Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Jefferson County Mississippi Historical Markers

 
The Mississippi Baptist Beginnings roadside display. image, Touch for more information
July 7, 2017
The Mississippi Baptist Beginnings roadside display.
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Baptist Building
As the twentieth century's second decade was drawing to a close, explosive growth in the churches and the work of the Mississippi Baptist Convention Board led to the 1919 purchase of the Harding Building on the corner of Capitol and North President . . . — Map (db m106425) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Baptist Churches Constituted After Territory Acquired By U.S.A.
Until 1798, The Mississippi Territory was under Spanish rule. Threatened with banishment to the silver mines of Mexico because of preaching, Richard Curtis, Jr. returned to South Carolina until there was a change in the government. President . . . — Map (db m105490) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Beginning of the First Baptist Church in Mississippi
In the Spring of 1780, several families of the Great Pee Dee River area near Charleston, S.C., loaded their possessions on pack-horses and set out for the far off "Natchez Country". Richard Curtis, Sr., was their leader. At the Holston River in . . . — Map (db m105400) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Blue Mountain College
Blue Mountain College was founded in 1873 as a Christian liberal arts college for women. Significant events at the College since its founding include affiliation with the Mississippi Baptist Convention in 1920; the addition of a ministerial program . . . — Map (db m105974) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Bullen Creek
Before your very eyes an endless struggle is taking place. Trees are striving here for the essentials of life – water, sunlight and space. Trying to get ahead, the hardwoods push upward, their crowns filling all the overhead space, shutting . . . — Map (db m87285)
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — 85 — Charlie Evers & The Blues
Side 1 In 1973 Mayor Charles Evers of Fayette and B. B. King began to cosponsor concerts at the Medgar Evers Homecoming in honor of the slain civil rights activist. Dozens of blues, soul, and gospel acts performed at the annual festival during . . . — Map (db m105216) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Confederate Soldiers Monument
. . . — Map (db m105210) WM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Conference Ministries
The express purpose of Mississippi Baptists' conference ministries program has always been to provide a setting in which God can lead His people to make life-changing spiritual decisions including professions of faith, rededications, and . . . — Map (db m106310) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Ebenezer Baptist Church — Longest Uninterrupted Ministry
On May 9, 1806, eleven individuals met together with Rev. Richard Curtis, Jr. and Rev. Thomas Mercer to organize Ebenezer Baptist Church in Amite County. Services have continued there for over 200 years giving the church the distinction of having . . . — Map (db m105958) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Mississippi Baptist Health Systems, Inc.
In 1908, two physicians purchased an eight-room frame home on the corner of North State and Manship streets in Jackson, Mississippi, with the vision of converting it into a small hospital. After operating the hospital for two years, the physicians . . . — Map (db m106330) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Mississippi College — A Christian University
Mississippi College, in Clinton, MS, was established as Hampstead Academy in 1826. The name was changed to Mississippi College in 1830. MC became the oldest university in Mississippi and the second oldest Baptist university in the United States. In . . . — Map (db m105973) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Mississippi- Fertile Ground for Leadership Development
Mississippi has proven over the years to be fertile ground for seeds of faith planted by the state's early Baptists. From those seeds have sprung numerous state, national and international leaders. Among those leaders: Margaret McRae Lackey . . . — Map (db m106294) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Organization of Baptist Churches in Mississippi
Messengers from 5 Baptist churches met at the Salem Church in September 1806, to organize the Mississippi Baptist Association. The Union and Pearl River Association were organized in 1820. The first Mississippi Baptist Convention was organized . . . — Map (db m105522) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Richard Curtis, Jr. — May 28, 1755 - October 28, 1811 — Mississippi's First Baptist Preacher
Curtis migrated to Cole's Creek in Natchez District from South Carolina in 1780 and encountered Indian attacks, disease and inclement weather. Despite constant obstacles and harassment from the Spanish authorities, in 1791, he helped establish the . . . — Map (db m105823) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Salem Church — Cole's Creek
S. 4 mi. First Baptist church in Miss. Set up, 1791, in home of Margaret Stampley, with Richard Curtis, of S.C., as pastor. Here, 1806, first Miss. Baptist Assn. formed. — Map (db m105212) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — The Baptist Children's Village — Caring For Mississippi Children Since 1897
Reverend L.S.Foster of Senatobia, the Founding Father of The Baptist Children's Village, sought the Lord's direction in providing a safe place for Mississippi children who needed a place to grow spiritually as well as physically.

Reverend Foster . . . — Map (db m106150) HM

Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — The Baptist Record
One of the many privately-owned Baptist newspapers circulating in Mississippi in the mid-to late-nineteenth century, the Mississippi Baptist Record was founded in 1877 in the Clinton residence of Civil War veteran J.B. Gambrell. In August 1898, the . . . — Map (db m106378) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Thomas Hinds
Home 4 mi. W. His cavalry "pride" of one army & "admiration" of other at N. Orleans, 1815. Militia head, 1815-19; comr. in negotiating Choctaw cession, 1820 & selecting site of capital at Jackson, 1821; mem. legislature & Congress. — Map (db m105207) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — William Carey University
In 1906, William Carey University began in Hattiesburg as South Mississippi College. Noted educator W.I. Thames served as president. A devastating fire destroyed the college in 1910. W.S.F. Tatum, a Hattiesburg business leader, acquired the . . . — Map (db m106143) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Fayette — Woodville Baptist Church — First Organized and Still Active Church
On the first Saturday of October 1798, William Thompson, Richard Curtis, Jr. and Joseph Willis met with families on Bayou Sara Creek, four miles southwest of Woodville, and organized a church under the arm of Salem Baptist Church known as the . . . — Map (db m105840) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Lorman — Civil War Skirmish
Here, on July 4, 1864, Union landing force, sent from Rodney by General Ellett in search of cotton, clashed with C.S.A. cavalry under Maj. Moorman & was driven back to boats. — Map (db m6411) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Lorman — Coleman's Crossroads
On July 4, 1864, a small brigade of Confederate cavalry under the command of Col. Robert C. Wood attacked a Union force composed of the Mississippi Marine Brigade and two regiments of United States Colored Troops on an expedition from . . . — Map (db m117953) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Lorman — Lorman
The town of Lorman was first settled in the early 1800s and known by a variety of names, including Lee, Lick, and Hays. In 1884, the town was formally platted when the Louisiana, New Orleans, and Texas Railroad purchased land from Mrs. Charlotte . . . — Map (db m105737) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Red Lick — Red Lick — Presbyterian Church — (Brick Church)
Organized June 23, 1845. Church built , 1846, the cornerstone being laid June 28, 1846. Dedication by the Revs. Zebulon Butler and S. S. Templeton. — Map (db m117978) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Rodney — Dr. Rush Nutt (1781-1837) — Windsor Battlefield Tour
Dr. Rush Nutt, who built Laurel Hill Plantation about 1815, is known for his agricultural and scientific study for initiating improvements in agricultural implements and techniques and for his civic contributions in early statehood days in . . . — Map (db m119961) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Rodney — History of Rodney - Her Fall — Windsor Battlefield Tour
The yellow tever epldemics of 1843 and 1898 were fatal to many residents of Rodney. Even though the Union gunboat "Rattler" fired upon the town, Rodney and her churches were spared destruction during the Civil War. Here was the disembarking . . . — Map (db m119482) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Rodney — History of Rodney - Her Rise — Windsor Battlefield Tour
The French were the first Europeans to claim this area, clled "Petit Gouffre", "Petit Golphe", "Petit Gulf", or "Little Gulf". In 1763, as a result of the French and Indian War, the area became the dominion of Great Britain. Spain captured British . . . — Map (db m119887) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Rodney — Laurel Hill Plantation — Windsor Battlefield Tour
Ca. 1815. Located almost one mile southwest, Laurel Hill is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. A single approach leads from the primary road one-fourth mile toward Rodney down a deeply cut roadbed bordered by moss-draped cedars and . . . — Map (db m119904) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Rodney — Old Rodney Presbyterian Church — Windsor - Battlefield Tour
During the Civil War, on September 13, 1863, a skirmish ocurred at the church. On that Sunday morning the Union gunboat "Rattler" had docked at Rodney. Rev. Baker, a northern sympathizer who was to preach that day, invited Captain Fentrese of . . . — Map (db m118341) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Rodney — Old Rodney Presbyterian Church — Windsor Battlefield Tour
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, the church was begun when the 1828 Mississippi Legislature granted a charter of Incorporation to the "Presbyterian Church of Petit Gulf". Later in 1828, the Town of Rodney was incorporated, the . . . — Map (db m119889) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Rodney — Old Rodney to Bruinsburg Road — Windsor Battlefield Tour
Old early nineteenth century road was one of two connecting the old town of Rodney with Claiborne County settlements. Composed of loess soil, the roadbed and roadside bluffs remain today much as they were 150 years ago. — Map (db m118013) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Rodney — Old Town of Rodney — Windsor Battlefield Tour
Incorporated in 1828, Rodney was noted for its high level of culture, county fairs and business activity. Rodney once contained two banks, two newspapers, 500 people and 35 stores. Cottonseed development, river boat landing, river boat taverns and . . . — Map (db m118287) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Rodney — Old Town of Rodney - Layout — Windsor Battlefield Tour
The earliest references to the Rodney area are from the 1774 New England expedition led by General Phineas Lyman to organize a settlement on Big Black River. Captain Matthew Phelps, a member of this expedition, described the area as "firm rock on . . . — Map (db m119963) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Rodney — Old Town of Rodney - Structures — Windsor Battlefield Tour
Old Rodney Presbyterian Church, dedicated in 1832, is located north on Commerce Street at Church Street intersection. Also on Commerce Street at the south edge of town is Sacred Heart Catholic Church, built about 1869. Most present structures date . . . — Map (db m120395) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Stanton — Mount Locust
(Marker #1) Mount Locust as an Inn Growing traffic on the Trace gave Ferguson opportunity to develop Mount Locust. After 1795, the Mississippi was legally opened for American traffic. Settlers floated their products downriver . . . — Map (db m87276) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Stanton — Mount Locust
Constructed ca. 1780, this home is one of the oldest structures in Mississippi. It functioned as both a working plantation and as an inn, where travelers on the Natchez Trace could rest for the night. Mount Locust is the only surviving inn of the . . . — Map (db m87277) HM
Mississippi (Jefferson County), Union Church — The Reverend William Montgomery
In Memory of The Reverend William Montgomery Born 1768, Shippensburg, PA Died March 18, 1848, Jefferson Co., MS

Pioneer Presbyterian Minister to the Natchez District Charter member of the first Presbyteries of GA and MS Pastor of Pine Ridge, . . . — Map (db m127143) HM

Mississippi (Jefferson County), Union Church — Union Church
Settled,1806, by Scotch Presbyterians, whose Gaelic speech long survived. Rev. C.W. Grafton served as minister in area 61 years. Site where Grierson's raid was checked, April 28, 1863. — Map (db m117989) HM

38 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.