Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Denton, Texas Historical Markers

 
Beulah A. Harriss Marker Context image, Touch for more information
By QuesterMark, October 25, 2015
Beulah A. Harriss Marker Context
Texas (Denton County), Denton — 18130 — Beulah A. Harriss
Beulah A. Harriss (1889-1977) moved to Denton in 1914 from Nebraska to become the first women’s physical education teacher at North Texas State Normal College, now University of North Texas (UNT). With a degree from the University of Nebraska in . . . — Map (db m92193) HM
Texas (Denton County), Denton — 1207 — Denton County
Created April 11, 1846 from Fannin County Organized July 13, 1846 with Denton as county seat Both town and county are named in honor of John B. Denton 1807-1841 Pioneer preacher, lawyer and Indian fighter First county seat . . . — Map (db m121786) HM
Texas (Denton County), Denton — 1208 — Denton County Courthouse
Built 1896-97. Fifth courthouse for Denton County. First was at Alton, second at Pinckneyville. Third (in Denton) was burned in crime charged to a member of the Sam Bass Gang of outlaws. Walls are native limestone; columns, Burnet County . . . — Map (db m121787) HM
Texas (Denton County), Denton — Denton County War Memorial
. . . — Map (db m108516) WM
Texas (Denton County), Denton — 18167 — Edna Westbrook Trigg in Denton County
Edna Westbrook Trigg (1868-1946) was the first county home demonstration agent appointed in Texas in 1915, serving in Denton County from February 1916 through December 1937. She was named Denton County home demonstration emeritus from January 1, . . . — Map (db m121785) HM
Texas (Denton County), Denton — 2767 — John B. Denton
Born in Tennessee July 26, 1806, came to Texas in January, 1836, as a Methodist circuit rider. Killed in the Village Creek Indian fight May 24, 1841 in what is now Tarrant County. Named for Gen. Edward H. Tarrant who commanded the volunteers. Denton . . . — Map (db m121788) HM
Texas (Denton County), Denton — Our Confederate Soldiers
(left column) Erected by Daughters of the Confederacy in memory of our Confederate soldiers, who in heroic self-sacrifice and devoted loyalty gave their manhood and their lives to the South in her hour of need. (right column) . . . — Map (db m108519) WM
Texas (Denton County), Denton — 5309 — The City of Denton
Pioneers settled this locality in the 1840s. In 1846 the Texas Legislature created Denton County - one of several carved from the Peters Colony grant. After trying other sites, the voters in 1856 accepted for county seat this tract donated by Hiram . . . — Map (db m121784) HM

8 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement