In 1909, twenty-two year old Alice Ramsey became the first woman to drive across United States in an automobile. She and her three female companions are depicted here, in her 1909 Maxwell Briscoe, crossing the Nevada desert east of the Truckee . . . — — Map (db m77623) HM
Marker No.T.R.R. 13-A -- Truckee Meadows
the California bound emigrants rested here
before ascending the Sierras to the west
This marker is No 13-A of a total of 70 placed along
the Humbolt, . . . — — Map (db m113027) HM
Upon entering the Truckee Meadows along the Truckee River, thousands of California-bound emigrants turned their wagons southwest to avoid extensive marshes and uncrossable sloughs. Here at the base of Rattlesnake Mountain the emigrants established a . . . — — Map (db m94434) HM
Frederick Joseph DeLongechamps was Nevada’s foremost architect of his time. Statewide he was prolific in the number of buildings he designed. From this point one can see a group of structures that stand, collectively, as a monument to DeLongechamps. . . . — — Map (db m44217) HM
The Galena Creek Fish Hatchery represents an attempt to make amends after Nevada's Comstock Lode ravaged the region's ecosystem in the 1860s and 70s. Fishing decimated local streams and lakes to feed a growing population. Eventually, restocking . . . — — Map (db m94432) HM
Seven-tenths of a mile east of this marker was Geiger's Station, the largest station on the Geiger Grade Toll Road, the main thoroughfare between the Comstock Lode and the ranches of the Truckee Meadows. Located at the site were a toll house, three . . . — — Map (db m94119) HM
In 1890 General O.M. Mitchel Post #69, Grand Army of the Republic, bought 17 lots in the original Hillside Cemetery for the last resting place for comrades-in-arms during the Civil War, 1861-1865.
While friends and relatives of the soldiers . . . — — Map (db m93896) HM
This tree was planted in soil from Civil War battlefields and dedicated to the memory of the Grand Army of the Republic. By the National Commander in Chief June 10, 1913.
Marked and Dedicated by Isaac Crist Camp No. 28
Sons of Union Veterans of . . . — — Map (db m42403) HM
The historic road corridors from the Truckee Meadows northwestward into the Honey Lake area contains a tangle of intertwined routes following the course of valleys, portions of an emigrant trail cutoff, toll roads, county roads and casual parallel . . . — — Map (db m115855) HM
Before the arrival, 1858, of Granville W. Huffaker driving 500 head of cattle into the Truckee Meadows, the principal settlers were Mormon. The Comstock Lode and its mining needs focused attention on the valley. Huffaker established his ranch in . . . — — Map (db m94304) HM
Here was located one of the busiest crossroads of pioneer Nevada, converging point for many major toll roads of the area. The earliest emigrants from the east crossed through Truckee Meadows at this point and by 1853 the intersection was known as . . . — — Map (db m93674) HM
Washington J. Marsh built this house in 1877. Myron C. Lake, regarded as a founder of Reno, purchased it in 1879, and ownership passed to his divorced wife, Jan, in 1881. This Italianate-style house has been moved twice and is listed in the National . . . — — Map (db m94123) HM
First settlement in this area was a toll station & bridge constructed on this site in 1859-60 by E.W. Fuller. It was later known as Lake’s Crossing after Myron C. Lake purchased this property in 1863. Lake’s land gift to the new overland railroad . . . — — Map (db m44213) HM
Lake's Crossing, a growing community along the Truckee River in Northern Nevada, was parceled into a proper town site by the Central Pacific Railroad. The railroad named the town Reno, to Honor Major General Jesse Lee Reno.
Born April 20, . . . — — Map (db m77708) HM
Built in 1922 by the Pincolini brothers Joseph, Adelvaldo, Evaristo and Dante.
Listed in the National Register of Historical Places, it served the community well for eighty four years.
Destroyed by fire on October 31, 2006
In . . . — — Map (db m93890) HM
Opened as a resort on October 29, 1905, Moana Springs took its name from a famous Hawaiian spa. In addition to a large bath house with a pool fed by hot springs, Moana had a stately hotel, a clubhouse, baseball diamond and picnic grounds. . . . — — Map (db m94303) HM
First building on the Reno campus, Morrill Hall was named in honor of Senator Justin S. Morrill of Vermont. Author of the Morrill Land-Grant Act of 1862 which led to the establishment of the university. Founded in Elko in 1874, the campus was moved . . . — — Map (db m113035) HM
This building was constructed as a passenger depot for the Nevada-California-Oregon Railroad, a narrow-gauge line connecting Reno with northern California and southern Oregon.
It began operations in 1882 as the Nevada and California Railroad. . . . — — Map (db m113777) HM
Before the arrival of the European Americans, the Washoe and Paiute people inhabited the Truckee Meadows. The Stevens-Murphy emigrant party passed through the area in 1844, and settlement began in the early 1850s. Charles William Fuller established . . . — — Map (db m94116) HM
A City Built on Trains and Automobiles
Nevada's alliance with the Union during the Civil War was important not only for the mineral resources of the Comstock Lode but because the state held portion of the transcontinental transportation and . . . — — Map (db m113036) HM
A Missouri mulepacker, William C. Fuller failed to strike it rich in California’s gold fields. His trek home, around 1859 or 1860, included a stop in the marshy valley known as the Truckee Meadows, located north of the Comstock Mining District, it . . . — — Map (db m77626) HM
In 1895, Washoe County District Attorney, Frank H. Norcross, later a Chief Justice of the Nevada Supreme Court and a Federal Judge, began a drive to establish Nevada’s first free public library in Reno. That year, he persuaded the Nevada Legislature . . . — — Map (db m44215) HM
In 1908, the Reno Red Cross Society and the Woman's Christian Temperance Union gave to the City of Reno, a public drinking fountain to serve people, horses, and dogs. It was dedicated to the Nevada Veterans of the Spanish-American War, in . . . — — Map (db m77707) WM
These natural hot-springs are notable for their curative qualities. They were nationally acclaimed by President Ulysses S. Grant when he visited them in 1879.
Early emigrants so named them, because of their puffing and blowing. Located in 1860 . . . — — Map (db m94118) HM
On this site on July 4, 1910, Reno hosted "The Fight of the Century," a heavyweight championship boxing match between John Arthur "Jack" Johnson, the black title holder, and James J. "Jim" Jeffries, a former champion seeking to regain the title he . . . — — Map (db m94121) HM
This arch was originally erected on Virginia Street at Commercial Row in 1926 to promote an exposition that celebrated the completion of the Lincoln and Victory highways. Electric bulbs spelled our "Reno" and "Nevada's Transcontinental Highways . . . — — Map (db m94431) HM
Flowing out of the Sierra Nevada Mountains to the west, the Truckee River is Reno’s most striking natural and historical feature. Shown below on a relief map of the surrounding Reno area are a few of the more significant historical sites near the . . . — — Map (db m44212) HM
Soon after the Chinese laborers graded this section during the summer of 1871, track gangs commenced laying rail south, reaching Steamboat Springs by late October. To celebrate the occasion numerous residents rode an excursion train to Steamboat on . . . — — Map (db m73947) HM
"God grants liberty to only those who love it and are ready to guard and defend it" - Daniel Webster
Dedicated to the brave men and women who served their county at home and abroad from 1941 - 1945. Their efforts and sacrifices shall not . . . — — Map (db m44526) HM