10 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Bryan
By Cosmos Mariner, May 26, 2014
Brazos County Marker (wide view)
Brazos County, part of Stephen F. Austin’s colony, was created from Washington County in 1841. It was first named Navasota County, with Boonville as the county seat. In 1842 the name was changed to Brazos County. Through the Civil War, Millican, . . . — — Map (db m119591) HM|
Furnished horses, equipment and clothing for county men in the Civil War.
Levied war taxes on property, exempting lands or estates of Confederate soldiers.
After surveying to determine needs of the families of Brazos soldiers, appropriated . . . — — Map (db m119642) HM|
|Center of cultural and civic activities in Bryan since 1903. Established through inspiration of the mutual improvement club (renamed the Woman's Club, 1909), under the leadership of Mmes. Lucy Miley Brandon and Rose Fountain Howell who with modest . . . — — Map (db m119639) HM|
Came to Texas from Tennessee in 1839, and joined "minute men" protecting north frontier from Trinity to Brazos River. Moved to Brazos County; served 1842-1853 in County offices: Deputy Clerk, County Clerk, Surveyor, Chief Justice. Taught school, . . . — — Map (db m119644) HM|
Occupying a prominent corner in the southern end of Bryan's central business district, the La Salle hotel is an architectural landmark representative of the city's early 20th-century commercial development. At that time, Bryan was a major . . . — — Map (db m119640) HM|
A movie theater has been at this location since 1913 and named “The Queen” since 1914. It was originally located in the three-story Stoddard Hotel built here in 1889. The Schulman family purchased the theater business in 1926 and the . . . — — Map (db m119641) HM|
|Great thoroughfare of pioneer Texas, stretching 1,000 miles from Saltillo, Mexico, to present Louisiana. The general route followed ancient Indian and buffalo trails, but the oldest marked portion, known as "Trail of the Padres", was blazed in 1691 . . . — — Map (db m68683) HM|
|This parish traces its origin to Episcopal services held in nearby Millican in 1864. A yellow fever epidemic in the Millican area prompted the relocation of the Saint Andrew's Mission to Bryan in 1867. A parish was formed that year and led by The . . . — — Map (db m129293) HM|
|Bryan was platted on land granted to the Houston & Texas Central Railroad in 1859. In 1900, a second railroad, the Calvert, Waco & Brazos Valley (CW & BV) was built through Bryan by George Gould. The CW & BV built a depot here in 1900; besides train . . . — — Map (db m119629) HM|
Native of Missouri. Member of prominent family who were Texas statesmen, planters, developers. Grandson of Moses Austin, who obtained from Mexico charter for American Colony in Texas, but died before making settlement. Nephew of Stephen F. . . . — — Map (db m119643) HM|