On Sept. 1, 1863 Confederates under Brig. Gen. W.L. Cabell ambushed a Union force commanded by Maj. Gen. J.G. Blunt, but were driven off after a three hour battle. Later on July 24, 1864, the Choctaw Battalion led by Capt. Jack McCurtain defeated . . . — — Map (db m77951) HM
Building completed, and Maj. F.C. Armstrong was first agent in 1832. Village became known as Skullyville. Choctaw Nation adopted new constitution in convention here, 1857. Stage station for Overland Mail to San Francisco 1858-61. Leading Choctaws . . . — — Map (db m77871) HM
Established June 16, 1834, by 7th Inf., and named in honor of Gen. John Coffee of Tennessee. Abandoned by U.S. Army in November 1838. In 1842 site selected by Choctaw Council and established as Ft. Coffee Academy for Boys. During Civil War . . . — — Map (db m77873) HM
Skullyville was founded in 1832 while removal of Choctaws to what is now Oklahoma was in process. First Choctaw Agency in the West was established here with Major F.W. Armstrong as agent.
The name Skullyville was derived from Choctaw word . . . — — Map (db m64486) HM
The founding of Skullyville dates back to 1832 when the removal of the Choctaws was in full progress. The old cemetery has all the interest usually attached to these places. Early on our people used rocks and stones to mark their . . . — — Map (db m77924) HM