Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Roswell, Georgia Historical Markers

 
Allenbrook Marker image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, May 30, 2013
Allenbrook Marker
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 2 — Allenbrook
circa 1840, built of handmade brick. Originally home and office of the Lauren Woolen Mill; Near Allenbrook is historic site of Laurel Woolen Mill (burned by Sherman’s Forces); Lovers Rock, popular antebellum picnic spot. — Map (db m108987) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Archibald Smith
The head of one of the six families comprising in 1839 the original settlement of Roswell, Cobb County, Georgia — Map (db m111501) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 060-125 — Barrington Hall
Barrington King, co-founder of Roswell with his father, Roswell King, for whom the town is named, selected this spot for his home, which is in the Greek Revival style of architecture. Willis Ball, a carpenter from Connecticut, was the builder. After . . . — Map (db m16647) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 4 — Barrington Hall
circa 1842, Greek Revival home of Barrington King, son of Roswell King, one of the founders of Roswell. — Map (db m112246) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Barrington King
The head of one of the six families comprising in 1839 the original settlement of Roswell, Cobb County, Georgia — Map (db m111552) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Brantley-Newton House1919
Built for D.H. Bradley by noted Atlanta architect Neel Reid, a Roswell resident from 1917-1926. The home exhibits Reid’s sense of scale and proportion. A later occupant was Charles Newton, a teacher at Roswell High School for 28 years and the . . . — Map (db m109193) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 060-40B — Bulloch Hall
Built in the early 1840's by Major James Stephen Bulloch. His second wife, married in 1832, was Martha Elliott. Their second daughter, Martha (Mittie) Bulloch and Theodore Roosevelt married here in 1853. Their son Theodore Roosevelt was the 25th . . . — Map (db m55963) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 7 — Bulloch Hall"A Founders Home"
Major James Stephen Bulloch Greek Revival, circa 1840 — Map (db m109394) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — C.J. Perry Housecirca 1880
Home of Charles Jefferson Perry who organized the Citizens Bank of Roswell and developed the north Roswell business district along present-day Canton Street in the late 19th Century. — Map (db m109118) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Elizabeth King Hand
The head of one of the six families comprising in 1839 the original settlement of Roswell, Cobb County, Georgia — Map (db m111554) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Founders' Cemetery
This cemetery, the first in Roswell, was burying ground of the village from 1840 to 1860. Among the distinguished dead who rest here are Roswell’s founder, Roswell King; Major James Stephens Bulloch, grandfather of president Theodore Roosevelt and . . . — Map (db m21712) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 28 — Francis J. Minhinnett House
Cotton Mill Superintendent house built circa 1849. — Map (db m109170) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 060-113 — Francis Robert Goulding
Francis Robert Goulding, author, clergyman, inventor, lived in this house at the time of his death, August 22, 1881, and is buried in the Roswell Presbyterian Cemetery. The son of Rev. Thomas Goulding, founder and first president of the Presbyterian . . . — Map (db m10860) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 060-5 — Garrard’s Cav. & Newton’s Division
July 9, 1864. Roswell bridge, having been destroyed by the retreating Confederates, Garrard’s cav. [US] waded the river at Shallow Ford in face of opposition from the south side. Wilder’s brigade (Miller, commanding) led off ~ its 4 regiments . . . — Map (db m33557) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Great Oaks1842 — A Founders Home
The Reverend Nathaniel A. Pratt, first minister of the Roswell Presbyterian Church. During the Civil War, Union troops camped here in 1864 while occupying Roswell on their way to Atlanta. — Map (db m109145) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Hembree Farm
In the 1830s, Amariah Hembree brought his family here from South Carolina to farm the former Cherokee lands. His son, James, a carpenter, built this house. James’ brother Elihu and his descendants lived on this land for 8 generations. They raised . . . — Map (db m109380) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 060-200 — Hightower (Etowah) Trail
At this point the noted Hightower (Etowah) Indian Trail crossed today’s Azalea Drive. With connections from Charleston, via Augusta, the old thoroughfare ran through this section to reach the Indian towns of present - day northwest Georgia. The . . . — Map (db m33436) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Historic Roswell Square Bicentennial Restoration Project
For years called “The Park,” this area was set aside by Roswell’s founders. Present walks duplicate original paths. President Theodore Roosevelt spoke here from a bandstand in 1905. Historic Roswell Square Bicentennial Restoration . . . — Map (db m112081) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Holly Hillcirca 1845
Greek Revival raised-cottage-style home of Savannah cotton broker Robert Adams Lewis. His wife was Catharine Barrington, as niece of town founder Roswell King. A later resident was noted author Evelyn Hanna, whose 1938 novel Blackberry Winter . . . — Map (db m109119) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — James S. Bulloch
The head of one of the six families comprising in 1839 the original settlement of Roswell, Cobb County, Georgia — Map (db m111558) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — John Dunwoody
The head of one of the six families comprising in 1839 the original settlement of Roswell, Cobb County, Georgia — Map (db m111549) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 060-6 — McPherson’s Troops at Shallow Ford
Here, in 1824, Jacob R. Brooks established a ferry at Shallow Ford where the old Hightower Trail crossed the Chattahoochee. July 10, 1864. Dodge’s 16th A.C., after a forced march of 27 mi. from the Sandtown Rd. (near Mableton), via Marietta, . . . — Map (db m33560) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Miss Sallie’s Placecirca 1893
Two sisters, Miss Sallie Kimball and Mrs. V.L. Williams lived in this house which operated as the first boarding house in Roswell for a period of time. It had six bedrooms, each with a coal burning fireplace. Visiting ministers were welcome to come . . . — Map (db m109213) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Nathaniel A. Pratt
The head of one of the six families comprising in 1839 the original settlement of Roswell, Cobb County, Georgia — Map (db m111556) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Naylor Hallcirca 1840
Built by Barrington King for Roswell Manufacturing Company textile mills manager H.W. Proudfoot. The columned portico and porte-cochere were added and the house enlarged in the 1920s by Harrison Broadwell. The house is named for his mother’s family. — Map (db m109009) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 25 — Old Methodist ChurchCirca 1859-1920
Became Masonic Hall in 1952 — Map (db m109171) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Old Roswell Cemeterycirca 1840s
This cemetery is located on the site of the Mt. Carmel Methodist Church which was established in 1836. The church was a log cabin built on the highest point of these cemetery grounds. It no longer stands. Many early settlers of the Roswell area . . . — Map (db m109593) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 11 — Original Mill
Original mill destroyed by General Sherman’s forces in 1864. Mill rebuilt on present site in 1882. Destroyed by lightning in 1929. Rebuilt and continued operation until July, 1975. — Map (db m109236) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 35 — PastoriumFirst Baptist Church — Erected 1940
R. Lee Buice First Pastor to live here — Map (db m109120) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Pleasant Hill Baptist Church
Pleasant Hill Baptist Church traces its roots to as early as 1836 when Amariah Hembree organized Lebanon Baptist Church in his home near the town of Lebanon, Georgia. Church records show that Burl Hembree, a negro slave, was ordained to preach and . . . — Map (db m109271) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Pleasant Hill Cemetery
Pleasant Hill Baptist Church traces its roots to as early as 1836 in the Lebanon Baptist Church. Sometime after 1847 the Black congregation of that church organized the Pleasant Hill Baptist Church on a site near this cemetery. The church building . . . — Map (db m109255) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Primrose Cottage1839
Primrose Cottage was the first permanent residence constructed in Roswell. Built for Eliza King Hand, a daughter of town founder Roswell King, the home features a hand-turned fence executed by an English craftsman. The house was designed by . . . — Map (db m109142) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 060-4A — Roswell Factory>>>------>
Chattahoochee River water power caused Roswell King to establish a town here in 1837. He had a cotton mill in operation by 1839. By 1853 two cotton mills, a woolen mill, flour mill, and tannery were in operation, employing two hundred and fifty . . . — Map (db m21713) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Roswell King
1839 “He was founder of the village which bears his name. 1939 A man of great energy, industry and perseverance; of rigid Integrity, truth and justice. He early earned and long enjoyed the esteem and confidence of his fellow men.” . . . — Map (db m111633) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 060-122 — Roswell Presbyterian Church
In 1839, 15 Presbyterian men and women, 'members of the colony' of Roswell, invited the Rev. Nathaniel A. Pratt, D.D., of Darien, to organize the first Presbyterian church of Roswell. These charter members included the Bulloch, Dunwody, Hand, King, . . . — Map (db m9174) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 15 — Roswell Presbyterian Church
Historic First Church, 1840 — Map (db m111989) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Roswell Town Squarecirca 1840
The Square was part of town founder Roswell King’s original town plan and is the center of the Roswell Historic District. The District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. President Theodore Roosevelt visited Roswell, his . . . — Map (db m112003) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 060-121 — Roswell’s Distinguished Men
In this cemetery lie some of Roswell’s leading early citizens, most of whom came here from Georgia’s coastal counties: Francis Robert Goulding (1810-1881), clergyman, inventor, author of The Young Marooners and other juvenile classics; . . . — Map (db m70425) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — The Archibald Smith Plantation Home, Outbuildings and Grounds
In 1838, Archibald and Anne Smith left their home in coastal Georgia and, along with five other families, became founding citizens of the tiny community of Roswell, located on what was then the Georgia frontier. In 1845 they constructed their . . . — Map (db m70057) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — The Castlecirca 1839
Site of the home of Roswell King, the founder of Roswell, Georgia. A now-vanished large log dwelling sheltered King, his family, and friends until their own homes could be built in the new village. He died in 1844 before building a permanent home . . . — Map (db m109192) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — The Fowler Housecirca 1830
Originally constructed by a Cherokee Indian as a one room cottage with a fireplace. It was enlarged and the front entrance turned to face Canton Street in the early 1900s. The house was occupied for many years by Mr. & Mrs. Charles C. Fowler, . . . — Map (db m109212) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — The Goulding Housecirca mid-1800s
Once called Colonial Place this became the home of author, inventor, naturalist, and retired Presbyterian minister Dr. Francis R. Goulding (1810-1881) of Liberty County. In 1842 he built the first practical sewing machine, but never secured a patent . . . — Map (db m113942) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 060-120 — The Old Bricks
Erected in 1839 for workers in the Roswell Cotton Mill, these apartments were the first built in the South and are believed to be the oldest in the United States. They served briefly as a hospital for wounded Federal soldiers in 1864. The Roswell . . . — Map (db m21730) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — 6 — W.J. Dolvin House
Victorian Architecture President Jimmy Carter Roswell White House — Map (db m109173) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Waller Park
Land for Waller Park was given to fulton County in 1946 by James Isaac Wright in memory of his uncle, J.H. Wright, who had founded and operated (1896-1913) a water-powered pants factory on this site under the name of the Oxbow Falls Manufacturing . . . — Map (db m113046) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Waller Park
In 1946, James Isaac Wright donated and deeded 16.1 acres of land to Fulton County for a public swimming pool and park. This site was named Waller Park in memory of his uncle, J. H. “Pony “ Waller, founder of Oxbow Falls Manufacturing . . . — Map (db m113148) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Willeo Baptist Churchcirca 1835
Named after a well known local Native American, Willeo, who lived along present-day Willeo Creek in the early 1800s. According to legend, he may have been an original church member. Willeo Baptist has played an important role in the Christian life . . . — Map (db m109387) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Roswell — Zion Missionary Baptist ChurchCirca 1871
Organized in 1871, by a group of dedicated African-American Christians, on land donated by white members of Lebanon Baptist Church was established at 929 Zion Circle, Roswell, Georgia as a one-story structure that also housed a school. Zion . . . — Map (db m108801) HM

48 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.