After Novato was incorporated in 1960, city officials found a ready-made City Hall in the former Presbyterian Church, built in 1896. The City purchased it in 1962; it was repainted dark red with white trim and in 1963, it reopened as Novato's City . . . — — Map (db m102618) HM
This two-story, clapboard structure, known as the Burdell Frame House, was built in 1874 for Mary Burdell’s cousin, Mary Joynsen.
Originally a rectangle building, it has been modified with a projecting, two story addition on the end facing . . . — — Map (db m13246) HM
A major significant change occurred in 1911 when James Burdell (Galen and Mary’s son) hired a contractor for the then princely sun of $15,000 to expand and convert the wood frame building into a 26-room mansion. Interior fireplaces and a second . . . — — Map (db m12176) HM
A shingled shed now protects the ruins of Camilo Ynitia’s adobe home from further weather damage. Dating from the late 1830’s this structure represents a period when the Wiwok were abandoning their traditional dwellings in favor of more sheltered . . . — — Map (db m12105) HM
Antone (Tony) V. DeBorba opened Deborba's Inn on Grant Avenue in 1906. When Prohibition forced him out of business, he leased a building at Grant and Highway 101 (now Redwood Blvd.) and opened "DeBorba's Stage Station," a favorite respite for . . . — — Map (db m102600) HM
In 1890, Dr, H.J. Conradt purchased two lots, where this building now stands, for $10 from the Home and Farm Company. In 1898, when John (Jean) Loustaunau decided to build his own hotel, saloon and restaurant, he and his wife purchased the lots from . . . — — Map (db m102596) HM
Stephen Porcella's Fashion Shop - a blacksmith shop and iron works - was built circa 1893. This business was named the "Fashion Shop" because Porcella would "fashion a tool to suit the customer."
Pprcella made and repaired iron equipment, built . . . — — Map (db m102597) HM
In 1852, Camilo Ynitia sold most of the Olompali land grant for $5,200 to James Black, Marin County’s Assessor. Eleven years later, Black gave the property to his daughter, Mary, when she married prominent San Francisco dentist Galem Burdell. By . . . — — Map (db m12169) HM
Dedicated to the Memory of
Lloyd Andrews Hamilton
First Lieutenant 17th Areo Squadron
Awarded Distinguished Service Cross
for Extraordinary Heroism in Action at
Varssionagre, Belgium August 18, 1918
Killed in Action
Near . . . — — Map (db m102756) WM
This site is part of Corte Madera de Novato granted by Governor Juan Alvarado to John Martin in 1840. Purchased by Jefferson A. Thompson in 1865. A working ranch and cheese making family of five generations, that continued to make the world famous . . . — — Map (db m78066) HM
Originally this site was occupied by a meat market and the first Novato Bank was housed temporarily in a wooden structure reportedly located on the east side of Grant Avenue. The Novato Bank was built in 1913 by the property owner, Frank Silva. The . . . — — Map (db m102602) HM
The Novato Bank (828 Grant Avenue) was built in 1913 by property owner, Frank Silva. The bank served ranchers, merchants, home builders, and the Novato area.
The adjoining section of the building (826 Grant Avenue)first served as a drugstore when . . . — — Map (db m102561) HM
Originally built in 1896, this was the site of Novato's first Presbyterian Church. The church was built in the Victorian Gothic style of architecture. The building served as Novato City Hall from 1963 until it was closed for safety reasons in 2005. . . . — — Map (db m64860) HM
The Postmaster's House, one of the oldest structures in Novato, was built circa 1850 and was originally located on South Novato Blvd west of Yukon Way. The earliest known occupant was Henry Jones, who began Novato's postal service in 1856 and served . . . — — Map (db m102594) HM
Rancho Olompali was home to three generations of Burdells from 1866 to 1943. For the following five years the new owner, Court Harrington, used the property to raise purebred beef. In 1948, the building was converted to a religious retreat when the . . . — — Map (db m85929) HM
On February 4, 1890, the Sausalito News reported "A.D. Scott will erect a fine store and move his general merchandise business to the town site." Alexander Dill Scott, who emigrated from Nova Scotia, built his store at this location.
The post . . . — — Map (db m102617) HM
Many have come before to this gentle land. Indians, Spaniards, Mexicans, Americans came in succession, each group influenced the land in a different way.
The Coast Miwok lived here for thousands of years, even before the Egyptian pyramids were . . . — — Map (db m85980) HM