Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Kingsport, Tennessee Historical Markers

 
The view west on South Wilcox Drive across from Eastman Chemical. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, September 10, 2017
The view west on South Wilcox Drive across from Eastman Chemical.
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — 1A 38 — Avery Treaty
This treaty was consummated here on July 20, 1777, following Col. Christian's subjugation of the Cherokee, who ceded to the whites a broad domain for settlement. The North Carolina and Virginia Commissioners, led by Wraightstill Avery, and the . . . — Map (db m108172) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Bank Barn
The barn built into the embankment provided a stable on the 1st level and a 2nd floor for stage coaches and wagon repair. From the early 1800's it remained in use until the 1920-30's. Reconstructed on the original site with portions of the limestone . . . — Map (db m114013) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Bank Of Kingsport
As the area began to develop, citizens began to realize that they needed a place to invest their money. As a result, the Bank of Kingsport was built in 1912. This financial institution was the first bank in the model city. It holds another place in . . . — Map (db m23731) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — 1A 94 — Battle of Island FlatsFirst Skirmish
Marching down Island Road from Eaton's Fort on July 20, 1776, the Colonial Militia crossed Eaton's Ridge to this ravine. Here they rushed the British-allied Cherokees, who were hidden behind trees, with such violence that the Indians were forced to . . . — Map (db m76647) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — 1A 3 — Battle of Island Flats
In the area to the S.W. was fought this first battle of the Revolution in the West, July 20, 1776. Colonial Militia under Capt. James Thompson, defeated a force of Cherokees under Dragging Canoe, in a short, bloody struggle. It was also the turning . . . — Map (db m76648) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Battle of Kingsport
On December 13, 1864 approx. 300 Confederate cavalrymen from 2nd Ky. Cav. under Col. R. Morgan delayed the advancing 5,500 Union cavalry under Gen. Stoneman enroute to Saltville, Va.. This monument is dedicated to those brave . . . — Map (db m108203) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Battle of KingsportA Flank Attack — Stoneman's Raid —
[Inset] On December 10, 1864, Union Gen. George Stoneman led 5,700 horse artillerists and cavalrymen east from Knoxville, Tennessee, to destroy iron-, lead-, and saltworks in Virginia that were essential to the Confederate war effort. . . . — Map (db m108218) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Church Circle
This Kingsport landmark was designed by railroad engineer William Dunlap and refined by city planner John Nolen as an original part of the 1919 City Plan, Church Circle is one of the cornerstones of planned urban design with its "spoke and wheel" . . . — Map (db m23724) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Colonel Gilbert Christian1734 - 1793 — First Permanent Settler in Kingsport —
Early settlement attempt in 1761. Permanent settlement in 1775. The first town in the Kingsport area was laid out on his land grant in 1802 and was named Christianville. American Revolution Patriot Long Island Chapter Daughters of . . . — Map (db m114015) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Daniel Boone Wilderness Trail
In March 1775 Daniel Boone and a group of axmen met nearby at the Holston River and began blazing a trail through 200 miles of forested terrain to the Cumberland Gap and beyond to the Kentucky River. The Wilderness Trail, or Road, opened a new . . . — Map (db m69694) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — 1A 98 — Donelson Flotilla
Early in 1779 Col. John Donelson's group arrived here and built 30 flatboats for 300 people to make the 1000-mile journey to settle Middle Tennessee. They embarked on their boating adventure on December 22, 1779. With an hour they wrecked at the . . . — Map (db m108173) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — 1A 143 — Douglass High School1928-1966
(Side One) The only school for African Americans in Kingsport began in 1913 as the Oklahoma Grove School near downtown. With Rosenwald and community funds, the first Douglass School building was constructed in 1928. A new structure was . . . — Map (db m76645) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Flatboat
This flatboat is a model of boats that were built in the late 1700's and early 1800's on the banks of this river. These boats transported vast quantities of salt, iron ingots, animal skins, herbs such as ginseng, plaster of Paris and other items of . . . — Map (db m114014) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Flatboat "Adventure" December 22, 1779
Colonel John Donelson in his flatboat “Adventure,” leading a flotilla of about 300 people in flatboats and canoes, departed from Fort Patrick Henry on that epic voyage to the Big Salt Lick on the Cumberland River (now Nashville). The . . . — Map (db m75912) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — 1A-41 — Fort Patrick Henry
Erected near here by Lt. Col. Wm. Russell in Sept. 1776, under orders of Col. William Christian, to serve the forces then successfully campaigning against the hostile Cherokee who had become allies of the British. Capt. Wm. Winchester’s Company . . . — Map (db m133758) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Kingsport Drug
This building was constructed in 1915 and housed the City's first drug store. Some of the first physicians in Kingsport kept their offices and practiced medicine on the second floor. The drug store featured one of the first soda fountains in town to . . . — Map (db m23728) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Kingsport Public Library
The Kingsport Book Club established the Kingsport Public Library in 1929. It was originally housed in the YMCA building and then moved to this site, which was the former U.S. Post Office site on Broad Street. Thomas Hastings of New York designed the . . . — Map (db m23726) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Netherland Inn
The Inn was built in the early 1800's by William King and sold to Richard Netherland in 1818. The Inn was a popular Stage Coach Inn and Tavern on the Great Stage Road. Parking and ticket sales are located at the upper parking lot. — Map (db m114012) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — 1A 103 — Rock Ledge
Built before 1835 by David Shaver, father of Samuel Shaver, an early Tennessee portrait painter. Passed to Lucinda Shaver, wife of Unionist and Tennessee State Senator (1865-69), John Welsh. Inherited by Leah Welsh and her husband, Lafayette . . . — Map (db m82966) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — State Theater
This movie house on Broad Street first opened its doors on March 6, 1936 and continued showing films for the next forty-two years. The facility could seat 700 people and became the site of many locally produced civic and cultural events such as the . . . — Map (db m114010) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Suffering and SurvivalCivil War in Sullivan County
Union and Confederate forces in Sullivan County battled to control the East Tennessee & Virginia Railroad and the Holston River, strategically vital transportation routes for moving soldiers and supplies. The county supported secession . . . — Map (db m108222) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — 1A 4 — The Boat Yard
To the south, along the banks of the Holston River, a famous gateway to the West, the Boat Yard had a major role in the history of the South. It was the head of navigation on the Holston from 1768 to 1850, and important commercial port and the point . . . — Map (db m69697) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — The Gem Theatre
The old Gem Theatre was one of the first buildings in downtown Kingsport. Built in 1915, this building has been used for everything from a country-western bar to a church. It was originally a movie theater that showed a variety of films including . . . — Map (db m23733) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — The Great Indian War Path
{Title is text}Map (db m108207) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — 1A 107 — The Long Island of the Holston
Its west end seen here in the river, the Long Island of the Holston is four miles long. Tennessee's first National Historic Landmark, it was the site of numerous Revolutionary War events. It served as a sacred Cherokee Indian island until ceded to . . . — Map (db m108176) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Train Depot
The Carolina, Clinchfield and Ohio Passenger Train Station, along with the adjacent Freight Depot, were built in 1916. The building's design was a product of New York architect Clinton McKenzie. Access to the railroad instantly gave Kingsport the . . . — Map (db m23730) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Kingsport — Western Union Building
Built in 1932, this building housed the Western Union telegraph company. Early residents could receive packages and send telegrams from this local office. Wires were extended from here to seven of Kingsport's industrial sites including Eastman and . . . — Map (db m23736) HM

27 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 4, 2020