On East Franklin Street at Old Fraternity Row, on the right when traveling east on East Franklin Street.
John Sprunt Hill bought this block of buildings in the 1920's and donated it in parcels to UNC from 1947-51 with the stipulation that rent monies fund the North Carolina Collection at the library of the University which is still in effect to this . . . — — Map (db m86542) HM
On North Columbia Street (State Highway 86) at East Rosemary Street, on the right when traveling north on North Columbia Street.
In 1947 the Congress of Racial Equality & local citizens, black & white, protested bus segregation. Setting out from Washington, D.C. “freedom riders” tested compliance with a U.S. Supreme Court ruling barring segregation on interstate . . . — — Map (db m69968) HM
Near Farrington Road, on the right when traveling north.
(Preface): The Carolinas Campaign began on February 1, 1865, when Union Gen. William T. Sherman led his army north from Savannah, Georgia, after the “March to the Sea.” Sherman’s objective was to join Gen. Ulysses S. Grant in . . . — — Map (db m33984) HM
Near East Franklin Street at Henderson Street, on the right when traveling east.
To the Sons of the University
who entered the War of 1861-65
in answer to the call of their
country and whose lives
taught the lesson of
their great commander that
duty is the sublimest word
in the English language.
Erected . . . — — Map (db m90561) WM
On East Franklin Street 0.1 miles east of North Columbia Street, on the left when traveling east.
Constructed in 1923 by Robert L. Strowd, replacing an earlier building owned by Adele Tankersley. James L. Sutton and J. L. Alderman opened Sutton’s Drugstore here in 1923. Robert Foister operated a photography store in this building next to . . . — — Map (db m117135) HM
On East Franklin Street, on the right when traveling east.
Chapel Hill’s first bakery, Hill Bakery, moved to this space in 1920. In 1946, Thell Jernigan bought the bakery, renaming it Thell’s Bakery, and James H. Davis bought the University Florist in the Pick Theatre Building next door. This building was . . . — — Map (db m117082) HM
On East King Street at South Cameron Street, on the right when traveling east on East King Street.
The Alexander Dickson House, an ideal example of 18th-century "Quaker-plan" farmhouse, was built around 1790. Alexander Dickson, his wife, Elizabeth, and their nine children moved into this house in 1845. In addition to running the farm, Dickson . . . — — Map (db m139748) HM
On S Churton Street at King Street, on the right when traveling north on S Churton Street.
From this spot where stood the Old State House was started an expedition of frontiersmen under Col. Richard Henderson, for Kentucky, led by Daniel Boone March 17, 1776 ----- • ----- “And they marched away solemnly as if going to the ends of . . . — — Map (db m34372) HM
On West Tryon Street 0.1 miles west of North Churton Street, on the right when traveling west.
has been designated a
Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the . . . — — Map (db m139763) HM
On E King Street at S Churton Street (U.S. 70), on the right when traveling east on E King Street.
Designed and erected, 1844 – 45 by John Berry of Hillsborough, 1798 – 1870 Builder, Architect, Legislator, Humanitarian --------------- Builder of distinguished structures in his native state Contributor to the tradition of American . . . — — Map (db m34690) HM
On West Tryon Street west of North Churton Street (Business U.S. 70), on the right when traveling west.
Site of First North Carolina Convention 1788
which refused to ratify the United States
Constitution; later ratified at Second
Convention 1789 in Fayetteville.
Placed by: Orange County Constitutional
July 23, . . . — — Map (db m139776) HM
Near State Highway 86, on the right when traveling south.
(Preface, upper left): The Carolinas Campaign began on February 1, 1865, when Union Gen. William T. Sherman led his army north from Savannah, Georgia, after the “March to the Sea.” Sherman’s objective was to join Gen. Ulysses S. . . . — — Map (db m13972) HM
William Hooper Esquire
Declaration of Independence
July 4th, 1776
Sponsored by the Davie Poplar Chapter
Erected by National Society of Daughters of the American Revolution of North Carolina
1937 — — Map (db m139769) HM