Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Somervell County Texas Historical Markers

 
Campbell Building image, Touch for more information
By Brian Anderson, August 10, 2019
Campbell Building
Texas (Somervell County), Glen Rose — 684 — Campbell Building
On Northeast Barnard Street (State Highway 144) at Walnut Street, on the right when traveling north on Northeast Barnard Street.
Built by T. B. Campbell, M.D., and wife Julia in 1894-95. Native limestone walls are 18" thick; pillars and window sills hand-hewn. Has housed general store, other businesses, telephone exchange, post office. Upper floor used for meetings. . . . — Map (db m138122) HM
Texas (Somervell County), Glen Rose — 1226 — Dinosaur Tracks
On Vernon Street at Elm Street, on the right when traveling south on Vernon Street.
Formed 100,000,000 years ago, tracks of 3 kinds of dinosaurs are preserved in the limestone below Paluxy River. Types include Acrocanthosaurus (a meat-eater), Camptosaurus (plant-eater who left 3-toed bird-like tracks), and Pleurocoelus (a . . . — Map (db m137798) HM
Texas (Somervell County), Glen Rose — 1781 — First National Bank
On Northeast Barnard Street (State Highway 144) at Elm Street (State Highway 144), on the right when traveling north on Northeast Barnard Street.
Hand hewn-native stone structure, built 1896 by A. P. Humphreys, as saloon. Lodge hall upstairs hosted dances, socials, stage shows. First National moved in, 1902, with such customers as Col. Charles Goodnight, trail-blazing cattleman. . . . — Map (db m137838) HM
Texas (Somervell County), Glen Rose — 4977 — Somervell County
On Northeast Barnard Street (State Highway 144) at Elm Street, on the right when traveling south on Northeast Barnard Street.
Named for Alexander Somervell (1796-1854), native of Maryland, veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto, Secretary of War under Texas President David G. Burnet; commanded the 1842 Somervell Expedition seeking to end Mexican invasions of Texas Republic. . . . — Map (db m137836) HM
Texas (Somervell County), Glen Rose — 4978 — Somervell County Courthouse
On Northeast Barnard Street (State Highway 144), on the right when traveling south.
Built 1893. Late Victorian style. Native limestone construction. County was organized in 1875 and named for General Alexander Somervell (1796-1854), Texas soldier, colonist, and statesman. Court was first held in an old . . . — Map (db m138075) HM
Texas (Somervell County), Glen Rose — 14614 — Somervell County Veterans
On Northeast Barnard Street (State Highway 144) at Elm Street, on the right when traveling south on Northeast Barnard Street.
(East Face) In memory of those who gave their lives for their country In memory of veterans of all wars from Somervell County (North Face) Veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of World . . . — Map (db m139289) HM WM
Texas (Somervell County), Glen Rose — 5025 — Squaw Creek Indian Fight, 1864
On State Highway 144 0.4 miles north of Farm to Market Road 200, on the right when traveling north.
Civil War frontier victory, near this site. About 25 raiding Indians jumped a fox hunter, Rigman Bryant, killed him, shot his dog, stole his horse. That afternoon the Indians and stolen horses were seen by a minister, Silas Scarborough, W.C. Walters . . . — Map (db m138121) HM

7 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement