William Hogan, born January 20, 1804, established a plantation in the 1830s encompassing much of the present town of Hogansville. When he gave the right-of-way to the railroad in 1849, he stipulated that a depot be built where the railroad crossed . . . — — Map (db m22307) HM
Bellevue, home of United States Senator Benjamin Harvey Hill (1823-1882), was built in 1854-55 and typifies the Greek Revival architecture popular in the Old South. Jefferson Davis and other Confederate celebrities were frequent guests here. At the . . . — — Map (db m36996) HM
Benjamin Harvey Hill, one of the first to proclaim the New South industrial rather than agricultural, was born at Hillsborough, Jasper County, Sept. 14, 1823. Reared on a farm at Long Lane, Troup County, graduated with first honors at the University . . . — — Map (db m37158) HM
About 300 Confederate soldiers are buried here, most of whom died of wounds or disease in the several Confederate hospitals located in LaGrange. Most of these men served in the Confederate Army of Tennessee and participated in many bloody . . . — — Map (db m10499) HM
Dr. Ulrich Bonnell Phillips, historian, author, and teacher, was born Nov. 4, 1877, in or near LaGrange. He graduated from the University of Georgia and Columbia University, earning his Ph.D. from Columbia in 1902. His Ph.D. dissertation, Georgia . . . — — Map (db m22159) HM
East Depot High School, constructed in 1923, began in 1866 as LaGrange Academy. East Depot provided education for African-Americans in LaGrange. The school produced many outstanding alumni with careers in education, business, law, medicine, . . . — — Map (db m36481) HM
The Oakfuskee Trail, main branch of the noted Upper Creek Trading Path from the Savannah River to the Creek Indians of Central Alabama, passed this site, running east and west. Beginning at present Augusta, the route led this way via Warrenton, . . . — — Map (db m36173) HM
Born in LaGrange July 15, 1870, Fuller E. Callaway was a textile manufacturer, merchant, and philanthropist. In 1888, he established his first business on LaFayette Square just west of this point.
Organizing and operating textile mills, banks, . . . — — Map (db m14696) HM
George Michael Troup was born September 8, 1780 and died April 26, 1856. During Troup's tenure as Governor of Georgia (1823-1827), Troup County was created on December 16, 1826. Boundaries of original Troup County extended from the Flint River on . . . — — Map (db m11684) HM
Born a slave, Horace King became a master builder who constructed covered bridges over every large river between western Georgia and eastern Mississippi. King gained his freedom in 1846 through the Alabama legislature with the aid of his master, . . . — — Map (db m103136) HM
Born a slave September 8, 1807, Horace King became a noted builder of covered bridges and public buildings. His talents developed under the instruction of his master and friend, John Godwin. In 1846, Godwin secured King’s freedom through the Alabama . . . — — Map (db m22254) HM
Born at the Château de Chavaniac Auvergne, France, on September 6, 1757, Gilbert Motter De Lafayette became at age 19 a Major General on Georgia Washington's staff. He Played a vital role in the defeat of General
Charles Cornwallis at Yorktown, . . . — — Map (db m70849) HM
LaGrange College is the oldest non-tax supported institution of higher education in Georgia. It was chartered in 1831 as LaGrange Female Academy. The charter has been changed three times as the trustees altered the name to LaGrange Female Institute . . . — — Map (db m37013) HM
LaGrange College is the oldest non-tax supported institution of higher education in Georgia. It was chartered in 1831 as LaGrange Female Academy. The charter has been changed three times as the trustees altered the name to LaGrange Female Institute . . . — — Map (db m37015) HM
Lynching in America
Thousands of black people were the victims of lynching and racial violence in the United States between 1877 and 1950. The lynching of African Americans during this era was a form of racial terrorism intended to . . . — — Map (db m103140) HM
The Mulberry Street cemetery complex served the people of LaGrange and the South between 1863 and at least the 1930s. The oldest section is the Stonewall Jackson Confederate Cemetery where soldiers from all thirteen Southern states are buried. The . . . — — Map (db m103142) HM
The road running east towards Big Spring is a remnant of the Oakfuskee Trail, main branch of the noted Upper Creek Trading Path from the Savannah River to the Creek Indians of Central Alabama.
Beginning at present Augusta, Georgia the route . . . — — Map (db m36169) HM
The Muscogee Indian village of Ocfusknena was 1,000 yards from here. Nearby shoals in the river formed an ancient crossing for traders and travelers going west of the Chattahoochee. On Sept. 27, 1793, a group of Georgians, seeking to destroy the . . . — — Map (db m50919) HM
In 1863, a company of women soldiers was formed in LaGrange by Mrs. J. Brown Morgan. They called themselves the “Nancy Harts” in honor of Georgia’s Revolutionary War heroine. Organized to defend LaGrange in the absence of its men, the . . . — — Map (db m36376) HM
The Georgia State Legislature established Troup County and four other counties in West Georgia in 1826. After choosing a location near the geographic center of the county, local leaders named the new county seat after Chateau de Lagrange the French . . . — — Map (db m71574) HM
The first school in Troup County opened in LaGrange in 1828, just months after the county’s organization. Located just east of this spot, Troup Academy shared the lot with Hill View Cemetery. The county owned the building while a Board of Trustees . . . — — Map (db m35951) HM
Troup Factory, first cotton mill in Troup County, Georgia, was established in 1846 on Flat Shoals Creek by Robertson, Leslie & Co., of Meriwether County. Water powered carding, spinning and weaving, in a massive four-storied mill, produced famed . . . — — Map (db m11682) HM
800 yds. Northwest is the site of Fort Tyler ~ last Confederate fort to fall in the War Between the States. A force of Union cavalry captured Fort Tyler after an 8 hour siege.
19 Confederate engines and 340 [CS] railroad cars loaded with . . . — — Map (db m36930) HM
125 yards northwest, at crest of hill, stood Fort Tyler - last Confederate fort to fall in War Between the States. Fort Tyler was of earthwork construction 35 yds. square surrounded by ditch 12 feet wide, 10 feet deep and enclosed by wooden abatis. . . . — — Map (db m37086) HM
One hundred feet east in brick walled enclosure are buried 76 brave men, Confederate and Federal, Killed or died of wounds in the siege of Fort Tyler.
This engagement occurred April 16,1865, a whole week after the surrender of General Lee [CS] . . . — — Map (db m36765) HM
Colonel of the 15th Tennessee Volunteer Infantry (June 1861). Brigadier General (February 1864), he fought with gallantry in the Battles of Belmont, Shiloh, Perryville, Murfreesboro, Hoover’s Gap, Chickamauga and Missionary Ridge. In these . . . — — Map (db m36764) HM
East Face of Monument:
More enduring than marble shall be the memory of the Confederate patriot in whose life fidelity to principle found loftiest expression.
West Face of Monument:
A tribute of love from the women of . . . — — Map (db m59030) HM
Constructed in 1931, Tenth Street School provided an education for African-Americans in all grades. Over the years, graduates distinguished themselves in education, law, medicine, religion, government, and military. In 1956, a new school was built . . . — — Map (db m23119) HM
Troup and Harris County residents first settled at the crossroads of the LaGrange-Whitesville-Columbus Stagecoach route and the West Point to King's Gap
Road in the late 1820's. Named for local landowner, Christopher Columbus Jones (1831-1904 and . . . — — Map (db m14391) HM