Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Algiers, Louisiana Historical Markers

 
Algiers Courthouse Marker image, Touch for more information
April 27, 2018
Algiers Courthouse Marker
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), Algiers — Algiers Courthouse
Erected in 1896 To replace the Duverjé Plantation House which served as the courthouse from 1866 until it burned in the great Algiers Fire of 1895.

Barthelmy Duverjé acquired title to the Plantation in 1805 and in 1842 the property was . . . — Map (db m116882) HM

Louisiana (Orleans Parish), Algiers — Algiers' Dry Docks
Andre Seguin built the first dry dock in Algiers in 1819 on land purchased from Barthelemy Duverjé. As the City did not want ship building and repair businesses on their side of the river, those businesses blossomed along this side of the river, . . . — Map (db m116923) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), Algiers — Battle of New Orleans West Bank
Here on the Jourdan Plantation American Forces under General David Morgan defended the west side of the Mississippi River while General Andrew Jackson defended the east side on January 8, 1815. The War of 1812 ended with the American victory in . . . — Map (db m116881) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), Algiers — Dr. Lord Beaconsfield Landry
Lord Beaconsfield Landry, also known as L.B. Landry, was born March 11, 1879 in Donaldsonville, Louisiana. At a very early age, he was sent to Gilbert Academy, which was at that time located in Baldwin, LA. He later attended Fisk University, where . . . — Map (db m116883) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), Algiers — Duverjé Plantation
Algiers Point evolved from the plantation of Barthelemy Duverjé. The Duverjé home was built c. 1812-16, and served as the Algiers Courthouse from 1866. It was destroyed by the Great Fire of Algiers in 1895 and replaced by the current structure in . . . — Map (db m117057) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), Algiers — Enslaved Africans
In the 1720s, at a spot of land now eroded by the river, stood the barracks where enslaved Africans from the Senegal-Gambia region, were held before being ferried across the river to the slave auctions. Early Algiers Point was also the home of the . . . — Map (db m116900) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), Algiers — Historic Algiers
Algiers, established in 1719, is the second oldest neighborhood in New Orleans. Originally called the "King's Plantation," it was first used as the location for the city's powder magazine, a holding area for the newly arrived African slaves, and . . . — Map (db m116901) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), Algiers — Louis D. ArmstrongAugust 4, 1901 - July 6, 1971
Louis Armstrong, adoringly referred to as “Satchmo," was born August 4, 1901, but chose to celebrate his birthday on July 4th,America's Independence Day.

He was the first important jazz soloist and became its most influential musician. As . . . — Map (db m116892) HM

Louisiana (Orleans Parish), Algiers — Southern Pacific Railroad Yards
Located between Atlantic and Thayer Sts., established in 1853, the S.P.R.R. Yards extended back 22 blocks, at its peak employed 4,000 men. Trains would board a ferry to cross the river and continue their journey from the Pacific coast up the . . . — Map (db m129503) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), Algiers — The Great Fire of Algiers, 1895
In the early morning hours of October 20th, 1895, on the 300 block of Morgan St., near the corner of Bermuda St., a fire started that would eventually destroy about 200 homes and businesses in ten blocks between Morgan, Lavergne, Alix and Powder . . . — Map (db m116888) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), Algiers — The Naval Station
Although this land was purchased by the U.S. Government from Jean P. Dupiere in 1849 as a proposed Navy Yard, a U.S. Naval Station was not formally established here until 1901 when a dry dock arrived. More land was purchased from the Olivier, . . . — Map (db m129683) HM
Louisiana (Orleans Parish), Algiers — Verret Plantation
The sugar plantation (c.1800) of Furey Verret stretched along the river road from around Vallette St., to the Naval Station, and included the Verret Canal, where Whitney Avenue now stands. Jean Lafitte, the pirate, traveled on this canal between . . . — Map (db m116886) HM

12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement