Touch FIRST to browse through the results shown on this page.
Mississippi Mound Trail Historical Markers
The Mississippi Mound Trail project is a self-guided driving tour located along or near Highway 61 in the Mississippi Delta. The trail route parallels the Mississippi River. The Mississippi Mound Trail has 33 historical markers.
Of the six mounds identified on the early 18th-century maps of the Grand Village, three remain. Mound A is now eroding into St. Catherine Creek. Mound B is a pyramidal platform mound, roughly seven feet tall, built in four stages. Each stage served . . . — — Map (db m103758) HM
Covering roughly eight acres, Emerald Mound is the second largest Mississippian mound north of Mexico. The main platform was constructed in three stages beginning ca. AD 1350. Archaeological excavations have confirmed that the first and second . . . — — Map (db m97256) HM
Of the three original mounds overlooking Bayou Pierre, only one remains. A pyramidal platform, Mound A is currently 16 feet tall. Excavations indicate that Native Americans built the mound in multiple stages during the Coles Creek Period, from AD . . . — — Map (db m103785) HM
Windsor Mounds includes four rectangular platform mounds overlooking Bayou Pierre. Mound A, visible from the road, is the largest at over 30 feet, and has a ramp extending toward the east. Mounds B, C, and D range in height from 3 to 16 feet. The . . . — — Map (db m103783) HM
Seven mounds were originally recorded at the Batesville site. Of these, two remain intact. Mound B is a rectangular platform mound nine feet high; Mound C is a conical and stands 20 feet high. Mounds A and D have been greatly reduced by plowing but . . . — — Map (db m102575) HM
The Glass site originally consisted of four pyramidal mound surrounding an open plaza, with a possible fifth mound located to the north. Of these, Mound A alone remains undamaged. It stands 30 feet high and has a ramp extending south toward the . . . — — Map (db m103780) HM
The Smith Creek site consists of three mounds surrounding a large plaza. Mound A is the site's largest monument, at over 30 feet. Mound B is a burial mound surrounded by a ditch or moat. Mound C, to the east, is eroding into Smith Creek; its . . . — — Map (db m96735) HM
The Lessley site consists of one large, rectangular platform mound. Excavations in 2013 determined that the mound was built in two or more stages, beginning in the Late Coles Creek or Early Plaquemine Period, ca. AD 1100-1350. Based on excavated . . . — — Map (db m96644) HM