Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

York County New Brunswick Historical Markers

 
Nellie Cunningham Marker and Donated Land image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., August 18, 2018
Nellie Cunningham Marker and Donated Land
New Brunswick (York County), Canterbury — Nellie Cunningham
On Main Street (New Brunswick Route 122) 0.5 kilometers south of Maple Street (County Route 630), on the left when traveling south.

The ground for this court donated by Nellie Cunningham in memory of her parents William T. and Fannie Cunningham — Map (db m125285) HM

New Brunswick (York County), Canterbury — War Memorial
On Main Street (New Brunswick Route 122) at Union Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street.

Honouring Our Heroic Dead

1914 - 1918 [World War I] Edwin Boyd • James Gould • Perley Graham Thomas Nicholson • Coburn Wright

1939 - 1945 [World War II] Reginald Chase • Claude Derrick • Samuel Dow Clifford Fox • . . . — Map (db m125286) WM

New Brunswick (York County), Fredericton — Alexander "Boss" Gibson(1819-1913)
Near Union Street (New Brunswick Route 105) at Station Road, on the right when traveling south.
English: Lumber and railway baron and generous benefactor, Gibson was a pivotal figure in the economy of the Maritimes at a time of transformation and integration within the national economy. A leading entrepreneur in mid-to-late . . . — Map (db m139997) HM
New Brunswick (York County), Fredericton — Charles Fisher(1808-1880)
Near St. John Street south of Queen Street (New Brunswick Route 102), on the left when traveling south.
English: Born in Fredericton, Fisher practised law before entering politics. Excepting the period 1850-1854 he represented York as a member of the Legislature continuously from 1837 until his retirement in 1868. Entering the . . . — Map (db m139900) HM
New Brunswick (York County), Fredericton — Christ Church Cathedral / Cathédrale Christ Church
On Church Street north of Brunswick Street (New Brunswick Route 102), on the right when traveling north.
English: Christ Church Cathedral, begun in 1845, is one of the best and earliest examples of the Gothic Revival in Canada. Its stone walls, crossing tower and picturesque massing, echoing the internal parts of the church, were . . . — Map (db m139987) HM
New Brunswick (York County), Fredericton — First Ministry of Health / Le Premier Ministère de la Santé
Near St. John Street south of Queen Street (New Brunswick Route 102), on the left when traveling south.
English: The Legislature of New Brunswick, recognizing the growing importance of health as a matter of public concern, established, in 1918, a department of government with specific and exclusive responsibilities in that field. . . . — Map (db m139899) HM
New Brunswick (York County), Fredericton — Fredericton City Hall / L'Hôtel de ville de Fredericton
On York Street just north of Queen Street (New Brunswick Route 102), on the left when traveling north.
English: Built in 1875-1876 to the design of architects McKean and Fairweather, this is the oldest municipal hall in Atlantic Canada still used for civic administration. Its imposing exterior and the many functions it has . . . — Map (db m139800) HM
New Brunswick (York County), Fredericton — Fredericton Military Compound / Le Complexe Militaire de Frédéricton
On Rue Carleton Street north of Queen Street (New Brunswick Route 102), on the left when traveling north.
English: This building is one of four remaining structures of the British establishment which housed the garrison at Fredericton from 1784 until the withdrawal of Imperial troops in 1869. Occupying the area between York and Regent . . . — Map (db m139996) HM
New Brunswick (York County), Fredericton — Legislative Assembly Block / Complexe de L'Assemblée Législative
Near Queen Street (New Brunswick Route 102) just east of St. John Street, on the left when traveling west.
English: The Legislative Assembly Building, built in the Second Empire style with Corinthian features in 1882, together with the Old Education Building (1816, second story 1869) and the Departmental Building (1888), form the seat . . . — Map (db m139856) HM
New Brunswick (York County), Fredericton — Lemuel Allan Wilmot1809-1878
Near St. John Street south of Queen Street (New Brunswick Route 102), on the left when traveling south.
English: Born in Sunbury County, educated at King’s College, and called to the bar in 1832, Wilmot entered politics as a reformer and represented York County in the Legislature (1835-51). A member of the Executive Council . . . — Map (db m139897) HM
New Brunswick (York County), Fredericton — Sir Howard Douglas1776-1861
Near St. John Street south of Queen Street (New Brunswick Route 102), on the left when traveling south.
English: Born in England, Douglas was Lieutenant-Governor and Commander in Chief of New Brunswick (1823-1831). He encouraged agriculture and fostered pioneer work in steam navigation and lighthouse construction. In 1828 he founded . . . — Map (db m139898) HM
New Brunswick (York County), Fredericton — St. Paul's United Church
On George Street just east of York Street, on the left when traveling west.
English: Built in 1886, St. Paul's is a fine example of High Victorian Gothic Revival architecture, fashionable in Canada during the second half of the 19th century. The style is marked by a bold and vigorous approach to design, . . . — Map (db m139980) HM
New Brunswick (York County), Fredericton — St. Peter's Anglican Church and Cemetery
On Woodstock Road (Route 102) 0.5 kilometers east of Springhill Road, on the left when traveling east.
Welcome to St Peter's Anglican Church and cemetery! The church building to your left was first opened for worship late in 1837 - Queen Victoria had just come to the throne the previous June! The nation of Canada had not yet been conceived, the . . . — Map (db m138995) HM
New Brunswick (York County), Fredericton — The 104th Regiment / Le 104e Régiment
On Queen Street (New Brunswick Route 102) just west of Rue Carleton Street, on the right when traveling west.
English: Six companies of this Fredericton-based regiment made a 700-mile, 52-day march to Quebec and Kingston between February and April 1813. The feat was accomplished in the face of hunger, cold and heavy snows, with remarkably . . . — Map (db m139995) HM
New Brunswick (York County), Fredericton — York County Court House / Le Palais de Justice du Comté de York
On Queen Street (New Brunswick Route 102) 0.1 kilometers west of St. John Street, on the right when traveling west.
English: Opened about 1858, this building is the earliest surviving New Brunswick court house constructed of brick. It represents the beginning of the trend toward the widespread use of brick and stone in public buildings in the . . . — Map (db m139799) HM
New Brunswick (York County), Mactaquac — The Village of Jewett's Mills1799-1966
On Route 105 0.5 kilometers north of Route 615, on the left when traveling north.
This commemorative stands on land granted to Daniel Jewett in 1799. Here the village of Jewett’s Mills grew and prospered around a water-powered mill built by Daniel on the Mactaquac Stream. Over the years the mill sawed long lumber, shingles, lath, . . . — Map (db m137469) HM

16 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement