Located on the site of the original Benton homestead, this cemetery was founded July 12, 1842, with the burial of early Shelby County settler Jesse Benton (1796-1842). All who rest herein are members of the Benton family by birth, marriage, or close . . . — — Map (db m37224) HM
Harless Cemetery was established as a burying ground in the early 1800s. It is on land homesteaded by Henry Harless, Jr., that was later owned and subsequently deeded to the cemetery by members of the Wyatt family. The oldest surviving marker is for . . . — — Map (db m24914) HM
Established October 15, 1868, with the burial of Elizabeth “Betsy” Nabors. Her loving husband, John, followed her in death only fifteen days later. They are buried side by side. Many local pioneer families chose to share this hallowed . . . — — Map (db m37046) HM
Alabaster was named for its quality of lime rock and the lime industry. In 1925, Joseph E. Walker opened the first retail business. The Alabaster lime rock plant was established in 1929 by George L. Scott Sr. The railroad . . . — — Map (db m59721) HM
James Hardy and his twin brother, Julian, were born and reared in Newala, Alabama, 3 miles east of Montevallo. He attended the consolidated grammar school nearby which had 3 rooms for the 6 grades, then attended high school in . . . — — Map (db m76244) HM
Creek Indians once owned and hunted the land where the City of Chelsea now stands. In 1813, Andrew Jackson and his army won millions of acres of Creek land from the Indians at the Battle of Horseshoe Bend, including the area where . . . — — Map (db m38488) HM
Established June 2, 1849 by
Veteran of War of 1812
In Consideration of His Love for the Church, He Conveyed the Burying Ground to the Trustees of Liberty Church And Their Successors.
Listed on the Alabama Historic . . . — — Map (db m28519) HM
Columbiana, originally called Columbia, was selected as the county seat of Shelby County in 1826 over rivals Calera and Montevallo. After the selection as the county seat, Columbiana celebrated by drilling holes in a large pine . . . — — Map (db m76251) HM
Original seat of government of Shelby County established 1818 at Shelbyville (Pelham).
Moved to Columbiana 1826. First courthouse a small wooden building located on this site. Replaced 1854 by two-story brick structure which forms central portion . . . — — Map (db m24203) HM
Dedicated to the memory of the
brave men from Shelby County who
gave their lives that freedom and justice
should not perish from the earth
World War I 1917-1918
John C. Bailey • Girome Blankenship • Luther P. Crim • Jake Evans • James . . . — — Map (db m76255) WM
Major source of pig iron for the Confederacy. Furnished iron to Selma arsenal for heavy cannon, naval armor plate.
Furnaces destroyed in 1865 by Wilson’s Cavalry raiders U.S.A.
Rebuilt 1873, closed 1923. — — Map (db m28523) HM
The oldest known grave is that of Oprah Moore (1772-1823), consort to Rev. (Doctor) Lemuel Moore. This is the final resting place of American Revolutionary War Patriot William Jennings (1761-1840) and the professed burial site of the Last Creek . . . — — Map (db m59652) HM
Harpersville is one of Shelby County’s oldest communities. Its existence precedes that of Shelby County and the State of Alabama. Big Springs, as Harpersville was originally called, was settled around 1815 by the Harper and Kidd families. Prime . . . — — Map (db m61886) HM
During the final years of the Civil War, Montgomery merchants, Hannon, Offutt & Company, built a rolling mill here along the banks of Buck Creek. Called the Central Iron Works, the plant’s construction was superintended by Thomas . . . — — Map (db m76241) HM
This site began as the burying ground for Harmony Presbyterian Church, the first church built in the area that would become Helena. The earliest marked grave is Jones Griffin (died 1836), one of Andrew Jackson's Tennessee volunteers who was credited . . . — — Map (db m76237) HM
The South and North Alabama Railroad Company constructed the Helena Freight House & Depot about 1872 while repairing damage inflicted by Union raiders in 1865. The original location of the structure was just north of the present railroad . . . — — Map (db m76262) HM
At a crossroads, one mile south of Helena, a post office called Cove was established in 1849 and renamed Hillsboro in 1857. During the Civil War the South & North Railroad (the Louisville & Nashville Railroad) was constructed to . . . — — Map (db m76243) HM
Established as Meredith Cemetery, the first recorded burial here was Sarah Hoge Meredith, who died August 25, 1836.
The Griffin family donated land for this burial ground and it has been in continuous use since founded. An annual memorial service . . . — — Map (db m37219) HM
This tablet placed by the descendants of Edmund King, Jr. and the Alabama Writers Conclave. To commemorate his life and services. First brick house and first with glass windows built in this section of the state. Formerly known as the Mansion House. . . . — — Map (db m37353) HM
Known as the Alabama College Laboratory School, Montevallo High School was housed in Reynolds’ Hall on the University of Montevallo campus from 1922 until January 1930 when the central portion of this building was completed. The original structure . . . — — Map (db m37428) HM
The Colonial Courthouse
This building is inspired by the Courthouse at Williamsburg, Virginia, built in 1770. The County Court heard petty crimes and civil cases such as debtors’ disputes with creditors from abusive . . . — — Map (db m101501) HM
The Liberty Bell was commissioned November 1, 1751, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of William Penn’s Charter of Privileges for his Pennsylvania colony. The radical charter granted religious liberty to persecuted faiths, . . . — — Map (db m101506) HM
American colonists cherished Liberty as their birthright. On July 4, 1776, the Continental Congress adopted the Declaration of Independence, declaring, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed . . . — — Map (db m101503) HM
The Lucille Ryals Thompson Colonial Chapel
Inspired by Bruton Parish Church of Williamsburg, Virginia, it was named to honor Lucille Ryals Thompson. The Chapel was built in thanksgiving for God’s blessings on America, and . . . — — Map (db m101505) HM
The President's Oval Office
In this building is a full-scale replica of the White House Oval Office.
When John and Abigail Adams first moved into The White House in 1800, it contained three oval rooms, inspired by . . . — — Map (db m101531) HM
Originally named Alabama Girls' Industrial School and later Alabama College, this institution was founded Oct. 12, 1896, by the Alabama Legislature. It was the state college for women until 1956, when it became coeducational. In 1969 the name was . . . — — Map (db m37289) HM
The exterior of the hall is inspired by George Washington's beloved Mount Vernon. It has beveled-edge block walls. When mixed with paint and sand it gives the appearance of stone masonry, a process called . . . — — Map (db m101504) HM
Home of the University of Montevallo, American Village and the Alabama Veterans Cemetery, Montevallo is located in the geographical center of Alabama at 33° 6’ 18” N 86° 51’ 46” W. In 1814, Jesse Wilson laid claim to “Wilson’s . . . — — Map (db m37178) HM
Pelham, located in Shelby County, Alabama, acquired its name in approximately 1867. It was named for “Gallant Pelham” who fought in the Confederate Army and was killed in action at Kelly’s Ford, . . . — — Map (db m76260) HM
Near this site stood Shelbyville, A. T., first county seat of Shelby County; named for Isaac Shelby, governor of Tennessee. Shelby County was established February 7, 1818 by an act of the Alabama Territorial legislature. The first orphans’ court was . . . — — Map (db m28441) HM
Constructed around 1890 to transport large deposits of minerals in the region. Iron ore, marble, limestone, and coal, the L&N Railroad also ran passenger trains daily. The L&N depot was built in 1909 directly behind where you are standing. It was . . . — — Map (db m79403) HM
The Confederate Army established a soldier's home and hospital here (1863-1865) as a part of the CSA Camp Winn Training Site. Father Leray and the Sisters of Mercy staffed the hospital after fleeing Civil War destruction in Vicksburg, MS. They . . . — — Map (db m24212) HM
This cemetery was established around 1841. The oldest marked grave is for Polly Webster (1822-May 3, 1841), daughter of Beulah Land founder Henley Webster, born February 5, 1805 in Anderson County, SC and died February 20, 1884. This hallowed ground . . . — — Map (db m59464) HM
Founder of Buffalo Rock Company (1901) in Birmingham and creator of Buffalo Rock Ginger Ale, a medicinal tonic first used in the Civil War. Lee's vision and influential support inspired the construction of this road across Double Oak Mountain . . . — — Map (db m52693) HM
The Town of Vincent is located on land that was granted to the Kidd family by the Governor of Alabama in the 1800's. In 1859, the land was willed to three Kidd daughters, one daughter's name was Anna Bella Vincent after whom the town was named. The . . . — — Map (db m61623) HM
This cemetery was established August 20, 1857, by George G. and Purnelea Crawford. In an earnest desire to promote God’s Kingdom on Earth, they conveyed this site to the Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church South and their successors. . . . — — Map (db m59653) HM
Located in Shelby County, the Town of Westover was established in 1901. Originally called Weldon or Cobb, Westover received its name from the AB&A Railroad. Westover was a passenger and mail stop. The Old Rock School served the children of the area . . . — — Map (db m62545) HM
Near this site are the remains of three forts built in 1863 by Confederate troops under the command of Major W.T. Walthall, commander of the military post at Talladega. The forts, built for protection of the Alabama-Tennessee River Railroad trestles . . . — — Map (db m61621) HM
Wilsonville, nestled near Lay Lake in Shelby County, was named for Adam Wilson. The town was incorporated in 1897. Wilsonville was of great importance in the late 1800s because of the Southern Railway and it was also a major stop on the old stage . . . — — Map (db m61622) HM
This cemetery has been an important resting place for loved ones since the early 1800s.
A Dutchman named Avehard is believed to be the first person buried here. The earliest marked grave dates to 1854. Sharecroppers, former slaves, educators, . . . — — Map (db m37225) HM
Wilton, a once prominent railroad town now sits nestled quietly in the southwest corner of Shelby County. Founding members were as follows: L. McMillen, L.W. Irwin, O. H. Bice, John Westley Little, Sam Vest, L. Cochran, and O. L. . . . — — Map (db m76246) HM