Near Florence State Park Marina Road west of Georgia Route 39, on the right when traveling west.
Located on this site was the frontier town of Florence, which was incorporated on December 14, 1837 after the Creek Indians burned the nearby town of Roanoke in 1836. Florence was originally named Liverpool after the English port city. For many . . . — — Map (db m46277) HM
On U.S. 27 Frontage Road 0.2 miles south of Martha Berry Highway (U.S. 27), on the right when traveling south.
Built in the 1850’s, the school was operated by the Antioch Primitive Baptist Church until it was sold to Stewart County in 1895.
The building is believed to have been used for church services until the handsome building to the south was . . . — — Map (db m39157) HM
On U.S. 27 Frontage Road 0.2 miles from Martha Berry Highway (U.S. 27), on the right when traveling south.
Originally Antioch, the town developing at the terminus of the Savannah, Americus and Montgomery (Little SAM) Railroad, was renamed Louvale in 1886.
Antioch Primitive Baptist Church, founded 1832 in Pleasant Valley, moved to Moccasin Gap . . . — — Map (db m39159) HM
On Broad Street (Georgia Route 27) just west of Cotton Street, on the right when traveling east.
The Bedingfield Inn or Tavern was constructed on this site in 1836 by Dr. Bryan N. Bedingfield as a family residence and stagecoach stop. It was a center for commercial and community activities and a one-day's travel from Columbus, Fort Gaines, . . . — — Map (db m24786) HM
On Broad Street (Georgia Route 27) 0 miles east of Cotton Street, on the right when traveling east.
This handsome structure as built in 1895 in the Classical style made popular by the buildings housing the Columbian Exposition in Chicago (1893-94) to which Lumpkin-born architect John Wellborn Root was a major contributor. It replaced a wooden . . . — — Map (db m35044) HM
On Singer Pond Road (County Route 145) at Unnamed dirt road, on the right when traveling south on Singer Pond Road.
Near here on the old Fort Gaines Road, the first Monday in August 1829, at the home of Allen and Jeanette (Roby) Wamble, was held the first Inferior Court for Randolph County which, at that time, included Stewart, Webster and Randolph Counties. . . . — — Map (db m35178) HM
On Old Eufaula Road (County Route 149) 0.6 miles east of County Route 13, on the left when traveling west.
Green Grove Missionary Baptist Church
This church served as the focus for the religious, educational and cultural life of African Americans in the Green Grove community during the late 19th century and well into the 20th . . . — — Map (db m23459) HM
On Maple Street just south of Broad Street (Georgia Route 27), on the right when traveling south.
John Wellborn Root (1850-1891), world famous architect, was born on this site. The son of Mary Clark and Sidney Root, he was educated in Lumpkin, Atlanta, New York, and Claremont and Oxford in England. A pioneer in some phases of architecture, he . . . — — Map (db m46426) HM
On County Courthouse Square (Georgia Route 27) at Martin Luther King Drive on County Courthouse Square.
Lumpkin, named for Wilson Lumpkin, Governor, Congressman and Senator, first the County Seat of Randolph County, became the Seat of Government of Stewart County when that county was constituted from Randolph December 23, 1830. On a hill between two . . . — — Map (db m39421) HM
On Broad Street (Georgia Route 39 Connector Road) at Broad Street (Old U.S. 27), on the right when traveling east on Broad Street.
This school, established in 1852 by members of Cross Lodge No. 12 Masons for the purpose of educating girls, was a leading educational center for 30 years. Located on land purchased from Willard and Hollis Boynton, when completed it had an endowment . . . — — Map (db m46390) HM
On Georgia Route 27 at Parker Road (County Route 82), on the right when traveling east on State Route 27.
On a 10 acre plot of land in the exact center of the county was located, in 1830, the first permanent Methodist Camp Meeting Ground in Stewart County.
It was given by Loverd Bryan to be held and owned by the church as long as it was regularly used . . . — — Map (db m46334) HM
On Broad Street (Georgia Route 39 Connector Road) at Chestnut Street (Old U.S. 27), on the right when traveling east on Broad Street.
Trickles of water running down old Indian paths to springs formed the Providence Canyons, natural wonders of the Southeast.
These canyons, named for an old church that had to be moved out of their path, are often called “Little Grand . . . — — Map (db m46392) HM
On Canyon Road (State Highway 39), on the right when traveling east.
Providence Church, when first organized, 1832-33, was a log building on the south side of the road. Two acres were donated by David Lowe for a church and school (Providence Academy). This land is now between two of the canyons. The present building . . . — — Map (db m12146) HM
Near this place Rev. David Walker Lowe built a home for his wife Jane Dorsey not long after 1825. He had been a Methodist circuit rider in the S. C. conference, later in the Ga. conference. Born July 22, 1794 in Warren Co., Ga., he was organizer and . . . — — Map (db m15737) HM
On Martin Luther King Jr. Drive (County Route 145) at Broad Street (Georgia Route 27), on the right when traveling north on Martin Luther King Jr. Drive.
This building was erected in 1831 in NW Lumpkin to house the “Stewart County Academy,” the first academy in the county. In 1842, it became the “Lumpkin Independent Academy” for boys only, owned by local stockholders. In 1841, . . . — — Map (db m46660) HM
On Forsyth Street (entrance to Westville Village) 0.4 miles east of Westville Village Museum Store.
(Side One): On October 12, 1973 an informal group of fifty persons, having an interest in several areas of academic research, met at Westville's Yellow Creek campmeeting tabernacle for a three day symposium to discuss a subject of mutual . . . — — Map (db m21857) HM
On Omaha Road (Route 39) 1 mile north of Canyon Road (Route 39C), on the left when traveling south.
On this site was fought the battle of Shepherd's Plantation between Creek Indians and pioneer settlers aided by volunteer soldiers stationed at Forts Ingersol, Jones and McCreary under Major Henry W. Jernigan and Captain Hamilton Garmany. . . . — — Map (db m46361) HM
On Georgia Route 39 2 miles south of Georgia Route 39C, on the right when traveling south.
Fort Jones, a stockade fort built during the Creek uprising of 1836, stood on this site. After the burning of Roanoke, the frightened settlers sought refuge in its blockhouse, built of upright skinned logs with high windows for gun holes. The fort . . . — — Map (db m46284) HM
On Florence Road (Georgia Route 39) at 2nd Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Florence Road.
One mile north of here is the site of Fort McCreary built for the defense of Georgia’s frontier along the Chattahoochee River. During the Creek Indian War of 1836 it was garrisoned by the U. S. soldiers and Georgia Volunteers under command of Gen. . . . — — Map (db m46276) HM
On Georgia Route 39 at milepost 15, 0.9 miles east of Holtzclaw Road, on the left when traveling east.
Three miles west on the Chattahoochee River was Oconee Village, home of the Oconee Indians from 1715 to 1799. Their Chief Oueekachumfa or Long King signed the treaty with General Oglethorpe at Cowetah, August 21, 1739. In the 1750s, led by Chief . . . — — Map (db m117032) HM
On Georgia Route 39 3 miles south of Georgia Route 39C, on the right when traveling south. Reported missing.
Roanoke, ½ mile west of here on the east bank of the Chattahoochee River was originally an Indian village. Incorporated in 1832 with about 30 families, a post office and several stores, it became a thriving white settlement. Roanoke was . . . — — Map (db m46280) HM
On Cobb Street at Depot Street, on the right when traveling west on Cobb Street.
In 1832 Henry Audulf gave 8 acres of this land for two churches and a cemetery. A native of Germany, Audulf was the first settler here. Methodist and Baptist churches were built. A few years later both were destroyed by a tornado. Only the . . . — — Map (db m23426) HM
On Broad Street at Wall Street (Old U.S. 280), on the right when traveling west on Broad Street.
On this corner, in a long building, was Richland’s first post office and a shoe shop. John Audulph, son of Henry Audulph, first settler, was appointed postmaster of Chisholm, Apr. 16, 1839. Six months later, Nov. 26, 1839, Chisholm became Richland, . . . — — Map (db m46656) HM
On Carter Spur Road (County Route 84) 1.5 miles south of Holder Road, on the right when traveling south.
Clement Anselm Evans, Brig. Gen. C.S.A., soldier, lawyer, minister, statesman & author was born 3/4 miles W. of here in 1834. Admitted to the bar at 18, elected county judge at 21, state senator at 25, he became a Brig. Gen. and was severely wounded . . . — — Map (db m46332) HM
On Wall Street at Park Drive, on the right when traveling south on Wall Street.
First settled in 1827, Richland was named for the home district of several pioneer families from South Carolina. The community became a busy railroad junction when the Savannah. Americus and Montgomery, and the Columbus Southern rail lines met here . . . — — Map (db m10152) HM
On Old U.S. 280 0.1 miles north of Red Hill Road, on the left when traveling north.
The first Christian Church in Georgia was constituted at this site in 1837. Services were held early in the 1830's by Rev. George Lynch Smith, first under a brush arbor and later in the log schoolhouse. This building, then two-story, was erected in . . . — — Map (db m12802) HM
On Wall Street (Old U.S. 280) 0.1 miles north of Broad Street, on the left when traveling north.
Richland Baptist Church, constituted about 1830, was located on land given by Henry Audulph, first settler of Richland. A baptismal pool was built near a spring in the park. Here the Bethel Baptist Assn. was organized Nov. 23, 1833 by the Rev. . . . — — Map (db m46864) HM