John Cameron Gilroy
John Cameron Gilroy, native of Scotland, arrived in Spanish California in 1814, and became the first permanent English speaking settler. He married Maria Clara de la Ascencion Ortega, daughter of the family that . . . — — Map (db m68909) HM
This land was originally part of the El Rancho Solis granted in 1828. The main home is one of the oldest wooden structures in the county. Part of the present residence dates back to 1833 and the redwood timbers were hauled from Mt. Madonna for its . . . — — Map (db m54056) HM
On September 16, 1857, John Butterfield, a New Yorker, received a contract with the U.S. Post Office Department to establish reliable transportation between Missouri and San Francisco.
As a young man he joined with Henry Wells and William Fargo . . . — — Map (db m57988) HM
[This is a two-sided marker. Side-one being in English and Side-two being in Spanish:][Side One:]
For over 3,000 years, this area around the Uvas Creek drainage supported large populations of ancestral Ohlone People. . . . — — Map (db m18508) HM
In the 1830s, most of what is now the park was located on the Rancho San Francisco de las Llagas granted to Carlos Castro. The reservoir is found on early public lands and also on the lesser Rancho La Polka granted to Isabel Ortega; her father, . . . — — Map (db m18528) HM
Bernard and Mabel Franklin moved to this property after its purchase in 1895. The home at this location had been built approximately 20 years prior, from Mt. Madonna Redwood. It has been home to four generations of Franklins. Bernard helped build . . . — — Map (db m54059) HM
John Gilroy arrived in Monterey in 1814 on one of the North-West Co.
trading ships; "ISAAC TODD," which he deserted. He then fled to the Santa Clara Valley, marrying Maria Clara Ortega and settling on Rancho San Ysidro. His rightful name was John . . . — — Map (db m112025) HM
This park was once the summer home of "the cattle king" Henry Miller. Mr. Miller was the dominant partner in the firm Miller & Lux. The large foundation on your left was Mrs. Miller's home, and the other two foundations were a dining hall and . . . — — Map (db m54057) HM
Charting a course of their own to become founders of Santa Clara Valley
In 1844, Martin Murphy Sr. brought his large, Irish family across the continent in the Stephens-Murphy-Townsend overland part. Their determination, optimism and close . . . — — Map (db m18546) HM
[This base is a two-sided monument commemorating both Rancho San Ysidro (side 1) and San Ysidro School (side 2)]
RANCHO SAN YSIDRO
In the early 1800's Rancho San Ysidro was granted to Ygnacio Ortega. After his
death the lands were . . . — — Map (db m18484) HM
The Catherine Dunn Ranch once part of the Rancho San Francisco de Las Llagas Spanish land grant was divided in 1893 and sold to early settlers to form Rucker Township.
Education was especially important to these pioneers who had been through . . . — — Map (db m18473) HM
Henry Miller, “The Cattle King”
With only $6 in his pocket, German immigrant Henry Miller (birth name Heinrich Alfred Kreiser) stepped off the boat in San Francisco in 1850 with one pervading ambition – to labor hard at a . . . — — Map (db m54122) HM