Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

De Soto Parish Louisiana Historical Markers

 
International Boundary Marker and Louisiana/Texas state lines. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, June 28, 2017
International Boundary Marker and Louisiana/Texas state lines.
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Logansport — International Boundary
Original granite block 10' long 9" square marked the United States - Republic of Texas boundary. Dated 1840. Set on April 23, 1841. Only marker of international boundary known to exist within continental U.S. — Map (db m105266) HM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Mansfield — Battle of Mansfield or Sabine Cross Roads — April 8. 1864 — Area of Third Confederate Charge
Maj. Gen Walker, with Waul's and Surry's brigades, passed here parallel to the road during a charge that turned the Federal left flank and gained a position on the road in rear of Federal line. — Map (db m105303) HM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Mansfield — Battle of Mansfield or Sabine Cross Roads — April 8. 1864 — Rail Fence Used as Barricade
Here the Federal line extending from the South turned East along a rail fence forming a V. General Mouton's Division charged this line in the bloodiest part of battle. In this, the first Confederate charge, General Mouton was killed and the gallant . . . — Map (db m105307) HM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Mansfield — Battle of Mansfield or Sabine Cross Roads — April 8. 1864 — Confederate Battle Line at 4:00 P.M.~First Phase of Battle
From this point the line extended about 400 yards Northeast, thence East about a mile. It extended about a half mile South from here. — Map (db m105293) HM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Mansfield — Battle of Mansfield or Sabine Cross Roads — April 8, 1864 — Area of Second Confederate Charge
Randal's Brigade of Walker's Texas Infantry Div. charged across this area traveling parallel to the road, supporting Mouton's Division which made the first charge on Randal's left. — Map (db m105305) HM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Mansfield — Double Churches — 1850 — Historic Site
Historic Site 1850 Double Churches The Dolet Hills or "Double Churches" community was organized by homestead settlers in the 1850's on a late 1700's Spanish Land Grant to Pierre Dolet. The Lord, Griffith and Pace families . . . — Map (db m105342) HM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Mansfield — Las Ormigas Spanish Land Grant — Historic Site — 1795
Historic Site 1795 Las Ormigas Spanish Land Grant Ceded by the Spanish Crown to Jaciento Mora Six leagues square (207,360 acres) Mora Sold this Grant to Samuel Davenport Luther Smith William Barr Edward Murphy . . . — Map (db m105336) HM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Mansfield — Paul Boüet Laffitte — (1746-circa 1815)
The progenitor of the Laffitte family in northwest Louisiana was born in Pouyroquelaure, Gascony, France on March 4, 1746 to Francois Jean Boüet and Marie de Laffitte. He immigrated to Louisiana in 1764 and eventually settled here in the Bayou . . . — Map (db m105228) HM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Mansfield — Texas Monument
Front
Texas Remembers her sons by whose valor and devotion the federal enemy was defeated at Mansfield, April 8, 1864 and thereafter in several bloody engagements driven from the Red River valley. . . . — Map (db m105467) WM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Old Pleasant Hill — Account of the Battle of Pleasant Hill — The Battlefield After the Fight
Front Account of the Battle of Pleasant Hill The Battlefield After the Fight On Sunday morning at daybreak I took occasion to visit the scene of Saturday's bloody conflict and a more ghastly spectacle I have not . . . — Map (db m105410) HM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Old Pleasant Hill — Battle of Pleasant Hill Memorial
In Memory of the Confederates killed in the Battle of Pleasant Hill April 9, 1864 — Map (db m105407) WM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Old Pleasant Hill — Confederate and Union Soldier Memorial
Front In memory of the thousands of Confederate and Union soldiers buried in unmarked graves on this battlefield Rear At Pleasant Hill On the Battle-field at Pleasant Hill, the night . . . — Map (db m105415) WM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Old Pleasant Hill — Dog Trot House
Front This house is the only remaining structure of the original village of Pleasant Hill. It was occupied by the J.W. Elam family after the Civil War. J.W. Elam was wounded in the eastern theater, was home on recuperation leave, and . . . — Map (db m105365) HM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Old Pleasant Hill — Federal Hospital
Pierce and Payne College building used for a Federal hospital to care for soldiers wounded in the Battle of Pleasant Hill was near here. — Map (db m105663) HM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Old Pleasant Hill — Headquarters Department of the Gulf / Headquarters Trans-Mississippi Dept. — (U. S. A.) / Confederate States Army
Front Headquarters Department of the Gulf (U.S.A) Alexandria, LA., April 2, 1864 Maj. Gen. H.W. Halleck Headquarters of the Army Washington, D.C. General: — Our troops now occupy . . . — Map (db m105981) HM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Old Pleasant Hill — Old Pleasant Hill — 1850 — Historic Site
By 1850 Old Pleasant Hill was a thriving community settled by the Blackshear, Jordan, Chapman, Childers and Elam families. Significant structures included the Methodist Church, Pierce-Payne College, Childers Mansion and the Elam House. When the . . . — Map (db m105386) HM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Old Pleasant Hill — Old Pleasant Hill Cemetery
After the Battle of Pleasant Hill many brave men were put to rest her. Some wore gray, some wore blue. — Map (db m105392) HM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Old Pleasant Hill — Pleasant Hill Battle Park
On this site, then the town of Pleasant Hill, on April 9th, 1864 Gen. Richard Taylor with 12,000 Confederates attacked the town, occupied behind log breastworks by Gen. Banks and 25,000 Federal troops. Through the afternoon the battle raged. That . . . — Map (db m105402) HM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Old Pleasant Hill — Pleasant Hill Battlefield — Village of Pleasant Hill — Founded Here — April 1846
Pleasant Hill was occupied by Union armies on April 7, 1864 beginning 3 days of fighting which culminated in the largest battle of the Civil War west of the Mississippi River being fought in and around the village on April 9, . . . — Map (db m105983) HM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Old Pleasant Hill — Road to Cemetery
This road leads to old cemetery where soldiers of both armies who fell in the Battle of Pleasant Hill, are buried. — Map (db m105389) HM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Old Pleasant Hill — Stage Coach Station
The Stage Coach station was at this point, near the center of the Village of Pleasant Hill. — Map (db m105393) HM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Old Pleasant Hill — The Battle of Pleasant Hill — Red River Campaign
Front On this 4 square miles in around the village of Pleasant Hill, approx. 15,000 Confederates under Maj. Gen. Richard Taylor attacked approx. 25,000 Union troops under Maj. Gen. N. P. Banks on April 9, 1864. That was the 3rd day of . . . — Map (db m105670) HM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Old Pleasant Hill — The Old Cistern
Both Gen. Taylor's and Gen Banks' troops obtained drinking water from this cistern while each army occupied Pleasant Hill during the Red River Campaign in April 1864. The stage coach station stood a few feet north of here. — Map (db m105387) HM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Old Pleasant Hill — The Village of Pleasant Hill
Front The Village of Pleasant Hill was founded at this location just inside the DeSoto Parish in 1846. Pleasant Hill was a major road intersection with roads radiating to Mansfield, Natchitoches, Grand Ecore, Ft. Jessup, Many, Red River . . . — Map (db m105673) HM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Old Pleasant Hill — War for Southern Independence — Civil War -- War of the Rebellion — Red River Campaign 1864
Front Battle for Shreveport The Confederate capital of Louisiana had been moved to Shreveport, also the headquarters of the Confederate Trans-Mississippi Department (All of the Confederacy west of the Mississippi River). The Red . . . — Map (db m105977) HM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Old Pleasant Hill — Welcome to Old Pleasant Hill
Front You are standing on the corner of Main and 1st Streets downtown. The stores and shops were mostly to your left and behind you along Main Street. Some were along 1st Street. About 150 feet to your left was 2nd Street etc. Houses . . . — Map (db m105979) HM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Pelican — Army of the Tennessee
Front Brig. Gen. Andrew J. Smith Third Division Sixteen Army Corps Second Brigade 14th Iowa - Lieut. Col. Joseph Newbold 27th Iowa - Col. James I. Gilbert 32nd Iowa - Col. John Scott 24th Missouri - Maj. Robert W. Fyan . . . — Map (db m105357) HM WM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Pelican — Federal Advance — April 7, 1864 — Temporary Federal Hospital
A short distance west of here facing the road, the home of William Robertson was used for the care of Federal Soldiers wounded in a skirmish near by. A mill behind the residence was used to grind grain for soldiers of both armies. — Map (db m105348) HM
Louisiana (De Soto Parish), Pelican — Federal Advance — April 7, 1864 — Wilson's Farm
From this point Gen. Green's Texas Cavalry drove Gen. A.L. Lee's Federal Cavalry back toward Pleasant Hill until re-enforced. Then the Confederates withdrew, skirmishing all the way, to Ten Mile Bayou. — Map (db m105352) HM

29 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.