Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Education Historical Markers

424 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 224
 
Allegany County Academy Marker image, Touch for more information
By Devry Becker Jones, September 1, 2019
Allegany County Academy Marker
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Allegany County AcademyCivil War Hospital
During the Civil War, enormous numbers of sick and wounded soldiers overwhelmed both medical science and available hospitals. Approximately fifteen buildings in Cumberland were pressed into service to care for the maimed and ill. Besides warehouses, . . . — Map (db m139091) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Allegany County LibraryCumberland Free Public Library
Top Name of Cumberland Free Public Library changed to Allegany County Library July 1, 1960 Bottom 1798 • First public school in Western Maryland incorporated under Act of 1798 as "Visitors of Allegany County School." 1824 • School name changed to . . . — Map (db m17676) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Cumberland — Col. Joshua Fry
Memorial in honor of Col. Joshua Fry Born c. 1700 in England 1731 • Professor of mathematics at William and Mary College, Planter in Albemarle County, Virginia, Member of House of Burgesses, First presiding judge of Albemarle County, . . . — Map (db m54023) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Flintstone — Twin Oaks Trail

This trail allows the hiker to experience Green Ridge State Forest in miniature. The trail follows ridges and valleys along mountain streams and crosses open fields. One section of the trail opens up into an expansive view of Town Hill and the . . . — Map (db m95913) HM

Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Allen Hall
In 1957 Wendell D. Allen Residence Hall for men was completed. This building was named for the member of the State Board of Education who served in 1935, 1942, 1949, and 1956, and served as Board President 1952 - 1957. — Map (db m134380) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Chesapeake Hall
In 1970, Chesapeake Dining Hall was completed. This building was named after the Chesapeake Bay. — Map (db m134534) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Cook Chapel
In 1963, Cook chapel was completed. It was located in the former dining room of Frost Hall and named for Carrie Edith Ricketts Cook, an English Instructor, who taught from 1925 to 1937. — Map (db m134384) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Cumberland Hall
In 1986, Cumberland Residence Hall was completed. This hall was named for the closest major city to Frostburg. — Map (db m134531) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Dunkle Hall
In 1970, Dunkle Hall was completed. This building was named for John L. Dunkle, Principal and President of Normal School #2 at Frostburg State Teachers College from 1923 - 1944. — Map (db m134528) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Elisabeth Hitchens Administration Building
In 1978, the Administration Building opened. This building was dedicated in 1982 as the Elisabeth Hitchens Administration building to honor a 40-year employee of the College. Hitchins was the institution's first registrar (1934) and the first . . . — Map (db m134389) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Faculty Hall
In 1913, a new gymnasium and elementary school were completed. It was demolished in 1985. — Map (db m134381) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Frampton Hall
In 1965, the Jerome Frampton, Jr., library was completed. This building was named for the President of the State Board of Education. — Map (db m134527) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Frederick Hall
In 1971, Frederick Residence Hall was completed. The building was named by popular student vote. — Map (db m134532) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Frost Hall
In 1919, Frost Hall opened. Named for Catherine Frost, the daughter-in-law of the founder of Frostburg, this was the first residence hall and was designated for Women. — Map (db m134386) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Fuller House
In 1968, Fuller House was acquired by the college. This building is the former residence of William Fuller, grandson of one of Old Main's builders. — Map (db m134387) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Gunter Hall
In 1960, Gunter Hall opened as the new student center. Named for William A. Gunter, local attorney and former president of both the State Board of College Trustees and State Board of Education, this building originally housed a dining hall, snack . . . — Map (db m134378) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Lewis J. Ort Library
In 1976, the library opened as the fourth location for institutional book holdings. In 1990, this building was named as the Lewis J. Ort Library to honor local business man and philanthropist. — Map (db m134529) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Lowndes Hall
In 1954 Lowndes Hall was completed. This building was named for two members of the Lowndes family - Lloyd, former governor of Maryland, and his son Taster, former President of the Maryland Board of Education. — Map (db m134530) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Nelson P. Guild Center
The Nelson P. Guild Human Resources Center opened in 1986, incorporating several existing buildings: Alleghany Hall, the second Laboratory School, and Garrett Hall. The Center is named for Dr. Nelson P. Guild, sixth president of the University . . . — Map (db m134526) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — 11 — Old Main
Frostburg State College was founded as a "Normal" school (two-year institution) by an act of the Maryland General Assembly in 1893. The cornerstone for Old Main, first building erected for the college, was laid in 1899. The school opened in 1902 and . . . — Map (db m134382) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Old Main
Ground was broken for Old Main on June 27, 1899. It was completed in 1900. This building was originally known as the Normal School. The colloquial use of the phrase "Old Main" was confirmed with the building's dedication in 1957. — Map (db m134383) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Public Safety Building
In 1983, the Public Safety Building opened. This building was formerly the Lincoln School, a public school for African-American students. — Map (db m134385) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Pullen Hall
Pullen Hall, opened in 1959, is named for Dr. Thomas G. Pullen, Jr., State Superintendent of Schools. The building originally served as the third location of the laboratory elementary school and now houses various student service departments. — Map (db m134388) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Simpson Hall
In 1957, I. Jewell Simpson Residence Hall for women was completed. This building was named for the State Supervisor of Elementary Schools who served as the Assistant State Superintendent of Schools for Elementary Instruction. — Map (db m134379) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Sowers Hall
In 1965, Lowell Martin Sowers, Sr., Residence Hall for men was completed. This building was named for the college science professor who taught from 1950 - 1961. — Map (db m134525) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Frostburg — Westminster Hall
In 1972, Westminster Residence Hall was completed. The building was named by popular student vote. — Map (db m134533) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Lonaconing — Coming Home to Lonaconing
In 1929, Grove opened "Lefty's Place"—a duckpin and ten-pin bowling alley and pool hall located diagonally from Lefty Grove Memorial Park, on Union Street. He operated the establishment, with help during the baseball season, until 1961. . . . — Map (db m139842) HM
Maryland (Allegany County), Lonaconing — Dedicated to Mary E. Myers1914 - 2008
Mary led the effort in forming the Lonaconing Furnace Park Association for preserving the Lonaconing Iron Furnace, now a historic landmark, and in establishing the community park at this location. Revered and beloved as a public school teacher for . . . — Map (db m139086) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — A Community LegacyWest Street — The Banneker-Douglass Museum —
1984 Banneker-Douglass Museum As the official museum of African-American history and culture for the State of Maryland, the Banneker-Douglass Museum is dedicated to discovering documenting, preserving and promoting . . . — Map (db m114557) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Alexander Magruder
To honor the three hundredth anniversary of the coming to Maryland circa 1652 of Alexander Magruder, founder and progenitor of the Magruder family in America, and to the men of his blood who have been students at St. John's College. — Map (db m5417) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Alumni Arch
Alumni Arch in honor of Captain William S. Busik and all Naval Academy Alumni, Past, Present, and Future. "Barnacle Bill" was an All-American standout on the Navy Football team until his accelerated graduation . . . — Map (db m127946) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Clay Street Community MontageAnnapolis Charter 300 1708-2008
This montage is the collaborative effort of George "Lassie" Belt, children from the Stanton Community Center (listed below), and Artwalk curator, Sally Wern Comport. This artwork, part of the Annapolis 300 celebration, is at the entrance to the Clay . . . — Map (db m130944) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Coastal EvolutionMarket House — The Shoreline of Annapolis —
1878 City Dock in Annapolis In the 1700s, the shore of Annapolis followed approximately along the line of buildings that now front Dock Street, Market Space, and part of Compromise Street—everything closer to the water is . . . — Map (db m114794) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Eastport's Oldest House
This is the oldest house in Eastport. For nearly 100 years it belonged to the Williams family. Jonas and Louisa Williams and their eight children moved here in 1876. They used the first floor as a grocery store, selling homemade sauerkraut to . . . — Map (db m114880) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Fort Severn and the United States Naval Academy
. . . — Map (db m66415) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Francis Scott Key1814 - 1914
. . . — Map (db m5421) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Henry Hays Lockwood1814-1899
Cadet West Point 1832-6; Lieutenant U.S. Army 1836-7; Professor of Mathematics U.S.N. 1841—99. Brigadier General U.S.V. 1861-5; Naval Academy 1845-61 and 1866-71.

One of the founders of the Naval Academy, his life’s best years were . . . — Map (db m108106) HM

Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Iglehart
Iglehart 1708 Mansion Ridge Road is listed on National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior c. 1811 — Map (db m142375) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — In Honor of Albert Abraham Michelson1852 - 1931
Class of 1873. While Instructor at the Naval Academy in 11879 made first accurate measurement of speed of light. Invented interferometer. First American scientist to receive Nobel Prize, for physics in 1907. Performed with Morley ether drift . . . — Map (db m66015) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Japanese Ambassador Hirosi Saito
In memory of Japanese Ambassador Hirosi Saito who died in Washington on Jan 26, 1939 & whose remains were by order of President Franklin D Roosevelt conveyed on board the USS Astoria to his native land. In grateful appreciation of American . . . — Map (db m70122) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — King William's School
1696 - 1946. This tablet was fixed on McDowell Hall in 1946 to commemorate the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the founding of King William's School. To this hall in 1785, in the second year of the foundation of St. John's College, . . . — Map (db m5423) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Max E Bishop1899 - 1962 — In Memoriam —
Coach, counsellor and friend of the midshipmen, Max Bishop directed the baseball program at the Naval Academy for twenty-four highly successful years, from 1938 to 1962. His teams won 306 games while losing 143. This plaque is erected here on . . . — Map (db m142374) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Non Sibi Sed Patriae
"Not for self, but for country" is the motto of the USNA Class of 1966—it exemplifies the tie that eternally binds together our Class, a graduate's branch of service, the Naval Service as a whole. As a Class, we were forged in the . . . — Map (db m127933) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Old Treasury BuildingRestored 1950
This is the oldest state building in Maryland. It was used by the commissioners for emitting bills of credit from 1730 to 1779; by the Treasurer of the Western Shore from 1779 to 1851; by the Maryland State Treasurer from 1852 to 1903; and has been . . . — Map (db m5427) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Preble Hall
Preble Hall dedicated to Commodore Edward Preble, USN 1761-1807 Educator of Naval leaders and Commander of our squadron before Tripoli, 1803-04. — Map (db m114825) WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 3 — Sally Wern Comport's "Shaping a City"Annapolis Charter 300 1708-2008
Sally Wern Comport's two dimensional artwork "Shaping a City" on the Newman Park fence celebrates the foundation of our city: the working class, its farmers, its watermen, factory workers, carpenters, other highly skilled tradesmen, and suppliers of . . . — Map (db m114859) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Sampson Hall
Sampson Hall Named In Honor Of Rear Admiral William Thomas Sampson, U.S.N. 1840-1902 Head of Department of Physics and Chemistry Chief of Bureau of Ordnance Superintendent, U.S. Naval Academy Commander in . . . — Map (db m114853) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Smedberg Gate
The Smedberg Gate, sponsored by the USNA Class of 1958, honors Vice Admiral William R. Smedberg, III, USN, USNA Class of 1926, who served as Superintendent of the U.S. Naval Academy from 1956 to 1958. His inspirational leadership was the catalyst . . . — Map (db m127931) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — 7 — St. John's CollegeThe Naval War of 1812 in Annapolis — Don't Give Up the Ship —
St. John's College has a long, rich history dating back to the founding of our nation. Its earliest incarnation, a grammar or preparatory school named after King William III, was founded in Annapolis in 1696, one year after Maryland's capital was . . . — Map (db m63410) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Terwilliger Brothers Field
"Terwilliger Brothers Field" at the United States Naval Academy's Bishop Stadium baseball complex was dedicated in 2007 in recognition of a generous contribution by J. Ronald "Ron" Terwilliger, USNA Class of 1963, and his brother CDR Bruce K. . . . — Map (db m142373) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The Joseph R. Hunt Court
Joe Hunt transferred to the Navy Academy after having already won an intercollegiate national title in doubles (1938) while attending USC. A member of the U.S. Davis Cup team in 1939, Hunt won the intercollegiate national title in singles in 1941 as . . . — Map (db m114816) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The Navy Mascot
The Naval Academy has had a goat as its mascot since 1890 when, according to legend, on their march from the ferry station at Highland Falls up the steep hill to West Point to play the first Army-Navy football game, the Naval Cadets (as they were . . . — Map (db m6465) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The Old Fourth Ward1941 - 1951
"This is a Community Built on Brotherhood" Janice Hayes Williams, Historian This intersection of West and West Washington Streets is the gateway to the "Old Fourth Ward," Annapolis' historic African American community. Its distinctive . . . — Map (db m114537) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — The United States Naval Academy Bridge
A bridge has served this area since 1836 when a timber trestle bridge with a swing span was built across the Severn River. It was replaced with a concrete and steel low-level drawbridge in 1924. After more than 70 years it became necessary to . . . — Map (db m22547) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Thurgood Marshall1908-1993 — Equal Justice Under Law —
[Inscription in dark circle on plaza deck.] Thurgood Marshall's first major victory in his life-long struggle for equality under the law for all Americans took place in the Maryland Court of Appeals which then stood near this memorial. In . . . — Map (db m7706) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — United States Naval Academy
Presented to the United States Naval Academy by the Members of the Class of 1950 Initially on the occasion of their 30th Anniversary - April 1980 Updated yard/campus changes at their 50th Anniversary - April 2000 . . . — Map (db m114813) HM WM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Arnold — Historic Annapolis
Historic Annapolis 5 miles United States Naval Academy — Map (db m2908) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Brooklyn Park — Formerly Brooklyn Park High School
Brooklyn Park High School opened its doors in September 1954, with Slater W. Bryant, Jr. as its first principal. Sounds of construction echoed down hallways, as workers hurried to finish the new building. Before closing in 1990, the school had . . . — Map (db m114459) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Crofton — Birthplace of Johns Hopkins
Founder of the Johns Hopkins University and the Johns Hopkins Hospital Born May 19, 1795. Died December 24, 1873. — Map (db m2927) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Eastport — Eastport's Soul
Many African-American families settled here more than a century ago. these families, who have lived here for four generations, are the heart and soul of this neighborhood. Their religious, educational and cultural institutions are pillars of . . . — Map (db m5653) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — School for Bakers and CooksFort George G. Meade — United States Army —
In compliance with instructions contained in a letter from Adjutant General of the Army, dated March 17, 1924, a School for Bakers and Cooks was established at Camp Meade in April of that year. Throughout its existence at the post, the school's . . . — Map (db m19702) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Fort Meade — The Tank School and Tank CorpsFort George G. Meade — United States Army —
When Great Britain introduced tank warfare to the battlefields of World War I, the face of battle changed forever. By providing support to infantry attacks, the usefulness of tanks was proven. For this reason, on January 26, 1918, Brigadier General . . . — Map (db m19703) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Glen Burnie — Marley Neck School
This historic school is a significant example of a Rosenwald School design and represents a landmark era in black education in the period before federal support of local education. The school was built in 1927 with funds raised by the local . . . — Map (db m9035) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Harmans — Harmans
An African American community and church were established nearby in the mid 19th century. In 1918 the Benevolent Sons and Daughters of Abraham, a mutual aid society, purchased and donated land on this site for a two-room school which was built . . . — Map (db m49729) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Millersville — Anne Arundel Academy1854-1924
Site of private high school for boys and girls. Its aim: “To create a love for labor, honesty and a high moral life.” Phil Moore Leakin, founder and first principle, taught in rented log house, later in one-story school erected at cost . . . — Map (db m2881) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Pasadena — Freetown
Established in the mid 19th century on land owned by Capt. James Spencer, who served in the Union Army during the Civil War, Freetown illustrates the principles of self-sufficiency and cooperation typical of African American communities. The first . . . — Map (db m13567) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Pumphrey — Pumphrey Elementary School
Completed in 1923 on Berlin Avenue under the Rosenwald Program, which was instrumental in the education of African Americans in the early 20th century. The fund provided matching grants for more than 5,000 schools, shops, and teachers' residences . . . — Map (db m79728) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — 9/11 Memorial Garden
The University of Baltimore dedicates this garden to the memory of all those who lost their lives in the terrorist attacks on 9/11/01, especially those who were members of our UB community: Joseph V. Maggitti, B.S. '75 Seamus Oneal, M.S. . . . — Map (db m130518) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Acquiring Fame: Mount Vernon CelebritiesMount Vernon Cultural Walk
In 1903, the Belvedere Hotel became the crowning architectural achievement in the neighborhood. Its signature thirty-five-foot mansard roof has become the symbol for upper Mount Vernon. In the late 1970s, the building was rehabilitated into . . . — Map (db m102915) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — April D. RyanInducted into the School of Global Journalism & Communication's Garden of Fame
A 1989 graduate of Morgan State University, Ryan began her journalism career as a reporter for the school's campus radio station's WEAA-FM. Just a decade later, Ryan was named the White House correspondent for a Washington bureau chief for the . . . — Map (db m145922) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Babe Ruth Birthplace Museum
George Herman Ruth, better known to the world as Babe Ruth, baseball's famous "Sultan of Swat," was born here in the home of his maternal grandparents on February 6, 1895. Famous for his record-breaking statistics and flamboyant style, Babe was . . . — Map (db m125679) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Baltimore Infirmary
On this site in 1823 the faculty of the University of Maryland College of Medicine erected the Baltimore Infirmary, the first teaching hospital associated with a degree-granting school of medicine and the original residency program in medical . . . — Map (db m10006) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Breaking Boundaries: Reverence, Renovation, and Rock and RollMount Vernon Cultural Walk
In the early 1950s, the 900 block of Tyson Street made national news for its dramatic transformation from a dilapidated street of falling down houses to a street framed by quaint pastel-colored homes. In 1948, City inspectors had condemned Tyson . . . — Map (db m102864) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Building Atop the Burying Ground
When leaders of First Presbyterian Church decided to build an new church atop their 18th-century burying ground, they hoped to serve Baltimore’s growing west end and protect their burial place from being diverted to other uses. Construction . . . — Map (db m2413) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Buy Where You Can Work Campaign & Higher EducationPennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail
Although the Pennsylvania Avenue of the 1920s was Baltimore’s premier shopping district for African Americans, many of the businesses that served them were owned by whites who refused to hire African Americans from the neighborhood. In 1933, . . . — Map (db m102023) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Carnegie Hall[Morgan State University]
Carnegie Hall (1919) is the oldest building on Morgan's campus and is named for Scottish American industrialist Andrew Carnegie, who in 1915 made an original and conditional grant of $50,000 for the erection of the central academic building. The . . . — Map (db m145928) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Church Home and Hospital1857-1982
Church Home and Hospital and the Church Home and Hospital Nursing Alumnae Association celebrates 142 years of compassionate care to the infirmed, injured and aged.

“We won’t forget the ensign on the hill” Dedicated April 30, 2000. — Map (db m102835) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Curt Richter, Ph. D. / Gary Moore1894-1988 / 1915-1993
. . . — Map (db m6476) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Daniel Coit Gilman1831-1908
First President of Johns Hopkins University. First director of John Hopkins Hospital. A pathfinder in American graduate and professional education. — Map (db m6559) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Davidge Hall
Davidge Hall, constructed in 1812, is named for the first dean of the University of Maryland School of Medicine, Dr. John B. Davidge. Noted for its unique classical appearance, it is the oldest building in the country used continuously for medical . . . — Map (db m15057) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Douglas L. FrostVice President Development 1966-2006
Transforming Mount Royal Station captured his imagination. Fostering art, artists, and community captured his creativity. Strengthening the College has become his legacy.

Frost Plaza Names in gratitude for his contributions to shaping . . . — Map (db m102743) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Dr. Charles W. SimmonsFounder and President of Sojourner-Douglass College
Sojourner-Douglass College was established in 1972, in Baltimore, Maryland as the Homestead Montebello Center of Antioch College. The idea was conceived under the leadership of the first president, Dr. Charles W. Simmons, in response to the . . . — Map (db m145935) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Dr. William V. Lockwood
Dr. William V. Lockwood was the first Vice President Emeritus of Baltimore Community College. His vision, uncompromising work ethic, and life long devotion to educational advancement made him instrumental in transforming the dream of the Harbor . . . — Map (db m115221) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Earl Carey Banks
Born: June 11, 1924 - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Died: October 27, 1993 - Baltimore, Maryland Morgan State Head Football Coach: 1960 - 1973 Morgan State Director of Athletics: 1970 - 1983 Football Coaching Record at MSU: 96 wins, 31 . . . — Map (db m145932) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Eastern High School Monument
(Panel on the left) The Good Shepherd in honor of: Lizette Woodworth Reese, Poetess, Grace Trunbull, Sculptress.

(Panel on the right) Dedicated by Eastern High School graduates in honor and memory of their teachers and alumni 1844-1986. — Map (db m102703) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Eddie Paulette Hurt
Born: February 12, 1900 - Brookneal, Virginia Died: March 24, 1989 - Baltimore, Maryland Morgan State Head Football Coach: 1929 - 1959 Morgan State Track and Field Coach: 1929 - 1970 Morgan State Director of Athletics: 1958 - 1970 . . . — Map (db m145931) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Edgar Allan Poe House
“The little house in the lowly street with the lovely name.” This was how Edgar Allan Poe described 203 Amity Street, where he lived from 1832 to 1835 with his grandmother, aunt, and cousin Virginia, whom he married in 1836. While . . . — Map (db m2506) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Edith Hamilton1867-1963
Classicist author of The Greek Way. A leader in women's day-schooling First headmistress of Bryn Mawr School. *** Alice Hamilton, M.D. 1869-1970 Founder of industrial hygiene, pioneer in removing lead from paint. Harvard's first woman . . . — Map (db m6466) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Educating Baltimore: Music, History and AcademiaMount Vernon Cultural Walk
Across Howard Street, Johns Hopkins University opened in 1876 as America’s first research university. The University attracted and trained some of the best minds of the 19th century: philosophers Josiah Royce and Charles Sanders Pierce; physician . . . — Map (db m102805) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Enoch Pratt Free Library
In 1882, the merchant Enoch Pratt, wishing to make a gift to his adopted city which would benefit all of her citizens, gave Baltimore $1,058,000 to establish a public library. The original building fronted on Mulberry Street. Designed by the . . . — Map (db m5561) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Ernest Stebbins, M.D.1901-1987
Early advisor to the World Health Organization. New York City Health Commissioner. Long time dean of Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health. — Map (db m6581) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Eubie Blake National Jazz Institute and Cultural Center
The Eubie Blake National Jazz Institute and Cultural Center, founded in 1981 was a rich history which started over 25 years ago when the organization began as a Model Cities Arts Program. The estate of James Hubert Blake, better known as . . . — Map (db m102810) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Expanding the American Intellect: Icons and IconoclastsMount Vernon Cultural Walk
“My library,” Enoch Pratt said, “shall be for all, rich and poor without distinction of race or color, who, when properly accredited, can take out the books if they will handle them carefully and return them.” In 1886, with . . . — Map (db m88270) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Family and Children’s Services of Central Maryland
Welcome to the Memorial Garden of Family and Children’s Services of Central Maryland. In Honor of Families and Children and their strivings to succeed-enter to enjoy, reflect, celebrate, remember and heal.

Established September 3, 1998 on the . . . — Map (db m101956) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — First Dental College
Baltimore College of Dental Surgery, first dental college in the world chartered by the General Assembly of Maryland March 6, 1840. Founders were Horace H. Hayden, M.D., D.D.S. and Chap A. Harris M.D., D.D.S. The Assembly stipulated by Act of . . . — Map (db m2530) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Florence Rena Sabin, M.D.1871-1953
First woman full professor at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. Introducer of techniques for staining living cells. Reformer of Colorado's health laws. Her statue stands in the U.S. Capitol. — Map (db m6475) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Franklin P. Mall, M.D.1862-1919
First Johns Hopkins Professor of Anatomy. After 1914, also first Director of the Department of Embryology at Washington's Carnegie Institution, where he pioneered embryological research. — Map (db m6480) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Frederick Douglass SculptureFrederick Douglass-Isaac Myers Maritime Park
Frederick Douglass is one of the best-known Americans of the 19th century. Schools, churches and other community buildings across the United States have been named after him. Known for bravery, vision and insightfulness, Douglas fought for the . . . — Map (db m103409) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Generating Electricity from the Sun
On the wall above this sign, on the roofs of the Science Center and the parking to your right are solar panels that contain many photovoltaic (PV) cells. These PV cells convert light from the sun directly into electricity.

The PV cells are . . . — Map (db m103094) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Goucher Hall
The Woman’s College of Baltimore was founded in 1884, when Reverend John Franklin Goucher, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and his wife, Mary C. Fisher, offered land and $150,000 to establish a college for women.

The first class of . . . — Map (db m102849) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Groove Phi Groove Social Fellowship, Inc.
Founded at Morgan State College October 12, 1962 "We've come this far by faith" The International Membership of Groove Phi Groove Social Fellowship, Inc.® National Presidents
Lenwood W. Harris, Jr. 1969/1970-1971 . . . — Map (db m145929) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Gwynns Falls TrailBlocking the Interstate
Norman Reeves, a member of the Baltimore City Council, was an active opponent of the expressway. A Leaking Park trail is named in his memory.—Barbara Mikulski, an activist social worker and Fells Point resident, and later City Council member, . . . — Map (db m103766) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Gwynns Falls TrailGwynns Falls Park at I-70/Franklintown
Here at Interstate 70, this hiking and biking trail runs 15 miles through nearby Franklintown and the Gwynns Falls valley to the Inner Harbor in downtown Baltimore and the Middle Branch of the Patapsco River, a tributary of the Chesapeake Bay. The . . . — Map (db m114588) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — H. Irvine Keyser
This site and these buildings were presented to the Maryland Historical Society as a memorial to my husband H. Irvine Keyser of Baltimore. Obit May 7, 1916. A member of the Society 1873 to 1916. — Map (db m2527) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Hans Froehlicher, Jr.
Hans Froehlicher, Jr. 1891-1976 Civic educator and activist. Headmaster of Park School. Co-founder and President of the Citizens Planning and Housing Association. With his wife Frances, founded the Better Air Coalition. — Map (db m142891) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Henry Highland Garnett SchoolThurgood Marshall Elementary School PS 103 — Upton's Henry Highland Garnett Community Center —
PS 103 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Old West Baltimore National Register Historic District. It is one of the attractions along the Pennsylvania Avenue Heritage Trail scheduled to open in 2008 by the Baltimore . . . — Map (db m101955) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Holmes Hall[Morgan State University]
Holmes Hall (1949) The building was named in honor of Dr. Dwight Oliver Wendell Holmes, the sixth President of Morgan College (1937-48). Dr. Holmes successfully guided the destinies of the College during a critical period in our nation's history, . . . — Map (db m145927) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Homewood
Property purchased in 1800 by Charles Carroll, signer of the Declaration of Independence, as a wedding present for his only son, Charles and bride Harriett Chew of Philadelphia. The younger Charles designed and oversaw the building of the . . . — Map (db m18315) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Howard A. Kelly, M.D.1858-1943
"Wizard of the operating room." First Johns Hopkins Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics. First head of gynecology, Johns Hopkins Hospital. Early user of radium to treat cancer. — Map (db m6565) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc.ΙΦΘ
Founded at Morgan State College (University) on September 19, 1963 Motto "Building a Tradition Not Resting Upon One" The Founding Principles of Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc. Leadership Scholarship . . . — Map (db m145930) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Jacob J. Abel, M.D.1857-1938
Pioneer researcher on adrenalin, insulin, and the artificial kidney. First Professor of Pharmacology at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. For 40 years the leading pharmacologist in America. — Map (db m6569) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Jesse Lazear, M.D.1866-1900
Johns Hopkins researcher in Cuba. To find the cause of yellow fever he courageously exposed himself to virus-infected mosquitoes and died of the disease, thereby proving the route of transmission. — Map (db m6583) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — John McDonogh
1737-1809 Elizabeth McDonogh 1746-1808 Parents of John McDonogh Founder McDonogh School for Boys Restored by The McDonogh Alumni Association 1949 — Map (db m6631) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Joseph H. Lockerman and the Coppin Normal SchoolBaltimore Black History
In 1923, flags at black schools across Baltimore flew at half-mast to mourn the death of Joseph Lockerman. Nicknamed “Moses” for his leadership and quite dignity, he grew up in Caroline County, where two white teachers noticed and . . . — Map (db m101498) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Keyser Quadrangle
Named for William Keyser who was the moving force behind the donation of the Homewood property to Johns Hopkins. He contributed 62 acres and also organized the donation of other land by Samuel Keyser, Francis M. Jencks, William H. Buckler, and . . . — Map (db m6122) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Laurance Page Roberts
Laurance Page Roberts 1907-2002 Director of the Brooklyn Museum, the American Academy in Rome, and the New York State Council on the Arts, Scholar of Japanese art.

Isabel Spaulding Roberts 1911-2003 First woman Director of the Brooklyn Museum. — Map (db m142863) HM

Maryland, Baltimore — Leakin Park at the Crimea EstateGwynns Falls Trail
Leakin Park provides tennis courts, playgrounds, sports fields, picnic facilities, and woodlands for year-around public use. This property was once a part of Thomas de Kay Winans’ country estate, Crimea, purchased by the city in the 1940s with . . . — Map (db m102631) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Lillie Carroll Jackson Museum
"God opened my mouth and no man can shut it." With this firm belief in God and herself, "Ma" Jackson acieved extraordinary success in securing equal rights for blacks in Baltimore and Maryland. Born in 1889, she began fighting for black equality and . . . — Map (db m6562) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Living Classrooms Foundation
Lady Maryland The Lady Maryland is an authentic replica of a pungy schooner, a Chesapeake Bay workboat that sailed the Bay in the 1700s and 1800s. Pungies were fast sailing vessels and were primarily used to transport perishable cargo such as . . . — Map (db m6126) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Lucille CliftonBaltimore Black History
Lucille Clifton lived in West Baltimore from 1967. She became poet-in-residence at Coppin State University in 1971. By 1974, she had published two important collections of poetry that focused on black urban life at a very personal level. The . . . — Map (db m101478) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Maryland Historical Society
The Maryland Historical Society (MdHS) is the state's oldest continuously operating cultural institution. Founded in 1844, it was first located in the Athenaeum at St. Paul and Saratoga Streets. In 1919 it moved to its current location on W. . . . — Map (db m10249) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — McKim Free School
Before Baltimore's public school system opened in 1829, education was the concern of charitable and religious organizations. An early leader in the education movement was the McKim Free School, established through a bequest of Quaker merchant John . . . — Map (db m7071) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Morgan State University
Welcome to Morgan State University For over 140 years, Morgan State University has been an important part of the higher education system in Baltimore City, the State of Maryland, and the nation. Throughout its history, Morgan has served the . . . — Map (db m145933) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mother Lange and the Oblate Sisters of ProvidenceBaltimore Black History
Born in Haiti in 1784, Elizabeth Clovis Lange immigrated to Baltimore where she taught children of French-speaking black immigrants. In 1829, she formed the Oblate Sisters of Providence, the nation’s first black Catholic order, and guided it through . . . — Map (db m101479) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mount Royal StationThriving Community-Cultural Icon
With the 1960s renovation completed, the station became a point of pride once again-for Baltimore and for MICA. It was an important factor in the college’s regional accreditation and the further growth of its enrollment and reputation. The . . . — Map (db m103542) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mount Vernon Cultural District
Mount Vernon Cultural District provides an unequaled richness of cultural experience. Since the founding of the Peabody Institute in 1857, Mount Vernon has enjoyed a continuing association with the arts. Nineteenth Century Philanthropist George . . . — Map (db m142378) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Old Dunbar High School
The striking architecture of Baltimore’s original Dunbar High School complements the school’s role in community empowerment and educational equality. Dunbar’s educators, students, and alumni worked to achieve the “equal” in the . . . — Map (db m101610) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Rochelle StevensInducted into the School of Global Journalism & Communication's Garden of Fame
Stevens graduated from Morgan State University in 1988 with a degree in telecommunications. But instead of pursuing a career in reporting on newsmakers she became one in a big way. While at Morgan State University, Stevens was a world class . . . — Map (db m145924) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Sidney Lanier1842-1881
Poet, musician and scholar, "The Sweet Singer of the South." First writer-in-residence at Johns Hopkins University. Teacher at Eutaw Place School. Author of The Boys' King Arthur. — Map (db m6563) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Solo Gibbs Park
Solo Gibbs Park was created in 1979 when 1-395 was built. The 1869 Sachse Bird's Eye View Illustrated Map shows the once larger neighborhood where, since the late 1700s a free African American community lived, worked and worshipped along side . . . — Map (db m6356) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Spring House or Dairy - c. 1812The Baltimore Museum of Art
The spring house or dairy, originally situated over a small spring, was designed to keep perishables such as milk cool in interior troughs of spring water. It was located at Oakland, the country estate of Robert Goodloe Harper (1765-1827), . . . — Map (db m18326) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — St. Frances Academy
More than thirty years before the Civil War, when blacks and women were generally viewed as property, Father James Joubert and Elizabeth Lange founded the Oblate Sisters of Providence—a religious order of black women dedicated to educating the . . . — Map (db m102852) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — St. Mary's Seminary
Here, at the One Mile Tavern, in 1791, the Fathers of St. Sulpice (Paris, France) founded St. Mary's, the first Roman Catholic Seminary in the United States. Maryland was then a center of Catholic activity, with Baltimore having been selected at the . . . — Map (db m7186) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Burk Building1980
This building stands on the site of the College of Physicians and Surgeons Building circa 1880 — Map (db m131343) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The First Unitarian Church of Baltimore(Universalist and Unitarian)
In 1817, when Baltimore Town boasted 60,000 inhabitants and Mount Vernon Place was still a forest, a group of leading citizens met in the home of Henry Payson "to form a religious society and build a church for Christians who are Unitarian and . . . — Map (db m7168) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The McDonoghs of Baltimore
Baltimoreans associated the name McDonogh with a well-known private school founded in 1873. Buried here are the parents of the school's founder, Irish natives John (1734-1809) and Elizabeth McDonogh (1747-1808). John McDonogh, a brickmaker, took . . . — Map (db m6633) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The National Great Blacks in Wax Museum
The National Great Blacks in Wax Museum, Inc America's First Black History Wax Museum Taking you through the pages of timeMap (db m135972) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The North Avenue Poly Building
"You didn't go to Poly, you joined it." Such is the proud attitude of many Baltimoreans associated with this school, long considered to have one of the best college preparatory programs in the country. Conceived in 1883, the school opened its doors . . . — Map (db m135068) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Oblate Sisters of ProvidenceJuly 2, 1829
At this site, 610 George Street, under the leadership of foundress, Mother Mary Lange, four women took vows of consecrated chastity, evangelical poverty, and religious obedience. Thus began the Oblate Sisters of Providence, the first Congregation of . . . — Map (db m5559) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Peabody Conservatory
Established in 1857 by the philanthropist George Peabody, The Peabody Conservatory of Music was the first institution in America for the education of professional musicians. The list of those who have taught or studied here reads like a “Who’s . . . — Map (db m2411) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Peabody Library
In 1857, George Peabody’s founding letter dedicated the Peabody Institute to the citizens of Baltimore in appreciation for their “kindness and hospitality.” The Massachusetts-born philanthropist eventually moved to London where he built . . . — Map (db m2410) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — The Sheridan Libraries
. . . — Map (db m6124) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Thurgood Marshall House
"Why, of all the multitudinous groups of people in this country, do you have to single out Negroes and give them separate treatment?" Thurgood Marshall reproached the Supreme Court with this and other questions in the landmark civil rights case . . . — Map (db m6636) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Westside
The Westside of Downtown Baltimore boasts an astonishing variety of architectural styles from early 19th century Federal townhouses to Reconstruction-era cast-iron facades to Art Deco storefronts. The one-time heart of the City, the Westside's . . . — Map (db m115207) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — William C. (Bill) RhodenInducted into the School of Global Journalism & Communication's Garden of Fame
A 1973 graduate of Morgan State University, Rhoden worked as the school's assistant sports information director while still a student. After graduating, he joined Ebony magazine as an associate editor in 1974. Four years later Rhoden became a . . . — Map (db m145925) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — William Edwards Stevenson1900-1985
Boyhood home of the President of Oberlin College and head of Aspen Humanities Institute. Ambassador to the Philippines. Olympic Gold Medalist for the 1600 meter relay in 1924. — Map (db m6468) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — William H. Howell, Ph.D.1860-1945
Discoverer of the anticoagulant heparin. First Professor of Physiology and early Dean at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. Second director of the Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health. — Map (db m6464) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — William H. Welch House
. . . — Map (db m6016) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — William Stewart Halsted, M.D.1852-1922
One of America's most influential surgeons. Surgical innovator and teacher. First Johns Hopkins Professor of Surgery. First head of surgery, Johns Hopkins Hospital. — Map (db m6547) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — William Sydney Thayer, M.D.1864-1932
Much decorated Chief Medical Consultant to American Expeditionary Forces in World War I. President of the American Medical Association. Fourth Johns Hopkins University Professor of Medicine. — Map (db m6554) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Woodrow Wilson1864-1932
Coming to this house as a Hopkins Ph.D. candidate was the first step towards Princeton University's presidency, New Jersey's governorship and the White House. — Map (db m6558) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Zion Lutheran Church
Founder in 1755, Zion Church is the oldest Lutheran congregation in Maryland. German Lutherans began settling in Baltimore Town shortly after it was laid out in 1730. Relying on itinerant preachers from Pennsylvania, the small struggling community . . . — Map (db m2714) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Catonsville — A Civil Rights Milestone
On September 10, 1935, Black students Lucille Scott and Margaret Williams were denied admittance to Catonsville High School. NAACP attorney Thurgood Marshall filed suit. Although they lost the case, Maryland's Court of Appeals . . . — Map (db m128246) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Catonsville — George and Betsy Sherman Hall
Named in honor of George and Betsy Sherman, in recognition of their sustained generosity and deep commitment to making a difference through education. Their philanthropy in the Baltimore community has helped serve at-risk children and families, and . . . — Map (db m145235) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Catonsville — Janet and Walter Sondheim Hall
Named in honor of Baltimore's legendary civic leader and his wife, Sondheim Hall and the Janet and Walter Sondheim Public Affairs Scholars Program affirm UMBC's connections to Baltimore and the university's mission to integrate research, teaching . . . — Map (db m145236) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Catonsville — Joseph Beuys Tree Partnership2000 - 2001
The true capital of the world is the human ability for creativity, freedom and self-determination in all their working places. — Joseph Beuys Joseph Beuys Tree Partnership was inspired by the German . . . — Map (db m145237) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Catonsville — Robert and Jane Meyerhoff Chemistry Building
Named in honor of Robert and Jane Meyerhoff, whose commitment to nurturing the potential of others launched the Meyerhoff Scholarship program at UMBC and established the University as a leader in achieving both excellence and diversity. Their . . . — Map (db m145233) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Dundalk — Community Public Library
This tablet placed here by the citizens of Dundalk in greatful appreciation to the Bethlehem Steel Company for making this building available as a Community Public Library — Map (db m101205) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Freeland — Freeland
Freeland, Maryland is the last of the small rural villages in Northern Baltimore County that flourished along the route of the Northern Central Railroad during the late 1800's and early 1900's. It is located just 1-1/2 miles south of the Mason/Dixon . . . — Map (db m131332) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Garrison — Trentham
Named for free school of Trentham, Staffordshire, England, where Reverend Thomas Craddock had taught. When he married High Sheriff John Risteau’s daughter, this estate was her dowry. They built a house in 1746 and in 1747 he opened a boy’s boarding . . . — Map (db m2069) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Glyndon — Emory Grove
Founded in 1868 for the purpose of promoting the cause of morality and religion by holding camp meetings under the auspices of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Incorporated 1871 and reincorporated 1884 under present name of the Emory Grove . . . — Map (db m2066) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Halethorpe — Site of Manual Labor School for Indigent Boys1839 - 1922
"Baltimore Farm Where They Raise — Good, Honest Citizens", "Just outside the pretty little village of Arbutus, about seven miles from Baltimore, there is a farm whose principle product for 60 years has been men. It is a beautiful farm, too, . . . — Map (db m145239) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Lutherville-Timonium — Brooklandwood Plantation1798
Built by Charles Carroll of Carrollton for his daughter, Mary Caton. Site of the first Maryland Hunt Cup and Grand National Races. Owned successively by John Cockey, Charles Carroll, George Brown, Captain Isaac Emerson and Saint Paul's School . . . — Map (db m2273) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Lutherville-Timonium — Lutherville Historic DistrictNational Register of Historic Places — U.S. Department of the Interior, 1972 —
Lutherville, named for Martin Luther, was founded, 1852, by Dr. John G. Morris, a Lutheran clergyman, as the location of Lutherville Female Seminary. The planned village, centering around the Lutheran Church and Seminary, was surveyed into 118 lots . . . — Map (db m2298) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Middle River — The First Orems School1863 to 1927
Located near the corner of Orems Road and Glider Drive; adjacent to the West side of the Orems Methodist Church Cemetery. Built for the education of local students from Stemmers Run and Middle River. Originally a one-room log school house. . . . — Map (db m141242) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Oella — "Just One Nickel and I Could Ride"... in the Patapsco Heritage Area
The Trolley Trail runs on the track bed built for the #9 Route that connected Ellicott City to Catonsville and Baltimore. Many used the line to get to work or shop in Baltimore. "I could tell by the color whether to board the front or the . . . — Map (db m144720) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Reisterstown — Hannah More AcademyFounded 1832
Oldest Episcopal Boarding School for girls in the United States. Mrs. Ann Van Bibber Neilson gave three acres of land at this location and $10,000 to found and academy for girls. The academy became the Diocesan School for the Episcopal Diocese of . . . — Map (db m65292) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Reisterstown — Oldest High School in Baltimore County
Franklin Academy founded January 10, 1820 by an Act of the General Assembly of Maryland. On January 25, 1849 became a public school. Was Reisterstown High School from 1874–1896. Became Franklin High School in 1897. — Map (db m2062) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Reisterstown — Original Bell of the Franklin Academy

In service 1826 - 1914 Erected here by the Franklin Chapter of Future Farmers of America — Map (db m82240) HM

Maryland (Baltimore County), Reisterstown — Original Cornerstone of the Franklin Senior High School1905 - 1965

Relocated here by the Class of 1965 in honor of Mrs. Helen T. Reese Vice-Principal, Ret. — Map (db m82241) HM

Maryland (Baltimore County), Sparks Glencoe — Sparks
In 1835, the Baltimore and Susquehanna Railroad constructed a track through Baltimore County which included a siding and switch near a large tract of land owned by the Sparks family. Railroad officials gave the name Sparks to the switch and soon . . . — Map (db m95687) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — Goucher CollegeNational Votes for Women Trail — Road to the 19th Amendment —
Faculty & students campaigned for women’s suffrage, hosted suffrage seekers & marched in Washington DC 1913. Students picketed White House 1917. — Map (db m145894) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — Goucher College Springhouse
This springhouse was built in the eighteenth century and was part of the Epsom estate. It is the oldest known building on Goucher's campus. The first restoration was completed in 1979 in memory of Walter M. Morris, professor of religion from . . . — Map (db m144055) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — Guth Memorial Gateway
Honoring William Westley Guth Fourth President of Goucher College 1913 - 1929 Through his foresight this land was purchased in 1921 — Map (db m144058) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — The Fern Karesh Hurst '68 Terrace
Fern Karesh Hurst, Class of 1968, came to Goucher College from Charleston, South Carolina. She graduated with a degree in political science and received a master's degree in city planning from the University of Pennsylvania. An advocate for Goucher . . . — Map (db m144052) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Towson — War of 1812 Cannon
During the War of 1812, an armory was built near the intersection of Dulaney Valley and Joppa Roads. It was soon abandoned. In the 1830's, Henry Chew built a house on this site and decorated the lawn with a cannon from the deserted armory. The house . . . — Map (db m57136) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), White Marsh — Union of Brother and Sisters of Ford’s Asbury Lodge No. 1
Built for the African American Community in 1874 as a school for children in the Loreley area and as home to this “benevolent” society, founded in 1872. Beginning in the late 18th century, such mutual aid societies, often formed by . . . — Map (db m2082) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Port Republic — One-Room School
Port Republic School No. 7, built about 1870 and closed in 1932. One teacher usually taught seven grades. Children walked to school from as far as three miles away. In the 59 similar schools throughout Calvert County, enrollment averaged about 30. . . . — Map (db m3442) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Port Republic — School #7Rural One-Room School During Segregation — Calvert County — Port Republic —
Port Republic School #7 was built on this site around 1870 and remained in continuous use until it was closed in 1932. This school is from a time when free public education for all was a new concept in post-Civil War America. This schoolhouse . . . — Map (db m66097) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Prince Frederick — Old Wallville Schoolca. 1880-1934
Oldest standing one-room schoolhouse for African American students in Calvert County. Offered education for grades 1-7 in the Wallville community. Illustrates the segregated educational facilities of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. . . . — Map (db m54367) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Prince Frederick — Prince Frederick Library “Firsts”
The west wing of this library was built in 1903 on Main Street as the County’s first bank. In 1913, it was replaced, moved and became the County’s first library; 1916 County’s first Boy Scoot Troop met there; 1921 it was County’s first high school; . . . — Map (db m3454) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Prince Frederick — W. S. Brooks High School
The first public high school for African Americans in Calvert County was opened in 1938 and served until desegregation in 1966. Named for William Sampson Brooks (1865–1934). Born in Calvert County, Rev. Brooks was an advocate of education, . . . — Map (db m29522) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Becker House145 Charles Street — Outreach classroom and guest apartments. —
Built in 1924 by Clarence Davis as a general store operated by Gus, Sam and Hyman Becker; later converted to a laundromat. Acquired by CBL in 2000. — Map (db m138618) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Calvert Marine Museum's Dee of St. Mary's
Stats Like all Chesapeake skipjacks, the Dee of St. Mary's has a shallow draft to negotiate the waters along the shorelines and a wide bottom for stability. She is constructed mostly of white oak and spruce pine.
56' . . . — Map (db m138610) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Chesapeake Biological Laboratory
Founded by R.V. Truitt, 1925. Sponsored by Maryland Conservation Department since 1931, in cooperation with Carnegie Institution, Johns Hopkins and Maryland universities, Goucher, St. John's, Washington, and Western Maryland colleges "to afford a . . . — Map (db m3456) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Mansueti Laboratory146 Williams Street
Built in 1980 and dedicated in 1992 to honor Dr. Romeo Mansueti (1923-1964), a former CBL fishery scientist, naturalist, and biological illustrator. This building is home to CBL's administrative offices. Housed within are the Business . . . — Map (db m138619) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Parish House180 Farren Avenue
Built in 1954. After acquisition by CBL in 1991, it was named after the Solomons Episcopal Rectory and Parish House formerly occupying the site part of which had been used by CBL founder Dr. R. V. Truitt as a research laboratory. Home . . . — Map (db m138620) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — Saunders House140 Charles Street — Faculty and Staff offices and meeting facilities —
Built in the early 1890s as a general store and ice cream parlor run by Thomas and Bertie Saunders. In the 1930s it became a gathering place for local watermen. Acquired by CBL in 1994. — Map (db m138617) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Solomons — This flagpole
This flagpole is reputedly made from the mast of the sailing brogan James Aubrey. The mast was removed when the vessel was converted to power and used to transport students to the Solomons School from 1925 to 1935. The Solomons School is now . . . — Map (db m138611) HM
Maryland (Calvert County), Sunderland — Harriet Elizabeth Brown
During the period of racially segregated education, elementary school teacher Brown enlisted the N.A.A.C.P. and attorney Thurgood Marshall to challenge the inequity of separate salary scales for public school teachers based on race. Her case was . . . — Map (db m5573) HM
Maryland (Caroline County), Denton — Denton Schoolhouse
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior [Additional plaque nearby:] This 1883 schoolhouse and the colonial garden was owned by the . . . — Map (db m137766) HM
Maryland (Caroline County), Denton — Neck Meeting House
Neck or Tuckahoe Neck Meeting House was built in 1802 by members of the Society of Friends who had been Nicholites, a sect that originated in Caroline County. The building was used as a house of worship and as a Friends School until 1897. The . . . — Map (db m5075) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Keysville — Francis Scott Key
Francis Scott Key Author of The Star Spangled Banner Gave This Ground For Church And School Purposes In 1823 Erected by The P.O.S. of A. Of Maryland June 10, 1916 — Map (db m80086) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Marriottsville — Henryton School of Practical Nursing
In 1925, two years after the Maryland Tuberculosis Sanatorium opened in Henryton, a training school for nurses was established for black students in order to help manage the increasing patient population. The program was revised in 1945 to meet . . . — Map (db m96080) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Sykesville — The Historic Sykesville Colored Schoolhouse
Dedicated to the pupils and teachers who learned within these four walls. 1904 - 1939 Restoration dedicated on September 15, 2006 With appreciation to the organizations and individuals whose generous donations of time, expertise and revenues led . . . — Map (db m50194) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Taneytown — "Steps of the Sisters"St. Joseph Parish School — 1917 - 1972 —

School Sisters of Notre Dame

[Names of Sisters]

Dedication June 3, 2012 — Map (db m91273) HM

Maryland (Carroll County), Union Bridge — Blue Ridge College Bell1898 - 1913

Donated by Isaac A. and Betty Myers Sayler through Plymouth Masonic Lodge erected by Union Bridge Business Association June 20, 2009 ————————— Blue Ridge College [image]

Union . . . — Map (db m91341) HM

Maryland (Carroll County), Union Bridge — Elmer A. Wolfe High School

Elmer A. Wolfe High School was built just east of this site in 1931. The building was demolished in 1996 and replaced by the present Elmer A. Wolfe Elementary School. — Map (db m91315) HM

Maryland (Carroll County), Westminster — Carroll Hall / President's House / Levine Hall / Baker Chapel / Alumni Hall / Ward Memorial Arch
Carroll Hall - 1873 President's House - 1889 Levine Hall - 1891 Baker Chapel - 1895 Alumni Hall - 1896 Ward Memorial Arch - 1898 Designated Historical Places on the National Register U.S. Department of the . . . — Map (db m147270) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), Westminster — Landon C. Burns
Landon C. Burns was born in 1897 in Virginia. He graduated from the University of Maryland with a B.S. Degree in Agriculture Education and later earned an M.S. Degree in Rural Sociology. The man who was often called "Mr. Carroll County" was . . . — Map (db m114412) HM

424 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 224
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 9, 2020