Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Towson, Maryland Historical Markers

 
A Romance with Nature: The Falling Garden image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, October 23, 2014
A Romance with Nature: The Falling Garden
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — A Romance with Nature: The Falling GardenGardens and Parterres, ca. 1785-1904 — Hampton National Historic Site —
The jewel of Hampton’s cultural landscape and the focus of Ridgely family horticultural pursuits for 150 years is the Falling Garden. Constructed under Charles Ridgely “The Builder” in the 1780s, the Falling Garden was one of the . . . — Map (db m78625) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — A Slave VillageHampton National Historic Site
Slave/Workers Quarters, ca 1855 To our eyes, the stone facades and decorative woodwork that adorn these buildings seem at odds with their use as slave quarters. But the entire farm site—based on a popular European architectural concept called . . . — Map (db m78687) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — AbisadoThe Court House Cannon
. . . — Map (db m109154) WM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — Baltimore County Courthouse
Separation of Baltimore City and County effective July 4, 1851. Towsontown was chosen as County Seat by popular vote February 13, 1854. The Courthouse of local limestone and marble was completed in 1855 at a cost of $30,000. Enlarged in . . . — Map (db m36852) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — Baltimore County Courthouse
Separation of Baltimore City and County effective July 4, 1851. Towsontown was chosen as County Seat by popular vote February 13, 1854. The Courthouse of local limestone and marble was completed in 1855 at a cost of $30,000. Enlarged in . . . — Map (db m36853) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — Captain Charles Ridgely1733-1790 — Patriot —
Builder of Hampton and owner Northampton Iron Works. Supplier to American Revolutionary Forces. — Map (db m78632) HM WM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — Corn CultureHampton National Historic Site
Mule Barn, constructed 1855, Corncrib, ca. 1845, destroyed by fire, 1989.

There were lots of mouths to feed on a large plantation like Hampton and this made corn an all-important crop. Hard or “dent “corn was used as feed for . . . — Map (db m78633) HM

Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — Domestic Service Buildings-Behind the Big HouseHampton National Historic Site
At Hampton’s height, hundreds of workers labored to make this a self-sufficient and profitable estate. Slaves and servants who worked in the mansion carried out their daily chores in this yard and also had living quarters in this area (see . . . — Map (db m78624) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — Epsom Chapel
Built 1839 and located just West of this marker on land donated by Henry B. Chew of Epsom Estate, the chapel served Towsontown both as church and community center. The chapel was first used by Methodists and became the cradle of Methodism in Towson. . . . — Map (db m36851) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — Hampton1783-1790 — Baltimore County —
. . . — Map (db m2078) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — Hampton: An American StoryHampton National Historic Site
This land was once part of one of the largest estates in Maryland---and one of the most impressive. The Ridgley family owned Hampton Plantation for more than 200 years, and their home and many farm buildings have changed little since the mid-19th . . . — Map (db m78481) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — Hometown HeroStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
Nathan Towson, born 1784 in the area named for his family, served in the U.S. Army for 42 years. He enlisted in 1812 when war with Britain seemed imminent. As an artillery captain, Towson distinguished himself in nearly every major engagement on the . . . — Map (db m83413) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — Hunt’s ChurchA Methodist Society Established in 1773.
First meeting house built on this site 1780. Previously met in Phineas Hunt’s House, still standing on Joppa Road. His grave is nearby. The present church building was erected in 1874. — Map (db m2281) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — Ice Cream in July-Icehouse, ca.1790Hampton National Historic Site
Having ice in summertime was a real luxury in the early 19th century. Storing enough ice to last throughout the summer was a true feat. A large icehouse was a sign of wealth, and originally there were two such structures at Hampton. Although it . . . — Map (db m78487) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — In MemoriamThe Ridgely Family Cemetery — Egyptian Revival Vault, 1815 —
This gated cemetery, where generations of Ridgleys are buried, is still in use by the family. Feel free to enter and walk among the tombstones and monuments, but show proper respect. Notice the family vault at center, the names and inscriptions on . . . — Map (db m83524) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — Knettishall
This community of 365 homes is named after a quaint town in England, its streets after surrounding villages, in recognition of the villagers’ kindness to the 388th Bomb Group, USAAF, during World War II. — Map (db m110239) WM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — Nicholas Ruxton Moore1736–1816
He commanded “Baltimore Light Dragoons” during the Revolution, attaining rank of Captain. He took active part in suppression of Whiskey Rebellion in 1794, and that year purchased “Bosley’s Adventure,” a 350 acre farm west of . . . — Map (db m2283) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — Oranges in JanuaryHampton National Historic Site
Orangery, originally constructed ca. 1830s. Destroyed by fire 1926, reconstructed 1976. It was not possible to grow fresh oranges and lemons’ outside in Maryland, as delicate fruit trees could not survive the winter. The Ridgely family, however, . . . — Map (db m78631) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — Quarters #2 & 3Hampton National Historic Site — circa 1850 —
These two stone buildings, which replaced earlier log structures, housed slaves before the Civil War. After the abolition of slavery, they provided quarters for plantation and farm workers — Map (db m92522) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — Ridgely's PrideHampton National Historic Site
The Mansion, completed 1790. When Captain Charles Ridgely's country neighbors saw him erecting a "palace in the wilderness" in the 1780s, they called it "Ridgely's Folly." The mansion before you, modeled on the great country houses of Britain, was . . . — Map (db m78485) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — The Colored Methodist Protestant St. John’s Chapel of Baltimore County1833
Originally constructed as a log cabin in 1833, St. John’s Chapel and land adjacent thereto served the local black community as a house of worship and burying ground. Services had been held in the present chapel since its construction in 1886. The . . . — Map (db m2286) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — The Home of Governor Augustus W. Bradford
The home of Governor Augustus W. Bradford, which stood on this site was burned July 11, 1864 by Confederate Troops “to retaliate the burning of Governor Letcher’s Home” in Virginia by Federal troops. This was the closest point to . . . — Map (db m115243) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — The Joppa Road
Originally an Indian trail used in 1695 by a troop of Rangers from the Garrison Fort to keep back the Indians. Later the high road to Joppa Town, the County Seat of Baltimore County from 1712 to 1768 and the rival of Baltimore. — Map (db m2302) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — The Lower HouseHampton National Historic Site
Lower House, constructed ca. 1745; with later additions in the 1700s to ca. 1950.

This building, historically referred to as the “Lower House” by the Ridgely family, served a variety of purposes. Originally, Hampton’s first master, . . . — Map (db m78645) HM

Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — The View from BelowHampton National Historic Site
The Hampton Farm, as it might have looked ca.1850-1870.

From this part of the farm, you have an ideal view of the Ridgely mansion. The imposing structure on the hill would have inspired different emotions among the various people on the . . . — Map (db m78685) HM

Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the Citizens of Baltimore County Who Served Their Nation in Southeast Asia 1957 - 1975 In Memory of Those Who Gave Their Lives Harvey C. K. A. Au Charles J. Armstrong Leland Bailey James H. Baker, Jr. Larry M. . . . — Map (db m83691) WM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — War of 1812 Cannon
During the War of 1812, an armory was built near the intersection of Dulaney Valley and Joppa Roads. It was soon abandoned. In the 1830's, Henry Chew built a house on this site and decorated the lawn with a cannon from the deserted armory. The house . . . — Map (db m57136) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — Wartime SupportStar Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812 —
Northampton Iron Furnace, operating from 1761 to about 1830 approximately a mile north of here, played a significant role in the War of 1812. Part of the prosperous Hampton estate, the foundry’s workforce was made up primarily of enslaved . . . — Map (db m83051) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — World War I Memorial
To the sacred memory of the Sons and Daughters of Baltimore County who dying for their country in the World War gave proof undying of patriotism supreme. This symbol of love victorious in death is dedicated by their fellow citizens “Greater . . . — Map (db m126364) WM

29 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement