Corunna Public Schools
The Corunna School District was organized in 1842. Later that year a one-story frame schoolhouse was constructed. A teacher, Miss Cook, was hired in 1843 and received the "unprecedented salary of $2.50 per week" and . . . — — Map (db m119410) HM
This structure was built as a bank in 1903. It replaced an earlier three-story brick building that was destroyed by fire in December 1902. The present building was designed by architect Clare Allen of Jackson and built by Burnett and Baldwin of . . . — — Map (db m119343) HM
Andrew Parsons was born in Hoosick, New York, in 1817. In 1836, he settled in Shiawassee County and at the age of nineteen was elected the first county clerk. After holding a number of county and state offices, Parsons in 1852 became a regent of the . . . — — Map (db m119290) HM
Hugh McCurdy (1829-1908), a native of Scotland, immigrated with his parents to Birmingham, Michigan, in 1837. He first worked as a cooper's apprentice, and after reading the law was admitted to the Michigan bar in 1854 and . . . — — Map (db m119364) HM
Territorial Governor Lewis Cass established Shiawassee County in 1822, but as there were few white settlers in the area, its government was not organized until 1837. Two years later, the county commissioners designated this site in the village of . . . — — Map (db m119307) HM
Durand Railroad History
Durand's first settlers began farming here in 1837. Its first railroad, the Detroit and Milwaukee, arrived in 1856, thirty-one years before the village of Durand was officially organized. The settlement became a . . . — — Map (db m119234) HM
The Detroit and Milwaukee Railway brought Durand its first rail service in 1856. In 1877 the Chicago & North Eastern Railroad reached the town, and in 1885 the Toledo, Ann Arbor and North Michigan (later the Ann Arbor Railroad) added . . . — — Map (db m119232) HM
This clock was built in the early 1950's by John Sandula at the age of 76. John Sandula copied the clock housing and works from his memory of a 156 year old Hungarian Cathedral Clock. It only differs from it's European counterpart by the figures . . . — — Map (db m119378) HM
Born here, above his grandfather's general store, on March 24, 1902, Thomas Dewey is known as one of Owosso's most famous sons. After attending the University of Michigan and Columbia University, he began a long and distinguished legal career. . . . — — Map (db m119418) HM
Elias Comstock was the first pioneer to erect a permanent residence in Owosso. He moved here in 1836. Comstock was a merchant, school teacher, justice of the peace, township supervisor, judge and county clerk. This one-room structure was built for . . . — — Map (db m119456) HM
James Oliver Curwood was born in Owosso on June 12, 1878, and lived here most of his life. Writing and love of nature were his boyhood interests, and by 1908 Curwood was earning his living as a novelist. Most of his stories were adventure tales set . . . — — Map (db m119444) HM
In 1840 thirteen people founded a Presbyterian congregation on the principles of opposition to slavery and "total abstinence from all intoxicating liquors as a beverage." It was the first church established in Owosso. In 1853 the congregation . . . — — Map (db m119496) HM
Herman C. Frieseke House
Herman Frieseke built this house in 1872. The bricks used were from the tile and brick factory that he and his brother, Julius, had opened in 1865 beside the tracks of the Detroit, Grand Haven and Milwaukee . . . — — Map (db m119492) HM
This log house was built by Judge Elias Comstock
Purchased by the D.A.R. and given to the city of Owosso for its perpetuation July 29, 1920
Here six Baptists formed the first church organization in Owosso — January . . . — — Map (db m119532) HM
In 1837 four couples came to this area, known as Maple River, from Oakland County to claim their newly purchased acreage. They were soon followed by a dozen families. These pioneer farmers chose this vicinity because the very fertile land was well . . . — — Map (db m119306) HM
The Steam Railroading Institute is a museum dedicated to educating the public about steam-era railroad technology. This museum is the home of the locomotive used to create the images and sound for the movie " The Polar Express" the Pere Marquette . . . — — Map (db m119406) HM
This boulder marks the site of the first house in Owosso. Built by John D. Overton and David VanWormer. 1835
Mrs. Mary E. Overton Shout, of Corunna, was a baby, living here then. Her brother Nathaniel B. Overton, son of John D. and Mary Ann . . . — — Map (db m119441) HM WM
From left to right...
In 1833, Owosso's founding fathers overlooked this river and envisioned a beautiful city on its banks. Thousands of years before, the river course was formed as the last glaciers retreaed north. The . . . — — Map (db m125711) HM
Position of this monument:
Latitude: N42 48' 42.63"
Longitude: W84 18' 25.41"
Elevation: 885.8 ft.
Established in 2003 by:
Michigan Society of Professional Surveyors
Michigan Department of Transportation
National Geodetic . . . — — Map (db m65123) HM