Pond Town, named for its proximity to several ponds, had beginnings as a relay station for the stagecoach line which ran from Hamburg to Preston. Some say white men were living in the area as early as 1808, certainly by 1812.
Located on the . . . — — Map (db m27112) HM
This county, created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 22, 1857, is named for William Schley, member of Congress 1833-35 and Governor 1835-37. Ellaville is named for Ella Burton, daughter of Robert Burton, who sold the land for the town site. Nearby . . . — — Map (db m27089) HM