Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Allegan County Michigan Historical Markers

 
Allegan County Marker and Civil War Monument image, Touch for more information
By Duane Hall, October 28, 2013
Allegan County Marker and Civil War Monument
Michigan (Allegan County), Allegan — Allegan Civil War Monument
Defenders of our Nation 1861. — 1865. — Map (db m69892) WM
Michigan (Allegan County), Allegan — S226 — Allegan County
Allegan County's name was coined by the noted student of the Indians, Henry Schoolcraft. The county was set off in 1831 and organized in 1835. Settlement of the county seat, Allegan, was promoted in 1835 by eastern capitalists who were attracted by . . . — Map (db m69891) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Allegan — L242 — Episcopal Church of Good Shepherd
On June 15, 1858, the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd was organized; its parish was admitted into the Diocese of Michigan two years later. Built in 1866-69, this Gothic structure was designed by Gordon W. Lloyd and first used for Divine . . . — Map (db m69890) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Allegan — James E. Mahan Park
By resolution of the Allegan City Council, this park is dedicated to the memory of JAMES E. MAHAN, M.D. 1895–1984 Dr. Mahan ministered to the needs of the Allegan area -- both in the personal and public health fields -- from 1931 . . . — Map (db m69900) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Allegan — S549A — The Second Street Bridge
This simply ornamented wrought-iron bridge was built in 1886. It replaced an earlier wooden one that had begun to fall into disrepair. Designed by the King Iron Bridge and Manufacturing Company of Cleveland, Ohio, the double-intersection Pratt truss . . . — Map (db m69901) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Allegan — Welcome to Allegan"Steamboat Alley"
"MEET ME AT COOK PARK, ALLEGAN, MICHIGAN" The steamer Mildred carried passengers to and from Cook Park until about the time of W.W.I. The park was located at Cady's Grove, about three miles upriver from the dock behind the bank in Allegan, . . . — Map (db m69899) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Douglas — L1801 — Douglas Union School
Side 1 In 1866, faced with the growth of what were then the separate villages of Douglas and Dudleyville, Saugatauk Township Districts No. 3 and 4 merged forming Union District No. 3. The Douglas Union School opened for classes in . . . — Map (db m45325) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Douglas — 1341 — Dr. Asa Goodrich House — Michigan Historic Site
Dr. Asa Goodrich House Built in 1872 — Map (db m45469) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Douglas — L1239 — Dutcher Lodge No. 193 / Douglas
Dutcher Lodge No. 193 Masons from Douglas, Fennville, and Saugatauk chartered Dutcher Lodge No. 193 on January 19, 1867. From 1867 to 1870 they held meetings in a building owned by Worshipful Master Thomas Dutcher. In 1875, the western . . . — Map (db m45393) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Douglas — Mt. Baldhead
Mt. Baldhead is one of Michigan’s tallest dunes. Local Indians used it for their White Dog ceremonial sacrifice. In 1884 it became a park with camping at the foot and observation tower on top. In 1890, the first Fat Mans Club dune climb took place, . . . — Map (db m73645) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Douglas — L1628 — Pier Cove
Surveyed in 1839, the village of Pier Cove was once hailed as "the busiest port between St. Joseph and Muskegon." Before the Civil War, Pier Cove was a bustling community and a major point for lumber distribution, with ships departing daily carrying . . . — Map (db m73498) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Douglas — 1472 — Sarah M. Kirby House — Michigan Historic Site
Sarah M. Kirby House Built in 1890 — Map (db m45473) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Douglas — The Old School HouseHistory Center and Back-in-Time Garden
The School House opened its doors in 1867, replacing a one-room school nearby. Known then as the Douglas Union School and part of a new public school consolidation movement in Michigan, the school offered classes at all grades—pioneering in . . . — Map (db m73644) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Douglas — Welcome to Historic Douglas
On its winding path to Lake Michigan, the Kalamazoo River separates the land of Saugatuck and Douglas. While the north bank pioneer settlements of Saugatuck and Singapore got their start in the 1830's, it was not until the 1850's that the opposite . . . — Map (db m73643) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Fennville — L589 — Fifty-Seventh Street Bridge
Spanning the Kalamazoo River, this 422-foot bridge is one of Michigan’s longest pony truss highway bridges, and among the oldest surviving swing bridges in the United States. The Milwaukee Bridge and Iron Company fabricated the $5,000 structure, . . . — Map (db m73574) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Fennville — Ganges Township Civil War Monument
(Front / West Panel) Ganges Volunteers S. Shepherd 2 CAV • U.M. Nichols 2 CAV • Loomis 3 CAV • W. Bicnell 3 CAV • S. Winn 3 CAV • R. Winn 3 CAV • J. Woodin 3 CAV • O.P. Taylor 5 CAV • J.M. Weaver 8 CAV • S.D. Tobey 8 CAV • W. . . . — Map (db m73510) WM
Michigan (Allegan County), Fennville — New Richmond Historical Timeline
  • 1825 - Trading post established by Louis Campau (a Frenchman) at the mouth of the Rabbit River approximately one mile upstream from what is now New Richmond.
  • 1825 - Mack’s Landing trading post established where Purdy’s Landing is now . . . — Map (db m73571) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Fennville — New Richmond History
New Richmond got its start in 1836, when three eastern investors, led by John Allen of Ann Arbor, arranged to found a city here. John Allen, a Virginian by birth, purchased 2240 acres in Allegan County on the north side of the Kalamazoo River just . . . — Map (db m73573) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Fennville — The Railroad & New Richmond
The railroad has been a central component of New Richmond’s history from the very beginning. The first railroad bridge crossing the Kalamazoo River at New Richmond was completed in 1871. It was originally built for the Chicago & Michigan Lake Shore . . . — Map (db m73572) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Fennville — Welcome to Fennville
The early settlement that eventually became Fennville was established where two log roads crossed at a low place along the town line road between Manlius and Clyde Townships. Early maps show a church and sawmill on the high ground to the west of the . . . — Map (db m73526) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Hamilton — L1318 — Oakland Christian Reformed Church
A Dutch settlement known as Oakland sprang up in this area about a decade after the founding of nearby Holland in 1847. Many residents worshipped with the Vriesland and Drenthe congregations until they formed their own churches. One group, North . . . — Map (db m73681) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Holland — L77 — Ebenezer Reformed Church
Members of the First Reformed Church in Holland founded this congregation in 1866 to provide a place of worship for the settlers living southeast of town. Heavy immigration from the Netherlands prompted this move. The Dutch language was used . . . — Map (db m73682) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Holland — L483 — Graafschap Christian Reformed Church
(Side One) Erected in 1862, this church was the center of the Dutch immigrant community. The first settlers in this area arrived in early 1847 led by the Reverend Albertus C. V. Raalte. In June of that year a separate group of seventy . . . — Map (db m73685) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Holland — L1611 — Laketown Township Hall
Laketown Township was settled by Dutch immigrants who arrived in the area in 1847. Originally part of Newark Township, Laketown was set off in 1858 and named for its proximity to Lake Michigan. Officials did not have a meeting hall until 1884 when . . . — Map (db m73641) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Holland — L70 — Old Wing Mission
The main portion of this building was the residence of George N. Smith, a Congregational missionary to the Indians in this area and at Waukazoo's Village on nearby Lake Macatawa. The mission was named after an Indian convert. Built in 1844-45 by . . . — Map (db m73683) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Holland — The First Pioneers of Graafschap
In memory of the First Pioneers of Graafschaap of which the following are buried here Lambert Tinholt           1849 Infant Neerken           1850 Geesje Kropschot           1850 Geert Kamps          1850 Roelafje Schrow          1850 . . . — Map (db m73687) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Hopkins — Hopkins Township Veterans Memorial
In Memory of Hopkins Township Veterans Lost in Wars Civil War Frederick A. Brewer   6-17-1865 • Darwin E. Calloway    POW • William Everhart    3-28-1863 • Reuben Grommon    6-21-1865 • Reuben Hoffmaster    2-19-1865 • Homer . . . — Map (db m74605) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Hopkins — U.S.S. Maine Memorial
In Memoriam U.S.S. Maine Destroyed in Havana Harbor February 15th 1898 This tablet is cast from metal recovered from the U.S.S. Maine — Map (db m74606) WM
Michigan (Allegan County), Hopkins — Welcome to the Village of HopkinsFrom Hopkinsburg to Hopkins
Jonathan Olin Round built the first log cabin in the area known as Hopkinsburg in 1837. His family came to join him in 1838. Other settlers soon followed. They settled in Hopkinsburg due to the good farmland the creek flowing through, providing . . . — Map (db m74604) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Martin — Early History of MartinMartin was First Settled a Year Before Michigan Became a State
On the 8th day of January, 1836, Mumford Eldred along with his second wife, Jane, and five children, settled on 40 acres in section 29 of Martin Township. The land included a 30 acre clearing on which the northern edge lived a small band of . . . — Map (db m74657) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Martin — Geib Veterans Memorial
We honor these Veterans who gave their lives while serving our Country. Their sacrifice and devotion helped preserve our freedom. William Cornelius - 1862 - Army • Amasa Carpenter - 1863 - Army • Alvah Green - 1863 - Army • Alfred Leonard - . . . — Map (db m74650) WM
Michigan (Allegan County), Otsego — Otsego Civil War Memorial
In Memoriam Given in F.C. and L. The Soldiers and Sailors Who Died That the Union Might Live — Map (db m73760) WM
Michigan (Allegan County), Otsego — L2119 — Otsego Methodist Church
The Otsego Methodist Church was organized in 1842 and served by a traveling minister. The first church was built on this site in 1847. On December 22, 1889, over 900 townspeople attended the dedication of the present church. Many donated money . . . — Map (db m69960) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Otsego — Welcome to Pine CreekHere Sat the Community of Pine Creek
Settled in 1831 by the Hull Sherwood and Giles Scott families of Rochester, New York, the Pine Creek area was first called “New Rochester.” Allegan County’s first grist mill was constructed here in 1834, attracting customers from miles . . . — Map (db m74596) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Otsego — Welcome to the City of OtsegoOtsego: A Town with a History
Dr. Samuel Foster and his family built the first frame structure just west of here on the banks of the Kalamazoo River in the fall of 1831. First called “Allegan,” the name was changed officially to Otsego in 1835 when land developer . . . — Map (db m73761) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Overisel — L1566 — Overisel / Overisel Reformed Church
(Side One) Overisel Seeking religious liberty and better economic opportunity in a new land, the Reverend Seine Bolks and a congregation of about two dozen families, left Hellendoorn, Province of Overisel, The Netherlands, on . . . — Map (db m73646) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Plainwell — Early History of Plainwell"The Island City"
Plainwell, formerly know as Plainfield, became an incorporated municipality in 1869, and later became designated as a city on March 12, 1934. The community is nestled along the banks of the Kalamazoo River and the Mill Race giving it the unique . . . — Map (db m74530) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Plainwell — Soule Memorial FountainPlainwell History
The Soule Memorial Fountain was built in 1907, donated by Mrs. Carrie Soule in memory of her late husband, George Gary Soule. The fountain was destroyed in 1953 when a truck driver from the Grand Rapids Hide Company was on his way to the Murray . . . — Map (db m74673) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Saugatuck — L0908A — All Saints Episcopal Church / Gordon W. Lloyd
All Saints Episcopal Church An Episcopal parish was organized in Saugatauk on All Saints Day, November 1, 1868. Services were held at various locations until 1873. In 1871 the parish purchased property. Detroit architect Gordon W. Lloyd . . . — Map (db m45324) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Saugatuck — S697 — Felt Mansion
(Side One) Chicago inventor and businessman Dorr Felt built this house as a summer home for his wife, Agnes. Felt held numerous patents, mostly notably for the Comptometer, the first machine to do complex calculations. In 1919 Felt . . . — Map (db m73640) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Saugatuck — L1818 — First Congregational Church
On January 11, 1860, eight years before Saugatuck was incorporated as a village, a council of area Congregational leaders met in the Pine Grove schoolhouse and organized a church. During the summer the congregation built a church on this site, which . . . — Map (db m45457) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Saugatuck — 2172 — Reed's Livery
Roger E. Reed, whose father was a blacksmith and carriage maker, built this structure in 1905. The front of the building housed an office and carriages, while the back was a stable of 25 stalls. Here travelers boarded stages bound for Holland, Grand . . . — Map (db m45238) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Saugatuck — 1762 — Saugatuck Engine House — Michigan Historic Site
Saugatuck Engine House Built 1879-1880 — Map (db m45280) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Saugatuck — S191 — Singapore, Michigan
Beneath the sands near the mouth of the Kalamazoo River lies the site of Singapore, one of Michigan's most famous ghost towns. Founded in the 1830's by New York land speculators, who hoped it would rival Chicago or Milwaukee as a lake port, . . . — Map (db m45269) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Saugatuck — L1908 — The Allegan Road
When Allegan county was organized in 1835, the only road from the interior to Lake Michigan followed an Indian Trail along the Kalamazoo River. In 1838 Ralph Mann of Connecticut was supervising improvements at the short-lived town of Richmond. He . . . — Map (db m73603) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Saugatuck — Welcome to River Bluff ParkHistoric Saugatuck Township
You are near the center of Historic Saugatuck Township in River Bluff Park. The first settlers came here to a howling wilderness in the early 1830's. Within the township, Saugatuck is a half-mile to the west on the Old Allegan Road. Across the river . . . — Map (db m73604) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Shelbyville — Early History of Shelbyville
In the 1870's the Village of Shelbyville was created by the arrival of the Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad. Shelbyville was named after the first railroad station agent, Mr. Shelby. Since there was already a Michigan town named Shelby, the . . . — Map (db m74594) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Wayland — L1274 — Henika Ladies Library
Upon her death in April 1899, Julia Robinson Henika bequeathed two thousand dollars to the Wayland Ladies Library Association for construction of a library building. Her husband George H. Henika, and mother, Mary Forbes, later donated additional . . . — Map (db m73679) HM
Michigan (Allegan County), Wayland — Welcome to Wayland
It is hard to imagine now, but 200 years ago, the place we know as Wayland was densely forested and the people who lived here, the Match-E-Be-Nash-She-Wish Band of the Pottawatomi, lived in settled villages, farming, hunting, and gathering the rich . . . — Map (db m73677) HM

49 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.