Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lafourche Parish Louisiana Historical Markers

 
Bayou Heron Graveyard image, Touch for more information
December 25, 2009
Bayou Heron Graveyard
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Chackbay — Bayou Heron Graveyard
Washington Griffin's Cemetery. est. c. 1850, was the first Chackbay cemetery. Acquired by Bayou Heron Graveyard Association in 1883, it became the Grand Bayou, Trosclair, or Rodrigue Cemetery. — Map (db m85063) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Cut Off — Cote Blanche
After the hurricane of Cheniere Caminada in 1893, a group of refugees settled in this area. Because many of them painted their homes white, the settlement became known as "La Cote Blanche," a village of white houses. On this site in 1899, the . . . — Map (db m85055) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Cut Off — Curole House
In 1893, Nicholas Curole built this house at Cheniere Caminada. On Oct. 1, 1893, a hurricane destroyed that community and heavily damaged this house. In 1894 the house was relocated and reconstructed on this site at Cote Blanche as a symbol of the . . . — Map (db m85053) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Galliano — Galliano — Circa 1830's
It is believed that the family of Zenon Cheramie settled on Bayou Lafourche in the 1830's, for Zenon Cheramie's first wife, Delphine Dupre-Terrebonne Cheramie was buried in the settlement of Galliano at the Cheramie Cemetery in 1832. The Onezime . . . — Map (db m92699) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Gheens — Vacherie-Gheens
Claude Joseph Dubreuil, Jr. purchased what is today known as Vacherie-Gheens from the Oucha and Chaouacha Indians in the 1740's for 12 head of cattle. He named it La Vacherie, meaning cattle ranch. His plan was to furnish New Orleans markets with . . . — Map (db m86017) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Golden Meadow — Golden Meadow — Circa 1839
The name Golden Meadow is believed to have come from either the acres of golden rods which bloom in the marshes surrounding the area, or from the expectations of golden returns from the land. Early settlers in the area included Benjamin and Louisa . . . — Map (db m100001) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Golden Meadow — Golden Meadow High School
Built in 1931, this was the first brick school in Lower Lafourche. Earlier students had to attend high school in Cut Off or Larose. Its importance as an educational institution is immeasurable. Many political careers were launched on its steps. — Map (db m92871) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Kraemer — 1860 Schaubhut Family Cemetery
Land purchased from the State of Louisiana June 28, 1860 Cemetery Recorded January 26,1882 Bartlin Schaubhut Sr. Born in Baden Germany June 11, 1806 Died December 1, 1869 Bartlin Schaubhut Jr. Born Baden Germany c. 1828 Died . . . — Map (db m85471) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Kraemer — Bayou Boeuf Veterans Memorial
This memorial is dedicated to the men and women who served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America during times of war and peace. When called upon they responded with dignity, honor and valor. We enjoy freedom today because of their . . . — Map (db m87898) WM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Kraemer — Denise C. Borne School House
In 1983, the State Dept. of Education recognized Bayou Boeuf Elementary's "Little Red School House" as the oldest one-room school house in continuous use in LA. Est. in 1904, building housed grades 1-7. Moved from its original location near the . . . — Map (db m85470) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Labadieville — Naquin Settlement — Established Sept. 10, 1785
Land grant by France to Joseph Jacques Naquin. American patent by order of President James Buchanaan. Recorded 7th June 1858. 6th and 7th generation Naquins on land. — Map (db m92133) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Larose — Larose — Circa 1846
Larose, located at the crossroads of Bayou Lafourche and the Intercoastal Canal, called Canal Harang until the first Post Office was opened around 1890. Was named for Joseph Felicien Larose, a pharmacist who acted as an unofficial Postmaster. A . . . — Map (db m85767) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Larose — Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic Church
This church was founded in the mid-1800's when a small chapel was built at the juncture of Canal Harang and Bayou Lafourche. In 1873 a second church, which would serve the surrounding community of Larose and all of South Lafourche, was erected on . . . — Map (db m85423) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Leeville — Leeville — (Circa 1893)
Originally called Orange City because it was the site of the principal orange orchards of Lafourche Parish. After the "Chenier Caminada" Hurricane of 1893, survivors settled Missville and Cote des Elies. Cote des Elies was renamed Leeville in honor . . . — Map (db m100009) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Leeville — Leeville Cemetery — 1905
On June 8, 1905, during the yellow fever epidemic, three Leeville residents: Joseph C. Picciola, Camille Rebstock and Adrien Lefort Purchased this plot of land from the Martin Family for the Leeville Cemetery Co. for $95. It became a large . . . — Map (db m100120) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Lockport — Bouverans Plantation House
This Creole and American Greek Revival plantation house was built circa 1860 by Pierre Joseph Claudet, who named it for his native village of Bouverans, France. Except for a brief period, the home has been owned by his descendants. Restored by his . . . — Map (db m99979) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Lockport — Holy Savior Cemetery — Lockport, Louisiana
Holy Savior Cemetery was established in 1850 at the site of St. Andre's Chapel, which later became Holy Savior Church. The cemetery is one of the oldest in the southern half of Lafourche Parish. The priests' tomb, located in the center of the . . . — Map (db m86018) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Lockport — Lockport
Ruins of locks not washed away by a crevasse in 1917 are near here for which Lockport is named. An earlier settlement was named Longueville by 1835 when William Fields donated land for a canal later known as the Company Canal which connected Bayou . . . — Map (db m85431) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Raceland — Baudoin - Foret School — 1904-1946
The school was built by local people on land donated by Sylvestre Baudoin and Fergus Foret. It's first teachers were Ida Foret and Winnie Pittman. Other teachers were Edna Ledet, Anita Knoblach, Louise Sevin and Lillian Scott. They taught local . . . — Map (db m81066) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Raceland — Clotilda Plantation
Francis G. Barker, a commission merchant and sugar planter of New Orleans, purchased this site in 1874. His father, Benjamin Barker, came to Louisiana in 1839. Frank L. Barker, Francis' son, built the main house around 1907. The Barkers were also . . . — Map (db m99987) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Raceland — First American Casualty Of WW II — Freddie John Falgout
Seaman First Class U.S. Navy Born August 21, 1916 in Raceland, LA. Killed in the line of Duty by gunfire on the USS Augusta in Shanghai, China in Chinese - Japanese War August 20, 1937 — Map (db m85720) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Raceland — St. Mary's Cemetery
This cemetery was established circa 1797. Its presence preceded the church parish. Many of the early graves were ground burials, which were marked with wrought iron crosses. The St. Mary Pamela Corporation was later formed by the local congregation . . . — Map (db m85757) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Raceland — St. Mary's Nativity Church
The Congregation of the Roman Catholic church of St. Mary Pamela was organized in 1840 to administer a cemetery established here about 1820. Father Charles Menard dedicated the first church under the title of The Nativity of The Blessed Virgin Mary . . . — Map (db m85764) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Acadia Plantation
Originally named Acadie, the name was changed to Acadia in the 1830's. Once owned by Jim Bowie, the hero of the Alamo, whose family owned it from 1827 to 1831. The house was consolidated into one building from two Creole cottages and a shotgun . . . — Map (db m102046) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Allen Chapel AME Church
This first Negro church in Thibodaux was established in 1865 on Coulon Plantation and lated located on Green St. In 1942 the church building was moved to the present site. The first pastor was Rev. F. James. The church was responsible for the . . . — Map (db m85037) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Archibald Mackenzie
Born on Prince Edward Isl., Canada, Mackenzie graduated Queen's College, Kingston, Ontario, with two degrees. He then earned a doctorate with high honors in Divinity and Philosophy at Glasgow University, Scotland. After ordination in the Church of . . . — Map (db m114104) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Battle Of Lafourche Crossing — June 20-21, 1863
On the east side of Bayou Lafourche was fought the most important battle in Lafourche Parish during the War Between the States. On June 20 and June 21, 1863, units of the 23rd Connecticut Volunteers and 25th New York Battery, commanded by Lieutenant . . . — Map (db m85427) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — City of Thibodaux / Ville de Thibodaux
Side 1 City of Thibodaux Incorporated as a town on March 10, 1838. Early records show settlement existed in late 1790's as an important trading post for the Lafourche country. Named for Henri Schuyler Thibodaux (1769-1827), who . . . — Map (db m81071) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Confluence Of Bayous
Near hear was the prehistoric fork of Bayou Lafourche and Bayou Terrebonne. Acadians settled the area in 1785 and were joined by earlier French, German, Spanish and American settlers. The Village of Thibodauxville was started on the high banks of . . . — Map (db m81073) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Edward D. White House
Edward D. White House has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America 1978 Heritage Conservation and Recreation Service . . . — Map (db m92664) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Fayette Clay Ewing
After his migration to Thibodaux from Kentucky in the early 1840s, Ewing practiced medicine with one of the founders of St. John's Episcopal Church, Dr. Thomas Williams. He took over Williams's practice upon the latter's death in 1849. In 1852, . . . — Map (db m113361) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Felix Grundy Winder
Born in Terrebonne Parish, Felix Grundy Winder was a member of a family originally from Tennessee. His mother, Martha Grundy, was a daughter of Felix Grundy, the distinguished Tennessee friend and political advisor of Andrew Jackson and Attorney . . . — Map (db m114170) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Francis Redding Tillou Nicholls
Born in 1834, in Donaldsonville, Francis Nicholls attended West Point but turned to the law. He established his own law practice in Napoleonville in the late 1850s before entering the Army of the Confederacy as a Captain during the Civil War. . . . — Map (db m114103) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Francis Tillou Nicholls — 1834-1912
Homesite of distinguished Confederate brigadier-general, twice governor of Louisiana 1877-80 and 1888-92; he was appointed Chief Justice of the Louisiana Supreme Court serving from 1892 until 1911. — Map (db m85466) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — George Seth Guion
Mississippi natives George Seth Guion and Caroline Lucretia Winder Guion moved to Thibodaux in 1831. Their Ridgefield Plantation included the land given to St. John,s Episcopal Church and Cemetery and the Guion Academy, two blocks away on Jackson . . . — Map (db m114082) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Georgiana Malvina Suthon
Born in 1850 in Assumption Parish to the Englishman Lucius Suthon and Assumption Parish native Manette Blanchard, Georgiana Suthon became an Episcopal missionary to Japan. Although she initially taught the bible in Tokyo, her eventual mastery of . . . — Map (db m114083) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — James Frost
From Uniontown, Pennsylvania, Frost migrated to Thibodaux in 1840, at the age of 26. He became one of the town's foremost building contractors and property owners. In 1842, Frost married Almira Ragan, a daughter of New York natives. In partnership . . . — Map (db m113374) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — James Mcallister
James Mcallister was born in 1809 in Kentucky and practiced law in New Orleans until moving to Thibodaux in 1838. He was elected as the city's first mayor, serving for one year, after which Mcallister became Parish Judge. In that capacity, he . . . — Map (db m112645) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — John A. Lovell
John A. Lovell worked initially on railroads and in the timber industry before entering into surveying. As a surveyor and engineer in Lafourche Parish during the first half of the 20th century, Lovell gained fame for his knowledge of the region's . . . — Map (db m114081) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — John Carlton Beatty
Born in 1808 in Mason County, Kentucky, Beatty and his first wife, Charlotte Reid, moved to Lafourche Parish early in life. He initially practiced medicine but became an attorney and politician, was one of the first Trustees of Thibodaux, and . . . — Map (db m112646) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — John Nelson & Andrew Jackson Donelson
Born in North Carolina in 1793, John Nelson was a veteran of the War of 1812 who moved to Tennessee and married Nancy Edwards of Davidson County in 1824. After her death, he migrated to Mississippi and married Maria Ann Robinson of Tennessee. He . . . — Map (db m114169) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Lafourche Parish Court House
The square of land upon which this antebellum structure stands was donated by Henry Schuyler Thibodaux, founder of the town. The present building, erected in circa 1860, replaced two earlier ones built in 1818 and 1846. At one time the front . . . — Map (db m81079) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Laurel Valley
A 1785 Spanish Land Grant to Acadian Etienne Boudreaux is part of the largest surviving 19th Century Plantation manufacturing complex in the United States. Over 70 structures, including a sugar house, school, general store and workers' cottages are . . . — Map (db m81067) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Leighton
. . . — Map (db m96940) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Leonidas Polk
Born April 10, 1806 in Raleigh North Carolina Died June 14, 1864 at Pine Mountain Georgia First Bishop of Louisiana 1841——1864 Organized Saint John's Church — Map (db m81142) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Leonidas Polk
Born in Raleigh, North Carolina, in 1806, Polk attended the University of North Carolina before receiving an appointment to West Point, from which he graduated in 1827. He soon resigned his commission, however, was ordained an Episcopal priest, and . . . — Map (db m113542) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Marcus Pennington Zills
During the renovation of St. John's Episcopal Church in 1856, a bell was installed in the new steeple which was built upon the church front. Made in Troy,New York, at Meneelys Foundry, and paid for by funds left by Marcus P. Zills, the bell is . . . — Map (db m112711) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Mary King Fulford
Mary King Fulford was a childhood sweetheart of U.S. Grant in Georgetown, Ohio. After her marriage to John D. Fulford, they moved to Memphis, then in 1845 to Thibodaux. She cared for seven children, of whom several died in childhood, and played a . . . — Map (db m113377) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Morgan Springer
Born in 1814 in Fayette County, PA, to Zedoc and Eleanor Springer, Morgan flat-boated down the Mississippi River with James Frost, a friend, around 1840. A master carpenter, he soon acquired a lot on Jackson Street in Thibodaux. Frost and Springer . . . — Map (db m112698) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Moses, Allen Chapel, Calvary Cemeteries
Established in 1880, this is one of the earliest African-American cemeteries in Thibodaux. It serves three church congregations: Moses Baptist Church, Allen Chapel AME Church , Calvary Methodist Church. — Map (db m92135) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Our Confederate Dead — 1861-1865
Side A We care not whence they came Dear is their lifeless clay Whether unknown or known to fame Their cause and country still the same They died and wore Gray. Side B In memory of the thirty-nine members of Co. A. 2nd . . . — Map (db m94473) HM WM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Philip Sargent Armitage
A son of a prominent Thibodaux merchant and a founder of St. John's Episcopal Church, Charles Armitage, Philip Armitage lived at the family home of the same name, om the Terrebonne Road south of Thibodaux. Possibly designed by one of Louisiana's . . . — Map (db m114105) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Rev. Daniel McNair
Reverend Daniel McNair founded the Presbyterian Church of Thibodaux on June 6, 1847. It was the first Presbyterian congregation established west of the Mississippi River. A North Carolina native born in 1806, he was assigned to preach in the . . . — Map (db m112695) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Richard Henry Allen
Richard Henry Allen was born in 1807, in Wilkes County, North Carolina. Following a career as a merchant in Yazoo City, Mississippi, in 1840 he moved to New Orleans and became a cotton factor. In 1859, Allen retired to Thibodaux, entered sugar cane . . . — Map (db m114080) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Rienzi Plantation House
This house is believed to have been built by William Fields or Henry Johnson between 1815 and 1835 Johnson eventually purchased several small tracts to form the huge sugar-producing plantation. Other significant owners were Henry Schuyler Thibodaux, . . . — Map (db m81072) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Saint Joseph Church
The mother church of Parishes in Lafourche, Terrebonne, St. Mary and lower Assumption was incorporated in 1817. Priests served the area from Assumption Church, Plattenville, until 1822 when Fr. Antoine Potini (1822-1827) became first resident . . . — Map (db m97064) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Silas T. Grisamore
Silas Grisamore arrived by steamboat from his native southern Indiana in the mid 1840s. He taught school in Assumption Parish, sold goods from flatboats on Bayou Lafourche, and eventually became a merchant in Thibodaux. During the Civil War, . . . — Map (db m114078) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Site of Mount Carmel Academy — 1855-1965
In 1855, Father Charles M. Menard, venerable pastor of St. Joseph Church, foreseeing the need for Catholic education of Thibodaux youth, purchased land and built a school for girls on this site. The Sisters of Mt. Carmel bought the . . . — Map (db m81069) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — St. Charles Borromeo Church
In 1874 Fr. Charles Menard purchased land from Vasseur Bourgeois on the Hwy 1 side of the bayou to establish a church-school mission for the Community of St. Charles. The Sisters of Mt. Carmel staffed the school offering classes in French and . . . — Map (db m81068) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — St. John's Episcopal Church
One of the oldest Episcopal churches in the Mississippi Valley. Parish organized in 1843. Cornerstone laid in January 1844. Consecrated in March of same year by Bishop Leonoidas Polk, Bishop of Louisiana. — Map (db m81077) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — St. John's Historic Cemetery
Once part of Ridgefield Plantation, the land for the Church and Cemetery fronted on the Terrebonne Road - now Jackson Street - connecting Bayous Lafourche and Terrebonne. An entire block was donated in the early 1840s by George Seth and Caroline . . . — Map (db m112696) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — St. Joseph Cemetery
This cemetery was established in circa 1817 on the site of the original St. Joseph Church, a mission of Assumption. The Calvary - Grotto Shrine to Our Lady of Lourdes, erected in 1883 still stands near the Menard Street entrance. Several historic . . . — Map (db m81070) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — St. Joseph Co-Cathedral
St. Joseph Church Parish was founded in 1817 as a mission. In 1819 a church was erected on Bayou LaFourche adjacent to the present cemetery. A brick church was built in 1849 under the direction of Fr. Charles Menard. This structure stood until 1916 . . . — Map (db m85468) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — The St. Joseph Cemetery Calvary-Grotto Shrine
Dating back to 1883, the Calvary-Grotto Shrine of Our Lady of Lourdes is one of the Historic Places in Thibodaux that remain in constant use to this day. In 1865, with the Grotto in mind, Rev. Charles Menard, Pastor of St. Joseph Catholic . . . — Map (db m85765) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — Whitmell Pugh Martin
Whitmell Martin, a native of Assumption Parish, was initially a chemist who studied and practiced law. After he served as superintendent of Lafourche Parish schools from 1894-1900, he was a District Attorney and eventually Judge for the 20th . . . — Map (db m114135) HM
Louisiana (Lafourche Parish), Thibodaux — William Alexander Shaffer
William Alexander Shaffer was born in Winnsboro, South Carolina, in 1796. His father migrated to the United States from Prussia. Shaffer settled in Louisiana, on Little Bayou Black, Terrebonne Parish, in 1835. He obtained a United States land . . . — Map (db m114084) HM

66 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.