Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Livingston County Michigan Historical Markers

 
Alice Jolly Marker image, Touch for more information
By Joel Seewald, August 27, 2017
Alice Jolly Marker
Michigan (Livingston County), Brighton — 11 — Alice Jolly — Brighton's Victorian Silhouettes
Alice and her husband, George, ran one of Brighton's hat shops for ladies in the late 1800s. Alice Jolly became the sole proprietor of the Jolly Millinery Shop in 1893 with the death of her husband at age 49. This was necessitated since she had . . . — Map (db m107724) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Brighton — 6 — Alvira Gilluly — Brighton's Victorian Silhouettes
Alvira and her husband, John, lived on Hamburg Road, south of Brighton with their two girls, Carrie and Lucy. John taught school in the Village of Brighton before being admitted to the University of Michigan Law School in the late 1850s. He . . . — Map (db m107677) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Brighton — 4 — B.T.O. Clark — Brighton's Historical Silhouettes
Benjamin Treadwell Onderdonk Clark was an infant when his family came to Brighton in 1837 just after the tiny town of Ore Creek was renamed. His father, Reverend William A. Clark held the first regular religious services in the community and . . . — Map (db m107649) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Brighton — 7 — Bessie the Holstein — Brighton's Victorian Silhouettes
Bessie is a milk cow. Holsteins started to appear in Livingston County in the 1880s. The county became a leader in selling these cows throughout the Midwest. These black and white dairy cows can produce about 2900 gallons of milk. In the late . . . — Map (db m107615) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Brighton — 1 — Brighton Hook and Ladder Co. — Brighton's Victorian Silhouettes
The Brighton Hook and Ladder Company Number 1 was formed in 1876 to protect the village against fires. The continued growth of the community and the expansion of the village to the west of Ore Creek created a real need for men and equipment to . . . — Map (db m107603) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Brighton — L2078 — Brighton Village Cemetery
Side 1 The Brighton Village Cemetery began as a burial ground for the family of William A. Clark, D.D., an Episcopal minister from New York City, who settled with his family in Brighton Township in 1837. Clark acquired many acres of land, . . . — Map (db m107616) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Brighton — 9 — Daniel Marsh — Brighton's Victorian Silhouettes
Daniel Marsh was elected as the first President of the new Village of Brighton. He arrived in Brighton in 1839 and was this small town's first attorney and the first prosecuting attorney in Livingston County. He married the widow Sara Maltby who . . . — Map (db m107694) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Brighton — 5 — Duke the Hereford — Brighton's Victorian Silhouettes
Duke was raised to provide beef. Herefords are brown and white and could be found in the 1870s. Sometimes cattle and cows were found in the Old Village Cemetery eating grass. These animals apparently left the safety of their pen in search of . . . — Map (db m107674) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Brighton — 2 — Henry Ford and John Tanner — Brighton's Victorian Silhouettes
John Tanner was known as one of Brighton's most unusual people. His 10 foot long beard was always tucked under his shirt only to be seen by his wife and the paying public. His delivery operation from the train depot ran from 1871-1910 with his . . . — Map (db m107558) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Brighton — 8 — John McKinney — Brighton's Victorian Silhouettes
John McKinney arrived in Brighton in the 1850s as an escaped slave who most likely survived the dangers of hidden travel with the families who operated the Underground Railroad. The Underground Railroad helped Southern slaves escape to the North and . . . — Map (db m108662) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Brighton — L1010 — Old Town Hall
Settled in 1832 by Maynard Maltby, this community was originally called Ore Creek for the stream that flows through it. In 1838 its name was changed to Brighton. It was incorporated as a village in 1867 and as a city in 1928. In 1878 the village . . . — Map (db m107605) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Brighton — 10 — Orson Quackenbush — Brighton's Victorian Silhouettes
Orson Quakenbush played a key role in establishing Brighton as a viable rural community with the downtown construction of his dam and grist mill on Ore Creek in 1838. The flowing water of Ore Creek would turn a water wheel that rotated a grindstone . . . — Map (db m108737) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Brighton — 3 — Pipp Children Fishing — Brighton's Victorian Silhouettes
Amelia and Benjamin Pipp lived near the Millpond. Their summer activities were swimming and fishing which was common for all kids. Placing worms on their hooks and awaiting the first hit of the "big" fish was their challenge. Their talents were . . . — Map (db m108706) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Brighton — 12 — Railroad Repair Gang — Brighton's Victorian Silhouettes
The iron horse arrived in Brighton in 1871. Brighton's future growth and success was off to a good start with this new transportation service running through town. The railroad depot was built about 600 feet beyond this artwork. The push-pull . . . — Map (db m108680) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Brighton — L2248 — St. Patrick Church / St. Patrick Calvary Cemetery
St. Patrick Church St. Patrick was the first church to serve Brighton area Catholics, many of whom were immigrants from Ireland. A simple log structure at the corner of McCabe and Silver Lake Roads built in 1838 was used by the congregation . . . — Map (db m107557) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Brighton — L1011 — St. Paul's
When the Reverend William A. Clark, D. D., purchased his land in Brighton Township, he set aside an acre as a church site and established a cemetery near it. In 1837 he organized an Episcopal group and conducted its first services in his orchard. . . . — Map (db m107623) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Green Oak Township — S406 — Kinsley S. Bingham
Twenty-five year old Kinsley Bingham left his New York home in 1833 saying: "Give me $500 and let me go to Michigan and I'll be governor in two years." He settled here, constructing this handsome Greek Revival house in 1842. Bingham's boast was not . . . — Map (db m107539) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Green Oak Township — 134 — Spanish-American War Regiments
This was once the summer camp of Michigan's National Guard. Here in 1898 the five regiments which were recruited in the state during the war with Spain were organized. Ten men volunteered for every one who could be accepted. Two of the units, the . . . — Map (db m107555) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Hamburg — L0078 — St. Stephen's
St. Stephen's This building is one of the oldest Episcopal churches in Michigan. St. Stephen's parish was organized in 1844, and construction of the church began almost immediately. Hiram Raymond of Hamburg was the contractor, and building funds . . . — Map (db m67453) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Hamburg Township — S0583 — Hamburg / Edwin B. Winans
Side A: Hamburg The year 1831 marked the arrival of Hamburg's first settlers -- Felix Dunlavy, Jesse Hall, Calvin Jackson, Cornelius Miller and Herman Lake -- and their families. In 1835, Ann Arbor merchant E.F. Gray and Amariah . . . — Map (db m50165) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Howell — L94 — Ann Arbor Railroad
Howell raised $20,000 in 1885 to induce the Toledo, Ann Arbor & Northern Michigan to enter town. Many believed the town, already served by one railroad, would boom with a second line. Early in 1886 a right-of-way dispute erupted in an armed brawl . . . — Map (db m107759) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Howell — L391 — County Courthouse
Albert E. French designed this two-and-a-half story brick and stone building. This edifice, completed in 1890, shows influence of Richardsonian architecture and has maintained many of its original Victorian furnishings. Peter and Maria Cowdry . . . — Map (db m107800) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Howell — L2178 — George W. Lee House
This c. 1846 Greek Revival house, among Howell's oldest, was home to prominent citizen George W. Lee (1812-1882). Lee moved from New York State to Michigan in 1836. A businessman and public servant, Lee helped establish the Republican Party in 1854 . . . — Map (db m107753) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Howell — L2013 — Howell Carnegie Library
Side 1 The Howell library association originated as the Ladies Library Association in 1875. That year, the ladies began offering books for lending. The need for spacious, permanent quarters grew, and in 1902, for three hundred dollars and . . . — Map (db m107873) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Howell — L1896 — Livingston County Press
Side 1 The Livingston County Press, one of Michigan's oldest weekly newspapers, traces its roots to The Livingston Courier, The Livingston Republican and The Livingston Democrat. The Courier, established in . . . — Map (db m107830) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Howell — L184 — Opera House
Built c. 1881 — Map (db m107799) HM
Michigan (Livingston County), Oceola Township — L538 — St. John The Baptist Catholic Church
Irish immigrants founded a Catholic mission in Livingston County in 1843. The following year, two acres of land were purchased here and a log structure was erected for worship services. As the congregation grew it required a larger facility, and a . . . — Map (db m107751) HM

27 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.