civil War Memorial
(Top Front Panel) Lieut. Frank Baldwin Killed in battle at Stone River December 31st, 1862. Aged 18 yrs. (Bottom Front Panel) Erected by Silas Baldwin in honor of the heroes who fought and the martyrs who fell in the . . . — Map (db m76256) WM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — The Havilah Beardsley House
The Havilah Beardsley House 102 West Beardsley Avenue has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1848 — Map (db m76261) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — The History of Boot Lake
An Icy Beginning Millions of years ago Elkhart was covered by glaciers. The Glaciers moved south, eroding the land collecting glacial drift. 9,000 BC The glaciers eventually began to retreat north, leaving behind their glacial . . . — Map (db m68532) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — The Rivers and the Native Americans — Our Rivers' Story
The Early Inhabitants of the Valley Centuries before the area was settled by whites, at least two different native tribes inhabited the St Joseph Valley. The Miami The Miami were the first recorded tribe known to have lived in . . . — Map (db m69777) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — The Rivers for Industry — Our Rivers' Story
The Hydraulics      Elkhart's early development as an industrial city can be attributed to its proximity to several waterways. Before the advent of electric power, the early industry pioneers harnessed the power of the river flow to . . . — Map (db m69752) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — The Rivers for Recreation — Our Rivers' Story
Island Park      The island formed by the confluence of the Elkhart and St. Joseph Rivers could be said to be the birthplace of our community. According to folklore, the Native Americans living in the area named the Elkhart River, . . . — Map (db m69775) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Trooper Richard T. Gaston, PE# 6679
Born 1 December 1969 Killed in the line of duty on the Indiana Toll Road St. Joseph County 4 March 1999 Served the Indiana State Police from 13 December 1998 to 4 March 1999 — Map (db m88601) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — Village of Pulaski
Pulaski post office established here 1829. Fort Wayne Road, to Chicago-Detroit Road and Niles, forded the river at this point. Village of Elkhart was laid out in 1832 and post office name changed to Elkhart in 1839. — Map (db m69729) HM

26 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement