Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Burke County North Carolina Historical Markers

 
Andre Michaux Marker image, Touch for more information
By Michael C. Wilcox, November 13, 2016
Andre Michaux Marker
North Carolina (Burke County), Morganton — N-21 — Andre Michaux
French botanist, pioneer in studying flora of western North Carolina. Spent nights of Sept. 8, 1794, and May 2, 1795, at "Swan Ponds," 3 mi. S.W. — Map (db m99603) HM
North Carolina (Burke County), Morganton — N-39 — Boughton Hospital
State hospital for care of mentally ill; opened 1883. Named in 1959 for J. Melville Broughton, governor, 1941-1945. — Map (db m99615) HM
North Carolina (Burke County), Morganton — N-34 — Burke Courthouse
Built of local cut stone, ca. 1835, by James Binnie. August terms of State Supreme Court held here, 1847-61. Raided by Union force 1865. Remodeled 1901. — Map (db m99610) HM
North Carolina (Burke County), Morganton — N-17 — Camp Vance
Training camp for state troops, 1861-64, named for Col. Zebulon Vance, war governor, was here. The camp was raided by federal troops in 1864. — Map (db m99612) HM
North Carolina (Burke County), Morganton — N-47 — Fort San Juan
Built by Juan Pardo in 1567 at native town of Joara. Served as Spanish outpost until razed by Indians, 1568. NE 4 mi. — Map (db m99608) HM
North Carolina (Burke County), Morganton — Morganton — Rocky Ford Engagement — Stoneman's Raid
(Preface): On March 24, 1865, Union Gen. George Stoneman led 6,000 cavalrymen from Tennessee into southwestern Virginia and western North Carolina to disrupt the Confederate supply line by destroying sections of the Virginia and Tennessee . . . — Map (db m20348) HM
North Carolina (Burke County), Morganton — Morganton — Burke County Courthouse — Stoneman's Raid
On March 24, 1865, Union Gen. George Stoneman led 6,000 cavalrymen from Tennessee into southwestern Virginia and western North Carolina to disrupt the Confederate supply line by destroying sections of the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad, the . . . — Map (db m99609) HM
North Carolina (Burke County), Morganton — N 40 — N.C. School for the Deaf
Opened 1894 under superintendent Edward McKee Goodwin. Main building designed by A.G. Bauer. — Map (db m20338) HM
North Carolina (Burke County), Morganton — Our Confederate Soldiers
Confederate Soldiers of Burke County (names not transcribed) — Map (db m99614) WM
North Carolina (Burke County), Morganton — N-3 — Quaker Meadows
Rendezvous for "Over-Mountain Men" prior to Battle of Kings Mountain, 1780. Home of Joseph & Charles McDowell, military & political leaders. — Map (db m99602) HM
North Carolina (Burke County), Morganton — N-49 — Sam J. Ervin, Jr. — 1896-1985
U.S. Senator, 1954-1974; led Senate Watergate Committee, 1973-1974; judge. His law office was one block west. — Map (db m99613) HM
North Carolina (Burke County), Morganton — N 13 — Stoneman's Raid
On their raid through western North Carolina Gen. Stoneman's U.S. cavalry skirmished with Confederates near here on April 17, 1865. — Map (db m20346) HM
North Carolina (Burke County), Morganton — N-8 — Tod R. Caldwell
Governor, 1870-1874, during Reconstruction, member State Convention of 1865. His home stood here. — Map (db m99611) HM
North Carolina (Burke County), Morganton — N-28 — Waightstill Avery
First Attorney General of North Carolina, 1777-79, member provincial Congresses, colonel in Revolution. "Swan Ponds," his home, was 3 mi. S.W. — Map (db m99607) HM
North Carolina (Burke County), Rutherford College — N 29 — Rutherford College
Evolved from private school opened c. 1853 by R.L. Abernethy. Operated 1900-1933 by Methodist Church. Closed 1935. The original site 1.3 mi N. — Map (db m20391) HM
North Carolina (Burke County), Rutherford College — N 29 — Rutherford College
Evolved from private school opened c. 1853 by R.L. Adernethy. Operated 1900-1933 by Methodist Church. Closed 1935. The original site 8/10 mi N. — Map (db m20393) HM
North Carolina (Burke County), Valdese — Historic Valdese Foundation Heritage Millennium Clock Tower
For the European Waldensian settlers of Valdese, a clock tower served as a landmark or beacon for a town's inhabitants. This landmark honors and memorializes all these founders, leaders, citizens and organizations who have greatly contributed to the . . . — Map (db m20406) HM
North Carolina (Burke County), Valdese — The Waldensian Colony
To the Waldensian Colony from the Cottian Alps. who settled here first in 1893 numbering in all 427, in recognition of their Christian ideals, integrity, industry and good citizenship this monument is erected, by the Town of Valdese. And . . . — Map (db m20336) HM
North Carolina (Burke County), Valdese — Valdese Centennial Park — Legend of Plaques
First Marker:Centennial Seal Official Seal of the 100th Celebration of the founding of Valdese Future From an agrarian beginning through Industrial growth, comes a bright horizon Civic Citizens Band together . . . — Map (db m20396) HM
North Carolina (Burke County), Valdese — N 2 — Waldenses
A religious body dating from the middle ages. The town of Valdese was founded by members of this group in 1893. — Map (db m20335) HM

20 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.