40 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Lititz
Lititz, Pennsylvania and Vicinity
▶ Lancaster County (305) ▶ Berks County (203) ▶ Chester County (232) ▶ Dauphin County (279) ▶ Lebanon County (61) ▶ York County (271) ▶ Cecil County, Maryland (164) ▶ Harford County, Maryland (141)
Touch name on list to highlight map location.
Touch blue arrow, or on map, to go there.
These "Steps of Progress" to the
Lititz Boy Scout Pavilion
were provided and built by
Boy Scout Ryan Haines
of Lititz Boy Scout Troop 142
as his Eagle Scout Project — — Map (db m126240) HM|
This fountain was part of the lower piece of
one of the three original gas lights that were
located at the "Roebuck Memorial Fountain," in Lititz,
which was dedicated October 3, 1895.
It was saved and has since been rebuilt and
placed . . . — — Map (db m126231) HM|
This property has been
placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior — — Map (db m136386) HM|
The lion's head has been a prominent icon to Lititz Springs Park since 1857. In addition to its beautiful stream, its shaded walkways and its well-kept natural environment, Lititz Springs Park was enhanced by an elegant carving of a lion's head by . . . — — Map (db m126238) HM|
In 1856 sandstone from the Furnace Hills north of Lititz was brought to the park grounds by horse and cart and used as coping around the head-end of the Springs. This stone coping continued eastward to prevent the stream from overflowing and also . . . — — Map (db m126280) HM|
Built in 1937, the "Paul E. Beck Memorial Band Shell" has hosted many musical venues and notable celebrations, including the crowning of the Queen of Candles, the highlight of the 4th of July festivities in the park since 1942.
Paul E. . . . — — Map (db m126283) HM|
In 1884, the Lititz Moravian Congregation, who owned Lititz Springs Park, entered into a ninety-nine year lease with the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Company for the location of a new Passenger Depot & Express Station to be built on Park . . . — — Map (db m157514) HM|
|John Badorf was the proprietor of the Warwick House and Badorf Shoe Company. The 360 ton house was originally located on the corner of N. Broad St. and W. Lincoln Ave. It was moved back 50 feet in 1993 for the addition of a third lane on W. Lincoln . . . — — Map (db m136378) HM|
|His generosity interest in human welfare and love for Lititz, his boyhood home, made possible the restoration and development of this park.
Established in 1843 by the Moravian Congregation, the park was given to the community of Lititz in 1956. — — Map (db m5318) HM|
|At one time, the Lititz Spring Park was swampland with a small stream running through it. In the late 1700's young men from Lititz began filling in the swamp in hopes of making the area a place of leisure and enjoyment.
In the mid 1800's, trees . . . — — Map (db m136379) HM|
General Johann Agust Sutter Home
built in 1871
has been placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior — — Map (db m136388) HM|
|Who died in the Lititz Military Hospital between December 19, 1777 and August 28, 1778 and are buried here. — — Map (db m5268) HM|
|who died in this building when it was used by order of General Washington as a military hospital from Dec. 19, 1777 to Aug. 28, 1778. This tablet is erected by the Lititz Moravian Congregation
of the 450 men quartered here, there died 120, of whom . . . — — Map (db m5273) HM|
| . . . — — Map (db m136385) HM|
|In the cemetery opposite is buried the California pioneer. Founder of Sacramento, 1839. Gold was discovered on his lands, 1848. Ruined by the gold rush, he made Lititz his home from 1871 until death, 1880. — — Map (db m157507) HM|
|Dedicated by the Sacramento Chamber of Commerce in memory of John Augustus Sutter who founded California's capital, the City of Sacramento August 12, 1839. The fort which he established is today a shrine containing historical relics of the gold rush . . . — — Map (db m81796) HM|
The first candle illumination in the Lititz Springs Park was held July 4, 1843 when 400 candles were lit to celebrate America's Independence. This long-held tradition was begun to honor a Christmas Eve Moravian custom of lighting a candle to . . . — — Map (db m126276) HM|
On Memorial Day, May 31, 1920, members of Stevens Post No. 517 of The Grand Army of the Republic met on the Lititz Springs grounds for the last time. In recognition of their fallen comrades, the 15 remaining local Civil War Veterans set up tents . . . — — Map (db m126281) HM|
|Oldest girls' resident school in the United States. Founded in 1746 by the Moravian Church. Originally a day school, it has since 1794 drawn boarding students from a wide area. The school was chartered under its present name in 1863. — — Map (db m5265) HM|
|Settled during 1740's, Moravians established here a "Land Gemeine," or country congregation in 1756. It was named by Count Zinzendorf after a Bohemian town which sheltered persecuted Moravians in 1456. — — Map (db m156655) HM|
October, 1927, Lititz Boy Scout Troops 2 and 3 opened the doors of the new log cabin which they built representing the early log cabins built by our early American pioneers. Because of their interest in the great outdoors, the scouts received . . . — — Map (db m126272) HM|
The Lititz Caboose was purchased by the Lititz Springs Park Board Caboose Committee in 2000. This rail car was restored by Gerhart Machinery Company of Lititz and dedicated July 1, 2001. The Caboose Museum is a complimentary companion to the . . . — — Map (db m126190) HM|
|The Warwick Gemeinhaus was consecrated February 9, 1749. This date serves as the founding date for the Warwick Congregation, which on August 20, 1755, became the country congregation and Bruder-Gemein of Lititz. It was named by Count Zinzendorf in . . . — — Map (db m5271) HM|
Lititz Springs Post 1463, Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary, proudly dedicate this memorial fountain "to those who made the ultimate sacrifice and to those that were willing."
Dedicated July 2, 1994 — — Map (db m136389) WM|
The first entrance to Lititz Springs Park was a small walking path leading off of Maple Street opposite the old brewery. In 1844 a new visitor entrance to the Park was opened at Broad Street. It was located on the south side of the Lititz Springs . . . — — Map (db m126234) HM|
The nine markers placed throughout the Park are both a memorial to "Sketch" Mearig, and also an educational platform of the history of Lititz Springs Park.
Robert "Sketch" Mearig was born in Lititz in 1923. He spent many childhood days playing in . . . — — Map (db m126232) HM|
|In grateful recognition to all veterans who preserved the freedom won by America's first veterans that are buried here. 1776 - 1999 — — Map (db m5269) WM|
| [Left panel:]
Count Nicholas Ludwig von Zinzedorf
In 1742, Count Nicholas Ludwig von Zinzendorf of Saxony, the leader and organizer of the modern day Moravian Church, preached at the tavern of Jacob Huber, north of Lititz, while . . . — — Map (db m136380) HM|
|Built in 1746 by the Moravians as Church, Parsonage, and School. It stood 125 yards to the north on the elevation on this side of Carter's Run. — — Map (db m5266) HM|
On July 4, 1906 a Music Pavilion was dedicated to accommodate Beck's Concert Band, a well respected band in Lititz. An octagonal shaped, gazebo style bandstand with latticed sides, designed by Paul E. Beck, Band Director, was built in the area of . . . — — Map (db m126236) HM|
| Established the first pretzel bakery in the New World. This tablet dedicated by The National Pretzel Bakers Institute May 1951 Alex V. Tisdale, Pres. — — Map (db m90834) HM|
Dedicated to the memory
Paul E. Beck
1871 - 1934
and Teacher of
Music, Art and Literature
September 2, 1937 . . . — — Map (db m126285) HM|
|On this site are interred the remains of 110 soldiers from General Washington's Continental Army. Wounded at the battles of Brandywine and Germantown, these soldiers were transported to Lititz between December 1777 and August 1778. Hospitalized in . . . — — Map (db m5267) HM|
|The Round House is thought to have originally been built as a grandstand on the grounds of the Warwick Racing Track located northeast of Lititz. It was dismantled and reconstructed on its present site in the early months of 1880.
The Round House . . . — — Map (db m126235) HM|
In 1855 the steep bank around the spring head was contoured. Three springs were uncovered flowing from caves to the west. From the bubbling spring, water gracefully flows eastward and is the source of the Lititz Run stream. The clear, limestone . . . — — Map (db m126237) HM|
|Dedicated in 1971
Moravian Church Square
Established in 1757
In memory of the many men and women of past and present generations who served faithfully in the Moravian Congregation to make our heritage possible. — — Map (db m5274) HM|
On this site in the 1940s, a young R. Ronald Reedy and his uncle would sit on a bench and watch railroad workers and engineers switch the freight cars bound for Wilbur Chocolate and the nearby lumber yard. And, at certain times throughout the day, . . . — — Map (db m126228) HM|
|For the use of Medical Department of the "Army of the Federated States of America," was compiled by Physician-General William Brown in Lititz, and published in Philadelphia, in 1778. It was the first American Formulary and a pioneer effort at the . . . — — Map (db m5272) HM|
|George Klein built a two-story stone house which became the "Pilgerhaus," or Pilgrim's House" to be used as a dwelling for ministers and congregational meetings.
In 1760, the congregational store was located in the Pilgerhaus. It remained here . . . — — Map (db m136387) HM|
Dedicated in honor of
all those who served honorably
in the Armed Forces of
the United States of America
☆ ☆ ☆ — — Map (db m126193) WM|