Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Vernon Parish Louisiana Historical Markers

 
2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment Marker image, Touch for more information
By Lee Hattabaugh, November 17, 2010
2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment Marker
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Fort Polk — 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment
Side A In honor of the troopers and families of the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment for their dedicated service and support to Fort Polk, LA from 1993 - 2005 "Toujours Pret" Side B RCSM OF THE REGIMENT CSM Ron . . . — Map (db m38365) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Fort Polk — 5th Infantry Division (Mechanized) — Operation Just Cause (Dec. 1989)
This monument is dedicated to the soldiers of 5th Infantry Division (Mech) who participated in Operation Just Cause (Dec. 1989) in Panama and to the following soldiers who lost their lives while serving in Panama. CPL Ivan Perez Co B, 4th BN, 6th . . . — Map (db m38357) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Fort Polk — 5th Infantry Division (Mechanized) — Memorial Park
In honor of the soldiers and families of the 5th Infantry Division (Mechanized) for their dedicated service and support to Fort Polk, Louisiana 21 September 1975 to 21 November 1992 RED DEVILS! — Map (db m38361) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Fort Polk — Camp Polk Heritage Families
We will not forget our heritage families for they are unsung heroes who surrendered their homes and way of life for the sake of this nation. — Map (db m38363) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Fort Polk — Fort Polk
In honor of those who served 1940-1990 in appreciation to Fort Polk for its outstanding contribution and service to the defense of our nation — Map (db m38366) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Fort Polk — Global War on Terrorism Monument
The Global War on Terrorism monument honors the Fort Polk soldiers, families and civilians whose support and sacrifice will forever be remembered — Map (db m38362) WM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Fort Polk — Peason Ridge Heritage Families
We will not forget our heritage families for they are unsung heroes who surrendered their homes and way of life for the sake of this nation — Map (db m38364) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Fort Polk — Second Brigade Soldiers
"In memory of Second Brigade soldiers who have lost their lives while faithfully serving their country. Their lives were characterized by integrity, courage, dedication and patriotism. These soldierly qualities earned them the respect and admiration . . . — Map (db m38359) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Fort Polk — The Seventh Armored Division — From the beaches to the Baltic
Activated at Camp Polk 1 March 1942 Northern France Rhineland Ardennes Alsace Central Europe Belgian Fourragere Home Station Fort Polk Presented by the Seventh Armored Division Association in honor of those who gave their lives in the service of . . . — Map (db m38360) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Leesville — 1 — Burr Ferry
(center panel) A Back Door of the United States Throughout its history, Burr Ferry has stood as an important location in western Louisiana. Many Texas cattlemen relied on Burr Ferry to cross the Sabine river in order to drive their . . . — Map (db m109522) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Leesville — Burr's Ferry Earthworks — 1863~1864
On July 2, 1863 during the Red River Campaign, Confederate Major General John Bankhead MacGruder issued orders that East facing fortifications be built in 3 locations along the Sabine-Niblett's Bluff, Burr's Ferry, and Logansport. Constructed first . . . — Map (db m109407) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Leesville — Dreamland Theatre — Circa 1915
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m38332) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Leesville — First National Bank — Circa 1907
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m38331) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Leesville — Great Louisiana Maneuvers
The United States Army GHQ (General Headquarters) Maneuvers of 1941, were the largest training exercises ever conducted by the U.S. Army. From the maneuvers, the U.S. learned valuable lessons in military strategy which would help it succeed in W.W. . . . — Map (db m38333) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Leesville — Kansas City Southern Railroad Depot
The Mission Revival style Kansas City Southern Depot opened in 1916. It symbolizes the great Vernon Parish lumber boom of the early 20th century. Closed in 1968, Kansas City Southern leased the Depot to Vernon Parish. Placed on the National Register . . . — Map (db m38334) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Leesville — Merchants & Farmers Bank — Circa 1928
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m38335) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Leesville — National Hotel — Circa 1907
Lee and Syril Eissman Building has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m38330) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Leesville — Nichols-Howerton Building
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m38336) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Leesville — Pioneer Park — Museum of West Louisiana
Is dedicated to the pioneers of Vernon Parish, their descendants and to all people of West Louisiana. November 16, 1993 — Map (db m19020) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Leesville — Saint Michael The Archangel Catholic Church 1913
Construction on the first Catholic Church in Leesville was begun by Father Q. Vanderburg in 1913. The church was blessed by the Right Reverend Bishop Cornelius Van de Ven on April 26, 1914. The first resident administrator was The Reverend Dennis A. . . . — Map (db m86791) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Leesville — Sgt. Abe Allen — 1896-1941
Only soldier from Louisiana to serve under General John J. Pershing's "One Hundred Heroes" in World War I, Company B, 28th Infantry. Received Distinguished Service Cross and the Distinguished Service Medal. — Map (db m86665) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Leesville — The Leesville Hotel — Circa 1907
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m38337) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Leesville — The Lyons Building — Circa 1907
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m38338) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Leesville — The Nona Mills Lumber Company
Organized in 1898, the Nona Mills Lumber Company of Nona, Texas established a saw mill at Leesville in 1899. Company officers were Pres. F.L. Carroll, Vice Pres. G.R. Ferguson, Sec. Treas. J.N. Gilbert, and Asst. Treas. L.B. Pikin. Serviced by its . . . — Map (db m38340) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Leesville — The Red Hound Bar — Circa 1917
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Originally a U.S. Post Office, this building later housed the Red Hound Bar, which opened in the 1930's. During the Great Louisiana . . . — Map (db m38343) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Leesville — The Vernon Bank
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Established in 1899 as the "Bank of Leesville" on this site. The first bank in Leesville/Vernon Parish. Founded by Mr. George R. Ferguson . . . — Map (db m38344) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Leesville — Vernon Baptist Association
At the 24th annual session of the Sabine Association, Oct. 16, 1871, delegates from the First District petitioned for Letters of Dismission for the purpose of forming the Vernon Baptist Association. Signing for the churches were: Benjamin Franklin . . . — Map (db m109437) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Leesville — Vernon Parish Courthouse — Circa 1910
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m38345) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Leesville — Vernon Parish Founders
John R. Smart "Father of Vernon Parish" introduced act to create parish. Served in Louisiana House and Senate before and after war between the states: signed 1852 Louisiana Constitution. Named Leesville for Gen. Robert E. Lee. A successful planter, . . . — Map (db m38346) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Leesville — Vernon Parish Veterans' Memorial
Dedicated to the glory of God and in reverent memory of those in Vernon Parish who gave their lives in service for their country. — Map (db m38347) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Leesville — Wolf Rock Cave
Rivers & streams flowing across broad coastal plains 24-30 million years ago (during the Oligocene period) deposited sediments making up the Catahoula Formation. The Catahoula formation, found in Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas, consists of . . . — Map (db m126069) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Pitkin — Old Confederate Military Road — 1862-1865
In 1862, when Federal troops captured New Orleans and blockaded the mouth of the Mississippi River, Confederate forces under Maj. Gen. Richard Taylor established headquarters in central Louisiana where they successfully stopped Maj. Gen. . . . — Map (db m125181) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Rosepine — Rosepine, Louisiana
Incorporated December 24, 1902 by proclamation of Governor William Wright Heard. Town established on Sections 3 and 4 of Township 25, Range 9W. During the Vernon Parish lumber boom, Rosepine consisted of a school, drugstore, barbershop, two . . . — Map (db m109439) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Sandy Hill — Civilian Conservation Corps
CCC planted these slash pine in 1939 in Kisatchie National Forest. CCC reforestation and construction of dams, roads, fire towers and recreation areas (1933-42) contributed to a rebirth in Vernon Parish's forest industry. — Map (db m125536) HM
Louisiana (Vernon Parish), Sugartown — Talbert-Pierson Cemetery — 1889
Established by members of the Talbert and Pierson families, pioneers who first settled in the area in the 1860's. Thirteen graves are covered with unique grave houses. The origins of grave houses are uncertain-some tracing the beginnings to European . . . — Map (db m86790) HM

35 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.