On Austin Peay Memorial Highway (U.S. 79) at Fishing Pier Drive, on the left when traveling west on Austin Peay Memorial Highway.
This was a busy landing and crossing point on the Tennessee River; a waterway of strategic importance during the war. After the fall of Forts Henry and Donelson in February 1862, the Confederates’ hope of maintaining control of Paris Landing . . . — — Map (db m109035) HM
On Wood Street (Tennessee Route 54) 0.1 miles east of Crutchfield Lane, on the left when traveling west.
On this ridge on March 11, 1862, 450 Confederate troops under the command of Major H. Clay King, 1st Kentucky Battalion, Cavalry, and Stack's and McCutchan's unattached Tennessee Companies were attacked by Federal troops from Fort Henry. 20 . . . — — Map (db m52841) HM
On East Ruff Street just south of Church Street, on the right when traveling south.
David Jackson was a famous Rocky Mountain fur trader, explorer, businessperson, and namesake for Jackson Hole, Wyoming, in the Teton region. During the War of 1812, he served as an Ensign in Ohio. In January 1837 Jackson traveled to Paris, . . . — — Map (db m142326) HM
Near East Ruff Street east of North Brewer Street, on the right when traveling east.
Born in Hardeman County, E.W. Grove came to Paris, Tennessee, in 1874 as a pharmacist. He developed in 1878 Grove’s Tasteless Chill Tonic, which was sold worldwide through the Paris Medicine Company, as a malaria treatment and preventative. By 1891, . . . — — Map (db m108997) HM
Near Paris Landing Marina Drive, on the left when traveling east.
On October 28, 1864, General Nathan Bedford Forrest, C.S.A., began his famous Johnsonville Raid by placing masked batteries on the banks of the Tennessee River here at Paris Landing and about five miles north at abandoned Fort Heiman. With the use . . . — — Map (db m81946) HM
On Wood Street (U.S. 79) at North Poplar Street, on the right when traveling east on Wood Street.
Henry County Courthouse
This Courthouse was designed by Reuben Harrison Hunt of Chattanooga and built by Ed M. Wallen of New Decatur, Alabama, in 1896. It is the third courthouse on this site and is one of West Tennessee's . . . — — Map (db m81947) HM
On East Ruff Street east of North Brewer Street, on the right when traveling east.
Born near here Dec. 17,1828. Member, General Assembly of 1859, later served the Confederacy as Chief of Staff to Gen. B.P. Cheatham. Member, Constitutional Convention of 1870. Governor, 1875-79; president N.C. & St. L. RR, 1880-1884. Assistant . . . — — Map (db m108999) HM
On East Ruff Street south of Church Street, on the left when traveling south.
Born in Henry County, J.D.C. Atkins was a member, Tenn. General Assembly, 1849-53 and 1855-57; U.S. Congressman, 1857-59 and 1873-83; Lt. Col., 5th TN Infantry, CSA. 1861; Rep., Confederate Congress, 1861-65; co-founder, Paris Intelligencer, 1867; . . . — — Map (db m108998) HM
From 1837 to 1841, John W. Crockett, the son of David Crockett, represented the same congressional district as his father, after the legendary frontiersman died at the Alamo in 1836. He married Martha Hamilton in 1828 and practiced law in Paris. . . . — — Map (db m109045) HM
"Now they have come to the place where their faith can no longer feed on the bread of repression and violence. They ask for the bread of liberty of public responsibility. It must not be denied them.”
Dr. W. Mordecai Johnson,
Educator, . . . — — Map (db m109044)
On Willoughby Road 0.2 miles north of Austin Peay Memorial Highway (U.S. 79), on the left when traveling north.
Named in honor of Brig. Gen. Lawrence D. Tyson U.S. Senator and veteran of the Spanish-American and First World wars, Camp Tyson was the only barrage balloon training center in the U.S. Army during World War II. Construction began on this 6,115 acre . . . — — Map (db m32471) HM