Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Trinity County California Historical Markers

 
Bagdad – North Fork – Helena Marker - missing image, Touch for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, June 2, 2012
Bagdad – North Fork – Helena Marker - missing
California (Trinity County), Big Bar — Bagdad – North Fork – Helena
Established about 1850. A supply center for gold mining activity on the North Fork, East Fork of North Fork and main Trinity River for more than 70 years, this fine ranch at one time boasted a hotel, store, livery stable, blacksmith shop, brewery, . . . — Map (db m56123) HM
California (Trinity County), Big Bar — Big Flat – Big Bar
This plaque is between the two sites first mined in ’49. The rush came in 1850, when John Weaver & Co. ditched water from Lil’ Weaver Creek, now Big Bar Creek taking out $100,000 in gold at Big Flat. Elizabeth Walton, mined here with her husband in . . . — Map (db m100581) HM
California (Trinity County), Douglas City — Lowden’s Wagon Road
Built in 1858 by W.S. Lowden. This was the first wagon road to Weaverville from Lewiston. From Lowden’s Ranch the roads forked. One went through Lewiston and up over Hoadley Peak on the Lewiston Turnpike, which was a toll road built by W.S. Lowden. . . . — Map (db m56194) HM
California (Trinity County), Douglas City — Reading’s Bar
Major Pierson B. Reading discovered gold on this bar behind this monument in July, 1848. After crossing the Trinity Divide from the North Fork of Cottonwood Creek. His party of three whites, close friend Delaware Indian scout Tom Hill, and sixty . . . — Map (db m55999) HM
California (Trinity County), Douglas City — Steel Bridge
The Union Hill Mines, which began in 1862, were located up the western slope of Union Hill from the mouth of Weaver Creek, at the head of Union Gulch. It was one of the largest placer mines in Trinity County. Water was ditched from Weaver Creek and . . . — Map (db m70306) HM
California (Trinity County), Hayfork — Japanese Bomb Balloon
The Japanese paper balloon landed in a tree near the Charles Lafffranchini Ranch 2½ miles N.W. of here on the afternoon of February 1, 1945 and after time exploded leaving the gas valve lines, ballast, 4 bombs, sandbags and the bomb carriage . . . — Map (db m112565) HM
California (Trinity County), Hayfork — Kellogg Cemetery
Established in early 1860’s By L.I. Kellogg — Map (db m70308) HM
California (Trinity County), Hayfork — Salt Creek School
The first school opened in 1896 as a community school in Morgan Frances’ log cabin. The teacher was Miss Fanny Doyle. The new school was built in 1897 operating with one of the first special use permits from Trinity National Forest. The school . . . — Map (db m70307) HM
California (Trinity County), Helena — Bagdad
On this site once stood the town of "Bagdad"

Founded in the year of 1850 by pioneers Craven Lee and David Weed Peak of population five hundred

Monument erected August 9, 1953 by Mt. Bally Parlor No. 87 N.S.G.W. Eltapome . . . — Map (db m32634) HM

California (Trinity County), Junction City — Dedrick
A mining town was settled here on Corral Bar in 1890, and named after Chloride Mine locator Dan C. Dedrick. The post office was established May 4, 1891. By 1902 the town boasted a school, 2 stores, 2 hotels, a restaurant, lodging house, livery, . . . — Map (db m56115) HM
California (Trinity County), Junction City — Junction City Centennial1896 – 1996
[Upper Marker:] On this site in 1852 a group of early settlers formed a mining community. The called it Milltown after the Seeley and Dowles water powered sawmill located near the mouth of Canyon Creek. In September 1861 this rapidly . . . — Map (db m56112) HM
California (Trinity County), Junction City — Site of Cañon City1851 – 1891
Cañon City was established in 1851 and in 1852 had a pop. of 800. The town had a blacksmith shop, two stores, two hotels, one temperance hall, one bakery, two billiard saloons, two express houses, two saw mills, post office, and a one-room school. . . . — Map (db m56121) HM
California (Trinity County), Lewiston — Congregational Church of Lewiston
The Congregational Church of Lewiston was organized in October 1889. It was incorporated and erected in 1896. Construction was done by a local contractor – Mr. Canfield. The total cost was $750.00. During its early years, ministers traveled . . . — Map (db m56199) HM
California (Trinity County), Lewiston — Lewis’ Town/Lewiston
Forty-niner Thomas Palmer, bought Cephus Wood’s property, known as “Old Tucker’s Place,” in 1850. In 1851, he built a ferry, a bridge, and numerous buildings. Palmer hired his adopted son, Benjamin Franklin Lewis to run his enterprises, . . . — Map (db m56202) HM
California (Trinity County), Lewiston — Lewiston Hotel1863
Built by William Burber in 1863, it served as a hotel, bar and stage stop. Originally closer to the river, the hotel burned in 1897 and was rebuilt on its present site in 1899 by Johnny Koll. It continued as a hotel until its closure in 1939. It was . . . — Map (db m56229) HM
California (Trinity County), Lewiston — Lewiston Pioneer Cemetery
This cemetery was established in the 1850’s and many prominent early day Lewiston settlers are buried here. This plaque is dedicated to the miners, farmers and cattlemen who made history in this area. — Map (db m56200) HM
California (Trinity County), Lewiston — The Killing of Edward José
On June 10, 1894, at 9:30 P.M., Edward William José was mortally wounded by his new freight driver, Frank G. Eddinger, who had robbed the freight wagon the day before on Browns’ Mountain. Walter Baker, Mart Van Matre and José were sitting on the . . . — Map (db m56228) HM
California (Trinity County), Lewiston — Wilson Ranch Granary
This granary, known as the Frick and Davis Granary, was built in 1853, as part of “Mud Ranch,” named from its rich black alluvial soil. First settled by George W. Davis and Christian Frick in 1850. The house was built in 1855. The ranch . . . — Map (db m56197) HM
California (Trinity County), Trinity Center — “Jim Swett Field”
Name amended 1997by resolution to honor Trinity County Resident Colonel James E. Swett – USMC Ret. A World War II Marine Aviator who on April 7th 1943 was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor, our Nations highest award, for . . . — Map (db m56237) HM
California (Trinity County), Trinity Center — Bucket Line Dredges
Gold dredging turned the Trinity River upside down for over 50 years, leaving behind mounds of rock tailings. The first operation, in 1889, was the Kise Bros. Dredge. The Carrville Dredge, at this site was the last dredge operating for a few years . . . — Map (db m56230) HM
California (Trinity County), Trinity Center — California – Oregon Stage Road1860 – 1887
A pack trail in 1851, Greathouse & Co. muled passengers by 1854. James E. Carr contracted by the California Stage Co., finished the last six miles of road from Trinity River to here, Sept. 14, 1860. The first daily mail and passenger stage, driven . . . — Map (db m56234) HM
California (Trinity County), Trinity Center — California – Oregon Trail / California – Oregon Road
About 60 feet above this marker a line of rocks marks the old Trappers and Emigrants Trail from Trinity River to Scott Valley. This route may have been used as early as 1829 by Hudson’s Bay trappers and others prior to the building of this road in . . . — Map (db m57898) HM
California (Trinity County), Trinity Center — Carrville
Carrville was a well known stage stop and resort, with a post office and general store. Founded in the 1860’s by James E. Carr of Ireland, who came to California in 1849. Carr was instrumental in building the stage road from Trinity Mountain to . . . — Map (db m56232) HM
California (Trinity County), Trinity Center — The Bowerman Barn
This barn was built by the Bowerman family in 1878 as part of their ranch operation. Much of the barn was handcrafted and it serves as a fine example of the skills of that time. The Bowerman’s are an early pioneer family in Trinity County. . . . — Map (db m56260) HM
California (Trinity County), Trinity Center — Trinity Centre Then – Trinity Center Now.
Hudson Bay Co. trappers worked the Trinity Valley as early as 1826. A tenuous peace existed between the trappers and the Wintu Indians. Miners invaded the valley in 1850. In 1851, Moses Chadbourne built a trading post, by the same name, on his ranch . . . — Map (db m56259) HM
California (Trinity County), Trinity Center — Turning Water into Gold
The Rising Tide of History in the Trinity Unit of the Whiskeytown-Shasta-Trinity National Recreation Area By 1956 the Gold Rush was only an echo along the river now covered by Trinity and Lewiston Lakes. The abandoned remnants of fevered . . . — Map (db m57965) HM
California (Trinity County), Trinity Village — Charles Wm. Carpenter1888 - 1928
Deputy Sheriff Charles Wm. "Bud" Carpenter was a life long resident of Trinity County. He was killed in the line of duty while attempting to capture three suspects fleeing from a robbery of the store and post office in Willow Creek.

In his . . . — Map (db m32632) HM

California (Trinity County), Trinity Village — Francis Bonnington MathewsNovember 27, 1923 - June 30, 2000
Francis "Moose" Mathews was a public-minded citizen, community leader and masterful attorney for over 52 years, his pro-bono services and dedication to his clients, including the American Indian tribes of the Hoopa Valley and Klamath River, are well . . . — Map (db m32627) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Anvil Firing
This monument dedicated to the fond remembrance of Archie Arbuckle who from false Armistice Day 1918 until his death July 11th, 1970 fired the anvil each 4th of July. Anvil firing has been a tradition with the Arbuckle family for 5 generations. . . . — Map (db m56137) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Cameron Building Site
In1852 the Cameron Bros. built a 2 story building. Madam La Batcheler purchased it in 1853 and operated the Golden Gate Saloon. Later known as the Polka Saloon, by 1855, the town lodges of ECV, Masons and Son of Temperance met in the upper story . . . — Map (db m56024) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Chinese Tong War
In the year 1854 on this site two belligerent Chinese Tongs fought a pitched battle, 2000 participated, 26 lost their lives, and many were wounded. — Map (db m56084) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Clifford Hall
Built by Richard Clifford in 1855. One of three two story Weaverville structures with outside circular staircases hand made by village blacksmiths. Once home of Mt. Bally Parlor No. 87, Native Sons of the Golden West. Dedicated by Grand Parlor, . . . — Map (db m56004) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — E Clampus Vitus 1855 & 1962 — r
The first chapter of ECV in Weaverville began in 1855. After a rocky start in the Sierra Nevada Gold County, the organization got a foothold in Mokelumne Hill, in 1851. The first Noble Grand Humbug for the Weaverville Chapter was John C. Burch, a . . . — Map (db m70304) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Hamilton’s Store
Near this site in April, 1850, William S. Hamilton, the son of Alexander Hamilton, established the first store in the basin. During a business trip to Sacramento he died from cholera, August 7, 1850. — Map (db m56002) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — I.O.O.F. Hall
Erected 1856 Purchased by I.O.O.F. 1865 Dedicated as Historical Building by I.O.O.F. and Trinity County Historical Society — Map (db m56016) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Joss House
This Joss House Was built in 1874 by Chinese Miners who came to the Trinity County in search of gold. — Map (db m56145) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Jumper Sawmill
In the 1880’s George Jumper established a steam powered sawmill 300' east of this monument, above the confluence of Little Brown’s Creek and China Gulch. An 80’ long building housed the mill. Oxen teams of ten or more were used to pull long, four . . . — Map (db m112566) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Lee Family Ranch House
This house built in 1917 by family members on land purchased from Mrs. J. Putnam is located adjacent to the 32 acre Lorenz Ranch farmed by the Lee family since 1906. Acquired from the Lee family in 1989 by Trinity County. — Map (db m56193) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Moving Mountains...
Searching for Gold Imagine a pile of dirt as big as 6 football fields and two miles high. That pile of dirt use to be where you are now standing. It is called Oregon Mountain. Hydraulic mining dissolved 90% of this mound in the . . . — Map (db m96543) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — New York Hotel
Built in 1854 as a single story frame building, it burned in the town fire of 1859 and rebuilt as a brick two-story. It was gutted in the big fire of 1863 and rebuilt. The hotel was known as the official stage stop until after the turn of the . . . — Map (db m56017) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Old SectionWeaverville Cemetery
We honor the earliest interments of our pioneers whose wooden crosses, slabs and markers have been destroyed by the erosion of time. They were immigrants and adventurers who answered the call of gold. Some stayed to become packers, merchants, . . . — Map (db m56135) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Old Weaverville Fire Station
This building, with its rammed earth wall was constructed by early Chinese settlers. On January 17, 1910, it was purchased by the Weaverville Fire District and was their fire station until 1949. In 1979, the local fire district, with . . . — Map (db m56020) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Pacific Brewery
One of four Gold Rush breweries in Weaverville, the Pacific Brewery building was built by Fred Walters in 1855. Walters sold to Lorenz and Hagelman in 1865. John Meckel bought the business from Lorenz in 1878. Meckel died in 1889, but the Meckel . . . — Map (db m56029) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Paymaster Mine Stampmill
The Paymaster Goldmine in Eastman Gulch, northeast of Lewiston, was located by Billy Richards, Bob Hamilton and Gene Goodyear in 1901. The original mill was built about 1904. The machinery was dismantled, restored and re-erected in this similar mill . . . — Map (db m56082) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Race Track – Airport – Golf Course
Once known as China Graveyard Ridge, by late August, 1871, Alex Love developed a racetrack on this site 550 yards in length. This popular quarter mile track saw the names of horses like “Hayfork Kitty” and “Hollywood” owned . . . — Map (db m56190) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Site of First Cabin
On this site was built the fist cabin and Weaverville named July, 8 1850 — Map (db m57963) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Spanish Corral
On this lot stood the Spanish Corral, a dance hall house of ill repute for over a decade during the Gold Rush. Two legislative acts of 1855, banned gambling and prostitution. Every fourth business in town was a saloon with ladies of the night, and . . . — Map (db m95696) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Spiral Staircases
The spiral staircases of Weaverville have always been a predominant part of this community’s architecture. The structures became a necessity because of the separate ownership of the upper and lower floors. This stairway, the first of these . . . — Map (db m56015) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — 778 — The La Grange Mine
This mine was originally known as the Oregon Mountain group of claims, first operated about 1862. In 1892 the mine was purchased by the La Grange Hydraulic Gold Mining Company which brought water from Stuart's Fork through 29 miles of ditch tunnels . . . — Map (db m32635) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — The Old Courthouse
At the head of Court Street next to the Catholic cemetery, J.F. Chillis in 1852, began building the first Trinity County courthouse. The twenty by sixty structure was three stories in 1853. The Trinity Masonic Lodge bought the third floor from the . . . — Map (db m124447) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Trinity Congregational Church
Established 1875 Erected 1891 — Map (db m56079) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Trinity County Courthouse
This building is one of the oldest courthouses in continuous use in California. It was built in 1857 by Henry Hocker as a hotel, store and saloon and was purchased by the Board of Supervisors in 1865. The rear section was added in 1935. The center . . . — Map (db m56001) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Weaverville / Mountain Charlie
Two plaques are on this monument: Upper Marker: Weaverville This town was created in 1850 by the early miners, merchants, craftsmen and worshippers as the gold mining and commercial center of the area. Here they built of brick, earth . . . — Map (db m56018) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Weaverville Basin Gold Discovery Site
In the bend of Rich Gulch near its junction with Ash Hollow five miners worked the winter of 1849-50, with the use of a log hollowed out to make a rocker. The rich pocket yielded five pounds of gold per day. The gulches in this district proved to . . . — Map (db m112476) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Weaverville Chinatown
Chinatown business district was centered in this area. On September 10, 1874, fire destroyed everything from the corner of Highway 3 & Main Street to the Pacific Brewery, except four adobe buildings. Again, on September 30, 1905, fire destroyed all . . . — Map (db m56027) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — Weaverville Drug Store
This property Weaverville Drug Store Established 1853 Has been place on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m56005) HM
California (Trinity County), Weaverville — 709 — Won Lim Miao
Hundreds of Chinese miners came to the Weaverville area in the 1850’s and prospered despite hardships, discrimination and tax on foreign miners. The first house of worship burned in 1873; the Chinese continued their religious traditions in the . . . — Map (db m56086) HM

57 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.