Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Occoquan, Virginia Historical Markers

 
The Beehive Brick Kiln image, Touch for more information
By Kevin White, September 6, 2007
The Beehive Brick Kiln
Virginia (Fairfax County), Occoquan — The Beehive Brick Kiln
From the turn of the century until the late 1960’s nine kilns on this site were operated by inmates of the Lorton correctional facility. The bricks stacked inside this kiln are ready to be baked. For 4 to 5 days coal fires in each of the . . . — Map (db m2346) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Occoquan — Women Suffrage Prisoners at Occoquan WorkhouseOccoquan Regional Park
Adjacent to this park a group of women was imprisoned in 1917 for demanding the right to vote. The road to Occoquan Workhouse had started in 1848. In July 1848 at the Seneca Falls Convention in New York, officially opening the American women’s . . . — Map (db m2343) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — 1804 Boundary Stone
A prominent stone located near this spot was the beginning point of the 1804 survey of Occoquan’s boundaries. A survey line running from the stone enclosed the 31-acre tract subdivided into streets and lots on the town plat. Today the stone is . . . — Map (db m2458) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — 1804 Occoquan Town Plat
In 1804, after Virginia’s General Assembly granted a charter, Occoquan was platted on 31 acres of founder Nathaniel Ellicott’s and others’ land. The Plat laid off streets and lots. Structures shown included the public wharf, Ellicott’s Mill and . . . — Map (db m2365) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — Commerce Street
Commerce Street was a residential and commercial area from the early 19th through mid-20th centuries. Houses, many of which survive, faced the street on lots surveyed on the 1804 town plat. Businesses included the Hammill Hotel and a General Store. . . . — Map (db m86043) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — Ebenezer Baptist Church
Ex-slave Lewis H. Bailey organized Ebenezer Baptist Church in 1883. It is one of the oldest African-American Baptist congregations in Easter Prince William County. The original church, built on this site in 1883–1884, was one of Occoquan’s . . . — Map (db m2455) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — Ellicott’s Mill
John Ballendine established this gristmill at the Occoquan Falls ca. 1755. By 1800 it was owned by Nathaniel Ellicott and housed machinery to unload grain from wagons or barges, grind it, and return it to its carrier. The building, the region’s . . . — Map (db m2385) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — Historic Occoquan - Center for the Processing of Grain
Originally known for its public tobacco warehouses and iron foundry, in the second half of the 18th century Occoquan also became a center for the processing of grain, particularly wheat farmed in the surrounding backcountry. John Ballendine built . . . — Map (db m2357) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — Lest We Forget
Flagpole Donated by Mr. Thomas E. Tokash & Mrs. Diane M. Tokash Dedicated to The AMERICAN Fighting Men & Women "LEST WE FORGET" — Map (db m2460) WM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — Methodist Church
This brick, lancet-windowed church, built ca. 1925 is Occoquan’s second Methodist church. The first wood-frame church, located on Commerce St. behind the present structure, burned in the 1916 town fire. Besides its original tenants, other church . . . — Map (db m2383) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — Mill Street
Mill Street has been Occoquan's commercial center since the early 1800s. The Alton Hotel, Taverns, a bank, a pharmacy, grocery and hardware stores, and other businesses served local residents and travelers on the main east coast north south highway. . . . — Map (db m2382) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — OccoquanBridge Between North and South — Gettysburg Campaign
After Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee’s stunning victory at Chancellorsville in May 1863, he led the Army of Northern Virginia west to the Shenandoah Valley, then north through central Maryland and across the Mason-Dixon Line into Pennsylvania. Union . . . — Map (db m7937) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — Occoquan River Bridges
Occoquan founder Nathaniel Ellicott built the first bridge here c. 1800. The “Great Mail Route” from Washington to the south crossed here. In 1878 an iron Pratt Truss Bridge was erected. This bridge was on the main east coast north-south . . . — Map (db m2392) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — Occoquan Wharves
Occoquan’s Public Wharf was here. This wharf and others at the Occoquan River’s highest navigable point were key to the 19th- and early 20th-century town’s porsperity. Ships were built, barges carried grain to Ellicott's Mill, and flour, logs, fish . . . — Map (db m2367) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — Odd Fellows Hall
Odd Fellows Crescent Lodge No. 3 erected this frame meeting hall in 1889. Volunteer Lodge members and a paid carpenter built it. The first floor was a public meeting room and theater. The Masons, American Legion, church congregations and other . . . — Map (db m2416) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — Ogle Harris’ Store
This c. 1900 house was Ogle Harris’ Store. Harris, son of a slave, first sold homemade ice cream from the house’s since-razed summer kitchen. In c. 1910 he moved his family from the building, which was then his residence, and began selling . . . — Map (db m5617) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — Old Hammill Hotel
The three-story hotel, named for operator Edward Hammill, may be Occoquan’s first brick building. Tradition says it was built in 1804, but it likely dates from c. 1830. It was the Town’s premier inn. Confederate Col. Wade Hampton made it his . . . — Map (db m2421) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — Rockledge
John Ballendine built this finely proportioned Georgian House, “Rockledge,” in c. 1760. William Buckland, a premier colonial Chesapeake architect, reportedly designed it. “Rockledge” is a rare example of a Tidewater Virginia . . . — Map (db m2384) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — The Dogue Indians
The Dogues, an Algonquian tribe, occupied the Occoquan River Watershed in the early 1600s. In their dialect, Occoquan means “at the end of the water.” They lived in villages, hunted and fished, and raised corn, beans, squash, and . . . — Map (db m2390) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — 31 — Town of Occoquan
In 1758 when John Ballendine built his dwelling, “Rockledge,” at Occoquan, the town began to prosper. By 1765 it was a flourishing industrial settlement with grist mills, foundry, and tobacco warehouses. “Rockledge” and a . . . — Map (db m114) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Occoquan — 30 — Town of Occoquan
Nathaniel Ellicott formally established the town in 1804, bringing to fruition industrial and commercial developments begun 'at or near the Falls of Occoquan' by John Ballendine c. 1750. The estuary of The Occoquan has attracted the attention of . . . — Map (db m122460) HM

21 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement