Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Montgomery County Alabama Historical Markers

315 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 315 are listed. Previous 200
 
Lomax House image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, January 12, 2014
Lomax House
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Lomax House, 1848
Built by James J. Gilmer. Purchased by Reuben C. Shorter, 1849, for his wife, Caroline A.V. Billingslea, who later married Tennent Lomax, captain and governor of Orizaba, Mexican War colonel, 3rd Ala. Infantry Regt., CSA, killed at Battle of Seven . . . — Map (db m86128) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Loveless School/Henry Allen Loveless
(side 1) Loveless School Montgomery's first junior and senior high schools for African American students began in Loveless School. Built in 1923 and enlarged in 1930, this building first housed seven grades; the opening of Carver . . . — Map (db m71082) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Lower Dexter Park
History Happened Here The City of Montgomery built this public park on one of the lots occupied by the Montgomery Fair Department Store. Rosa Parks was an assistant to the tailor for Montgomery Fair. On December 1, 1955, Mrs. Parks . . . — Map (db m121435) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Lucas TavernEarly 19th century
Located on the Federal Road near Line Creek (present Waugh) in eastern Montgomery County, this wayside hotel was built prior to 1818 and was owned by a least two other families before coming into the possession of Walter and Eliza Lucas around . . . — Map (db m98557) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Lucas Tavern / Lafayette
Lucas Tavern Stood four hundred yards north of this point Lafayette Spent the night here April 2, 1825 — Map (db m71358) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Lucien Dunbibben GardnerTwenty-Second Chief Justice — 1940-1951 —
A native of Troy, Lucien Dunbibben Gardner graduated with a Bachelor of Science Degree, from the State Normal School at Troy in 1894. He earned his Bachelor of Arts Degree from The University of Alabama and graduated from the Law Department in 1897. . . . — Map (db m69333) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Major Charles W. Davis, Infantry United States Army / "Above and Beyond"
Major Charles W. Davis A native of Montgomery, graduate of Lanier, alumnus of the Universities of Alabama and Maryland. Major Davis was awarded the Medal of Honor as Executive Officer, 2d Battalion, 27th Infantry Regiment, 25th Infantry . . . — Map (db m86129) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Major Lemuel Purnell Montgomery1786 - 1814
Brilliant lawyer, valiant soldier, in whose honor Montgomery County, Alabama was named — Map (db m94029) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Marquis de Lafayette
On this site stood, until December 1899, the house in which Marquis de Lafayette was given a public reception and ball, April 4, 1825, while on his last tour through the United States. This tablet is placed by the Society of the Sons of the . . . — Map (db m70727) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Marshall J. Moore House
In 1900, Marshall Moore and his wife, Agnes V. McClain commissioned Joseph G. Nesbitt, Sr., an African-American contractor/builder, to construct this Victorian period cottage. The Moores, among the first graduates and early faculty members of . . . — Map (db m86130) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Minister's Home / Dr. Martin Luther KingDexter Avenue King Memorial Baptist Church
Side A House built circa 1912. It has been the home of the ministers of Dexter Avenue Baptist Church since 1919. Its most famous occupant, Dr. Martin Luther King, lived here from Sept. 1954-Feb. 1960. During this time he led the Bus Boycott . . . — Map (db m86132) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery
After Horseshoe Bend defeat, Creeks ceded millions of acres to United States. Cotton was in great demand. This area ideal for crop which is still planted on peninsular across river. In 1817, lands went on sale. Andrew Dexter, Massachusetts lawyer, . . . — Map (db m61802) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery and Electricity / Hydroelectricity in the River Region
Side 1 Montgomery and Electricity Gaslights in 1854, electric lights in 1883 and the electric trolley in 1886 made Montgomery a state leader in applying modern technology for lighting and motive power. Steam was used first for . . . — Map (db m71367) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery Area Chamber of CommerceThe Forefront of Montgomery's Future
Side A The first American Chamber of Commerce was organized in New York City in 1770. The Montgomery Chamber was organized in 1873. Thomas Joseph was its first President. The Alabama State Journal stated at its founding, "Montgomery . . . — Map (db m36568) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery City Hall / Funeral for Hank Williams
(Front) Built 1936-37 Following a fire in 1932 that destroyed a 19th century City Hall, architect Frank Lockwood designed a replacement for the same site. With the Depression affecting all construction projects during the period, the . . . — Map (db m36571) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery County Circuit Court / Sit-Ins and Marches at the Montgomery County Courthouse
Montgomery County Circuit Court Site of Major Civil Rights Cases 1956-1960 In 1956, 89 persons were indicted for violating an anti-boycott law; Rosa Parks' conviction was appealed; the Montgomery Improvement Association car . . . — Map (db m94925) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery County Korean War Veterans
In grateful memory of the men and women of Montgomery County who fought for God and country on the field of honor in the Korean War They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going . . . — Map (db m36578) WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery County Vietnam War Memorial
Montgomery County In Service to America Vietnam War MemorialMap (db m94936) WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery County World War II Monument
Respectfully dedicated to the memory of the men and women of Montgomery County who made the supreme sacrifice in World War Two.   1941—1945 Around the circular monument On Land, On Sea, and in the Air They Died That . . . — Map (db m94929) WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery Freemasonry
Side 1 Freemasonry is a fraternal order which promotes a spirit of brotherhood, devotion to family, and service to God and country. Local Masonic Lodges and affiliated organizations, such as the Eastern Star, Scottish and York Rite . . . — Map (db m71374) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery Racial Segregation on Buses
On multiple occasions in 1955, black women were arrested for challenging Montgomery's law requiring racial segregation on buses. The arrest of Rosa Parks sparked a mass protest that launched the modern civil rights movement and brought to prominence . . . — Map (db m118040) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery Theatre
Opened in Oct. 1860 as the South moved closer to secession, the theatre was significant in the social, cultural and political life of the city. In the early months, John Wilkes Booth performed here, Bryant Minstrels introduced "Dixie," which was . . . — Map (db m36572) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery’s Slave Markets / First Emancipation Observance - 1866
Side A The city’s slave market was at the Artesian Basin (Court Square). Slaves of all ages were auctioned, along with land and livestock, standing in line to be inspected. Public posters advertised sales and included gender, approximate . . . — Map (db m28187) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery's Panel Project
Montgomery's Cotton Slide The history of Montgomery Panel Project is place on top of the remains of Montgomery's Cotton Slide. The Cotton Slide was used to transport heavy cotton bales from the streets above to the waiting steamboats below. . . . — Map (db m78145) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery's Slave Depots/Montgomery's Slave Traders
(side 1) Montgomery's Slave Depots Montgomery slave traders operated depots where enslaved men, women, and children were confined. The slave depots functioned as active trading sites and as detention facilities where the enslaved . . . — Map (db m71227) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Mount Zion African Methodist Episcopal AME Zion Church
Side 1 Located in the heart of one of Montgomery's historic African-American neighborhoods. Mount Zion A.M.E. Zion Church was constructed in 1899 and heavily remodeled in 1921. It served as a significant center for religious, political, and . . . — Map (db m86411) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Murphy House
Greek Revival Home built, 1851 by John H. Murphy, cotton broker and an incorporator and director of the Montgomery Water Works Company, chartered 1854. Union Army Provost Marshal's Headquarters 1865. Elks Club 1902-1967 Restored by Montgomery . . . — Map (db m36569) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Naming the City of Montgomery / Brigadier General Richard Montgomery
Naming the City of Montgomery Montgomery named for Richard Montgomery, first American general killed in the Revolutionary War. In 1819, the Alabama Legislature combined New Philadelphia and East Alabama to form Montgomery. Walter B. . . . — Map (db m69297) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Naval Heroes of the War of 1812Dexter Avenue, Montgomery, Alabama
Side 1 The six streets which cross Dexter Avenue between Court Square and the State Capitol are named for Oliver Hazard Perry, James Lawrence, Thomas Macdonough, Issac Hull, Stephen Decatur and William Bainbridge, all naval officers of . . . — Map (db m99545) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Office of Dr. Luther Leonidas HillOffice Site of Dr. J. Marion Sims
(Side A):Office of Dr. Luther Leonidas HillThis early 20th-century building was office of Dr. L.L. Hill who, in 1902, performed first open heart surgery in the Western Hemisphere when he sutured stab wound in young boy's heart. A . . . — Map (db m86413) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Old Elam Baptist Church
Organized on June 19, 1819, by Rev. James McLemore, Electious Thompson, Arnold Edwards, and E. Jeter, Old Elam is one of Montgomery's earliest Baptist churches. It began with fourteen members and was one of the four original churches that comprised . . . — Map (db m111373) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Old Elam Baptist Church CemeteryMontgomery County
Old Elam Baptist Church Cemetery is Montgomery County's 22nd cemetery listed in the prestigious Alabama Historic Cemetery Register. Rev. James McLemore, Electious Thompson, Arnold Edwards, and E. Jeter founded Old Elam Baptist Church on June 19, . . . — Map (db m82565) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Old Oakwood Cemetery
The city cemetery was begun by donations of land from Andrew Dexter in 1817 and from General John Scott in 1818. Dexter and Scott had founded separate villages which combined to form Montgomery in 1819. The early part of the graveyard was known as . . . — Map (db m36496) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Old Ship A.M.E. Zion Church
This congregation was organized by the Court Street Methodist Church in the early 1850s. The latter group offered their 1835 wood frame building to the black members if they would relocate it. In 1852 the church was moved to this site under the . . . — Map (db m72170) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Ordeman House Museum
Built on this site by architect Charles Ordeman in 1852-1853, this upscale townhouse exemplifies the newly fashionable Italianate style, with its bracketed overhanging roof cornice and asymmetric door placement. A showcase for modern design in its . . . — Map (db m71394) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Percy Lavon JulianScientist and Humanitarian — 1899-1975 —
Born on the west side of Holt Street, April 11, 1899, Percy Lavon Julian entered Depauw University in 1916; graduated in chemistry with Phi Beta Kappa honors. Earned master's from Harvard, Ph.D. at the University of Vienna. His studies led to a . . . — Map (db m86418) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Pickett Springs / “The Best Public Resort”
Pickett Springs Railroad building and amusement park development flourished in the post-bellum South. In 1880s, Western Railroad of Alabama opened Pickett Springs on site of William Harris’s plantation, “Forest Farm;” Harris’s . . . — Map (db m38900) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Professor John Metcalfe Starke / Starke University School
Side A Professor John Metcalfe Starke "Fessor Starke" 1860-1941A native of Virginia, John Metcalfe Starke received his early education in Petersburg and graduated from the University of Virginia in 1882, earning diplomas in Latin and . . . — Map (db m86421) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Racial Inequality in the United States
Black and brown people in the United States often are presumed dangerous and guilty when thet have done nothing wrong. Our history of racial inequality has created conscious and unconscious bias that has resulted in racial discrimination against . . . — Map (db m119077) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Rainbow SoldierRainbow Division - Croix Rouge Farm - 167th Alabama Infantry Regiment - July 26, 1918
Front On August 28, 1917, 3,677 Alabama National Guardsmen departed from Montgomery's Union Station for shipment to France as the 167th United States Infantry Regiment of the Rainbow Divison. Serving in the 84th Brigade, with . . . — Map (db m107608) WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Ray W. Scott Jr. Founded Bass Anglers Movement
Montgomery native Ray W. Scott Jr. launched the Bass Anglers Sportsman Society (B.A.S.S.) in 1967 from a small office upstairs at 513 Madison Avenue. From this beginning, B.A.S.S. became the largest sportfishing organization in the world. Scott . . . — Map (db m98551) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Remount Depot / Keyton Station
Side 1 Remount Depot During World War I, in the summer of 1917 the U.S. Army opened a remount depot here to buy horses and mules for Camp Sheridan's 27,000-man 37th Division from Ohio. Despite the introduction of motor transport . . . — Map (db m71340) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Rice-Semple-Haardt House
Built early 1850's by Samuel Farrow Rice, state legislator and Chief Justice, Alabama Supreme Court. Sold in late 1860's to attorney Henry Churchill Semple, whose family occupied home until 1954 when sold to John Haardt, a realtor. Sold to . . . — Map (db m74157) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Rosa Louise McCauley Parks / The Bus Stop
Side A A Lady of Courage Born in Tuskegee, AL on February 4, 1913, to James McCauley, a carpenter, and Leona Edwards, a teacher. Moved with mother and brother to Pine Level, AL after parents' separation. Enrolled in Mrs. White's School . . . — Map (db m36503) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Rosa Louise ParksShe sat down - So we can stand up — February 4, 1913 - October 24, 2005 —
Mother of the modern day civil rights movement — Map (db m91278) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Rosa Parks and the Montgomery Bus Boycott
Side 1 On December 1, 1955, Rosa Louis McCauley Parks was arrested on this site for refusing the order of city bus driver J. F. Blake to vacate her seat under the segregation laws of the Jim Crow era. She was taken to police . . . — Map (db m91286) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Rosa Parks Branch Library / Bertha Pleasant Williams
Side 1 Rosa Parks Branch Library Second public library for blacks in City of Montgomery, this building opened in 1960 as Montgomery Branch Library on Cleveland Avenue. Designed by architect James Miller Davis, it served the black . . . — Map (db m71388) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Rosa Parks Montgomery Bus Boycott / Hank Williams Alabama Troubadour
Side A At the bus stop on this site on December 1, 1955, Mrs. Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat to boarding whites. This brought about her arrest, conviction, and fine. The Boycott began December 5, the day of Parks’ trial, as a . . . — Map (db m86422) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Rosa Parks Returns to St. Paul AME / Rosa Parks's Faith Guided Her Life
Rosa Parks Returns to St. Paul AME Rosa Louise McCauley Parks, the Mother of the Civil Rights Movement, passed away in Detroit on Oct. 24, 2005 at the age of 92. Six days later, dressed in the uniform of an AME deaconess, her body arrived . . . — Map (db m127280) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Royal Air Force Burial Ground
Buried here are 78 officers and men of the Royal Air Force who lost their lives whilst training in Montgomery, Alabama during the Second World War. Nearly 1,000 men who died during that war or the First World War when serving with the forces of . . . — Map (db m88770) HM WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Second National Confederate Flag("Stainless Banner")
The intensity of the war caused the desire for a new national flag that was in no way similar to the U.S. flag. The "Stainless Banner" was adopted by the Confederate Congress on May 1, 1863. The cross of St. Andrew, depicted on the flag, has been . . . — Map (db m86423) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Selma-to-Montgomery March
Side A The Selma-to-Montgomery March ended here on March 25, 1965, when 25,000 civil rights marchers arrived at the Alabama State Capitol to demand the right to vote for African Americans. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and other civil rights . . . — Map (db m62747) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Sherman W. White, Jr.(1919 - 1943) — First Lieutenant, 99th Fighter Squadron —
Side 1: Sherman, Sr. and Nettie White lived at this address on W. Jeff Davis Ave. Both teachers, they taught their children Sherman Jr., Willa, James, and Samson to love their country and value education. Willa, James, and Samson would graduate . . . — Map (db m71084) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Sidney Lanier High School
Established in 1910 on South McDonough Street, this school was named for the well-known southern poet, Sidney Lanier, who resided in Montgomery 1866-67. This late Gothic Revival building was constructed 1928-29 to consolidate the original . . . — Map (db m86424) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Site of the Warren Reese House
This was the site of the home of Warren Stone Reese (1842-1898) --planter, cotton merchant, soldier, and mayor of Montgomery. Reese, promoted to the rank of colonel in the Confederacy for gallantry at Chickamauga, became commander of the . . . — Map (db m81807) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Smith - Joseph - Stratton House
Only surviving residence of former Mayor E.B. Joseph. The Italianate cottage was built c. 1855 by Pickett Chauncey Smith, a merchant in antebellum Montgomery, and father-in-law of E.B. Joseph, who occupied the house from 1880 to 1885. Joseph served . . . — Map (db m86426) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — South Jackson Street / Victor Hugo Tulane
Side 1 South Jackson Street Long a home to African-American professionals, politicians, and businessmen, South Jackson Street is in the heart of Centennial Hill, a neighborhood which developed in the 1870s. One block north at . . . — Map (db m71354) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — St. John's Episcopal ChurchOrganized 1834
Present building erected 1855 under rectorship of Nicholas Hamner Cobbs, first Bishop of Alabama. Primary convention of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the Confederate States of America was held here, July 3-6, 1861. Charles Minnegerode . . . — Map (db m36570) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — St. Paul A.M.E. Church
By the turn of the twentieth century, African Americans were gathering on Hardaway Street in a brush arbor to worship. In 1907, they incorporated what is now known as St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church, with Rev. Felix Strum serving as the . . . — Map (db m127279) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church
St. Peter's Church has occupied this site since a small wooden church, begun in 1833, was built on land donated by Mr. Edward Hanrick. Rt. Rev. Michael Portier, D.D., first Catholic Bishop of Mobile, dedicated the first church on April 25, 1834. A . . . — Map (db m36581) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Struggle For Colonial Empire
Here on May 24, 1703, Alabama Indians ambushed the first French explorers from Mobile, killing three and wounding two critically. The Indians were armed and were used as pawns by British agents from Carolina in the European struggle for dominion . . . — Map (db m67999) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 3 — Support: Local and OrganizationalSelma to Montgomery National Historic Trail — Near Early and Oak Streets —
The civil rights movement in Montgomery was born from the support of both organized groups and individual residents. The day-in-day-out support came from local citizens, who were guided by groups on both the local and the national level. The . . . — Map (db m91467) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Swayne College / Booker T. Washington School
Side A Named for Union General and Freemen’s Bureau Agent Wager Swayne, Swayne College was dedicated 21 April 1869. The Bureau appropriated $10,000 for the building and the local black community purchased 3.5 acres for the site. Future . . . — Map (db m28171) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Teague HouseGreek Revival Architecture — Built in 1848 by Berry Owens —
On April 11, 1865, federal troops, known as "Wilson's Raiders," approached the city. Lacking means of defense, city officials agreed to surrender the city. From the front portico of this house was read the order of Gen. James H. Wilson, USA, . . . — Map (db m71249) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Teague Road
This 2.8-mile road connecting U.S. highways 331 and 31 first appeared on Montgomery County road maps in 1928. Land for the road was deeded to Montgomery County in September 1926 by local landowners from the Teague, Bellingrath and Matthews families. . . . — Map (db m70932) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Teague Road
This 2.8-mile road connecting U.S. highways 331 and 31 first appeared on Montgomery County road maps in 1928. Land for the road was deeded to Montgomery County in September 1926 by local landowners from the Teague, Bellingrath and Matthews families. . . . — Map (db m99235) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Telegram Which Began War Between The States / Winter Building
(side 1) Telegram Which Began War Between The States Montgomery, April 11, 1861 General Beauregard, Charleston: Do not desire needlessly to bombard Fort Sumter. If Major Anderson will state the time at which, as . . . — Map (db m22524) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The Capital City Guards1885 - 1905
In July 1885, the state Adjutant General authorized the organization of a black infantry company known as the Capital City Guards. Joseph L. Ligon was elected captain. Over the next 20 years, the Capital City Guards were a source of tremendous civic . . . — Map (db m71260) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The Domestic Slave Trade/Slave Transportation to Montgomery
Side 1 The Domestic Slave Trade Beginning in the seventeenth century, millions of African people were kidnapped, sold into slavery, and shipped to the Americas as part of the Transatlantic Slave Trade. In 1808, the United States . . . — Map (db m86427) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The Dowe Houses
(side 1) The three Dowe houses are a reminder of the residential neighborhood that existed here in the 19th century. The main family residence, dating from 1863, was originally designed as an Italianate-style "raised cottage." But in . . . — Map (db m86428) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The E. L. Posey Parking Lot
This site, known as “Posey’s Parking Lot,” served the black community as one of two major transportation centers during the Montgomery Bus Boycott. Mrs. Rosa Parks’s December 1, 1955 arrest following her refusal to surrender her seat at . . . — Map (db m71261) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The First Offices of the Confederate Government
Here were located The First Offices of The Confederate Government From Feb. 22, 1861 To May 21, 1861. Secondary marker This . . . — Map (db m104718) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The First White House of the Confederacy
On this site stood the First White House of the Confederacy William Sayre built his townhouse here between 1832 and 1835. On February 21, 1861, the provisional Confederate Congress leased it for the Executive Residence. President Jefferson Davis . . . — Map (db m62748) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 8 — The Five Points Area: A Unique Blend of Communities in 1965Selma to Montgomery National Historic Trail
Located at the hilltop overlooking Downtown Montgomery, Five Points is an intersection of history and humanity. Here the historic black communities of West Montgomery meet the Cottage Hill neighborhood featuring Montgomery's most preserved . . . — Map (db m91734) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The Frank M. Johnson, Jr. Federal Building and US Courthouse
Side 1 Named in honor of Judge Frank M. Johnson, Jr. (1918-1999), who served here as U.S. District Judge from 1955-1979, as U.S. Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit July 12, 1979 - October 1, 1981, and . . . — Map (db m71266) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The Hon. Rufus A. Lewis1906 - 1999
Lewis began an earnest voting rights drive in the early 1940s. Credited with registering 4 generations of Montgomery voters. He established Citizenship Schools that tutored prospective black voters to fill out the literacy text, a barrier before the . . . — Map (db m86429) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The Jackson-Community House/The Montgomery City Federation of Women’s Clubs
(side 1) The Jackson-Community House In 1853, Jefferson Franklin Jackson, a native Alabamian and U.S. Attorney for the Alabama Middle District, built this two-story clapboard home originally with a dogtrot pattern. A Whig Party . . . — Map (db m71236) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The Lightning Route / Central Bank Building
The Lightning RouteIn 1886, Montgomery became the first city in the Western Hemisphere to convert an entire street railway system to electricity. The Capital City Street Railway Co. initiated electric trolley service on one mile of the street . . . — Map (db m86468) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The Montgomery Slave Trade/Warehouses Used in the Slave Trade
Side 1 The Montgomery Slave Trade Montgomery had grown into one of the most prominent slave trading communities in Alabama by 1860. At the start of the Civil War, the city had a larger slave population than Mobile, New Orleans, or . . . — Map (db m70715) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The Montgomery Theater
On a wall in this building, "The Montgomery Theater" Dan Emmett first inscribed the score of Dixie for his minstrel orchestra. H.F. Arnold arranged it for band music and used it at the inauguration of Jefferson Davis President of the Confederacy. . . . — Map (db m36574) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The Moore-Tyson-McPhillips HomeHelen Keller Frequently Visited Here
On April 22, 1908, the Cloverdale Company issued the original deed on this lot to Cloverdale Homes, a development company. On April 19, 1909, Cloverdale Homes deeded the property to its original occupant Louis H. Moore, a local banker, and his . . . — Map (db m69186) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The National Memorial for Peace and Justice
In the 17th and 18th centuries, 12 million African people were kidnapped, chained, and brought to the Americas after a torturous journey across the Atlantic Ocean. Nearly two million people died during the voyage. The labor of enslaved black people . . . — Map (db m118044) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The Selma to Montgomery Voting Rights MarchLed by Martin Luther King, Jr.
Ended at the foot of the Capitol steps on March 25, 1965 Here Dr. King addressed 25,000 people "I believe this march will go down as one of the greatest struggles for freedom and dignity in the nation's history." . . . — Map (db m80847) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The Transatlantic Slave Trade
The Transatlantic Slave Trade killed millions of African people. Men, women, and children were kidnapped and taken in chains to the Americas to create wealth for Europeans. For over two centuries, enslaved black people in the United States were . . . — Map (db m118041) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The Wharton-Chappell House / Riverside HeightsMontgomery County
The Wharton-Chappell House The Wharton Chappell House is one of Montgomery's last pre-Civil War cottages. This structure occupies the site of General John Scott's 1817 pioneer settlement, "Alabama Town" which was founded upon a Creek Indian . . . — Map (db m131541) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Thompson MansionCirca 1850s
An elegant blend of Greek Revival and Italianate architectual styles, the Thompson Mansion reflects the aesthetic and economic highs of the 1850s. The symmetrical layout of the house with entrances on all four sides features interior cross hallways . . . — Map (db m71400) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 11 — Thousands Protest at the Seat of GovernmentSelma to Montgomery National Historic Trail — Dexter Avenue —
On Thursday, March 25, 1965, the Selma to Montgomery marchers left St. Jude and continued through the streets of Montgomery, the crowd swelling in numbers as they approached Court Square. By the time they reached Dexter Avenue, a crowd of more . . . — Map (db m91322) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Thunderbird Park
Dedicated by the people of Montgomery to the skilled pilots -- past, present and Future -- who risk and give their lives to demonstrate the capabilities of air power to the American people. The Thunderbirds: the Air Force's Ambassadors in Blue . . . — Map (db m64429) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — To the Memory of General Marquis De La Fayette
In grateful recognition of his valiant service and in commemoration of the one hundredth anniversary of his visit to our city — Map (db m36508) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Train Shed 1897National Historic Landmark
. . . — Map (db m94031) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Tribute to Montgomery's "Foot Soldiers"
The ten bronze roundels displayed on this wall are a tribute to the "foot soldiers" who toiled for 382 days during the Montgomery Bus Boycott of 1955 and 1956. The roundels depict individuals who were involved in, and events that occurred . . . — Map (db m91276) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church
Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized in 1918 at this location by ministers of what later became the American Lutheran Church under whose auspices the congregation organized a day school on the property across the street. That school . . . — Map (db m86469) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Union Station & Riverfront Park
Transportation center of Montgomery located in this area for many years. First steamboat, the "Harriet," landed nearby 1821. City wharf constructed at landing place 1823. First railroad, Montgomery & West Point R.R., developed ca. 1840. By 1900 most . . . — Map (db m86470) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — United States Flag Raised Over Alabama CapitolApr. 12, 1865
MG J.H.Wilson’s Cavalry Corps raised U.S. flag over Alabama’s and the Confederacy’s first Capitol on 4/12/65, three days after Lee’s surrender at Appomattox. Wilson had defeated LTG N.B. Forrest’s depleted and vastly outnumbered troops at the . . . — Map (db m86471) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 'Washington' Elm Tree
Washington took command of the American Army under grandparent of this elm Cambridge, Mass., July 3, 1775 ———— Raised and given by Maryland D.A.R. and Alice Paret Dorsey as part of 200th . . . — Map (db m94934) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — William C. Oates
Born November 30, 1833, Died September 9, 1910. Born in poverty, Reared in adversity, Without educational advantages, Yet by honest individual effort he obtained a competency and the confidence of his fellow man, . . . — Map (db m95343) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — William Lowndes Yancey
In the house just north William Lowndes Yancey Statesman, Orator, Secessionist, Confederate Diplomatic Commissioner Died July 28, 1863 — Map (db m71364) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — World War I Memorial
This memorial was dedicated on April 6, 1918. After a parade through downtown Montgomery by 30,000 predominately Ohio troops stationed at nearby Camp Sheridan. The original flagpole was purchased with the contributions of the school . . . — Map (db m74270) WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pike Road — Antioch Baptist ChurchMount Meigs, Alabama
Organized on June 5, 1818, the Antioch Baptist Church at Mt. Meigs was the first church of any denomination established in Montgomery County. Rev. James McLemore was its founder and first pastor. Antioch, like most churches in the county, had both . . . — Map (db m72011) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pike Road — Chantilly Plantation
Chantilly Plantation was purchased in 1832 at public outcry by Dr. Thomas Burge Taylor of Columbia, SC as a wedding gift for his bride, Harriott Pinkney Raoul. John Ashurst, its original owner, had moved further west. Harriott, a French woman, . . . — Map (db m91529) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pike Road — Georgia Washington School
Miss Georgia Washington founded the Peoples Village School for black students on this site in 1893. Georgia Washington was born a slave November 23, 1851 in Virginia. As a student at Hampton Institute, Virginia, she met Dr. Booker T. Washington who . . . — Map (db m72010) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pike Road — Grace Episcopal Church
In the late 1850s the cluster of Episcopal families around Mt. Meigs undertook to build a church and engaged Pennsylvania architect Joseph W. Pierson to prepare the plans. The plans were submitted in April 1861, but due to the hardships caused by . . . — Map (db m72012) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pike Road — Lucas Hill CemeteryCirca 1816
The Founders of The Waters relocated and restored this historic cemetery in May 2005. The original cemetery site, located along the Old Federal Road beyond the boundary of the Creek Indian lands at Line Creek, had fallen into ruin due to years of . . . — Map (db m72015) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pike Road — Marks HouseCirca 1825
Built by William Matthews Marks, who immigrated from Oglethrope County, GA, on acreage purchased from the U.S. land office in Cahaba, AL for $1.25 per acre. Foundation is pegged-together heart pine; framing is 3" by 9" timbers; mantles, dados, . . . — Map (db m86472) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pike Road — Pike Road School
Montgomery County's first school to consolidate rural, one-room school houses into grades one through twelve opened November 11, 1918. The school was built by the Montgomery County Board of Education on 30 acres of land at a cost of $40,000 with . . . — Map (db m72017) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pike Road — Ray CemeteryEst. 1849
John W. Ray, his wife, Martha; their infant son; and her fifteen-year-old brother, James R. Conyers, moved to Mt. Meigs from Greene County, Georgia. He and his older brother, Isaac Ray, owned extensive landholdings along Vaughn and Taylor Roads. . . . — Map (db m86473) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pike Road — Taylor Field
Montgomery's first military flying installation was established 200 yards south of this spot in November of 1917. The facility was named for Captain Ralph L. Taylor, who was killed in an airplane crash at Mineola Field, New York in August of 1917. . . . — Map (db m86474) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pike Road — The Oaks Plantation
House built ca. 1830s by Alexander Carter on small land holding. Increasing fortunes led to a 1780-acre diversified and innovative plantation. Oak trees planted on either side of front drive led to its name. During WWII, an auxiliary landing strip, . . . — Map (db m72014) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pike Road — Town of Pike Road Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to all who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America Never to be forgotten for giving the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom Duty Honor Country — Map (db m86475) WM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pintlala — 5 — Federal Road, 1805,
Federal Road, 1805, between Milledgeville, Ga. and St. Stephens, Ala. crossed here. Manac's Tavern was two miles west. — Map (db m39770) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pintlala — Pintlala Grange Hall / Grange Hall School
(Side 1) Pintlala Grange Hall The National Grange of the Patrons of Husbandry was organized in 1867 to provide economic, social and cultural improvements for farmers and their families. Pintlala's Grange Hall was erected circa . . . — Map (db m71433) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pintlala — Pintlala School
Opened in 1923 to consolidate a number of one-, two-, and three-teacher institutions in southwestern Montgomery County including Hope Hull, LeGrand, Mt. Carmel, Grange Hall, Snowdoun, Bethlehem, Fleta, Sankey, and Tabernacle. W.F. Feagin served as . . . — Map (db m71432) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pintlala — The Bethel Cemetery
Bethel Cemetery was constituted Feb 13, 1819 and located on Federal Rd. Bethel Church was 1 of 4 churches in the Alabama Baptist Association which was formed on Dec. 13, 1819. On July 22, 1837, the church became the object of a major split in . . . — Map (db m71430) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Pintlala — The Federal Road / Manac's Tavern
Side 1 The Federal Road The 1803 Louisiana Purchase acquired 828,000 sq. mi. for the U.S., doubling its size. The Federal Road was built to provide a shorter route from Washington to New Orleans and the new territory. The Treaty . . . — Map (db m71535) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Waugh — Lucas TavernCirca 1818
Stood 2800 feet north of this point, just west of Line Creek on the Federal Road. Moved to Montgomery in 1978 to serve as the Visitor and Information Center for the Old North Hull Historic District, it is the oldest remaining building in Montgomery . . . — Map (db m60906) HM

315 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 315 were listed. Previous 200
Paid Advertisement