Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Henry County Alabama Historical Markers

 
A County Older Than the State Marker image, Touch for more information
By David J Gaines, October 14, 2012
A County Older Than the State Marker
Alabama (Henry County), Abbeville — A County Older Than the StateHenry County
Created in 1819 by Alabama Territorial Legislature. Named for Patrick Henry of Virginia, colonial statesman and orator: “Give me liberty or give me death.” This area ceded by Creek Indian Nation in 1814 under Treaty of Ft. Jackson. Had . . . — Map (db m60682) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Abbeville — Abbeville Southern Railroad/Pelham House
For the first 75 years of its history, Abbeville’s commerce was tied directly to the Chattahoochee River by Indian trails and wagon roads. The arrival of the first train on the Abbeville Southern Railroad, November 27, 1893, signaled the dawn of a . . . — Map (db m60685) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Abbeville — Abbeville/Seven Flags and an Arrow Over Abbeville
The oldest remaining colonial settlement in East Alabama from Florida to the Tennessee line and older than the county of Henry and the state of Alabama. An active trading post was located here in the Alabama Territory on “The Hill” early . . . — Map (db m83757) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Abbeville — Henry County Training SchoolEstablished 1914
Founded by Laura L. Ward. Building designed and constructed by Jim McCauley on land given by Glass Maybin. Classes began Sept., 1917. Principals who served school were: J. H. Jackson, W. R. Rosser, Felix Blackwood, Sr., and William B. Ward, Sr. . . . — Map (db m71809) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Abbeville — Henry, The Mother County
Upon formation, Henry County was the largest county within Alabama composing all or portions of the present counties of Barbour, Coffee, Covington, Crenshaw, Dale, Geneva, Houston and Pike. When the youngest county of Houston was formed in 1903, . . . — Map (db m60683) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Abbeville — Methodist Episcopal Church, SouthErected 1896
Erected to the glory of God, the Methodist Church in Abbeville was established circa 1830 as a mission of the Lawrenceville Circuit. The 1850 church was erected north of the present post office on East Washington Street. Present church retains most . . . — Map (db m60753) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Abbeville — Reuben Hicklin Hall Log Home / Robert Fowler Hall Home
Side 1 Reuben Hicklin Hall Log Home Reuben Hicklin Hall (1812-1890) and Mary Ann Strange (1814-1872) moved to Henry County by ox wagon from Washington County, Georgia, in 1845. They built a log home just south of here with slave . . . — Map (db m71821) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Abbeville — Rosa Parks Lived Here
Front Civil rights pioneer Rosa McCauley Parks was born on February 4, 1913 in Tuskegee, Alabama. Shortly after her birth her parents James and Leona McCauley, moved here to a 260 acre farm owned by her grandparents, Anderson and Louisa . . . — Map (db m83758) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Abbeville — The Bethune-Kennedy House
This rare, dual front door, double pen Creole cottage was constructed circa 1840 on the military three-notch road, now Kirkland Street. It is the oldest remaining structure in Abbeville. Earliest known owner was Confederate Colonel William Calvin . . . — Map (db m60754) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Abbeville — The First Baptist Church of Abbeville/Abbeville Pioneer Cemetery
Side 1 The First Baptist Church of Abbeville This church was founded in 1834 as a mission of the Lawrenceville Baptist Church. Reverend Jeremiah Campbell was one of the early pastors. Later meetings were held in the lower story . . . — Map (db m71807) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Abbeville — The Southeast Alabama Agricultural School / First Free Secondary School in Alabama
Side 1 The Southeast Alabama Agricultural School This school and experiment station was created by Alabama Legislative Act No. 579, February 28, 1889. This was the first school in Alabama to offer free secondary education. SAAS . . . — Map (db m71808) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Erwin — Mount Enon Primitive Baptist Church
This early settlers' church was constituted as a member of the Choctawhatchee Association District here on the Eufaula-Ozark Wagon Train Road, April 23, 1860. First Presbytery was M.W. Helms and J.J. Dickerson, Deacon William Hasten and Clerk D.R. . . . — Map (db m71827) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Headland — First Baptist Church of Headland
Organized in 1867, as the Baptist Church of Christ at Bethlehem, it was located at 1 Cleveland Street. Reverend Thomas Scott was first pastor. William Whitehead was first deacon. Moved to East Church and Peachtree Street in 1893. Moved to present . . . — Map (db m71818) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Headland — Headland World War I Monument
South side To those who made the supreme sacrifice 1917 - World War - 1918 — Till the day breaks and the shadows flee away North side Erected by Headland Chapter, U.D.C. To the soldiers of the Confederacy . . . — Map (db m71871) WM
Alabama (Henry County), Headland — Headland, Alabama / Headland Public Square
Side 1 Headland, Alabama James Joshua Head (1839-1927) founded Headland in 1871 as Head’s Land. He patented land, platted the town and built his home. The Post Office opened, as Headland, on October 10, 1871. J. J. Head sold . . . — Map (db m71817) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Headland — Head's Land Yielded Fruits of Success
Begun on 160 acres of land owned by Dr. Joshua Head, "Head's Land," or Headland, was established in 1871, incorporated as a town in 1884 and a city in 1893. The land itself yielded the city's first industry. Due to the abundance of pine trees, . . . — Map (db m71816) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Headland — Henry County Confederate Memorial
To the glory of God and in memory of those boys who went from Henry County, Alabama to the battlefields of the Confederacy 1861-1865 — Map (db m71840) WM
Alabama (Henry County), Headland — Piney Grove Primitive Baptist Church and Cemetery
Side 1 An arm of the Shilo Primitive Baptist Church located near the Abby Creek, began meeting near the Three Cornered Pond just south of here in 1848. A new church called Piney Grove was constituted on April 21, 1849, by the hands of . . . — Map (db m71815) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Lawrenceville — Lawrenceville / Lawrenceville Academy
Lawrenceville This early cultural, educational and religious center was settled in 1823 and named for Joseph Lawrence, prominent pioneer, farmer, and extensive land owner. A Baptist and a Methodist Church were established here prior to . . . — Map (db m71825) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Newville — Newville Baptist Church / Newville Baptist Church Cemetery
Side 1 Newville Baptist Church A small Baptist congregation met under a brush arbor in 1876, near what later became the village of Wells which grew into the town of Newville, Alabama. A log church called Center was erected in . . . — Map (db m71814) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Newville — Newville High School / Newville Rosenwald School
Side 1 Newville High School The first known school in Newville was at Center Church in 1881. When Grange Hall was built in 1891, church services and school were held on the first floor. In 1913, Grange Hall was torn down and the . . . — Map (db m71812) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Newville — Newville, Alabama / Newville Pioneers
Side 1 Newville, Alabama James Madison Wells founded a village called Wells circa 1882. When Abbeville Southern Railroad laid tracks through the town in 1893, its name was changed to Wells Station. The post office was built in . . . — Map (db m71810) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Newville — Old Center Methodist Church/Old Center Cemetery
Old Center Methodist Church The church was organized in 1859. The first building was a log structure located just NW of the present building. In the 1870's it was part of the Newton Circuit and was served by a minister who lived in the . . . — Map (db m71831) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Screamer — Indian Treaty Boundary Line
The Treaty of Fort Jackson on August 9, 1814 by Major General Andrew Jackson on behalf of the President of the United States of America and the Chiefs, Deputies and Warriors of the Creek Indian Nation, established a boundary line between the . . . — Map (db m71836) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Screamer — Indian Treaty Boundary Line
The Treaty of Fort Jackson on August 9, 1814 by Major General Andrew Jackson on behalf of the President of the United States of America and the Chiefs, Deputies and Warriors of the Creek Indian Nation, established a boundary line between the . . . — Map (db m71838) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Screamer — Liberty United Methodist Church / Hilliardsville
Liberty United Methodist Church Also called Liberty Chapel, the Church was organized circa 1830 and originally located three miles northeast of this site, on the Old Liberty Church Road. Rev. Anson West, D.D., renowned Methodist minister, . . . — Map (db m71829) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Shorterville — "Irwin Empire"
Site of the 1831 Irwin homeplace where over 50,000 acres of land was owned by Major General William Irwin (1794-1850). He was an Indian fighter, farmer, politician, statesman and considered one of the nation’s richest and most influential men. A . . . — Map (db m71824) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Shorterville — Chattahoochee River Crossing
First settler crossings were made here prior to 1817 on a log ferry operated by Robert Irwin. First bridge built by Prescott and Bemis and destroyed by flood of 1855. Second wooden covered bridge was completed in 1869 by ex-slave Horace King. Third . . . — Map (db m71843) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Shorterville — Franklin - First Beachhead into East Alabama
The frontier village of Franklin was established here by Colonel Robert Irwin in 1814 on the site of the Indian town of Cheeska Talofa. It was the first colonial village in east Alabama. Fort Gaines, Georgia, was constructed in 1816 to protect the . . . — Map (db m71844) HM
Alabama (Henry County), Shorterville — Showplace of the South
Side 1 “The Mansion” was built in the 1830's on this site by Colonel James Bennett and his wife, Harriet M. Grace. Tradition maintains that it was the only three story antebellum home in the Chattahoochee Valley. The top . . . — Map (db m83759) HM

30 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement