Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Bradenton, Florida Historical Markers

 
9th Avenue West Bridge Marker looking west image, Touch for more information
By Tim Fillmon, December 24, 2016
9th Avenue West Bridge Marker looking west
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — F-751 — 9th Avenue West Bridge
At this location over Wares Creek once stood one of the oldest concrete arch deck bridges in the State of Florida. Designed by noted local civil engineer Freeman H. Horton, the former 9th Avenue West bridge was constructed during World War II by the . . . — Map (db m100899) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — F-786 — Adams and Rogers Cemeteries
Adams Cemetery, once known as the Fogartyville Colored Cemetery, began in 1896 when William H. and Eliza Atzeroth Forgarty donated four acres of land to the community for use as a public cemetery. The cemetery’s earliest marker is the final resting . . . — Map (db m100900) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Bealls Centennial
(side 1) In April of 1915, twenty-two year old Robert M. Beall opened a simple dry goods store on this block of Old Main Street. Pricing nothing over a dollar, he named it the Dollar Limit. Beall invested his money in merchandise so when . . . — Map (db m100947) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Braden Castle
Dr. Joseph Addison Braden, graduate physician, native of Virginia, came from Tallahassee to Manatee River in 1843 and acquired about 1100 acres of land; built a sugar mill about 2½ miles south of Manatee. With materials at hand he constructed, . . . — Map (db m131224) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — F-193 — Braden Castle Ruins
Dr. Joseph Addison Braden, physician and native Virginian, came from Tallahassee to the Manatee River in the early 1840's. By 1850 he had acquired approximately 900 acres of land and built a steam operated sugar and grist mill. In that year using . . . — Map (db m131281) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — F-500 — Bradenton Depot
The Atlantic Coastline Railroad Company Passenger and Freight Depot Bradentown Florida, built c. 1925, became the Bradenton Depot when Bradentown dropped the w from its name. The historical significance on local and state levels was tremendous as . . . — Map (db m72428) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Bradenton General Hospital
On this site from January 1, 1921-May 31, 1957 stood the Bradenton General Hospital owned and operated by Dr. C.W. Larrabee and wife, Dovie Collins Larrabee for the use of all doctors and benefit and care of all people in this area. — Map (db m110641) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Camp Weatherford
(side 1) With baseball suspended for the duration of WWII, present-day McKechnie Field was closed between 1941-48 and taken over by the U.S. Army and named Camp Bradenton. Under command of Maj. Joseph H. Dunlap, it was designated a Signal . . . — Map (db m102469) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Courthouse Square
(side 1) In 1892, John Crews Pelot deeded this 200 x 400 square foot parcel of land to Manatee County for the sum of $200.00. The land was cleared at a cost of $62.50, and a new courthouse, the first in "Braidentown" and the county's third . . . — Map (db m100948) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — De Soto PointDe Soto National Memorial
Picture the past as you stand here. Indians once gathered oysters and clams along this shore and fished the river. On your left are remnants of a mound composed of shells they discarded after countless meals. Long after the Indians were gone road . . . — Map (db m125368) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — De Soto Trail MonumentDe Soto National Memorial
The De Soto Trail Monument was placed here by the National Society of Colonial Dames of America. The granite monument was dedicated on May 30, 1939, during the 400th anniversary of the landfall of the Hernando de Soto expedition. In 1948 this . . . — Map (db m125323) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — DeSoto TrailDe Soto National Memorial
Near here Hernando DeSoto with his men landed May 30, 1539 and began his march westward to the Mississippi River. This marker commemorates the 400th anniversary of his arrival on the shores of Florida. — Map (db m125358) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Edmund Lee Family Graveyard and the Lonesome Grave/William R. Whitaker House
(side 1) Edmund Lee Family Graveyard and the Lonesome Grave According to local history, members of the Lee family are buried here. Rev. Edmund Lee, a Presbyterian Minister, his wife Electa, and their daughter Sarah, came to the . . . — Map (db m112518) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — F-137 — First Manatee Courthouse / Manatee Methodist Church/ Established 1849
Marker Front: Manatee County was created by legislative action signed January 9, 1855, from Hillsborough, St. Lucie, and Monroe Counties. Five years later, in 1860, Josiah Gates and Mary, his wife, deeded to Manatee County a parcel of land . . . — Map (db m72425) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — First Presbyterian Church of Bradenton
(side 1) The First Presbyterian Church of Bradenton is the oldest congregation in the bounds of the original Village of Bradenton and the oldest south of Tampa. In 1885, land was deeded to five trustees for the planned Braidentown . . . — Map (db m81754) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — F-281 — First Settler's Homesite
Marker Front: Located a few yards from this spot near the banks of the Manatee River is the site of the log home of Josiah Gates. Gates was the first Anglo-American settler in the entire Manatee area which at that time extended southward . . . — Map (db m72426) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Florida Highway Patrol SchoolBradenton, Florida 1939
(side 1) In 1939, the Legislature created the Department of Public Safety and Florida Highway Patrol. Governor Fred P. Cone appointed W.F. Reid director in September. On October 1, Major H. Neil Kirkman was appointed Commandant of the . . . — Map (db m100925) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Florida Naval Stores
Side 1: The Naval stores industry, as the name implies, was once the backbone of every nations navy. The wood, tar, caulk, and other materials derived from the pine tree were needed to build, repair and waterproof wooden ships. America . . . — Map (db m131054) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Florida's Earliest Courthouse Building
Manatee County's first Courthouse was built in 1859-1860, and is the oldest remaining building constructed as a county courthouse in the State of Florida. It was built on the original Courthouse Square at 15th Street East and Fourth Avenue, two . . . — Map (db m43101) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Former Town of Fogartyville/Former Town of Wilhelmsenburg
(side 1) Former Town of Fogartyville This marker stands on the eastern boundary of Fogartyville, a town founded on land acquired under the Homestead Act after the War Between the States by Fogarty bros., Capt. Bartholomew (Tole), . . . — Map (db m100901) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — 1a — Hernando de SotoFlorida De Soto Trail — Off to Seek His Fortune
In Panama with Pedrarias Hernando de Soto, second son of a country hidalgo, or minor noble, was born around 1500 in the Extremadura region of Spain. At age 13, he left home to seek his fortune in the New World. After proving he had . . . — Map (db m126567) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Holy Eucharist Monument and Memorial CrossDe Soto National Memorial
The Hernando de Soto Catholic Memorial, also known as the Holy Eucharist Monument, and the Memorial Cross, just across the bridge from here, are owned by the Catholic Diocese of Venice, Florida. The base stone of this monument was quarried and cut . . . — Map (db m125790) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — 1b — La Florida's Early PeoplesFlorida De Soto Trail
Born of Nomads The early peoples of the Americas were descended from nomadic tribes that arrived during the last Ice Age—more than 12,000 years ago. Florida’s climate resembled that of savannah Africa. Early hunters tracked mastodons, . . . — Map (db m126568) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Life on the Florida Frontier: The Stephens FamilyManatee Village Historical Park
For much of Florida’s history, the home was essential to all family activities and to survival. This included the care of children, preparation of meals, protection from the elements, and entertainment. Families gathered in kitchens and parlors . . . — Map (db m131754) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Lincoln High School
The Manatee County Board of Public Instruction purchased property from Mr. Alden J. Adams on July 25, 1914, and from Mr. and Mrs. J. K. Singletary on May 17, 1922, “for the purposes of a school for Negro children.” The old Manatee . . . — Map (db m72415) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Long Pier
Originally constructed in 1929, it reaches out into the Manatee River more than 600 feet to the navigable channel. Destroyed by weather events, and then rebuilt in 1990, 1993 & 2002. It was refurbished in 2017 by many . . . — Map (db m131205) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Long Pier Veterans Memorial
“The Long Pier" Dedicated To Our Veterans Past, Present & Future Who Protect Our Freedom — Map (db m131206) WM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — F-132 — Major Adams Cemetery
This plot was donated by Major Alden Joseph Adams to the village of Manatee in 1892 "to be used as a burying ground forever." It was first called New Cemetery. Members of pioneer families, including Major Adams, are interred here. The property is . . . — Map (db m72423) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Manatee Academy
side 1 The first advanced school erected in Manatee County was built about 200 feet east of this site on land deeded 15 August 1876 expressly for education and cultural purposes by Edmund Lee and his third wife, Elizabeth, to Trustees of . . . — Map (db m72937) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — F-133 — Manatee Burying Ground
Marker Front: This is one of the oldest organized burying grounds on the Gulf Coast of Florida. The property was deeded on May 30, 1850, and since 1892 only immediate members of families already interred here can be buried in the cemetery. . . . — Map (db m72424) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — F-126 — Manatee Mineral Spring
Here flowed a spring which had been used by Indians and was found by Manatee's first white settler, Josiah Gates, who settled nearby in January 1842. It served Branch Fort, when the early settlers camped nearby for protection from the Seminole raid . . . — Map (db m72422) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Old Cabbage HeadManatee Village Historical Park
For generations, Old Cabbage Head symbolized the Old Manatee and Bradenton communities. Children, who climbed aboard in play, later watched their own children pretend there. In 2006, the Bradenton Kiwanis Club relocated . . . — Map (db m131004) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — F-294 — Palma Sola
Marker Front: In 1868, firearms manufacturer James Warner moved his family from Springfield, Massachusetts, to Manatee County, where he hoped to regain his health. He built a home on the shore of the Manatee River about half a mile east . . . — Map (db m72427) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Palma Sola Community Church
(Side 1) This historic non-denominational church, first known as "The Church in the Wildwood" because of location, was established and constructed in 1886 when Asa Pillsbury, Sr. donated land for a church, cemetery and school to trustees . . . — Map (db m102973) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Shaw's Point Archeological DistrictDe Soto National Memorial — Riverview Pointe
Riverview Pointe and De Soto National Memorial are part of the Shaw's Point Archeological District. This thirty-five-acre archeological district is on the National Register of Historic Places and preserves a large prehistoric coastal village site . . . — Map (db m125370) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — Tabby House RuinsDe Soto National Memorial
Although the origin of the tabby ruins is not known for certain, William H. Shaw is credited with its construction soon after settling here in 1843. The Shaw family lived and worked here until a Seminole Indian uprising in 1856 drove them to Key . . . — Map (db m125369) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — The 1887 Church
Construction of this historic church was started in 1887. Completion was delayed until 1889 due to a yellow fever epidemic which claimed the lives of the pastor and many members of the congregation. Used to house the first Christian congregation . . . — Map (db m43102) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — The Bunker Hill School
Throughout America, the one-room schoolhouse was a fixture and the educational mainstay for many years. This one-room schoolhouse was built in 1908 to serve the community of Bunker Hill, which is located in the northeast corner of Manatee . . . — Map (db m43108) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — The Carnegie Library
(Side 1) This Carnegie Library was built in 1918 with funds from the Carnegie Corporation. It is one of the 1,946 Carnegie Libraries built in the United States under the direction of Andrew Carnegie, a Scottish immigrant who rose from . . . — Map (db m81714) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — The Edmund Lee Family Pioneer Cemetery
The Edmund Lee Family Pioneer Cemetery purchased land from Josiah Gates in 1846 here lies: Mary Guerrero, adopted infant daughter of Miguel and Frederica Guerrero 1868 Rev. James McCarter 1813-1857 Electa Arcotte Lee, first wife 1808-1870 . . . — Map (db m129567) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — The Florida Cracker Trail
This point is the western terminus of the Florida Cracker Trail designated by the Florida State Legislature in 1987. The Cracker Trail follows an east/west route across the State of Florida that has existed since approximately 1850. This trail was . . . — Map (db m43076) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — The Fogarty Boat Works
In 1866, three brothers, John, Bartholomew, and Bill Fogarty, settled in Manatee County and established a ship building and coastal trading schooner base on the shore of the Manatee River. In the years before automobiles and railroads, Manatee . . . — Map (db m43104) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — The Potter Barn
This barn is typical of those built by Florida farmers in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Its design was determined by Florida’s climate which allowed farm animals to stay outside year round. The interior of the barn was used to store seeds, . . . — Map (db m131302) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — The Smokehouse, Syrup Kettle and Sugar Cane Mill
A smokehouse was a necessary part of every rural pioneer home in early American history due to the lack of refrigeration for fresh meat storage. As part of the preservation process, cuts of meat, primarily pork and sausage, were hung on racks in the . . . — Map (db m131207) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — The Stephens House
A prime example of the “Cracker Gothic” style, this home was built in 1912 by the Will Stephens family. It is an excellent representation of a Florida rural frame house during the period between the 1870's and World War I. This third . . . — Map (db m43106) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — The Town of Manatee
Side A The Town of Manatee was officially chartered on June 19, 1903. This intersection of Central Street (present day 9th Street East) and Manatee Avenue became the heart of the town’s business district after the arrival of the Florida West . . . — Map (db m32409) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — The Wiggins Store
Restored on the original building site, the Wiggins Store was built by King Wiggins in 1903. The fact that it was one of the areas first brick buildings is significant because, prior to the arrival of the railroad, brick could only be brought in by . . . — Map (db m43107) HM
Florida (Manatee County), Bradenton — William Bassett Chapter
The Manatee Village Historical Park was created as a gift to the people of Manatee County by the Historical Commission and the HOME Committee in remembrance of our Nation's Two Hundredth Birthday in the year 1976. Two historical buildings, Manatee . . . — Map (db m43100) HM
Florida (Polk County), Bradenton — The Manatee River
named for the marine mammal Trichechus Latirostris, was the main avenue of transportation and communication since the first permanent settlement. All commerce, goods for the early stores, the U.S. Mail, passengers and settlers came into the county . . . — Map (db m131463) HM

49 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.