Here, under an oak tree, newly freed African American students listened in January 1863 as the Emancipation Proclamation was read aloud. Union Gen. Benjamin F. Butler’s “contraband of war” decision at Fort Monroe in 1861 anticipated that . . . — — Map (db m33817) HM
To the west, on the grounds of Hampton University, stands the Emancipation Oak. Under its sheltering limbs, protected and encouraged by the occupying Union army and prominent local church leaders, Mary Smith Kelsey Peake (1823- 22 Feb. 1862) taught . . . — — Map (db m73795) HM
Near here the English landed April 30, 1607 before going to Jamestown. They were welcomed by the Kecoughton Indians with native religious ceremonies, dancing and feasting.
In 1610, following the . . . — — Map (db m92321) HM
Cooperative Extension Service pioneer, innovator, and educator, John Baptist Pierce was appointed in 1906 by Seaman Knapp and H. B. Frissell of Hampton Institute as the first Negro farm demonstration agent for Virginia. Pierce served for 35 years as . . . — — Map (db m33819) HM
Settled as Mill Creek and Strawberry Banks by English Colonists, the Town of Phoebus was “Roseland Farm” until 1871 when it was divided into lots and became known as Chesapeake City. When the town was incorporated in 1900, it was named . . . — — Map (db m33627) HM
Settled as Mill Creek and Strawberry Banks by English Colonists, the Town of Phoebus was "Roseland Farm" until 1871 when it was divided into lots and became known as Chesapeake City. When the town was incorporated in 1900, it was named Phoebus in . . . — — Map (db m33630) HM
This quaint waterfront community traces its origin back to April 30th 1607. It was here that the first English-speaking Colonists set foot in the New World and called this "safe harbor" Cape Comfort.
It began as a settlement for defenders and . . . — — Map (db m33633) HM
The story of Saint Mary Star of the Sea School goes back to 1858 when Chapel of the Centurion was built at Fort Monroe primarily for Protestant services. A group of officers—some of Irish extraction—requested that a Catholic church also . . . — — Map (db m103893) HM
Nearby a monument marks the site of the second church at Kecoughtan (later Hampton), built in 1624 for Elizabeth City Parish, established 1610 and now the oldest Protestant parish in continuous existence in America. This building was replaced before . . . — — Map (db m73777) HM
Hampton Institute began the Hampton Indian Program to “christianize and civilize” American Indians. The first students arrived at the Institute near midnight on 13 April 1878. They had been incarcerated at Fort Marion in St. Augustine, . . . — — Map (db m73794) HM