Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Orange County Florida Historical Markers

 
Wide view of the Community of Piedmont Marker image, Touch for more information
By PaulwC3, March 11, 2014
Wide view of the Community of Piedmont Marker
Florida (Orange County), Apopka — F-638 — Community of Piedmont
Piedmont, named in the late 1890s, was comprised of a wide area around Blue lake, one and one-half miles east of Apopka City. It was a close-knit community populated in the 1870s almost entirely by Swedish immigrants. Among the earliest settlers . . . — Map (db m72441) HM
Florida (Orange County), Apopka — Dr. Howard A. Kelly Park
To the memory of Dr. Howard Atwood Kelly of Baltimore, Maryland, one of the founders of Johns Hopkins Hospital and medical school. He was a great surgeon, teacher and medical authority, and above all, a Christian gentleman. Dr. Kelly, in 1927 . . . — Map (db m66834) HM
Florida (Orange County), Apopka — F-868 — Dr. Howard A. Kelly Park
Rock Springs is the source of the Rock Springs Run, a swift running stream with an average flow of 26,000 gallons per minute and a constant temperature of 68 degrees. The spring flows from limestone containing fossils that date back 17 million . . . — Map (db m94341) HM
Florida (Orange County), Apopka — F-943 — Episcopal Church of the Holy Spirit
This little church began as a simple rectangular board and batten structure built in 1886 by the First Congregational Church on Main Street in Apopka. Services were held in the church for ten years until the Great Freeze of 1895 forced the . . . — Map (db m104871) HM
Florida (Orange County), Apopka — F-714 — Lovell's Landing at Lake Apopka
In the 1870s, the early settlers of northwest Orange County looked to area waterways as commercial highways. Lake Apopka, the head of the Ocklawaha chain of lakes, offered access to the St. Johns River near Palatka and a way for citrus and vegetable . . . — Map (db m72409) HM
Florida (Orange County), Apopka — F-251 — Oldest Masonic Lodge Building in Continuous Use in Florida
Masonic Lodge No. 36 of the Grand Jurisdiction of Florida was established in 1856 and is still serving under a warrant issued that year. This building was erected here in 1859; the upper story has been continually used for lodge meetings. The . . . — Map (db m72418) HM
Florida (Orange County), Christmas — Brown Housecirca 1900
Ephriam Legrand Brown built this house in 1900. Mr. Brown was born in Americus, Georgia in 1859 and came to Florida at the age of sixteen. He worked as a surveyor. In 1882 he married Julia Roberts of the Roberts Plantation on Lake Mills. He . . . — Map (db m108107) HM
Florida (Orange County), Christmas — F-252 — Fort Christmas
As white settlers moved into Florida in the 1820's and 1830's, there were growing demands that the Seminole Indians be removed to a reservation west of the Mississippi. Efforts to convince the Seminoles to move failed, and in 1835 the conflict known . . . — Map (db m54086) HM
Florida (Orange County), Christmas — Simmons 2 Housecirca 1870s
George Washington Simmons and Ann McDougald Simmons were married at Silver Springs in 1856. They soon moved to the Orlando area where they lived near Curry’s Ford for a number of years. Then in 1873 they settled at Taylor Creek near Fort Christmas . . . — Map (db m108044) HM
Florida (Orange County), Christmas — Yates Housecirca 1890s
John Burl (Bud) Yates III, born in 1875, and Polly Canada, born in 1874, lived on the John Burl Yates’ homestead, located on Taylor Creek when they first were married. They converted an old shed into living quarters and prepared meals on a 'cook . . . — Map (db m108093) HM
Florida (Orange County), Conway — Citrus Industry and Red Hill Groves/Conway School
Citrus Industry and Red Hill Groves Cattle ranches and turpentine stills filled the Conway landscape in the late nineteenth century, but it was the citrus industry that would predominate in most of the twentieth century. For miles, neat . . . — Map (db m101053) HM
Florida (Orange County), Conway — Conway First Baptist Church/Fort Gatlin
Conway First Baptist Church The Conway First Baptist Church was organized in 1910 and first housed in a clubhouse on Arnold Avenue and Anderson Road. In February 1911, the clubhouse and lot were sold or exchanged for five acres of land . . . — Map (db m101052) HM
Florida (Orange County), Conway — Conway United Methodist Church/Brick Road
Conway United Methodist Church The Conway Methodist Church was first organized in 1874 as the Prospect Methodist Episcopal Church South. Services were held monthly in a log cabin and led by a circuit rider. The building also served as the . . . — Map (db m93389) HM
Florida (Orange County), Conway — St. Mary's Missionary Baptist Church/Datson Dairy
St. Mary's Missionary Baptist Church St. Mary's Missionary Baptist Church was built on land donated by Mary Walker in 1915. It was a small frame building with a steeple to the side of the main entrance The small African American community . . . — Map (db m101051) HM
Florida (Orange County), Conway — The English Colony/The Polo Club
The English Colony A group of Englishmen known locally as the English Colony immigrated to Conway in the 1880s. They came as a result of a land and citrus industry promotion by the state and railroad corporations that promised an annual . . . — Map (db m101054) HM
Florida (Orange County), Eatonville — F-620 — Moseley House
Taylor Street is the eastern boundary of Eatonville and is the site of Jim and Matilda Clark Moseley's home. Matilda, or "Miss Tillie," as she was affectionately called, was the niece of Joseph Clark, Eatonville's founder and first mayor. Early . . . — Map (db m52686) HM
Florida (Orange County), Goldenrod — Gabriella
The small community of Gabriella was located on SR 426 about a mile north of Goldenrod, between Goldenrod and Jamestown. The post office was established on July 31, 1886. Sherman Adams was the first post master. The post office was located west . . . — Map (db m92962) HM
Florida (Orange County), Lake Buena Vista — The Liberty Bell
The Province Bell was the name first used to describe me. I was ordered from the English bell foundry of Whitechapel in 1751 by the Pennsylvania Assembly. I was to be part of the celebration which would commemorate the 50th anniversary of William . . . — Map (db m76520) HM
Florida (Orange County), Lake Buena Vista — The Liberty Tree
Under the boughs of the original Liberty Tree in Boston in 1765, patriots, calling themselves “The Sons of Liberty,” gathered to protest the imposition of the Stamp Act. In the years that followed, almost every American town had a . . . — Map (db m76711) HM
Florida (Orange County), Lake Buena Vista — Tyrannosaurus Rex“Sue”
This fossil cast is an exact replica of “Sue”, the most complete Tyrannosaurus Rex skeleton ever found. Named for her discoverer, Sue was found in South Dakota on August 12, 1990. Sue is 90% complete, a fossil find of enormous importance . . . — Map (db m76896) HM
Florida (Orange County), Maitland — F-524 — Black Bear Trail
The Black Bear Trail, so named because it ran through the natural habitat of the black bear, was organized by The Black Bear Trail, Inc., an association of officials of Chambers of Commerce, boards of trade and cities lying along the route of the . . . — Map (db m7453) HM
Florida (Orange County), Maitland — Carpentry Shop Museum
This historic workshop, built around 1883, was the site of William H. Waterhouse's woodworking and construction business. A pioneer settler and carpenter, Mr. Waterhouse built many of the early homes in Maitland and constructed the pews for he First . . . — Map (db m52525) HM
Florida (Orange County), Maitland — F-760 — Church of the Good Shepherd
The Church of the Good Shepherd (known as "The Chapel") was established in 1882 by the Right Reverend Henry Benjamin Whipple, the first Episcopal bishop of the Diocese of Minnesota, who wintered in Maitland because of poor health. Bishop Whipple . . . — Map (db m93356) HM
Florida (Orange County), Maitland — F-49 — First Presbyterian ChurchMaitland
This congregation was organized in 1882 by ten Presbyterian settlers under the direction of the Rev. W.G.F. Wallace when Maitland was a pioneer hamlet. The church building was constructed in 1883, and it is one of the oldest churches still in use in . . . — Map (db m7451) HM
Florida (Orange County), Maitland — Fort Maitland / Maitland / Lake Maitland1838 — Directly east of this highway
Fort Maitland was built in November 1838 by Lt. Col. Alexander C. W. Fanning, U.S.A. (1788-1848) on the military road connecting Fort Melon (Sanford) with Fort Gatlin (Orlando) and used as a stockade in the war between the United States and the . . . — Map (db m7452) HM
Florida (Orange County), Maitland — F-523 — Lake Lily DriveA Florida Heritage Site
This road was the first direct route from Northeast Florida to Maitland. It followed Maitland Avenue around this west side of Lake Lily and continued south on what is now Highway 17-92. During the Second Seminole War the United States Army used this . . . — Map (db m13636) HM
Florida (Orange County), Maitland — F-522 — Railroading in Maitland
Before the railroad to Lake Maitland, travelers boarded a steamboat in Jacksonville for the trip up the St. Johns River to Sanford. The St. Johns River is one of only three rivers in the United States that flows from south to north. Landing at . . . — Map (db m52452) HM
Florida (Orange County), Maitland — 83001434 — William H. Waterhouse ResidenceBuilt in 1884
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior July 15, 1983 — Map (db m52521) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — "Lest We Forget"
In memory of the Orange County Boys who gave their lives in the World War Erected by the Orlando Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution aided by patriotic citizens of Orange County 1924 — Map (db m7420) WM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — 1972 B-52 Crash
At 11:20 a.m. on March 31, 1972, a 306th Bombardment Wing B-52D Stratofortress bomber stationed at nearby McCoy Air Force Base (now Orlando International Airport) crashed on this site. The plane, which was not carrying any weapons, had left . . . — Map (db m82976) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — F-401 — Astronaut John Watts Young
John Watts Young, NASA astronaut, Gemini veteran, Apollo moonwalker, and space shuttle commander, was the first American to travel in space six times. As an Orlando High School student, Young lived in this house at 815 West Princeton Street from . . . — Map (db m72371) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — F-904 — Atlantic Coastline Station
(side 1) In 1880, the South Florida Railroad built a railway through Orlando. The small community boomed with land speculators, citrus and cattle investors, and tourists. In 1902, the larger Atlantic Coastline Railroad acquired the South . . . — Map (db m100895) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — F-475 — Carver Court Public Housing Complex
Built in 1945 for $468,700, Carver Court was a public housing development set up by the Orlando Housing Authority in an effort to stimulate the economy, resolve growing slum and housing problems, and meet local demands associated with the massive . . . — Map (db m72387) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — F-475 — Carver Court Public Housing Complex
Built in 1945 for $468,700, Carver Court was a public housing development set up by the Orlando Housing Authority in an effort to stimulate the economy, resolve growing slum and housing problems, and meet local demands associated with the massive . . . — Map (db m72407) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — F-838 — Eppes-Shine Plot Greenwood Cemetery
(side 1) Buried here are members of the Eppes and Shine families, descendants of President Thomas Jefferson, the author of the Declaration of Independence and the Statute of Virginia for Religious Freedom, and the father of the University . . . — Map (db m93096) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — Fort Gatlin 1838
Marking the site of Fort Gatlin 1838 Military OutpostMap (db m54077) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — F-808 — H. H. Dickson Azalea Park / Washington Street Bridge
H. H. Dickson Azalea Park Dickson Azalea Park began as a natural stream, later named Fern Creek, in a deep ravine surrounded by native ferns, palms, and oaks. It once was a watering hole for cattle herders driving their animals south. State . . . — Map (db m93268) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — J. P. Musselwhite & Family
In memory of and tribute to J. P. Musselwhite, public spirited citizen, who was the donor of most of the land on the east and north sides of Lake Eola for public park purposes, and his surviving family, Troy C. Musselwhite and Agnes Musselwhite . . . — Map (db m7449) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — F-806 — Jack Kerouac House
Writer Jack Kerouac (1922-1969) lived and wrote in this 1920s tin-roofed house between 1957 and 1958. It was here that Kerouac received instant fame for publication of his bestselling book, On the Road, which brought him acclaim and . . . — Map (db m93196) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — F-932 — John R. Mott House Site
Built in 1920, the former house at 528 E. Washington Street was once home to Nobel Peace Prize winner John Raleigh Mott (1869-1955). As general secretary of the National War Work Council, a World War I era Young Men’s Christian Association . . . — Map (db m111212) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — Linton E. Allen Memorial FountainOrlando Centennial Fountain
Upper marker:: Linton E. Allen Memorial Fountain Renamed July 12, 1965 Robert S. Carr, Mayor Lower marker:: Orlando Centennial Fountain Constructed by the Orlando Utilities Commission R. T. Overstreet, President • . . . — Map (db m7416) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — Mathew Robinson Marks
In Memory of Mathew Robinson Marks Mayor of Orlando 1889-1890 through whose vision the planting of our magnificent shade trees was inaugurated. A.D. 1925 — Map (db m6914) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — Mount Pleasant Baptist Church701 West South Street
This African American church was organized in 1919 and met in various locations, including a bush arbor constructed of poles covered with branches. In 1921, land was purchased at this corner for a permanent structure, which was completed in 1924. . . . — Map (db m102978) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — F-644 — Orlando Army Air Base
Orlando Municipal Airport opened in 1928 on 65 acres of land north of Lake Underhill. In 1940, with Europe at war, the United States Army took over the airport for defense purposes, activating it as the Orlando Army Air Base on September 1, 1940. . . . — Map (db m54047) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — Orlando Reeves
In whose honor our city Orlando was named Killed in this vicinity by Indians September 1835 "How sleep the brave who sink to rest by all their Country's wishes blest."                               Wm. Collins Erected by the students . . . — Map (db m7418) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — Orlando's First Settler, Aaron Jernigan
Aaron Jernigan moved to what is now Orlando in 1843 after the passage of the Armed Occupation Act of 1842 that opened vast areas of Florida for settlement. According to the law, one could move onto land at least two miles from an established . . . — Map (db m73676) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — Site and Home of Francis Eppes
Site and home of Francis Eppes Grandson of President Thomas Jefferson Original house built 1868 — Map (db m111047) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — F-483 — Site of Fort Gatlin
On November 9, 1838, during the Second Seminole Indian War (1835-42), the U.S. Army established Fort Gatlin in Mosquito County. This fort was named for Army Assistant Surgeon John S. Gatlin (1806-1835), who was killed in the Dade Massacre in 1835. . . . — Map (db m6912) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — F-859 — The Cathedral Church of Saint Luke
Francis Wayles Eppes, grandson of President Thomas Jefferson, moved from Tallahassee to Orlando in 1869. Eppes was the first pioneer to gather Episcopal settlers in the area for worship. They purchased this site at the corner of Jefferson Street, so . . . — Map (db m93070) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — The Soldiers, The Sailors, The Statesmen
(Side one): To the honored memory of The Soldiers, The Sailors, The Statesmen of the Confederate states of America. "Time cannot teach forgetfulness when grief's full heart is fed by fame." (Side two): "Tis wreathed around with . . . — Map (db m7448) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — F-923 — Tinker Field
Side 1 Joe Tinker (1880-1948) was an Orlando real estate developer and professional baseball player. While playing with the Chicago Cubs from 1906 to 1910, Tinker won four pennants, two World Series championships, and was part of a famous . . . — Map (db m120473) HM
Florida (Orange County), Orlando — Veterans of the Battle of the BulgeArdennes
Dedicated to the gallant men and women who participated in the Battle of the Bulge, World War II, 16 December 1944 thru 25 January 1945 in Belgium and Luxembourg, the greatest battle ever fought by the United States Army. The Veterans of the Battle . . . — Map (db m7450) HM
Florida (Orange County), Windermere — F-867 — 1887 Windermere Schoolhouse
Opened in 1887, this structure is the only surviving one-room school house in Orange County, and one of the few still standing in Florida. The Frame Vernacular building, capped with a metal roof, was communally constructed using locally milled . . . — Map (db m93069) HM
Florida (Orange County), Windermere — Forced EastwardFlorida De Soto Trail — July 17, 1539
It’s July 17, 1539… Hernando de Soto’s army has moved further north to the shores of this large lake – We have decided to name the lake St. John. Those of us in the cavalry have just returned from scouting ahead. We searched the . . . — Map (db m126572) HM
Florida (Orange County), Windermere — F-370 — Windermere Town Hall
The settlement of Windermere began in the mid-1880s when Englishman Stanley Scott built his home in the area, giving it and the surrounding orange groves the name of Windermere, in memory of the Lake Windermere region of England. Other settlers . . . — Map (db m53961) HM
Florida (Orange County), Winter Garden — Pounds Motor Company162 West Plant Street
Constructed in 1926, this building housed Pounds Motor Company for 82 years. Here, Hoyle Pounds operated the largest tractor dealership in the southeast U.S. As early as 1918, Pounds encouraged citrus owners to replace mules used to plow groves . . . — Map (db m81328) HM
Florida (Orange County), Winter Garden — F-861 — Winter Garden Downtown Historic District
On this corner, farmers built a small wooden train station soon after the Orange Belt Railroad reached the area in 1886. By 1899, the Taveres & Gulf Railroad constructed a second rail line and depot nearby. Wooden stores rose alongside the parallel . . . — Map (db m93068) HM

57 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.