Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Douglas County Kansas Historical Markers

 
Baker University Marker image, Touch for more information
By Thomas Onions, June 14, 2009
Baker University Marker
Kansas (Douglas County), Baldwin City — Baker UniversityThe First College In Kansas
Erected this building and opened its door for instruction November 22, 1858 Werner Renick Davis, President The trustees realizing their financial inability to construct a building to meet their dreams of the future requirements of the . . . — Map (db m19976) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Baldwin City — 8 — Baldwin
Here, and for the next 300 miles west, Highway 56 roughly follows the old Santa Fe Trail, and frequently crosses it. White settlement began in this area in 1854, the year Kansas became a territory, and in 1855 the town of Palmyra was founded. When . . . — Map (db m20073) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Baldwin City — Battle of Black Jack
(Main Marker): First Battle between Free and Slave States fought on these grounds June 2, 1856 (Secondary Marker): Deeded to Kansas 1917 — Map (db m20050) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Baldwin City — 7 — Battle of Black Jack
This "battle" was part of the struggle to make Kansas a free state. In May, 1856, Proslavery men destroyed buildings and newspaper presses in Lawrence, Free-State headquarters. John Brown's company then killed five Proslavery men on Pottawatomie . . . — Map (db m20059) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Baldwin City — Black Jack Cabin
This replica of a 19th century log cabin was constructed in the fall of 1969 and dedicated in January of 1971. The cabin was constructed for the benefit of the Santa Fe Trail Historical Society for meetings and to display historical artifacts. . . . — Map (db m63701) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Baldwin City — Black Jack Park
South of this park are 18 acres of virgin prairie. Purchased 1967 by Douglas County from Russell Hays for a permanent prairie preserve and historic site. Evidence of Santa Fe Trail plainly visible. Original site of DAR marker was near pioneer . . . — Map (db m20062) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Baldwin City — Ivan L. Boyd Memorial Prairie Preserve
Across the small foot bridge and up the trail is the entrance to a 16-acre remnant of a tallgrass prairie. It is dedicated to Dr. Boyd, who was a biology professor at Baker University, 1941-1982. Dr. Boyd was instrumental in getting the county . . . — Map (db m63702) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Baldwin City — Palmyra
First important repair stop on the Santa Fe Trail Blacksmith~~General Store~~Hotel Well~~Saw Mill~~Post Office Lawyer Settled 1856 Surveyed 1857

The Palmyra Association Donated the Land for Baker University and City of . . . — Map (db m91202) HM

Kansas (Douglas County), Baldwin City — Palmyra Well
This well was hand dug when the town of Palmyra was established in 1857, it served travelers on the Santa Fe Trail, as well as townspeople.

The well is 25 ft in diameter and 56 ft deep and about 17 ft to water. — Map (db m91201) HM

Kansas (Douglas County), Baldwin City — Stony Point Church and Cemetery
Stony Point Evangelical Lutheran Church was established around 1860 by Joseph Eberhart. Church services were held at Stony Point School until the church building was constructed in 1883. The church was disbanded around 1900. The building was placed . . . — Map (db m24024) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Baldwin City — The Battle of Black Jack"Civil War in Kansas!"
"Let not the knives of pro-slavery men be sheathed while there is one abolitionist in the Territory." —Squatter Sovereign proslavery newspaper in Atchison, Kansas Territory, June 10, 1856 On this site at dawn on June 2, 1856, the . . . — Map (db m20051) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Baldwin City — Trail Park
This Angling Road is the Original Santa Fe Trail. Park Area Donated by I. and J. Stickle to Baker University in 1907. D.A.R. Monument Commemorates the Dispersal of Free-State and Pro-Slavery Forces after the Battle of Black Jack. Original . . . — Map (db m20075) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Centropolis — Globe
Santa Fe Trail followed high land to the SW of this marker. Two miles south of here the Marion Town Company laid out the Town of Marion in honor of Gen. Francis Marion, "The Swamp Fox" of Revolutionary War fame. Town well, . . . — Map (db m19729) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Eudora — 4 East 7th StreetEudora City Hall
The current City Hall building was completed in 1955. The first City Hall, which was originally built as a school house in 1860, was also situated at this location until it was moved to 731 Maple Street. The community of Eudora was established . . . — Map (db m76484) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Eudora — 700 Main Street
Completed in 1897, Charles Lothholz was responsible for construction of this building. The original businesses at this location included the Kaw Valley State Bank, a general store and a barber shop. The second story with a 250-seating capacity . . . — Map (db m76474) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Eudora — 701 Main Street
This building, commonly referred to as the Pilla Building, has been an enduring Eudora landmark. Built in 1873, it housed the Pilla General Store until 1929, which was one of the largest and most prosperous businesses in the community. Numerous . . . — Map (db m76486) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Eudora — 707 Main Street
This building was renovated to its current appearance in 1892 when it became home to the Eudora State Bank. This unique building contains a large, ornate metal cornice on its exterior facing Main Street. The Eudora State Bank remained at this . . . — Map (db m76440) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Eudora — 711 Main StreetIOOF Lodge No. 42 Building
This building was constructed in the early 1870's and became home to the Eudora Chapter of the International Order of Odd-Fellows, a fraternal organization first chartered in 1869. As of 2012 the Odd-Fellows continue to own this building and . . . — Map (db m76466) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Eudora — 715 Main Street
This large brick building is perhaps the most versatile on all of Main Street. Constructed in the early 20th century, the building has been used for drycleaners, barber shops, cafes, undertaking services, watch repair shops, jewelers, shoe . . . — Map (db m76467) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Eudora — 719 Main Street
The current structure at 719 Main dates to the early 20th century. In the building's early days, it was used as a barber shop and a furniture warehouse. In the last several decades, the building has been home to numerous restaurants, most . . . — Map (db m76468) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Eudora — 720/722 Main Street
J. A. Seybold was responsible for the construction of the buildings at 720/722 Main Street in 1883. Seybold operated a hardware store here for only a short time. The buildings were next used by W. A. Fuller and his "Yankee" Fuller Hardware Store . . . — Map (db m76473) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Eudora — 724 Main Street
This building was completed around 1915 when the Trefz Variety Store was founded by William Trefz. Carl Trefz later operated the store until 1976. Numerous businesses including hardware stores, antique stores and coffee shops later operated at . . . — Map (db m76471) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Eudora — 726 Main StreetMasonic Doric Lodge #83
This building was completed in 1891 to serve as home for the Eudora branch of the Ancient Order of United Workers (Lodge #112). The Eudora branch of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons (Doric Lodge #83) started to meet at this location in the . . . — Map (db m76470) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Eudora — 736 Main Street
The current building at this location was built in 1917. This building has been home to hardware stores, grocery stores, garages and auto dealers, including Rothberger Motor Auto Sales. Since 2001 the building has been home to Quilting Bits and . . . — Map (db m76489) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Eudora — 800 Main Street
This building's origins date to the early 20th century, although the exterior appearance of the building has since been heavily altered. Numerous meat markets and butcher shops have called this building home, including: The Henry Hagenbuch Meat . . . — Map (db m76488) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Eudora — 806 Main Street
This residence likely dates to the 1860's. James Still, son of Wakarusa Mission (which served the local Shawnee Indians in the 1850's) founder Abraham Still, had his medical office here. In addition to being a doctor, James Still was also a . . . — Map (db m76490) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Eudora — City of Eudora - The Early Years
Shawnee Tribal Leader Paschal Fish and his daughter, Eudora This statue has been created to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the City of Eudora (1857-2007). The statue portrays Shawnee Tribal Leader Paschal Fish and his daughter, . . . — Map (db m76492) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Eudora — Eudora's First BellCity Hall & School
Given by John Landon Sr. Erected here by Boy Scout Troop 64 — Map (db m76475) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Eudora — Shawnee Tribal Leader Paschal Fish and his Daughter, Eudora
This statue was created to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the City of Eudora 1857 - 2007 Jim Brothers, Sculptor — Map (db m76491) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Globe — Santa Fe Trail Crossed Here
. . . — Map (db m19728) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Kanwaka — Coon PointOregon Trail — 1842
A Camping Ground Lecompton Territorial Capital of Kansas 1855-1861 Three miles north — Map (db m50757) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Kanwaka — 40 — Lecompton, Capital of Kansas Territory
In 1855 the new town of Lecompton was named the capital of Kansas Territory. President James Buchanan appointed a governor and officials to establish government offices in Lecompton, and construction began on an elegant capitol building. In the . . . — Map (db m50755) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — 700-702 Massachusetts Street
Constructed in 1912 for Perkins Loan and Trust Company 1912-1914 Kansas Electric Power Company (later Kansas Power & Light) 1924-1960 Douglas County Title Company 1977-1996 — Map (db m76298) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — 746 Massachusetts Street
. . . — Map (db m76187) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — 825-827 Massachusetts Street[Montgomery Ward Building]
. . . — Map (db m76170) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Achning Hardware
This circa 1866 building is reflective of commercial Victorian architecture Location of boot and shoe shop, grocery, agricultural implement dealer, and cigar shop Charles Achning established a hardware store here by 1886. Business retained . . . — Map (db m76171) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Adolph Frederick Rupp
Born in Halstead, Kansas, of German emigrant parents Sept. 2, 1901, he was quite proud that he was a full-blooded German. Rupp graduated from Halstead High School and then attended the University of Kansas where he played basketball under Coach . . . — Map (db m54601) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Anderson Building
Constructed ca. 1866 to house Sutliff Clothier. This typical commercial block held Hutson Bakery 1886-1893, Anderson Confectionary 1893-1913 Facade altered in early 20th century — Map (db m76297) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Arthur C. "Dutch" Lonborg
Three Sport Letterman, All American 1919 Coach at Northwestern University 23 years Helped organize first NCAA Basketball Tournament University of Kansas Athletic Director 1950-1964 Manager of the 1960 U.S. Olympic Basketball Team, Chairman . . . — Map (db m54594) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Buford M. Watson Jr. Park
Buford M. Watson, Jr. was Lawrence City Manager for nearly 20 years until his untimely death on October 25, 1989. During his tenure, accomplishments included the beautification and revitalization of the downtown, numerous public parks and . . . — Map (db m77569) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — California and Oregon Trails Memorial
Beginning in 1849, there plodded up the southern slope of Mount Oread a vast emigration bound for the golden land of California. One branch of the great California and Oregon Trail thus passed over the very ground now part of the university . . . — Map (db m77573) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Citizens Memorial Monument
(Front Inscription): Dedicated to the memory of the one hundred and fifty citizens who defenseless fell victims to the inhuman ferocity of border guerrillas led by the infamous Quantrell in his raid upon Lawrence. August 21st, 1863. Erected . . . — Map (db m20091) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Coffin Sports Complex, Tahoma, and Teacher's Quarters
Coffin Sports Complex was built in 1981. It has an Olympic-size swimming pool, racket ball courts and basketball court. It currently is the home for the American Indian Athletics Hall of Fame. Coffin Complex is named after Tony Coffin, . . . — Map (db m77301) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Dean Smith
Emporia, Kansas is Dean Smith's birthplace. After completing school in Emporia and Topeka, he came to the University of Kansas where he played under Coach Phog Allen. Dean played on the National Championship team, the 1952 team which beat St. . . . — Map (db m54602) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Douglas County Courthouse
Designed by John G. Haskell and Fredrick Gunn in the Richardsonian Romanesque style Constructed by the firm of Cuthbert and Sargent of Topeka, KS 1903-1904 Listed on the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m50843) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Dr. F. C. "Phog" Allen
As a University of Kansas student in 1905, Phog Allen played basketball for the inventor of the game, Dr. James Naismith. His performance produced three Letters from 1905-1907 and earned him a place on the roster of the K. C. Athletic Club. . . . — Map (db m54599) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Dr. James Naismith
Born November 6, 1861 in Almonte Ontario, Canada and died November 28, 1939 in Lawrence, Kansas. Buried in Lawrence Memorial Park. Dr. Naismith invented the game of basketball as a winter indoor sport for the YMCA at Springfield, Massachusetts . . . — Map (db m54545) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — First United Methodist Church
. . . — Map (db m88889) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Forrest "Phog" Clare AllenNovember 18, 1885 - September 16, 1974 — Father of Basketball Coaching
Known as "Phog" for his foghorn umpire calls and "Doc" for his osteopathic skills ("I won more games at the training table than on the sidelines"), Allen was KU's head basketball coach from 1920 until his retirement in 1956. Truly a great . . . — Map (db m54541) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Free State Hotel
This marks the site of the Free State Hotel erected in 1855 by the New England Emigrant Aid Society. Destroyed by Sheriff Jones and his posse May 21, 1856, and rebuilt by Col. Schaler W. Eldridge. Quantrill and his raiders destroyed Lawrence August . . . — Map (db m20397) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Grand Army of the Republic Memorial
This fountain is dedicated by the Woman’s Relief Corps Number 9, Department of Kansas, Auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic as an enduring memorial of perpetual service to the living, in loving remembrance of Comrade Robert S. and Mary J. . . . — Map (db m77863) WM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Haskell Bandstand/Gazebo
The Haskell Bandstand, (now called the Gazebo) was built in 1908 after the previous bandstand was destroyed by a wind storm. Music was an enjoyed student activity. The bandstand was used frequently for concerts in the early days. The bandstand . . . — Map (db m77382) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Haskell Celebration 1926
During the weekend of October 27th to 30th, 1926, Haskell Institute hosted a celebration and dedication to the newly constructed football stadium and Arch. (Donations for the construction of the stadium came from all over Indian Country. Haskell . . . — Map (db m77303) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Haskell Indian Nations University
Haskell Institute circa 1903 The road going into the Haskell grounds, from the left side of picture, is the current Barker Ave. The buildings from left to right are: Hiawatha, Superintendent’s house, Osceola, Sequoyah (far background . . . — Map (db m77318) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Haskell Indian Nations University
This project is dedicated to those who were here first. Haskell Indian Nations University campus is a unique and special place. Please, respect these grounds and buildings as you walk around campus. From 1884-1890, the school’s . . . — Map (db m77379) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Haskell Indian Nations University
The first three buildings on the Haskell grounds are from left to right: Osceola (boy’s dorm), Sequoyah (the schoolroom), Keokuk (girl’s dorm). Location of the original three buildings, overlaid on top of current building locations. The . . . — Map (db m77383) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Haskell Indian Nations University Timeline
Haskell’s destiny in becoming a four-year university for native students has a history to be preserved and shared. In 1890, Haskell Institute became the official name. Several years passed before classes were offered beyond the . . . — Map (db m77381) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Haskell Stadium Memorial Arch
In Honor of the 415 “Haskell Warriors” that served in World War I and in memory of those ‘Warriors’ who made the supreme sacrifice for their country. Rededicated October 13, 2001. 75th Anniversary The . . . — Map (db m77316) WM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Hiawatha Hall
Hiawatha was a legendary Native American leader and co-founder of the Iroquois Confederacy. Depending on the version of the narrative, Hiawatha lived in the 16th century and was a leader of the Onondaga in the New York area. Hiawatha was a . . . — Map (db m77384) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Historic Pinckney Neighborhood
The Pinckney neighborhood at the bend of the Kansas River began in 1854 as part of the original Lawrence townsite. North/South streets to the west of Massachusetts St. were named for states in the order in which they were admitted to the United . . . — Map (db m63895) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — House Building
Built 1858-1860 for Josiah Miller Survived Quantrill's Raid, August 21, 1863 Facade altered 1921 Jacob House and descendants, clothiers, occupied this site 1862-1935 — Map (db m76208) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — John Brown and the Siege of Lawrence, September 14-15, 1856
On the afternoon of September 14th, 1856, the Free State settlement of Lawrence, Kansas Territory was threatened with invasion by an army of 2700 Pro-slavery Missourians under the command of Generals David R. Atchison and John W. Reid. Encamping . . . — Map (db m76325) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — John Speer FarmsteadMurphy-Bromelsick House
Abolitionist John Speer established a farmstead on this site shortly after his arrival in Kansas Territory in September 1854. A newspaper publisher from Pennsylvania, Speer became a part of the struggle to bring Kansas into the Union as a free, . . . — Map (db m37581) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Kansas River Flood Levels
Water Line July 13 '51 Water Line June 5 '35 — Map (db m77155) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Korean War Memorial
This memorial commemorates the conflict that began on June 25, 1950 when North Korean military forces crossed the 38th Parallel and launched a massive invasion of South Korea. Responding to pleas for help by the Government of the Republic of . . . — Map (db m77589) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Langston Hughes and the Carnegie Library
Many Lawrence residents, including perhaps Langston Hughes, spent pleasant hours reading and fostering their love of books in this Carnegie Library. As the famous writer and poet wrote: "...When I was in the second grade, my grandmother took me . . . — Map (db m54572) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Larry Brown
. . . — Map (db m54596) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — 10 — Lawrence
Lawrence was established in 1854 by the Emigrant Aid Company, a New England organization formed to prevent the new Kansas territory from becoming a slave state. When the first legislature enacted the so-called Bogus Laws with severe penalties for . . . — Map (db m20460) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — 9 — Lawrence and the Old Trails
Between Lawrence and Topeka, the Kansas turnpike passes near the route of the old Oregon-California Trail, traveled in the 1800s by explorers, missionaries, soldiers, emigrants in search of land, and forty-niners in search of gold. Fifteen miles . . . — Map (db m103242) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Lawrence City [Carnegie] Library
Constructed 1903-1904 This Carnegie Library housed the Lawrence Public Library 1904-1972 Designed by George A. Berlinghof in the Beaux Arts style Rear addition was a 1937 Works Progress Administration project Andrew Carnegie . . . — Map (db m54570) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Lawrence Masonic Temple
. . . — Map (db m76305) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Lawrence Studio
Constructed late 1860s Alexander Marks, jeweler, was an early occupant This building, now reflective of Mission style, housed dry goods, drugs, and jewelry businesses and several barber shops Alfred A. Lawrence Photography Studio . . . — Map (db m76209) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Lawrence Veterans' Memorial
main marker For God And Country Dedicated to those War Veterans that never returned Picture of American Flag on a flagpole The Five Seals of the Armed Forces of the United States Map (db m21478) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Lawrence Visitor Information CenterWelcome
Welcome to historic Lawrence, Kansas, and its Visitor Information Center in the centuy-old Union Pacific Depot. Lawrence was founded in 1854 by antislavery forces determined to see that the newly opened Kansas territory joined the union as a free . . . — Map (db m50819) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Leo A. BeuermanDistinguished Citizen of Lawrence — 1902 - 1974
"Remember Me - I'm that little Man gone blind. I used to sell Pencils on the street corner." — Map (db m76194) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Liberty Hall
The Herald of Freedom, Abolitionist Newspaper published on this site 1855-56 Site of Liberty Hall, Lawrence's first opera house 1870-1911 The Bowersock Opera House (Liberty Hall), built in 1912 Designed by Samuel B. Tarbet & Co. . . . — Map (db m54573) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Lucy Hobbs Taylor Building809 Vermont Street — Built in 1871

National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m88888) HM

Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Marks Jewelers
This building has housed a variety of commercial enterprises since the mid 1860's including a grocery, clothier, and tobacco shops Sol Marks began operating a jewelry store on this site in 1880 — Map (db m76172) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Miller's Hall
Built for Josiah Miller Free State Party activist and Lawrence's first state senator Construction began late 1850's; partially destroyed during Quantrill's Raid; reconstruction completed 1864 Third floor served as early meeting . . . — Map (db m76296) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Pioneer CemeteryEstablished 1854
This Cemetery, known originally as Oread, was opened in 1854 by the New Englanders who founded Lawrence. Following burials in 1882, Oread fell into disuse. In 1928, the City of Lawrence changed the name to Pioneer Cemetery. The marble obelisk . . . — Map (db m20474) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Ridenour & Baker Building1858-1888
Barteldes Seed Company 1888-1963 One of the first sites rebuilt after Quantrill's Raid in 1863 Interior destroyed by fire 1997 Restored 1997-98 Though modified several times, the Italianate store front retains many original . . . — Map (db m76303) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Round Corner Drug
Building constructed in 1866 to house a drug store founded by B. W. Woodard in 1855 Oldest drug store in Lawrence and Kansas in continuous operation. — Map (db m76185) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Santa Fe Steam Locomotive 1073
Donated in 1955 by A.T.&S.F. Railroad Is a 2-6-2 Prairie type locomotive from 1908 [Retired] 1952. It logged 871,114 miles. — Map (db m76362) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — South ParkEstablished 1854
Historic South Park was the first park of Lawrence and part of the original townsite that was founded in 1854. The park was originally used as a public area to grow crops and graze livestock for the City's residents. It is the most historic park . . . — Map (db m76603) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Spanish-American War Memorial
Erected by Company H 20th Kansas Inft. U.S.V. Eighth Army Corps Spanish-American War 1898 – 1899 — Map (db m77811) WM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Standard Mutual Life Building

The Fraternal Aid Society built a three story building on this site in 1904

Fire substantially destroyed the structure in 1930

Standard Mutual Life Insurance Company reconstructed this Renaissance Revival style building and occupied it . . . — Map (db m88887) HM

Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Tecumseh Hall
Tecumseh Hall was built in 1915 for use as the boys' gymnasium. Today, the first floor has a basketball court and is, also, used for other campus activities and events. The Indian Leader newspaper and Student Activity offices are located in . . . — Map (db m77305) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — The Castle Tea Room
1869 In 1869, General John N. Roberts, a Civil War veteran, and his wife Emily, moved to Kansas and established their business and family in Lawrence. The Robertses [sic] had one daughter, Isabella, affectionately called "Belle." Roberts . . . — Map (db m77559) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — The Douglas County Memorial of Honor
Recognizes the extraordinary sacrifices of ordinary citizens - men and women of Douglas County, Kansas who gave their lives to protect freedom, our community and our way of life. It stands as an eternal symbol of hope, renewal and the indomitable . . . — Map (db m50822) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — The First Lawrence U.S. Post Office
. . . — Map (db m76301) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — The Haskell Cemetery
The Haskell Cemetery has approximately 100 students buried here. The child’s name, tribal affiliation, date of birth and death are engraved on their headstone. Some of causes of death were listed as consumption (Tuberculosis), pneumonia, . . . — Map (db m77300) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — The Original Bandstand
The Original Bandstand was located approximately in this area between the old Winona and Osceola Halls. It was destroyed in a wind storm in 1906 or 1907. — Map (db m77325) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — The Victory Eagle
Erected on the "Victory Highway," U.S. 40, at the Leavenworth / Douglas County Line as a memorial to those from Douglas County who died in World War I Relocated to this site in 1980 Cast under the direction of Dr. Thomas F. . . . — Map (db m77571) HM WM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — The WheatFields Oven
The curved brick wall to your right is the outside wall of our twenty-five ton wood-fired oven. The masonry circle continues inside the bakery. The oven itself is from J. Llopis of Barcelona, Spain, and was built on site by master craftsman Manuel . . . — Map (db m54567) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Trinity Episcopal Church
. . . — Map (db m88891) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Unknown Dead
To the Unknown Dead Union Soldiers Of the Civil War Re-dedicated by the Lawrence Sons of Union Veterans Camp #4 November 2006 — Map (db m20462) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — War Mothers Memorial
[American Indian woman sculpture with eagle feathers attached to United States Armed Forces emblem medallions as well as service emblems on wall behind sculpture] — Map (db m77567) WM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Wiedemann Building
Wiedemann's, a popular candy and ice cream store, operated on this site from 1886-ca.1943 Prominent social center, tea room and dance hall The Jay Shoppe Ladies fashions 1952-1989 — Map (db m76168) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — World War II Memorial Campanile
Free government does not bestow repose upon its citizens but sets them in the vanguard of battle to defend the liberty of every man. [Roll of 277 KU Honored Dead] [Cast bronze door panels, dedicated 1955, read] Achievement • Courage . . . — Map (db m77594) WM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lecompton — Lane University1865-1902
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Rededicated 1982 The Lecompton Historical Society — Map (db m32850) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lecompton — Lecompton Constitution Hall
Has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America — Map (db m32851) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lecompton — Sheriff Samuel J. Jones1827-1885
Samuel Jones was an entrepreneur. He constructed Constitution Hall in 1856 and it is now a National Landmark. He was appointed Sheriff of Douglas County, Kansas, in 1856 by Territorial Governor Daniel Woodson. Sheriff Jones enforced the laws of the . . . — Map (db m119138) HM

102 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.