Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Milford, Delaware Historical Markers

 
Bethel AME Church image, Touch for more information
By Nate Davidson, April 21, 2011
Bethel AME Church
Delaware (Kent County), Milford — KC-111 — Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church
It is believed that parishioners of Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church were worshiping in a private residence on North Street by 1859. The church eventually moved to a site on Church Street to accommodate the growing congregation. On March 2, . . . — Map (db m69034) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Milford — KC-101 — Christ ChurchMispillion Milford
Christ Church Mispillion was the second parish in Delaware established by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts. The Rev. Thomas Crawford first held services of the Church of England in lower Kent County in 1704. The . . . — Map (db m69033) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Milford — KC-114 — Colonel John Haslet
Colonel John Haslet-A native of Ulster, Ireland, John Haslet was born circa 1728 and emigrated to America about 1757. After playing an active role in the Pennsylvania militia during the French and Indian War, Haslet eventually settled in the Milford . . . — Map (db m142542) HM WM
Delaware (Kent County), Milford — Joseph Oliver
In memory of Joseph Oliver who departed this life February 28, twenty minutes after seven in the morning in the Year of our Lord 1807 aged about eighty years.

Joseph Oliver was owner of land North of the Mispillion River, formally known as Saw . . . — Map (db m41882) HM

Delaware (Kent County), Milford — Liberty Tree Memorial
This American Liberty Elm was named after “The Liberty Tree: Our Country’s first Symbol of Freedom.” On the morning of August 14, 1765, the people of Boston awakened to discover two effigies suspended from an elm tree in protest of the . . . — Map (db m142576) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Milford — K 29 — Milford
Town laid out by Joseph Oliver 1787. Village was located on tract then called “Saw-Mill Range.” Named Milford from fording place near mill-dam erected by Rev. Sydenham Thorne across Mispillion Creek, 1787. First incorporated . . . — Map (db m36909) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Milford — KC 28 — Milford
Town laid out by Joseph Oliver 1787. Village was located on tract then called “Saw-Mill Range.” Named Milford from fording place near mill-dam erected by Rev. Sydenham Thorne across Mispillion Creek, 1787. First incorporated . . . — Map (db m36950) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Milford — Milford Veterans Memorial
Milford honors her men and women who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States in all wars In memory of the founders, builders and defenders of our home town In memory of Thomas G. Hanley for . . . — Map (db m142551) WM
Delaware (Kent County), Milford — Mispillion River Greenway Historical Sites
See individual pictures for text. — Map (db m41884) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Milford — KC-115 — Observation Tower at Big Stone Beach
The metal observation tower at Big Stone Beach was one of five constructed in Delaware between World Wars I and II to reinforce nearby Fort Saulsbury. These towers formed an integral part of the fort’s fire control system. Built from metal and . . . — Map (db m142612) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Milford — KC-92 — Parson Thorne Mansion(Silver Hill)
This historic building lies within a 1,750 acre Duke of York land patent called Saw Mill Range granted to Henry Bowman in 1680. The first known resident of this portion of the tract was Joseph Booth, who purchased 510 acres from the Bowman . . . — Map (db m37393) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Milford — KC-65 — Site of Milford's First Methodist Church
The beginning of Methodism in this community can be traced to the organization of a local “society” in 1777. Early meetings were held in the homes of its members. On December 3, 1787, Joseph Oliver conveyed a lot of ground at . . . — Map (db m36888) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Milford — Site of the Home of General Alfred T.A. Torbert
On this site stood the home of General Alfred T. A. Torbert who served his country in the War Between the States and later as Consul General at Paris. The building was erected circa 1825 by Benjamin Wadhams for a tavern and later was remodeled for a . . . — Map (db m142578) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Milford — The Towers
The Towers has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m41880) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — Abbott's Mill
The origin of Abbott’s Mill can be traced to the fall of 1795 when local carpenter Nathan Willey entered into a contract to purchase land at this location. On April 23, 1802, Willey and several of his neighbors presented a petition to the Court of . . . — Map (db m38641) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — Absalom Jones1746-1818
Born near this place on a plantation known as “Cedar Town”, Jones moved to Philadelphia in 1762 and in 1784 purchased his freedom. He helped to establish the Free African Society in 1787. A leader of the independent African-American . . . — Map (db m38626) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — Causey House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m142581) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — Fort Saulsbury
Constructed in 1917 as a coastal defense fortification of the U.S. Army. Names for Willard Saulsbury, U.S. Senator from Delaware 1859-1871. Two batteries were located within the fort, each with two 12-inch gun emplacements. The north battery was . . . — Map (db m38634) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — Major General Alfred T.A. Torbert
Torbert Memorial Statue This memorial statue was commissioned by the Milford Museum to honor and commemorate the 175th anniversary of the birth of Major General Alfred T.A. Torbert, born July 1, 1833.

General Torbert, a West Point graduate, class . . . — Map (db m38639) HM

Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — Major General Alfred T.A. Torbert
Alfred Thomas Archimedes Torbert was a gallant and distinguished officer and leader during the Civil War achieving the rank of Major General in the Union Army. He was a strict disciplinarian who saw to the needs of his troops gaining their respect . . . — Map (db m142602) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — SC-14 — Milford
Town laid out by Joseph Oliver 1787. Village was located on tract then called "Saw-Mill Range". Named Milford from fording place near mill-dam erected by Rev. Sydenham Thorne across Mispillion Creek, 1787. First incorporated 1807. Old town in Kent . . . — Map (db m38632) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — SC 26 — Milford
Town laid out by Joseph Oliver 1787. Village was located on tract then called "Saw-Mill Range". Named Milford from fording place near mill-dam erected by Rev. Sydenham Thorne across Mispillion Creek, 1787. First incorporated 1807. Old town in Kent . . . — Map (db m38638) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — SC-184 — Milford's Struggle for Educational Equality
On May 17, 1954, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in the case of Brown v. Board of Education, declaring racially segregated public schools unconstitutional. In August 1954, a petition was submitted to the Milford Board of Education requesting . . . — Map (db m142583) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — SC-115 — Slaughter Neck United Methodist Church
The history of this congregation can be traced to the early days of Methodism in this country. In 1777 a group of area residents gathered at the home of a “Mr. Shockely” to organize a local Methodist “Society.” While visiting . . . — Map (db m38623) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — SC-245 — Temple Lodge No. 9 A.F. & A.M.
Organized Freemasonry in Delaware can be traced to the mid-18th century. On January 16, 1815, Temple Lodge No. 9 A.F. & A.M. was chartered by the Grand Lodge of Delaware, Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons while it convened at the State House in . . . — Map (db m142580) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — The Vaules-Grier HomeKenton's Legacy
The original house on this site was built in 1872 by W. Thornton Vaules, a station agent for the local railroad. In 1895 his daughter, Ella married the young dentist G. Layton Grier and moved into this house with her parents. Upon the death of . . . — Map (db m142579) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — SC-255 — The Vinyard Shipbuilding Company
Founded in 1896 by Wilson M. Vinyard, the Vinyard Shipbuilding Company was the first Milford shipyard to build motorized vessels. The shipyard built numerous ships for the government including Navy subchasers and Coast Guard patrol boats. In 1927, . . . — Map (db m142577) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — Vale-Williams Memorial City Hall
Here stood the home of Col. Robert Hill Williams. After it was destroyed by fire his daughter Maria Elizabeth Williams Vale and her husband Ruby Ross Vale constructed upon the site the present City Hall and gave it to the City of Milford - an . . . — Map (db m41883) HM

28 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement