Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Durham County North Carolina Historical Markers

 
A Black Capital for the World to See Marker image, Touch for more information
By Devry Jones, November 10, 2018
A Black Capital for the World to See Marker
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — A Black Capital for the World to See1910 - 1945
On West Parrish Street at North Magnum Street (Business Highway 501), on the right when traveling west on West Parrish Street.
The North Carolina Mutual Life Insurance Company, Mechanics and Farmers Bank, the Mutual Building and Loan Association and North Carolina College were model financial and educational institutions devoted to entrepreneurship and self-help in Durham. — Map (db m126156) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — A Legacy of Community and Institutional Connections
On West Orange Street north of West Parrish Street, on the right when traveling north.
Since 1898, White Rock Baptist Church, St. Joseph A.M.E. Church, Stanford L. Warren Library, Lincoln Hospital, John Avery Boys and Girls Club, North Carolina College, and Durham Public Schools are all connected historically to black businesses on . . . — Map (db m126157) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — American Tobacco Trail
On Blackwell Street at Morehead Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Blackwell Street.
Durham was established in the 1850's when the North Carolina Railroad extended its tracks westward across the state. The new town became the destination for farmers in the area to bring their tobacco crops for sale and transport to the factories. . . . — Map (db m126202) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — G-80 — Bennett Place
On Bennett Memorial Road at Neal Road, on the right when traveling south on Bennett Memorial Road.
Farm home of James Bennett, where Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston surrendered his army to Gen. William T. Sherman, April 26, 1865. Johnston’s surrender followed Lee’s at Appomattox by 17 days and ended the Civil War in the Carolinas, Georgia, . . . — Map (db m1495) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — Bennett PlaceThe End of War — Carolinas Campaign —
Near Bennett Memorial Road at Near Road.
(Preface, upper left) : The Carolinas Campaign began on February 1, 1865, when Union Gen. William T. Sherman led his army north from Savannah, Georgia, after the “March to the Sea.” Sherman’s objective was to join Gen. . . . — Map (db m3635) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — Beulah C. Bowens Fuller
On Fayetteville Street south of Eagle Campus Drive, on the left when traveling south.
In Loving Memory of Beulah C. Bowens Fuller 1918-1997 Wilson, North Carolina Class of 1940 North Carolina College for Negroes at Durham A graduate of Darden High School in Wilson, North Carolina and the first in her family to . . . — Map (db m126198) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — G 116 — Black Wall Street
On North Mangum Street (Business U.S. 501) at West Parrish Street, on the right when traveling south on North Mangum Street.
In the early decades of the 1900's Durham acquired national reputation for entrepreneurship. Businesses owned by African Americans lined Parrish Street. Among them were N.C. Mutual Life Insurance Co. (moved to Parrish, 1906), led by John Merrick. . . . — Map (db m69962) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — Brassfield StationA Path Both Traveled — Carolinas Campaign —
On S Miami Blvd. (State Highway 1959), on the right when traveling north.
(Preface): The Carolinas Campaign began on February 1, 1865, when Union Gen. William T. Sherman led his army north from Savannah, Georgia, after the “March to the Sea.” Sherman's objective was to join Gen. Ulysses S. Grant in . . . — Map (db m14710) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — G 85 — Bull City Blues
On Fayetteville Street at Simmons Street on Fayetteville Street.
During the 1920s - 1940s, Durham was home to African American musicians whose work defined a distinctive regional style. Blues artists often played in the surrounding Hayti community and downtown tobacco warehouse district. Prominent among these . . . — Map (db m39611) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — Centennial ChapelNorth Carolina Central University Historical Marker
On Fayetteville Street north of Formosa Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
Holy Cross Church, established in Durham in 1939 by the Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus, was among North Carolina's earliest African-American Catholic congregations. A rectory was built in 1942 with one room serving as the chapel, and this . . . — Map (db m126194) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — 9 — Clyde R. Hoey Building1929 — Historic Preservation Society of Durham —
On Brant Street east of Fayetteville Street, in the median.
Administration and classroom centerpiece for New Georgian Style campus of North Carolina College for Negroes. Designed by the local architectural firm, Atwood & Nash. North Carolina Central University Historic District — Map (db m126200) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — Dedicated to Those who Served in the World War1917-1919
On East Main Street west of South Roxboro Street (Business U.S. 70), on the right when traveling east.
Roll of the Honored Dead Andrews, Junie Blame, Carl Brafford, Albert Clark, Willard Cole, Norman Cullon, James Denny, Hoyt Ewing, Arthur Faucette, John M. Ferrell, G.G. Fuller, Roy H. Haithcock, Sidney Hamelt, George D. . . . — Map (db m126187) WM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — Dr. Bartlett Durham
On East Main Street west of South Roxboro Street (Business U.S. 70), on the right when traveling east.
Dr. Bartlett Durham Patriot and Founder of the City of Durham — Map (db m126183) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — G-63 — Duke Homestead
On North Duke Street (U.S. 501) at Carver Street, on the right when traveling north on North Duke Street.
Birthplace of J. B. and B. N. Duke, tobacco and hydroelectric magnates, philanthropists (Duke University, the Duke Endowment), is 1 mi. S.W. — Map (db m30683) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — Duke HomesteadProsperity from War
Near Duke Homestead Road.
When North Carolina became the last state to secede from the Union in May 1861, Washington Duke’s small farm and homestead here consisted of more than 300 acres. He grew typical crops such as corn, wheat, oats, and sweet potatoes, and had raised . . . — Map (db m37834) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — G-97 — Duke University
On West Main Street (Business U.S. 70) at Campus Drive, on the right when traveling west on West Main Street.
Formerly Trinity College. Name was changed in 1924 to honor Washington Duke whose son James B. Duke endowed the institution. — Map (db m109252) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — Durham County Veterans Memorial
On East Main Street west of South Roxboro Street (Business U.S. 70), on the right when traveling east.
[East side] In honor of those 39 brave heroes from Durham County who died while serving the United States of America and mankind by defending freedom for all mankind in Vietnam. Dedicated May 30, 1994 Vietnam . . . — Map (db m126185) WM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — Durham's StationPrelude To Peace — Carolinas Campaign —
On Blackwell Street at Dillard Street, on the right when traveling north on Blackwell Street.
(Preface):The Carolinas Campaign began on February 1, 1865, when Union Gen. William T. Sherman led his army north from Savannah, Georgia, after the “March to the Sea.” Sherman's objective was to join Gen. Ulysses S. Grant in . . . — Map (db m14674) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — Emanuel J. Evans, 1907-1997, and Sara N. Evans, 1905-1986
On West Main Street west of Market Street.
"Mutt" and Sara Evans were civic, business and faith leaders during Durham's fast-changing, mid-20th century decades. Elected Mayor for a record six terms, Mutt Evans served from 1951 to 1963, holding together a diverse coalition of interests . . . — Map (db m126207) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — Empowering and Diverse Opportunities
On North Church Street at East Parrish Street, on the right when traveling north on North Church Street.
Through strategic leadership and funding since 1935, Black entrepreneurs on Parrish Street are active participants in the founding of the Durham Business and Professional Chain, the Durham Committee on the Affairs of Black People, Black newspapers . . . — Map (db m126160) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — Financial and Professional Impact in Durham
On West Parrish Street at West Orange Street, on the right when traveling west on West Parrish Street.
John Merrick's 1898 admonition, "Let us think more of our employment" guided the development of Parrish Street as the center city address of many ambitious bankers, doctors, lawyers and accountants whose investments in a growing African American . . . — Map (db m126159) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — 49 — Five Points Loan Companyca. 1920 — Historic Preservation Society of Durham —
On West Main Street at East Chapel Hill Street on West Main Street.
This simplified Art Deco building was first used as a clothing store. From 1928 until 1978 it housed the Five Points Loan Company and Pawnshop. Downtown Durham Historic District — Map (db m128093) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — Former Site of Hillside High SchoolNorth Carolina Central University Historical Marker
On Concord Street at Brant Street, on the left when traveling south on Concord Street.
Hillside High opened as a school for black students in 1921 at Pine and Umstead streets on land donated by John Sprint Hill. It moved in 1950 to a larger building, the former Whitted Junior High School, at this location. In 1996, Hillside High . . . — Map (db m126192) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — In Memory of "The Boys Who Wore the Gray"
On East Main Street west of South Roxboro Street (Business U.S. 70), on the right when traveling east.
[Front] The Confederate States of America 22 February 1862 Deo Vindice In Memory of "The Boys who Wore the Gray" 1861 - 1865 [Left side] Dedicated May 10th 1924 [Right side] This memorial . . . — Map (db m126181) WM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — G 57 — James E. Shepard
On University Drive at Hope Valley Road (North Carolina Highway 751), on the right when traveling east on University Drive.
Negro educational and religious leader. Founder of a college (1910), now N.C. Central University, its president to 1947. Grave 1½ miles S.E. — Map (db m69967) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — James Edward Shepard1875-1947
On Brant Street east of Fayetteville Street, in the median.
[Front] Founder & President North Carolina College at Durham 1910-1947 [Plaque at base of statue] Refurbished by: The Senior Class of 1998 North Carolina Central University "In Truth and Service . . . — Map (db m126189) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — G 109 — John Merrick1859 - 1919
On Fayetteville Street.
Black business leader. In 1898 he founded what is now N.C. Mutual Life Insurance Company. His grave is 85 yds. N.W. — Map (db m39609) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — G 102 — John Sprunt Hill1869-1961
On South Duke Street near West Cobb Street, on the left when traveling north.
Banker and attorney. Leader in credit union movement. Benefactor, UNC Library. Lived here. — Map (db m69966) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — Malbourne A Angier1820 - 1900
On East Main Street west of South Roxboro Street (Business U.S. 70), on the right when traveling east.
Member of the General Assembly of the State Mayor of Durham Chairman of the Commissioners of the County Justice of the Peace for Fifty Years His life was given to the service of his neighbors to whom he was ever a symbol of . . . — Map (db m126184) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — Meeting of the Generals
On Bennett Memorial Road, on the right when traveling east.
On April 17, 1865, Maj. Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman and Gen. Joseph Eggleston Johnston met on this section of the Raleigh to Hillsboro Road at the home of James and Nancy Bennett to negotiate a peace settlement to end the war. Staff officers, . . . — Map (db m125325) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — G 98 — N. C. Society of Engineers
On North Roxboro Street (Business U.S. 70) north of East Main Street, on the left when traveling north.
Organized in 1918 in the Malbourne Hotel, which stood here. J.N. Ambler elected first president. — Map (db m126161) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — North CarolinaCivil War Trails
Near Duke Homestead Road.
North Carolina’s Civil War stories are as diverse as its landscape. The Outer Banks and coastal rivers saw action early in the war, as Union forces occupied the region. Stories abound of naval battles, blockade running, Federal raids and the . . . — Map (db m37830) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — North CarolinaCivil War Trails
On Bennett Memorial Road, on the right when traveling east.
North Carolina’s Civil War stories are as diverse as its landscape. The Outer Banks and coastal rivers saw action early in the war, as Union forces occupied the region. Stories abound of naval battles, blockade running, Federal raids and the . . . — Map (db m58392) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — North CarolinaCivil War Trails
On Blackwell Street at Dillard Street, on the right when traveling north on Blackwell Street.
North Carolina’s Civil War stories are as diverse as its landscape. The Outer Banks and coastal rivers saw action early in the war, as Union forces occupied the region. Stories abound of naval battles, blockade running, Federal raids and the . . . — Map (db m63217) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — G 53 — North Carolina Central University
On South Alston Avenue at East Lawson Street, on the left when traveling north on South Alston Avenue.
Founded 1910 by James E. Shepard for Negroes. State liberal arts college, 1925-1969. Now a regional university. — Map (db m39613) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — Roll of Honor1941-1945
On East Main Street west of South Roxboro Street (Business U.S. 70), on the right when traveling east.
In honor of those who answered their country's call in World War II the Durham Exchange Club dedicates this memorial [Names listed] "This prayer we make in penitence that all who pass by here may sense the costliness . . . — Map (db m126186) WM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — Rotary Bandstand
Near Bennett Memorial Road, on the right when traveling east.
Erected by the Rotary Club of Durham as its first community gift in November, 1916. Originally located in Rotary Park in downtown Durham; Relocated to Bennet Place Memorial Park in 1924. Refurbished and rededicated by the Rotary Club of Durham on . . . — Map (db m125324) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — G 123 — Royal Ice Cream Sit-In
On North Roxboro Street (Business U.S. 15) at Dowd Street, on the right when traveling north on North Roxboro Street.
Segregation protest at an ice cream parlor on this site, June 23, 1957, led to court case testing dual racial facilities — Map (db m69961) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — G-114 — Rural Credit Union
On State Highway 54 0.1 miles east of South Alston Avenue (State Highway 1945), on the right when traveling west.
Lowes Grove credit union, first in South, formed to serve local farmers. Est. Dec. 9, 1915, on initiative of John Sprunt Hill — Map (db m71344) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — Shepard HouseNorth Carolina Central University Historical Marker
On Fayetteville Street south of Brant Street, on the right when traveling south.
The house was built in 1925 for Dr. James E. Shepard, founder and first president of North Carolina Central University, and his family, with funds collected until his death in 1947. The State of North Carolina purchased the home in 1949, and it . . . — Map (db m126191) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — 12 — St. Philip's Episcopal Church1907 — Historic Preservation Society of Durham —
On East Main Street east of North Queen Street, on the right when traveling west.
Church building designed in the Rural English Gothic style by the noted Boston architect Ralph Adams Cram. It stands on the site of the original frame church built in 1880. Downtown Durham Historic District — Map (db m126188) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — The Original Chimney of the Bennett House
On Bennett Memorial Road, on the right when traveling east.
The original Bennett House, which burned on October 12, 1921, faced east on the old Hillsboro Road; the road ran in 1865 as now, south of the building. The structure consisted of one room downstairs and a small room over it; in the former Generals . . . — Map (db m58326) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — Unity
On Bennett Memorial Road, on the right when traveling east.
One hundred feet east of this spot in the Bennett House General Joseph E. Johnston and Major General William T. Sherman met at noon, April 17, 1865, to discuss terms of a proposed surrender. They met in this house again on April 18 and wrote and . . . — Map (db m58396) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — Visionary Leadership in the New South1890 - 1915
On East Chapel Hill Street at West Main Street, on the right when traveling east on East Chapel Hill Street.
Black leaders John Merrick, R.B. Fitzgerald, A.M. Moore, J.A. Dodson, J.R. Hawkins, W.G. Pearson, J.E. Shepard, C.C. Spaulding, S.L. Warren, and G.W. Stephens created successful business, educational, and cultural institutions in Durham despite . . . — Map (db m126155) HM
North Carolina (Durham County), Durham — West Point Truce LineWaiting, Looting, and Shooting — Carolinas Campaign —
Near North Roxboro Road (U.S. 501).
(Preface) The Carolinas Campaign began on February 1, 1865, when Union Gen. William T. Sherman led his army north from Savannah, Georgia, after the “March to the Sea.” Sherman’s objective was to join Gen. Ulysses S. Grant in Virginia to . . . — Map (db m45346) HM

45 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement