Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Mineola, Texas Historical Markers

 
"The Old Mineola City Hall" and Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, September 1, 2019
"The Old Mineola City Hall" and Marker
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — "The Old Mineola City Hall"
In December of 1902 the city hall building burned. For more than 20 years the city conducted business in rented quarters. In 1929 the City bought land at the corner of N. Line and W. Kilpatrick St., the site of this building, from the Barney B. Hart . . . — Map (db m139532) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — Addie E. McFarland
Addie E. McFarland, an early black educator in Mineola, first opened a kindergarten program in her home before being asked to teach first and second grade at the public school. Miss Addie taught full time until 1944 when she became ill. After her . . . — Map (db m139482) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 8963 — Birthplace of Miss Ima Hogg
Born here on July 10, 1882, Ima Hogg was the only daughter of Sarah Stinson and Gov. James S. Hogg. Ima studied fine arts at the University of Texas in Austin, and in New York and Europe. In 1918 oil was discovered on the Varner-Hogg Plantation near . . . — Map (db m139022) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 12615 — C. W. Raines
A native of Upson County, Georgia, Cadwell Walton Raines (1839-1906) contributed to Texas history as a Methodist preacher, schoolteacher, attorney, newspaper publisher, county official, historian and state librarian. He first came to this state in . . . — Map (db m138988) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 16887 — Callaway House
Wood County natives Lorenzo Dow Callaway (1869-1918) and Elizabeth Williams (1874-1949) married in 1892 and had five children. Lorenzo joined his father, James Anderson Callaway, in his mercantile business, and had other varied interests including . . . — Map (db m139051) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 15843 — Dr Pepper Bottling Plant
Taylor Greer, Henry Mings and A. W. Fulcher purchased this property for a bottling plant in 1913. Greer and his wife, Ebbie (Bomar), later bought the others' interests and ran the plant, which bottled milk and soft drinks. In 1926, Greer Bottling . . . — Map (db m139032) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 13453 — Dr. Adolphus Leander Patten(1823-1900)
Adolphus Patten was born in North Carolina to Elijah and Nancy Watson Patten. He opened a medical practice in Rome, Georgia, where he married Emeline Eliza Trout in 1846. In 1854, they set out with family members to California via Texas but settled . . . — Map (db m139057) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 12633 — First Baptist Church of Mineola
This site has been home to the First Baptist Church of Mineola since the congregation's first frame building was constructed here in 1877. The church's history dates to the early years of Mineola's development, after the town was founded in 1873 at . . . — Map (db m139035) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 12771 — First National Bank Building
Chartered in 1898, the First National Bank of Mineola was housed in several downtown locations before this building was constructed in 1912. Built on the site of the former Mineola Mercantile, which burned in 1903, the bank building exhibits a blend . . . — Map (db m139011) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 12626 — First National Bank of Mineola
Chartered on May 31, 1898, the First National Bank of Mineola incorporated for $50,000 at $500 per share. The majority shareholder, lawyer and former Wood County Judge H. M. Cates, became first president. Local photographer J. O. Teagarden served as . . . — Map (db m139039) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 12766 — George C. Reeves(Aug. 31, 1854 - Aug. 29, 1934)
Georgia native George C. Reeves came to Mineola soon after its founding in 1873. He served as city marshal, and through his association with County Attorney (later Governor) Jim Hogg, he became a transfer agent for the state penitentiary system. . . . — Map (db m139056) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 13554 — Gov. James Stephen Hogg and Wood County
James Stephen Hogg lived in Wood County from 1868 to 1882, formative years of his political career. When he became Governor, he appointed several Wood County friends to public offices. They included: Sarah Rosalie Patten Buchanan, who became a . . . — Map (db m139023) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 12602 — Harry W. Meredith
Kentucky native Harry Meredith (1871-1962) attended business college in Illinois and was owner-operator of a brick plant in his hometown of Leitchfield before moving to Mineola, Texas, with his wife, Mary Henri Hunter, by 1907.

Meredith . . . — Map (db m139036) HM

Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 11661 — John Creighton Buchanan(February 24, 1850-December 9, 1884)
Louisiana native John Creighton Buchanan moved to East Texas and established a legal practice in Quitman. He became the first Wood County Attorney in 1876, the year before he married Sarah Rosalie "Rosa" Patten (1855-1941). He represented Rains, . . . — Map (db m139070) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 8976 — Lott House
Angus and Lena Beaird began construction of this house in 1918; it was completed in the early 1920s. The Beairds sold the house in 1928 to Howard and Vivian Lott, who were leaders in the development of Mineola and Wood County. The house exhibits . . . — Map (db m139049) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — Mallory Bros. Grocery and Feed Stores
M.T. Mallory and his sons, Eugene and Claude, beginning in 1916 owned and operated two grocery stores and a feed store. The first location was at 112 South Johnson Street. Shortly after 1920 the store location was moved to 127 West Broad Street at . . . — Map (db m139533) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 14536 — Mineola
Since its establishment in 1873, the community of Mineola has been tied historically to the railroad and transportation industries. The Texas & Pacific Railroad planned to connect Longview and Dallas by rail, and began building west in 1872. . . . — Map (db m138978) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 16321 — Mineola Black Spiders
In the 1800s and into the first half of the twentieth century, African-American baseball teams played separately from white teams. The community of Mineola, though small in population, had both white and black baseball teams. The Mineola Black . . . — Map (db m138972) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — Mineola Black SpidersBy Tillman Cooke
The Mineola Black Spiders were minor league baseball players who played in league where only the ball was "white". Consisting of 27 players clad in solid gray uniforms, figuratively speaking, could thump the cover of a baseball. All home games were . . . — Map (db m139481) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 13747 — Mineola Fire Department
In the 1870s, the Texas & Pacific and International & Great Northern railroads built lines through this area, with the town of Mineola serving as the eventual juncture of the two. Fire was one of many challenges faced by early local inhabitants of . . . — Map (db m139053) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — Mineola Ice, Light and Water Company
This business located on Front Street was established in October, 1902. The owners were Dr.Cochran, Mr. C.M. Dozier, and Mr. J.P. Kittrell.

The company had a power plant that produced all the electricity for the city. They also had an ice . . . — Map (db m139485) HM

Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 14431 — Mineola Opera Houses
The Opera House Era in Mineola lasted from the 1870s until the 1910s and was an important period in the city’s social history. Rail connections to bigger cities brought many famous artists here. In 1877, William J. McDonald opened McDonald Hall, and . . . — Map (db m139005) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 16338 — Mineola Public Library
Mineola Public Library (later Mineola Memorial Library) was established largely through the efforts of Vivian Williams Lott. She became interested in opening a public library after seeing one while working as a teacher in San Benito (Cameron Co.) in . . . — Map (db m139037) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 18493 — Mineola Schools
When the Texas & Pacific and the International & Great Northern Railroads intersected in 1873, the town of Mineola was created. Settlers quickly saw the need for educational facilities for their children. Shortly thereafter, private schools were . . . — Map (db m139052) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 15997 — Mineola's Jewish Community
Jewish immigrants who came to Texas through Galveston started arriving by train in Mineola shortly after its establishment in 1873. Many soon established businesses near the intersection of Broad and Johnson Streets, including Simon and Aaron . . . — Map (db m139016) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — O. P. Pyle
Arkansas native Owen Pinkney Pyle (1867-1919) was publisher and editor of the Mineola Courier at the turn of the century. An advocate of the farmer he was instrumental in establishing the Texas Farm Union and the National Farmers Educational and . . . — Map (db m139018) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 9019 — O. P. Pyle House
An early leader of the Texas progressive era and a national spokesman for the concerns of farmers, O. P. Pyle had this home constructed in 1903-04, when he was editor and publisher of the Mineola "Courier." Built by local craftsmen, including "Zonn" . . . — Map (db m139021) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 13936 — Railroads in Mineola
This city's fortunes have been tied historically to railroads. Mineola was born in the summer of 1873, as the Houston and Great Northern (later International and Great Northern) and Texas and Pacific lines raced to a predetermined crossing point. . . . — Map (db m138977) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 11666 — Richard Malcolm Smith(December 29, 1852 - August 19, 1935)
Born in Kentucky, Richard Malcolm Smith came to Texas in his youth. He found work as a journalist with the Galveston News and the Brazos Pilot. Smith attended his first Democratic state convention in 1878. He became a lawyer in 1885. . . . — Map (db m139072) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 11667 — Robert N. Stafford(November 6, 1856 - June 18, 1911)
A Georgia native and son of a Methodist minister, Robert N. Stafford moved to Mineola in 1880. He was county attorney from 1880 to 1882, served two terms as district attorney, and was elected to the Texas Senate in 1894. He served twice as a . . . — Map (db m139073) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 15956 — Saloons in Mineola
Mineola's saloon era began with its founding in 1873 at the junction of the Texas and Pacific and the Houston Great Northern Railroads. Saloons catered to Mineola’s many transient workers; the town had at least 14 different saloons during the era, . . . — Map (db m138981) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 11662 — Sarah Rosalie Patten Buchanan(April 23, 1855-February 24, 1941)
Quitman native Sarah Rosalie "Rosa" Patten married future state senator John Creighton Buchanan in 1877. They moved to Mineola, and in 1884 Sarah was left a 29-year-old widow with three young children to support. She became a schoolteacher, and in . . . — Map (db m139038) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 18277 — Site of Barney B. Hart House
A 1906 two-story home was constructed by J.J. McLeod for attorney Barney B. Hart (1845-1925), and the home remained virtually unchanged since a breakfast room was added to the original structure in 1916. Hart family members lived in the home until . . . — Map (db m139034) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 11668 — Site of Public Mineral Water Well
Mineola settlers chose this area, nicknamed "the Forks of the River," for its abundance of water. The town's first water service was administered by A. W. Front, who made daily deliveries to his 50 clients. A water well was located on this site as . . . — Map (db m139014) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 13746 — Site of the Coleman Family Drug Store and Clinic
Dr. Walter Jackson Coleman and his wife, Mary Eugenia (DuBose), moved to Texas with their family from Isney, Alabama in 1897. After settling in the railroad town of Mineola, a traveling salesman persuaded Dr. Coleman to invest in the pharmacy . . . — Map (db m139003) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 13750 — St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church
Extensive settlement in this area began after the end of the Texas Revolution in 1836. The Texas legislature created Wood County in 1850, influencing further settlement. The community of Sodom developed here by 1871, when the Rev. John Branham . . . — Map (db m138974) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — The Dixie Overland Highway - The Jim Hogg Highway
During 1920 the highway from Dallas to Shreveport was routed through Mesquite, Forney, Wills Point, Mineola, Longview and on east to Shreveport. It has no marking and was called "The Dixie Overland Highway" or "42". Miss Clara Bogan (Bunn) is . . . — Map (db m139534) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 13026 — The Thomas Breen Family
Irish immigrant Thomas Breen came to Mineola working for the Texas & Pacific Railroad Company, which reached the town in May 1873. He stayed to be the first ticket agent. In the late 1870s, he wed Irish native Lucy Wilson. In the 1880s, he opened a . . . — Map (db m139040) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — Thomas Clinic Building
James W. Williams, a native of Mineola, was born in 1916, graduated from Mineola High School in 1934, and later received his medical degree with Baylor School of Medicine. In 1946, released from his military service with the Army, Dr. James Williams . . . — Map (db m139484) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 18494 — Utilities in Mineola
Desiring better living conditions, new residents began to look for water, electric and gas providers. The first water service, owned by A.W. Front, delivered water daily to customers in a one-horse wagon in addition to providing a bathhouse for the . . . — Map (db m139055) HM
Texas (Wood County), Mineola — 11663 — William Jesse McDonald(September 28, 1852 - January 15, 1918)
Born in Mississippi, "Bill" McDonald moved with his family to Rusk County, Texas, about 1866. During Reconstruction, McDonald was tried for treason after a conflict with Union authorities but was acquitted. He established W. J. McDonald and Co., one . . . — Map (db m139048) HM

41 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement