Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Rutherford County North Carolina Historical Markers

 
Barbara T. Meliski Park Marker image, Touch for more information
By Marsha A. Matson, December 25, 2015
Barbara T. Meliski Park Marker
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Chimney Rock — Barbara T. Meliski ParkA Gathering Place
This park is dedicated to Barbara T. Meliski who served on Chimney Rock Village Council as Mayor Pro Temp from the date of incorporation in July 1991 until 2005, and as Mayor from 2005 until her retirement from office in November 2015. A passionate . . . — Map (db m92054) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Chimney Rock — O 82 — Chimney Rock
Granite monolith. Site acquired by Lucius Morse in 1902. Developed into tourist attraction. State park, 2007. One mi. S. — Map (db m81486) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Chimney Rock — Hickory Nut GorgeFrom Raiders to Pursuers — Stoneman's Raid
(Preface): On March 24, 1865, Union Gen. George Stoneman led 6,000 cavalrymen from Tennessee into southwestern Virginia and western North Carolina to disrupt the Confederate supply line by destroying sections of the Virginia and Tennessee . . . — Map (db m12890) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Cliffside — Get Up Bell
In the early 1900's when Cliffside Mill was built, a bell tower was erected to house this bell. It towered above the mill and looked out over the town. This bell was named the "Get Up Bell" by the people of Cliffside. The bell was rung as follows: . . . — Map (db m14572) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Forest City — O-31 — Elisha Baxter
Governor of Arkansas, 1873-74; Union colonel in Civil War; elected to U.S. Senate, 1864, but not seated. Birthplace stood 4 1/2 miles S.E. — Map (db m14575) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Forest City — First Baptist Church
Organized as Cool Springs Baptist Church in John Bostick home in 1848-met there until 1855, about 500 feet west. First log Meeting House and Cemetery on Vance Street, 1855-1867. Second church house located in present Cool Springs Cemetery, . . . — Map (db m14584) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Forest City — Forest City
1887 Forest City Main Street Historic District National Register of Historic Places The town of Forest City was originally incorporated as Burnt Chimney in 1877. — Map (db m14583) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Forest City — Forest City Confederate Memorial
To the memory of Capt. H.D. Lee and Company D 16th Regiment, who were the first to leave from Rutherford County for the War Between The States June 3rd, 1861, and Capt. J.B. Eaves and Company I 50th Regiment, who left in . . . — Map (db m14582) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Forest City — O 21 — North Carolina / South Carolina
North Carolina Colonized, 1585-87, by first English settlers in America; permanently settled c.1650; first to vote readiness for independence, Apr.12, 1776. South Carolina Formed 1712, from part of Carolina, which was chartered in . . . — Map (db m13046) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Forest City — Old Cool Springs Cemetery1840 - 1873
Site of Cool Springs Baptist Church, now First Baptist Church, organized in John Bostick Home, 1848. First log meeting house 1855-1867. First church and cemetery in settlement. — Map (db m19995) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Forest City — Police Memorial
In Memory of Left Panel Captain Roy Huskey Rutherford County Sheriff's Department Born May 25, 1931 Shot and killed in the line of duty in rural Rutherford County May 31, 1979 Center Panel Trooper R.L. "Pete . . . — Map (db m14580) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Forest City — Rutherford County Memorial
In (sic) memorian Rutherford County boys who made the supreme sacrifice [List of names] — Map (db m14578) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Forest City — Town of Burnt Chimney
Town of Burnt Chimney 1877-1887 Changed to Forest City 1887 100th Anniversary 1977 — Map (db m19971) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Henrietta — Raleigh Rutherford Haynes / Simpson Bobo Tanner1885
are known as the fathers of the textile industry in Rutherford County. Near this site was located the first textile mill. — Map (db m14573) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Henrietta — The High Shoal Ironworks Village
Among early landowners at the Great Fall on Second Broad River were Richard Henderson, a founder of the short-lived state of Transylvania, and Abner Nash, governor of North Carolina in 1780-81. Later owners used the water power of the High Shoal for . . . — Map (db m14574) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Lake Lure — Ayr
In 1879 Frank Reynolds and his family from Ayr, Scotland settled on waters of Cove Creek branch of Buffalo Creek. Here a small town grew up around a tannery operated by Reynolds and his sons, notably Thomas. On June 1, 1880 a post office named Ayr . . . — Map (db m39739) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Lake Lure — Potts Fort-1775-
Named for Captain John Potts who was killed by Indians during the Revolutionary War. This Fort protected early settlers living in the cove near the Indian boundary line. — Map (db m39737) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Logan — O 36 — Brittain Church
Presbyterian, organized 1768. Present building, the third, erected 1852, brick - veneered 1940. — Map (db m20340) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Logan — Fort McGaughey
Near this site stood Fort McGaughey, which was constructed during the Revolutionary War period and named for Alexander McGaughey. — Map (db m20343) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Logan — Rutherford Trace
General Griffith Rutherford stationed at Fort McGaughey, built by the Colonial government of NC in 1765. He left McGaughey September 1780 with Col. James Martin and Col. Martin Armstrong going against the Cherokee Indians beyond the Blue Ridge. The . . . — Map (db m20342) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Ruth — Rev. James Milton Webb
Born October 2, 1802, a Baptist minister; first moderator of the Green River Baptist Association. He built this house known as "The Webb House" in 1825; served in the House of Commons; Clerk of Superior Court; published a Rutherford County . . . — Map (db m20345) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Rutherfordton — O-16 — Bechtler's Mint
Established 1831, four miles N., by Christopher Bechtler. Later stood at this point. Minted more than $2 1/4 million in gold. Closed about 1849. — Map (db m14599) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Rutherfordton — First Baptist ChurchRutherfordton, North Carolina
Established 1851 "the just shall live by faith" — Map (db m19969) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Rutherfordton — O 4 — Gilbert Town
Rutherford County Seat, 1781-85, stood hereabout. Before Battle of Kings Mountain both armies camped nearby. — Map (db m77427) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Rutherfordton — Green River PlantationUnwelcome Guests — Stoneman's Raid
(preface) On March 24, 1865, Union Gen. George Stoneman led 6,000 cavalrymen from Tennessee into southwestern Virginia and western North Carolina to disrupt the Confederate supply line by destroying sections of the Virginia and Tennessee . . . — Map (db m77410) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Rutherfordton — James Adair
In 1787 fifty acres of land were purchased from James Adair for founding of Rutherford Town, which serves as the second county seat. — Map (db m14594) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Rutherfordton — O-37 — Joshua Forman
Founder of Syracuse, N.Y., early advocate of Erie Canal. Moved to N. Carolina, 1829. Land and mining speculator. Grave is 50 yds. east. — Map (db m14598) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Rutherfordton — Rutherford County
Rutherford County, created in 1779, was named for Brigadier General Griffith Rutherford. Griffith Rutherford helped protect Rutherford County through his service as leader of Rutherford Trace in 1776. While serving in the Revolutionary War, Griffith . . . — Map (db m14590) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Rutherfordton — Rutherfordton“ . . . did it no good” — Stoneman’s Raid
(Preface):   On March 24, 1865, Union Gen. George Stoneman led 6,000 cavalrymen from Tennessee into southwestern Virginia and western North Carolina to disrupt the Confederate supply line by destroying sections of the Virginia and Tennessee . . . — Map (db m34075) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Rutherfordton — Rutherfordton Confederate Monument
To the men and women of the Confederacy. "Devotion" — Map (db m14588) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Rutherfordton — St. John's Episcopal Church
Completed in 1847. The oldest original church building standing in Rutherford County. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971. — Map (db m14595) HM
North Carolina (Rutherford County), Rutherfordton — O 10 — Stoneman's Raid
On a raid through Western North Carolina Gen. Stoneman's U.S. Cavalry passed through Rutherfordton, April 21, 1865. — Map (db m19973) HM

32 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.