Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Plumas County California Historical Markers

 
Beckwourth Trail – The Road Forks Marker image, Touch for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, June 4, 2013
Beckwourth Trail – The Road Forks Marker
California (Plumas County), Beckwourth — B - 11 — Beckwourth Trail – The Road Forks
“Beckwiths House (is) the first house that I have seen since I left (Ft.) Laramie... at Beckwiths House the roads fork, the left hand goes to 76 & Maryesville, the right hand is called Beckwiths rout to Maryesville.” – John F. . . . — Map (db m66177) HM
California (Plumas County), Beckwourth — Hope Lodge No. 234 F & AM
Originally built in 1875 and twice destroyed by fire, 1898 & 1909, this edifice continues a century of Masonic service to Sierra Valley. Dedicated in the spirit of brotherhood Sept. 6, 1975 by Las Plumas del Oro Chapter, E Clampus Vitus — Map (db m56654) HM
California (Plumas County), Beckwourth — James P. Beckwourth
This monument dedicated to the memory of James P. Beckwourth Born in Virginia, the son of a Southern planter and a negro slave, Beckwourth was a trapper, scout and mountain man. He explored the west with Jim Bridger, Kit Carson and Peter . . . — Map (db m56409) HM
California (Plumas County), Beckwourth — James P. Beckwourth Ranch and Trading Post
Beckwourth, a mountaineer, trader, and Crow Chief, discovered and promoted this emigrant trail. In 1852, near this site, he established the first waystop for emigrants between here and Salt Lake City. — Map (db m66176) HM
California (Plumas County), Beckwourth — Jim Beckwourth Trading Post
Established 1852 — Map (db m56417) HM
California (Plumas County), Beckwourth — Sierra Valley History
This marker is made up of four panels. They are presented left to right. Agriculture in Sierra Valley A few years after James Beckwourth settled on what he called the War Horse Ranch just west of here in 1852, more ranches and farms . . . — Map (db m66179) HM
California (Plumas County), Beckwourth — Step Back In Time
Long before settlers and ranchers came to Sierra Valley, native people of the Washoe and Maidu tribes hunted deer and collected plants here, perhaps on the very spot you are standing. The Washoe traveled fro the east, over Beckwourth Pass, from . . . — Map (db m66175) HM
California (Plumas County), Belden — Belden
Named after Susan Lee Belden, Maidu Indian, widow of Charles Belden, miner and settler. In the early 1900’s already a thriving township with a stop on the Western Pacific R.R., Belden became a popular resort for Bay Area fishermen. Today Belden is a . . . — Map (db m56617) HM
California (Plumas County), Belden — Eby Stamp Mill
The Eby Stamp Mill is an example of the type of facility used in hard rock gold mining to crush ore. It is one of the few stamp mills left, and recalls the Feather River’s history as a rich gold mining area. Only five of the original 10 stamps . . . — Map (db m66156) HM
California (Plumas County), Belden — Feather River Highway
This highway was opened to auto traffic on August 14, 1937 as State Route 24. It was later changed to State Route 40A and finally to State Route 70. The initial cost of this 70 mile stretch was 8 million dollars, the cost of repair from the February . . . — Map (db m66155) HM
California (Plumas County), Belden — Pacific Crest Trail
In the early 1930’s Clinton C. Clarke offered to the world his vision of a continuous trail stretching from Canada through 3 states to Mexico. “Along the summit divide of the mountain ranges traversing the best scenic areas and maintaining an . . . — Map (db m66157) HM
California (Plumas County), Belden — CHL 337 — Rich Bar
Gold first found here July 1850 by miners coming over the mountains from the Yuba Diggins. Much production during early ‘fifties along this east branch of the Feather River’s North Fork. Here “Dame Shirley” (Louise Amelia Knapp Smith . . . — Map (db m56618) HM
California (Plumas County), Blairsden — 196 — Jamison CityEureka Mine and Mill — Johnstown
Along the Pioneer Trail lies Jamison City and Mine. Large producer, famous for its 52-pound nugget; Eureka Mill and Mine yielding $17 millions to Cornish miners and others. Johnstown, now Johnsville, well preserved '49 town. Historical . . . — Map (db m21898) HM
California (Plumas County), Blairsden-Graeagle — Emigrant Trail
1850 Marysville - Jamison City Tablet set in stone from early day arrastra used in Jamison Creek. — Map (db m56455) HM
California (Plumas County), Blairsden-Graeagle — CHL 196 — Jamison City, Eureka Mine and Mill, Johnstown‹— 5 Miles
Along the Pioneer Trail lies Jamison City and Mine. Large producer, famous for its 52-pound nugget; Eureka Mill and Mine yielding $17 millions to Cornish miners and others. Johnstown, now Johnsville, well preserved '49 town. — Map (db m56566) HM
California (Plumas County), Blairsden-Graeagle — Johnsville Firehouse
Built in 1908 Restored as a memorial to Jackie Yonge by Trigg Yonge and ECN with the aid of funds donated by friends of Jackie. — Map (db m56456) HM
California (Plumas County), Blairsden-Graeagle — Longboard Ski Races
Gold Mountain, now Eureka Peak, is the site of some of the first organized ski races in the western hemisphere. Ski clubs organized in the 1850’s rode 10-14 foot “longboards snowshoes” down “Lost Sierra” slopes in Plumas and . . . — Map (db m56614) HM
California (Plumas County), Blairsden-Graeagle — CHL 723 — Pioneer Ski Area of America
The first sport ski area in the western hemisphere was in the Sierra Nevada. By 1860, races were held in the Plumas-Sierra region. The mining towns of Whiskey Diggings, Poker Flat, Port Wine, Onion Valley, La Porte, Jamison City, and Johnsville . . . — Map (db m56451) HM
California (Plumas County), Blairsden-Graeagle — Round Lake Mine
This gold mine, part of the Johnsonville Mining District, was initially prospected during the Gold Rush but not fully developed until 1914. A stamp mill was built here in 1915 to extract the gold. Only a few feet of ground surface were gold bearing . . . — Map (db m66178) HM
California (Plumas County), Blairsden-Graeagle — Thar’s Gold in Them Hills!
You might think the discovery of gold led to instant success, but that was not the case. Early miners lacked the capital to develop the mines. The Sierra Buttes Gold Mining Co. Ltd. bought the mines in the 1860’s and developed them . . . — Map (db m56454) HM
California (Plumas County), Blairsden-Graeagle — Winter in the SierraA Struggle For Survival
Back in its hey-day Eureka Mills, high up on the mountainside, was a primarily a family town. Jamison City, down near the creek, was a place for single miners to live. The mountainside took on quite a village appearance. There were two stores, . . . — Map (db m56452) HM
California (Plumas County), Chester — "Dinky"
The “Dinky,” a narrow gauge locomotive, was discovered n May 1996 after 82 years at the bottom of Butt Lake. It was used during the 1910-1914 construction of the Almanor and Butt Lake Dams. An H.K. Porter engine, it is thought to be the . . . — Map (db m56745) HM
California (Plumas County), Chester — Baccala Ranch
Baccala Ranch located here in Soldier Meadows was homesteaded in 1858 by Baptiste Baccala. A dairy where butter and cheese were produced from 1882 – 1915, and the ranch, are still intact and owned by the Italian – Swiss Family Baccala. — Map (db m66115) HM
California (Plumas County), Chester — Cedar Chalet Bakery
The oldest operating bakery in Plumas County. Built by Carl Giese in 1955. This being the 50th anniversary. Bakery first ran by Mr. Murphy, first name unknown. The bakery located on corner of Hwy 36 & Old Hwy 89, formerly called Carl’s Corner. Owned . . . — Map (db m66114) HM
California (Plumas County), Chester — Char's Beauty Salon(Chester Bowl)
Built in the early 1900’s this building was originally a dance hall, owned by Jack Wardlow. In 1926 Leo Speegle bought it and in 1933 it became the Eastside Cafe. In 1945 it became a recreation center, known as the Chester Bowl. Around 1988 Char . . . — Map (db m56735) HM
California (Plumas County), Chester — Chester Library1928
Started in 1928 with land donated by Edith Martin. Logs given by Red River Lumber Co. were floated down the Feather River. It was erected in a few days in an old fashion barn raising in 1929, with the women feeding everyone. Chester had benefits for . . . — Map (db m56738) HM
California (Plumas County), Chester — Chester Veterans Memorial PlazaDedicated May 26, 2008
This marker is made up of three individual markers, one each for the Korean War, World War II and the Vietnam War. In memory of Plumas County Korean War Verterans who gave their lives in the “Forgotten War” They may have . . . — Map (db m66123) WM
California (Plumas County), Chester — Dave Stratford 1945 – 2001
This is dedicated to Dave Stratford & his contributions to the Emergency Medical Services, without which many lives would have been lost. For 22 years, Dave worked everything from the ambulance to the O.R., from EMT to Paramedic. He recruited many . . . — Map (db m56744) HM
California (Plumas County), Chester — Humbug Valley
These soda springs were used by the Maidu Indians since time immemorial. Gold mines were discovered here in 1850. Andrew Miller first saw the valley in 1849 and returned in 1850 to homestead, raise a family, build a store and hotel. Many homes and . . . — Map (db m66117) HM
California (Plumas County), Chester — In Memory of the Lumberjack
They were fallers, buckers, swampers, barkers, skidders, snipers, doggers, greasers, bull punchers, skinners, hook tenders, choker setters, rigging slingers, high climbers, donkey men, whistle punks, river pigs, and more. Once they were lumberjacks, . . . — Map (db m56737) HM
California (Plumas County), Chester — Mt. Lassen Club
Built in 1911 by Judge Gay, it was the first grocery store between Susanville and Red Bluff. On May 27, 1932 Gordon Purdy turned it into a bar named the Mt. Lassen Club. Margaret and Lee Baker became the club’s owners in August of 1963. Now the . . . — Map (db m56736) HM
California (Plumas County), Chester — Olde Towne Corner Store
The “Chester Store”, now known as the Old Towne Corner Store was built in 1912 by George Olsen after he & his brothers subdivided the Olsen Ranch. It is one of the oldest buildings in Chester. It was purchased by Sue & Harry Isbell . . . — Map (db m56733) HM
California (Plumas County), Chester — Rainbow Lodge
Built in 1934 by Minnie Lee Vest, it was one of the first hotels on the Susanville – Red Bluff route. It is now owned by Dick McNeill and is the centerpiece of Rainbow Village. It served as a hotel for many years and is now home of “The . . . — Map (db m66084) HM
California (Plumas County), Chester — Soda Spring
Waters from this spring have been used for generations by the Mountain Maidu and local ranchers. The ground water here flows naturally through calcium carbonate rocks, creating a characteristic fizz or soda taste. Such waters have long been . . . — Map (db m66118) HM
California (Plumas County), Chester — Stump Ranch
Stump Ranch, a stage stop on the Red Bluff – Susanville Wagon Road, was also the road’s caretaker. It may have changed hands in an 1890’s poker game. The name arose after 1880’s logging left a field of stumps. So it could be recorded as swamp . . . — Map (db m56746) HM
California (Plumas County), Chester — Tasman Koyom
You are in the historic homeland of the Mountain Maidu people, where their spirits still linger to guard sacred sites in this pristine valley... where they lived free for thousands of years... their paradise. — Map (db m66116) HM
California (Plumas County), Chilcoot — CHL 336 — Beckwourth PassEmigrant Trail — Elevation 5221
Lowest pass in the Sierra Nevada Mountains Discovered in 1851 by James P. Beckwourth Dedicated to the discoverer and to the pioneers who passed along this trail by the Las Plumas Parlor No. 254 N.D.G.W. May 1937 No desert’s waste nor . . . — Map (db m56449) HM
California (Plumas County), Cromberg — Jackson, Ross, Tefft and Dempsey Memorial
Dedicated to the Memory of General Jackson, a ‘49er, after whom Jackson Peak and Jackson Creek were named, and first owner of the Haddick Ranch. Also, Ephiram Ross and L.V. Tefft, later owners of the Tefft Ranch, now the Haddrick Ranch. Also, . . . — Map (db m56613) HM
California (Plumas County), Cromberg — Sloat Mill Site
(Thought to have been named for Commodore John Drake Sloat of Bear Flag Revolt fame) Several ranches were established in Long Valley during the 1800s. In 1912, the Sloat Lumber Co. cut the first boards in its new sawmill, allowing the workers to . . . — Map (db m56557) HM
California (Plumas County), Cromberg — Sloat Towne Hall
The Sloat Towne Hall is the only remaining public building in Sloat. It was built in 1935 as a union and meeting hall, and was donated by the United Independent Workers’ Union to the community in 1956. The town of Sloat once boasted a population . . . — Map (db m56554) HM
California (Plumas County), Cromberg — Twenty Mile House
Historic stage stop on Quincy-Reno Road Founded 1854 — • — Restored 1945-47 by Matthew E and Grace R. Magill — • — Present home of XNGH Henry E. Magill — Map (db m56406) HM
California (Plumas County), Cromberg — Vardanega Spring
John Vardanega, first owner of Mt. Tomba Inn, (1933-1944) designed and built this cement tank with the help of the CCC on or about 1938 for water supply in the immediate vicinity. — Map (db m56612) HM
California (Plumas County), East Shore — Hamilton Dairy
The Hamilton Dairy opened in Big Meadows in 1860. In 1910 Canyon Dam was built, then filled in 1914, creating Lake Almanor. This milkhouse was then moved here out of the meadows above lake level. The Hamilton and Holmes families used the milk to . . . — Map (db m66080) HM
California (Plumas County), Graeagle — Mohawk Hotel and Tavern
Built in 1862, served as an early Wells Fargo Stage Stop, continuing to the present day as a popular traveller’s rest. — Map (db m56407) HM
California (Plumas County), Greenville — Bransford & McIntyre Store
McIntyre & Co.’s General Store was on this site in the mid 1870’s. The building was burned in 1881 but was immediately replace with the brick building that is standing today. By 1883 the new general store included the telegraph & Wells Fargo . . . — Map (db m56682) HM
California (Plumas County), Greenville — Bransford & McIntyre Warehousecirca 1877
This frame building was built between 1877 & 1881. Bransford and McIntyre purchased the building in 1881 as a warehouse for their store. Later it served the stores of J.R. Murray & then Frank Miller. This is the site of the Greenville Museum, . . . — Map (db m56681) HM
California (Plumas County), Greenville — Engelmine
Henry A. Engels settled at the Superior Mine in 1880. Discovered the Engels Mine in 1883. The first all flotation copper mill in the U.S. was completed in 1914. The Indian Valley Railroad began in 1917 and company town Engelmine was established. The . . . — Map (db m66078) HM
California (Plumas County), Greenville — Indian Valley Railroad
The Indian Valley Railroad Co. was incorporated in 1916 by Engels Copper Mining Co. The purpose was to build a standard gauge railroad from a connection on the Western Pacific Railroad at Paxton, to Engels, a distance of 22 miles. This facilitated . . . — Map (db m66079) HM
California (Plumas County), Greenville — CHL 184 — Peter LassenSite of Trading Post — 1851
Dedicated by Plumas Pioneer Parlor No. 210, N.D.G.W. Plumas Parlor No. 228, N.S.G.W. October 26, 1930 — Map (db m93251) HM
California (Plumas County), Greenville — Seneca
Gold was found in 1851 and a wild mining town was born with a dance hall, feed store, livery, blacksmith, post office, grocery, rooming houses and a hotel with solar heated showers. The canyon’s mines included the Sunnyside, Lucky Chance, White . . . — Map (db m56684) HM
California (Plumas County), Greenville — Sincerity Lodge 132 F.&A.M.
This historic building was built in 1878 by John McBeth and D.D. Compton, merchants, for use as a warehouse. As such it played an important role when Greenville’s two foundries, flour mill, sarsaparilla works, brickyard, wagon shop, and sawmill . . . — Map (db m56648) HM
California (Plumas County), La Porte — “Quick Silver Charley”Charles W. Hendel — Chronicler of the Long Board
Snow-shoe Race beginning 1854 Sierra County Surveyor 1870 Deputy U.S. Surveyor 1871 Plumas County Surveyor 1879 Plumas County Supervisor 1910 Snow-shoed to Quincy for meetings past the age of 80 — Map (db m56365) HM
California (Plumas County), La Porte — Benjamin W. Barnes“Pappy”
“Barnes Spring” established as La Portes water supply 1858. For his efforts our citizens will forever by indebted. — Map (db m56366) HM
California (Plumas County), La Porte — Cleve O’Rourke Memorial Stampmill
This mill was built in 1911 and used to crush ore at the Hewitt Brothers Mine on Hopkins Creek. It was powered by a steam engine and a pelton water wheel. It was discovered by Fred and Janet Miles in 1978 and brought to La Porte by members of E . . . — Map (db m56320) HM
California (Plumas County), La Porte — Emigrant Trail1850
Gold discovered Rabbit Creek – 1850 Renamed La Porte – 1857 — Map (db m56299) HM
California (Plumas County), La Porte — Frank D. Everts
. . . — Map (db m56321) HM
California (Plumas County), La Porte — Fuller & BuellSept. 6, 1856
completed their fireproof store. The first brick building in Sierra County, now Plumas County. — Map (db m56317) HM
California (Plumas County), La Porte — Gibsonville
Founded in 1850, the town of Gibsonville was named after the man who led a party of miners into this area. Gibsonville developed into a thriving community, and by 1855 its population was over 700. In its prime, the town had six dry goods . . . — Map (db m65905) HM
California (Plumas County), La Porte — John Conly & Co. BankersLa Porte — 1855-1871
Gold dust dealers exchange bought & sold. Checks on Marysville & San Francisco. We issue Wells Fargo exchange on the Atlantic States & Canada. Quicksilver for sale. — Map (db m56322) HM
California (Plumas County), La Porte — La Porte
Known as Rabbit Creek until 1857. In 1862 a town of three hotels, six large stores and fourteen saloons. By 1890, $93,000,000 in bullion had been extracted from the area. Dedicated to all those hardy souls who pioneered this part of Plumas . . . — Map (db m56838) HM
California (Plumas County), La Porte — La Porte – Quincy Wagon Road
On May 1, 1866 a special election was held in Plumas County to issue bonds in the sum of $20,000 for the construction of the La Porte – Quincy Wagon Road. The 34-1/2 mile road was completed in 1867 under the supervision of E.H. Pierce by Conly . . . — Map (db m56369) HM
California (Plumas County), La Porte — La Porte’s Chinese Community
In 1870 the Chinese community of Goodwin Township consisted of 184 dwellings housing 248 people. They were accepted and more welcome here than in other mining areas due to the respect of their leader, Ah Tye in the white and Chinese communities — Map (db m56301) HM
California (Plumas County), La Porte — Lexington Ski Hill
Snow skiing was introduced to Plumas County in 1858. Skis were called “snow shoes” at the time. Skis were first used to travel to and from the mining camps. Sport skiing soon followed, and by 1863 became a “mania”. The first . . . — Map (db m65904) HM
California (Plumas County), La Porte — Lotta Crabtree
Charlotte (Lotta) Mignon Crabtree, born November 7, 1847, New York City. Moved to Grass Valley California in late spring of 1853. In the fall of 1854, the Crabtrees moved to Rabbit Creek (La Porte). Mart Taylor, a saloon owner with a small theater, . . . — Map (db m56298) HM
California (Plumas County), La Porte — Port Wine
Port Wine had its beginning in early 1850. By 1851 surface mining had declined, but hydraulic mining instilled new life into the area. Port Wine was described as a religious and sober town in 1863. There was a post office and Wells Fargo Express . . . — Map (db m56652) HM
California (Plumas County), La Porte — CHL 213 — Rabbit Creek House
Built 1852 by Eli S. Lester The first building in town included a hotel, trading post and two barns. — Map (db m56563) HM
California (Plumas County), La Porte — Reilly’s Saloon
Originally Burrel-Buckley, barn lot circa 1860, Jumbo Merian’s Grocery & Gas Station, 1930-1945, purchased by Frank C. Reilly, operator from 1945-1965. Frank C. Reilly was the first Humbug of FCR 5978, E Clampus Vitus and one of the very few that . . . — Map (db m56323) HM
California (Plumas County), La Porte — The Alturas Snowshoe Club“Dope is King” — La Porte, Plumas County, California
This plaque commemorates the origins of the world’s first downhill snowshoe racing events which began in Plumas and Sierra Counties in the 1850’s. The Alturas Snowshoe Club was the world’s first organized ski club, having originated between . . . — Map (db m56368) HM
California (Plumas County), La Porte — The Union Hotel
Established in 1855 as the French Hotel by the Cayot family. Became the Union Hotel in 1856. Destroyed by fire four times, this is the fifth structure. — Map (db m65903) HM
California (Plumas County), Meadow Valley — B-35 — Beckwourth Trail – Grizzly Creek
“Crossed a brook with high banks, where Squire Stephens upset the wagon he was driving in which was Philip Linthicum and he was hurt very badly” – John Dalton, Sep. 2, 1852 — Map (db m56549) HM
California (Plumas County), Meadow Valley — B-34 — Beckwourth Trail – Haskins Valley
“... camped in order to cut some grass to feed along the road ahead, and also on account of P. Linthicum who was still very sick; not expected to live.” – John Dalton, Sep. 3, 1852 — Map (db m56548) HM
California (Plumas County), Meadow Valley — B 33 — Beckwourth Trail – Rich Valley
Now under water, Rich Valley and Bucks Ranch (1850) made a superb stopping place for emigrants of 1851 and later. “Good grass, wood and water” – John Dalton, Sep. 1, 1852 — Map (db m56536) HM
California (Plumas County), Meadow Valley — CHL 197 — Bucks Ranch Hotel and Store
Original location One hundred yards north east Haven of pioneers Pack train diversion point for miners to Feather River points. Stage station. Express and post office. 1850 – 1852 Emigrant Trail Destroyed by fire Jan. 13, . . . — Map (db m56535) HM
California (Plumas County), Meadow Valley — Meadow Valley Historical Site
Here early residents of what was then an isolated valley created their own cultural center. On land deeded by Richard Jacks, through subscription and donated labor, they constructed the first public school of the area. Across the way shortly . . . — Map (db m56532) HM
California (Plumas County), Meadow Valley — CHL 212 — P. LinthiouhDied Sept. 1852 — Age 19
O.H. Copied from tree, carved by comrade, 1852. — Map (db m56565) HM
California (Plumas County), Meadow Valley — CHL 481 — Spanish Ranch
Named for two Mexicans who began a horse ranch here in 1850. — Map (db m56550) HM
California (Plumas County), Portola — Plumas County Honor Roll World War Two and Korea and Vietnam
Two memorial panels have been placed in front of the Veteran's Memorial Hall in Portola Daniel Herrmann • Lee Johnson • Palmer Johnson • Fred R. Kabkee • O. Jean Kampschmidt • Kelly E. Kimes • Howard King • Don H. Lancaster • James E. . . . — Map (db m66183) WM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — Arthur W. Keddie1842 – 1924
If there is a dream within your hand Open your hand to let the dream fly free. A young Scotch Canadian engineer, surveyor and cartographer came to Quincy in 1864, remaining to ply his craft and make history. His vision of a low . . . — Map (db m56387) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — B-24A — Beckwourth Trail – American Ranch
This marker stands on part of the American Ranch of 1850. A way stop for emigrants of 1851 and later. “Here were obtained some fine vegetables...” Joshua Variel. Sept. 17, 1852 — Map (db m56403) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — B-23 — Beckwourth Trail – Greenhorn Creek Canyon
Trail route, 1851 and later. “Drove... through the canyon crossing the creek five times, two miles over the roughest road I ever saw” – Joshua Variel, Sep 16, 1852. — Map (db m56500) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — B-24 — Beckwourth Trail – New England Ranch
“Had a hard road, crooked & rocky. Had to cross (Greenhorn) creek 8 times in going 5 miles. Got down to the New England Ranch at noon, camped here for today.” - Chester Smith, Sep. 27, 1852. — Map (db m66159) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — Coburn-Variel Home1878 — Dedicated to Historic Preservation in Plumas County
Built in the fall of 1878 by Joshua Variel and his son, Will, the house was the home of several families over the next century. In 1896 Sheriff John Bransford bought the home, then sold it in 1899 to Attorney Louis N. Peter who died in the home in . . . — Map (db m56527) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — CHL 231 — Elizabethtown
Dedicated to Pioneers of Plumas County To the Founders of Elizabethtown and Elizabeth Stark Blakesley for whom this town was named Sept. 1852 — Map (db m56615) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — Feather Publishing Co.
. . . — Map (db m56551) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — Forest StationersThe Huskinson Block — 1850 - 1870
Built in 1876, it is one of the first permanent structures in the Quincy Business District. Businesses of this site included Cohn Bros. Dry Goods, U.S. Post Office, I.O.O.F. Lodge, E.C.V. Hall, National Forest Supervisors office, Quincy Hardware and . . . — Map (db m56386) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — Goodwin Law Office
In continuous use as a legal office since 1890. U.S. Webb learned law here. — Map (db m56404) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — Mt. Ingalls LookoutElev. 8372
Donated by: Plumas Nat. Forest Built by: Company 989 C.C.C, 1935 Dismantled & Rebuilt by Reserve Navy Mobile Construction Battalion – 2 “Sea Bees” — Map (db m56501) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — Oakland Camp
Mr. J.B. Nash, often referred to as “The Father of Recreation” was Superintendent of the Oakland Recreation Dept. from 1917-1926. He recognized the value of people working and playing together in a camp setting & loved the outdoors. In . . . — Map (db m66158) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — Plumas Club
Built in 1914 as “Harvey’s Place” by Harvey Egbert. During Prohibition Ed Dory ran the Quincy Dairy Store & some slot machines here. Zola & Plumas “Plumie” Stokes bought the saloon from Egbert in 1947. In 1989 Plumie sold the . . . — Map (db m56529) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — Plumas County Veterans Memorial
(Panel on the left) On behalf of the grateful people of Plumas County, this memorial is dedicated to all our veterans and those whose names are engraved on these tablets, who made the ultimate sacrifice for us all. Dedicated May 29, 2006 . . . — Map (db m66185) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — CHL 625 — Plumas County’s First School House
This is the original pioneer school house Erected in 1857 ———— Trustees – J.W. Thompson & J.C. Church Teacher – Mr. S.A. Ballou – Nineteen scholars — Map (db m56503) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — Plumas Lodge No. 60 F&AM
This historic Masonic Temple built in 1855 is the oldest building in Quincy. — Map (db m56747) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — Spanish Creek Mines
Millions in gold were taken from the Spanish Creek Mines between 1851 and 1905. To supply the miners the small town of New Boston sprang up at the mouth of Wahponsey Creek. Complete with a toll gate, apple orchard and gardens, in the 1870’s it was . . . — Map (db m56530) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — The Clough/Braden Home
Built in 1879, this was the home of Plumas County Judge and State Assemblyman Greenleaf Greeley Clough and his family for nearly a half a century. In 1927 it became the home of Louis Archibald “Arch” Braden, elected to nine . . . — Map (db m56401) HM
California (Plumas County), Quincy — World War Memorial
This tablet erected to honor those Citizens of Plumas County who served their county in time of War — Map (db m66187) WM
California (Plumas County), Spring Garden — Spring Garden
The 1851 Spring Garden Ranch sat on the Beckwourth Trail one mile west. About 1900 the town grew on the present site. At one time there were 500 people here. Located on the railroad, it served mines, mills and ranches for many years. — Map (db m56552) HM
California (Plumas County), Taylorsville — First Permanent Residence in Indian Valley
Site of the first permanent residence in Indian Valley. Built by Jobe T. Taylor in February 1852. This maker made from the millstones brought around Cape Horn in 1856 for the first flour mill in the Pacific Northwest, located in Taylorville, . . . — Map (db m66160) HM
California (Plumas County), Taylorsville — Taylorsville Cemetery
This picturesque cemetery dates to the 1850s. Within it’s hallowed grounds sleep many pioneers of Plumas County and particularly Indian Valley, some of whom are: Jobe Terrill Taylor, founder of Taylorsville; Abbie Fort, African-American beekeeper . . . — Map (db m56646) HM
California (Plumas County), Taylorsville — Taylorsville Veterans MemorialJason Poindexter
To honor the men and women who have fought, and those that have died in the War on Iraq. To remember their courage and especially their sacrifice while doing their duty. In memoriam Private First Class Jason Poindexter, 2nd Platoon, Echo Company, . . . — Map (db m66161) WM
California (Plumas County), Taylorsville — Taylorville General Store
Known as Young’s Market for over a century This store was built in 1862 to serve Indian Valley — Map (db m56644) HM

100 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.